Question Sword vs sabre Chinese novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Zerak, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so in Chinese novels they often talk about the two and I am not sure of the difference.
    Like does sword technique mean stabbing while sabre technique mean slashing?

2. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe sword = double edge, saber = one edge. Kind of the difference between a straight sword that has an edge on both sides, compared to like a cutlass that has a large curve and one edge only.

Edit: Something to add is that swords, at least in the Chinese sense should be straight, hence better for stabbing, whereas blades are typically curved making them better/stronger at hacking and slashing

Shance and rook14 like this.
  3. thesilvergunner

thesilvergunner Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think the difference is mainly in the style that the two are used.
    I believe that while the sword is more of a stabby, slashy type weapon;
    the saber is more of a hacking type weapon.

Zerak likes this.
  4. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    curved...swords...

Seraphic, Flufflebutter and Tebix like this.
  5. The Punisher

The Punisher The Order

Reading List:
    Link
    A
    a sword like wat the other guy said is two edge and the saber is bigger better for people who like strength and in naruto zabuza

6. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw this on spcnet.tv and it is pretty good:

A sword, or jian, has a sharp point and a two-edged blade. The sword is therefore mainly used to stab and slash.

A saber has one sharp edge and is also heavier than the sword, so it is mainly used to chop and cut.

Because the saber is blunt on one edge, the wielder can use his hand push the blade to add more power, which obviously cannot be done with the sword.

Anyway, the two weapons and its methods are very different.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthr...ence-between-a-sword-and-a-saber#.WgswyGhSxPY

Ruyi, Zerak and MangoGuy like this.
  7. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    A sword is an all around weapon. A sword can be used to defend, used for slashing, scraping, redirecting, piercing and a myriad of other ways like confusing sword dances and flexible blades. A sword as long as its fast enough can beat out most weapons. The Sword is the most adaptable weapon with the greatest amount of versatility so it is the King of weapons.

A saber do to its design can only be used in Slashing, Chopping, scrapping and piercing its no fast weapon until it attacks. A Saber is fierce and dominating its slashes fast and decisive. The Saber is a mostly if not only a pure offensive weapon. The saber is meant for direct confrontations and extremely fierce.

Well this is what I can gleam from the stories... I like both and wish there were more Saber stories.

8. rook14

rook14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What he said. :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

9. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking at the physics behind things, a sword only has ~ 2-4 inches at the tip that is useful for slicing. So if you want to slice something, the most effective way is to slice it with only the tip of your sword, hence it should be lighter to be masterfully wielded. The length of the sword itself can be used to block, but in terms of hacking or slashing you lose a lot of cutting ability due to the flat surface. The long flat surface distributes the force of the attack across the length of the contact, which means if you're striking something hard like armor, the force can be dispersed across ~5-10 inches across the chest.
    For blades, the one edge with a large curve makes it unsuitable for stabbing (you can, but it's harder due to the asymmetry of the blade, one side having an edge and curve whereas the other side doesn't). But in terms of hacking and slashing, the curve prevents flat contact with the edge, focusing and concentrating the force of the attack onto a single point of contact that may be across ~1 inch instead. Hence for blades, you not only want a curved edge to focus the force, but you want a heavier metal to increase mass, thereby increasing force overall.

lychee likes this.
  10. icjingshi

icjingshi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like Vudoodude said, the swords in chinese novels are two-edged and looks pretty much like depicted in western movies and fantasy novels except they do not have a big hilt like say in the movie Braveheart. They are one handed and about 3-4 feet long if you look at wuxia movies or go to a chinese curio shop.
    As for sabers I think most people are familiar with the sabers that the western cavalry uses and that is not how the sabers in Chinese novels are. I think in the movie Crouching Tiger, Michelle Yeoh's character used one. It only has one edge and is a bit curved and has a wider blade than the sword. It is about the same width as a sword at the hilt but then becomes wider, kind of like a crescent moon shape, to then end up in a point. They are also one handed. Think the guards in Disney's Aladdin.

11. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fellow godlike youngman would use fists.

12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Just imagine rapier - sword - saber - club. from rapier that'd do no damage when slashing / could break but easily pierces, to less piercing and more forceful attacks.

13. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    A real sword has curve

Naraku likes this.
  14. spotmarkedx

spotmarkedx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Best way to illustrate? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon scene. Michelle Yeoh's first weapon is a saber. The sword (Green Destiny) wielded by the younger actress (I forget her name) is integral to the plot, but best to think of it almost as a magic weapon, given how easily it cuts through other blades:

lychee, Westeller and icjingshi like this.
  15. Sheynox

Sheynox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry but a spear is almost always better than a sword. At least in reality. :/

16. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference is somewhat simple. Do you want to slash or stab more effectively ? Both can do the other thing as well, but not as effectively.

17. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    *doesn't know if his mind is dirty or he really meant that sword*

18. icjingshi

icjingshi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Great clip. Exactly what I had in mind but did not know how to embed video or pictures. It also has a pretty good representation of the weapons that most wuxia novels use, although I have not read anyone (either MC or villain) use that double hook sword (think the third weapon?). Also I have rarely seen the last weapon Michelle Yeoh used, the two handed sword, in wuxia movies or novels. Not that I am an expert on the genre. But when it comes to two handed weapons they usually use spear, a heavy club (like that heavy stick that she used but in various shapes) or Guan Dao (google it). That two handed sword seems more western to me.

spotmarkedx likes this.
  19. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember reading that most modern people over estimate how sharp a point a sword had in history. Even though they were also used for stabbing, the fighters often just hacked until metal smithing got better and better.

20. LordLaw

LordLaw Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope as with everything about combat, it depends entirely on the circumstance at hand.
    The terrain, weather and physical condition of the combatants has more say in how the fight will go rather than the weapons themselves. Of course that is with no firearms in the equation otherwise its an entirely different philosophy.

lychee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.