Discussion Cultivators in CN novels, and flying close to the ground

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sytrite, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sytrite

Sytrite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There comes a time in many CN novels, when the MC is in the wilderness, be it mountains, or forests, and "wouldn't dare to fly" because "all the monsters for miles around would immediately spot and attack them". This has bothered me for quite some time. Why doesn't anyone ever think to fly closer to the ground, below the treeline, instead of up in the open air?

2. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess maybe because of vines/rattans. Also nothing makes sense in most chinese novels. Besides if they did that they wouldnt be able to find some heaven defying shit.

otaku31, viprei, craz and 8 others like this.
  3. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or in the clouds, or fly through the crown of trees near the top where there aren't a lot of branches. This is just one among many stupid, stupid, things that they "rationalize" in these books.

Best advice: don't think about it.

4. Acedia

Acedia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because if they did they couldn’t “randomly” stumble across some secret cave, find some rare 10000 year old plant, bump into an arrogant young master, or all of the above.

Fuyuneko, craz, fireclaws and 8 others like this.
  5. Pleasantly-plump

Pleasantly-plump Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're gonna fly.........It's got to be in style. (y)

Sytrite and S4TY4 like this.
  6. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    Giant Bird Eating Spiders, webs, wood element jinzhi.

Maxwell and pietothesky like this.
  7. leonkam96

leonkam96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They hv weird common sense, since they dont think at all and even made their world stagnant for like several thousand year without changes.
    Thus, they will do the same thing n repeat it over n over again... like not fly close to ground

8. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    because if they did so, there wouldnt be drama, and the author imagination didnt remember it.

The only occasion I saw it happen (that I can remember right now) was in Chaotic Sword God, the mc and his party is in a place that if someone or something fly over ten meter high will be destroyed... or swallowed... or teared in pieces... or... you got it.

craz and Sytrite like this.
  9. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
  10. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think about it, flying near the ground in a forest would infinitely be more annoying than traveling on foot in a forest. I doubt cultivators fly because they just do. There has to be some conscious thought put into flying, thus making the mental calculations much more "real" in their minds, as they have to navigate as they fly. :hmm::notlikeblob::blobsalute:

Edit: Also, cultivators started out as mortals; they're more familiar with traveling on foot than traveling via flying. It is more realistic as thinking of flying as a means of traveling long distances in a shorter amount of time. :blobdrool:

11. KKristen

KKristen Crazy Cat Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume when you fly, you do it because you want to fly fast, and in a relatively straight line. When you're in a densely wooded forest, you can't go that fast, or else you end up getting caught in vines and bushes, and smashing into trees like storm troopers. If you can't fly quickly, then you might as well save your energy to walk/run.

At least that's what I think.

readerz, fuzor100 and Sytrite like this.
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz fly close to ground required more control than free roam~ despite most cultivator can awesomely control flying sword to marvelous level but most of flying ability control is suck~ they can be fast but fast and perfect control? nope they suck!!!!!!!!!!
    suck! idiot and blablabla noooooooob!

or something like that I guess~ 19668.png

Sytrite likes this.
  13. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt an author has ever thought in those situations "flying would be dangerous here, so I'll have the character avoid it", instead it's "I don't want the character flying here, so I'll use this excuse for why they don't".

Sytrite likes this.
  14. Sytrite

Sytrite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The different points of view on the subject are certainly interesting. Thanks for the input.

15. Avitue

Avitue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In aviation, the term used for flying along the contours, in close proximity to the ground surface is Nap-of-the-Earth (NOE) Flight. And guess what? It's used to Minimize Detection in a High-threat environment. Note however, that this kind of flight is much harder and more dangerous compared to normal in-open-air flight, due to obstructions all over the place.

When you consider that flying likely consumes more energy and thought compared to walking, it makes sense to just walk instead of fly when you have to go low anyway tbh.

readerz, fireclaws and Sytrite like this.
  16. Shikon

Shikon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading your comment, I was imagining body cultivators flying into and smashing through trees Superman-style. OUT OF THE WAY PUNY TREES! :blobrofl:

KKristen and Sytrite like this.
  17. Eve

Eve Title under construction

Reading List:
    Link
    if he's in the mountains and forests then it'll be a hassle to control and fly close to the ground because the path is mostly (unstable, unleveled) not flat and full of trees.
    Unless you can hear eurobeat coming closer from behind, expect doriftu tym and some dejas vu xD

Sytrite likes this.
  18. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if that specific situation really repeats itself across the genre. Sometimes it is flying too high. Sometimes it's not necessarily monsters that kill you but dangerous elements in the area. Also monsters might not necessarily be seeing you but sensing you. If you're the only one above the treeline then you're going to stick out in the senses of everything in range. Otherwise you're just another thing in the forest. Basically walking is the cultivator being cautious.

19. Sytrite

Sytrite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, now I have deja vu stuck in my head...

20. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    If cultivator start jumping from tree to tree, they will become ninja instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.