Discussion If the world had a progression/skill interface

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cosmic_, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    If the world had a leveling system or skill progression system that showed you your stats or progression would you be more productive/motivated? NOTE: it only reflects or displays your skill/stats
    so the system isn't a cheat that can enhance you through it.

There are a lot of novels where the MC gets a game interface/UI/HUD in the modern or "real" world where they can see their physical stats like STR 35 WIS 10, etc. and also see their skill progression Sword Mastery Lv.4, etc. If you had a game interface system that displayed all of you current STATS. SKILL LEVELS, TITLES, etc. in real life(meaning the real and current you) that, HOWEVER, merely display them, would you be more productive or motivated in life?

The system is NOT A CHEAT. It only displays what you have currently. Picking up and swinging a sword won't give you Sword Mastery Lv.1! There is no mastery of anything just a guy swinging a stick. You'd actually have to learn (or have learned) through effort and time to get the skill. Everything like Names, Age, Job, Titles would also reflect real life, obviously. So if your job was Salaryman, it would show salaryman. There is no Player Level however so no leveling up, just skill/stat progression. You won't be able to benefit from the system. The Skill and Stats are also not fixed so sudden poor health could drop your STR, END, SPD, etc. temporary until you recover. If you lacked practice or use that result in skill dropping, it'll show so a Sword Master of LV.4 that hasn't been practiced could drop to Lv.3. Working out for a long time would increase Stats like STR and END,etc. but if you stopped working out and became lazy then it could drop. IT ONLY VISUALIZES REAL LIFE. It's only a display of progress and visual display of your current self.

ManFries likes this.
  2. sisterfister

sisterfister currently inside your sister

Reading List:
    Link
    does it show talents. this could make or break people

craz and AMissingLinguist like this.
  3. 12300

12300 [How many sheep can Snorlax count?]

Reading List:
    Link
    That would make discrimination even more emphasized. The differences between people are clear cut. The differences between abilities are clear. What you can possibly do is clear. There would be a split between people who have superior or inferior abilities. What you are thinking of is what they can do in the future. However, what they have at their current state sets them apart from others.

Lazriser and AMissingLinguist like this.
  4. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I propably would, because just in displaying my stats & skills, I could track the progress I make, instead of going down the "It's all useless, I'll never learn this stuff"-route. Though it might bump me out if it stops progressing, it would (most likely) not be worse than it is now.

otaku31, noarmado, ManFries and 2 others like this.
  5. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. I would still be a lazy mf

craz, starwarscards and Lianna like this.
  6. Mithun

Mithun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Medical Labs(expensive medical tests) will go out of business.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  7. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... It won't show talent. It will should your current progress in something so like if you had Sewing Lv.9, you'd learn your really good at sewing, but it won't like show you how EASILY OR YOUR AFFINITY towards something. There isn't a TALENT Stat. You'd have to pick up a sword, train, and see that your sword skill leveling is fast to discover talent. It's the same as real life. If it takes you an average amount of time to learn it, you're average. If you learn it super fast, you'd obviously learn you're a genius at it. It doesn't show potential just the current now.

8. Its Me Bart

Its Me Bart Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My IRL runescape adventure, it will motivate me but i guess is it will also limit us like for example you oly get this job when ur skill reaches this level, etc...

9. erichninja

erichninja Don’t think about it

Reading List:
    Link
    What the point of the leveling system?
    In this case I feel like calling it an interface a better option for the title

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  10. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably not. It still requires the effort, just having a visual display of levels isn't much different than real life for Strength.

Just a progress bar for skill-ups would be enough though. It's easy to drop something because you feel like you're not making any headway.

noarmado likes this.
  11. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    I would embrace my inner-RPG player and grind all day.

noarmado likes this.
  12. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    The interface is just for YOU. No one else knows about or has it. It's only a question of if YOU had it and it only showed you now, would visually and numerically seeing your current progress/stat motivate you to do better. It's a question of if a gamer had a game system, would they want to improve more. In games and as a gamer, it is more satifying to see my skill level grow. Real life you can't see progress definitely. You're easy okay, average, or a bit better. Only through a bunch of time, useless awards, or some other way, can you actually see how far you've progressed. Would seeing your own stats/skills grow through objective numbers motativate you to improve. It's about if seeing it make you improve, not the actual game interface or real life. Would visually seeing improvement and goals being accomplished be better?

13. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, probably should change that. I just want to know if seeing progress would make a person feel more like their effort is doing something. It's like if making a checklist of your things to do today actually makes a difference in your motivation and actual completion of tasks.

14. StaticHD

StaticHD Supreme Novel Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    So an Ai-system that gives you your current stats.

But how about an Ai-system that also gives you suggestions, analysis, and calculations. How about an Ai-system that is capable of recording information and transferring knowledge into your mind as you auto-memorize.

Pretty much an Ai-chip system that is connected to your brain/mind and assists you in life with the help of your own accumulated knowledge that is currently in your brain.

It won't be like an internet search engine (obtaining information from outsourcing material) But something similar to → Warlock of the Magus World. The knowledge has to be in your brain first, then it can assimilate answers from the provided brain knowledge.

I'm just saying that if the world had a leveling skill system, it wouldn't just stop there. The Ai-system would be capable of doing more for humans. Especially in the "knowledge" spectrum of things.

15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmmm it would be great to grind them if it has a automode function too

starwarscards likes this.
  16. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would love such a system, rather than feeling like I'm not learning something, I might feel motivated If I ould see my progress.
    :aww::aww::aww::aww::aww:

17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer is no, if anything it might do the opposite and demotivate as you see things fall down when neglected. As the saying goes, ignorance is bliss.

It might be fun at first, but like all things, once it looses its novelty, all motivation will disappear.

I mean lets be honest, you can make your own stat system in real life by setting benchmarks to represent stats.

1 pushup = 1 str
    1/10th mile run = 1 sta
    time to run 1 mile = agi

18. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I probably would not. This situation rests on the premise that this is either a law of the universe that began during the Big Bang, or that everyone suddenly knows about it and it's natural and should not be questioned, which is against the basis of scientific study.

If there were a progression system, then the only thing I know is role playing games becoming "simulations" rather than a different genre from adventure, action, platforming, etc.

There will also be a religion based on this phenomenon because it represents a new way to influence people. I'll call it "God's System".

19. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think so. I mean, what if it became a source of horror? Year after year, watching as my stats slowly dwindled away to the ravages of time, seeing the hard march of my body into oblivion. At least currently, I can live in denial if I'm not as strong or smart as I used to be :sweating_profusely:

20. blaze27

blaze27 ~ Lazy Shadow Lurker ~ |_⊙)

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: If sleeping and reading can be displayed as a skill then I wouldn't mind. I want to know my progress with those two but if it can't become a skill then no need.