Recommendations Novels with more than 1 character with MC's name

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by wonderer, Nov 15, 2017.

1. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So in mainly CN, cultivation novels, its set in a big vast world, and one of cliches of these novels, is that when the MC introduces himself/herself, the other person goes "surely it cannot be XXX who did blah blah blah, heaven defying genius so on and so forth, XXX continent is so large that its common for people to have the same name, its probably a person with the same name"

But there's never a case of this, the MC never meets a person with the same name, at least from the CN that i read. other than if they just so happen to transmigrate, then of course the body they took over just so happens to have the same name.

this fact has annoyed me quite a bit.

So please reccomend me a novel where the MC meets someone with the same name as him/her-self.

2. Wenhui

Wenhui One Who Kidnaps Chapters

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I think Coiling Dragon only half qualifies.
    Main character Linley meets someone called Leylin and the two are surprised their names are similar, only reversed.

wonderer and otaku31 like this.
  3. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, yeah. It's bad writing to introduce cannon fodder with the same name as the MC, unless you want people to drop your book.

wonderer likes this.
  4. wonderer

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, but in most novels, its emphasized so much how there could be countless people with the same name as the MC, i just want it to happen for once.

SayMrrp likes this.
  5. rook14

rook14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll make one for you.
    Two people meeting.

Person A: Hello my name is Fcck, nice to meet you.
    Person B: Oh, you're name is Fcck? My name is Fcck too.
    Person A: Woah, you're name is Fcck too? I guess we're both Fccked.
    Person A&B: Hahahaha

zeus, agilan, AshCrow and 8 others like this.
  6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are most likely to encounter such a scenario (with a twist, that is) when reading transmigration novels.

An example would be Sovereign of the Three Realms where MC takes over a body of a guy sharing the same name as him.

7. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In LMS, it is mentioned alot the there are many characters named 'Weed' but as far as I remember the MC never meets any of them.

SayMrrp likes this.
  8. Shirai

Shirai 『 Silent ł Bored 』『 Rebel ł Butler 』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just saying, there are many characters(words) in chinese that has almost identical pronunciation. Translating it into english pin yin is even more confusing since eg Lin can be read in different ways.

So I would assume it means names that sound the same but are written differently.

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/sinograms.html
    Try searching just 'da' into the search, see how many results there are

9. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    I must be tired as hell, I'm actually laughing to tears:blobsweat:

SayMrrp and rook14 like this.
  10. iCataclysm

iCataclysm [Sleepy Slime] [Skullie's Unwilling Pokemon no.2]

Reading List:
    Link
    There may be a lot of people with the same name as you but it doesn't mean you have to meet them (unless you're acting like a normal human).

In most novels, the MC are doing something humans aren't even usually doing

11. wonderer

Reading List:
    Link
    doesn't that mean there should be a greater chance that people would have similar names in pinyin due to this? yet it still doesn't happen often.

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

Really? Most CN novels they have a ton of people with almost the same name. To the point where you sometimes confuse characters, not the MC but others.

Other than that, CN novels tend to revolve around clans, and the MC usually comes from a clan. There would be no one with same last name as the MC unless they are from the same clan. As for first names, I would figure the clan makes sure there is no one living that have the same first name not to create confusion.

Fallion and SayMrrp like this.
  13. maskhara

maskhara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think of mc names though.... they arent names people in real life have.... names like rex blade alex slayer.... names that are plausable but utterly absurd because no one irl has them as they are far too flashy and you e2ill find maybe five ppl with that name total... im pretty suree thats how it is for cn as well

14. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Not necessarily true in the translation. And, even if it is the case that two people have the same syllables in their name, that doesn't mean that their name is spelt the same in Chinese. Think of Ichigo in Bleach, where his name translates into First Guardian, but the same syllables can mean Strawberry. Translators will often take this into consideration, and slightly change the names in a similar fashion. In other words, having a Shi Ku, a Shi Ciu and a Shi Xu in a chinese story could happen easily with the actual spoken of their name in Chinese be the same/similar. And I have seen characters in Chinese Translated novels with names about that close to the MC's a few times.

Please note, I do not speak Chinese, and made up those three names just as an example, and thus they are not based on actual Chinese names.

wonderer likes this.
  15. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    This is tough cuz you'd find even if they're the same in English, they are written with different native characters, thus defeating the purpose

SayMrrp and wonderer like this.
  16. Shikon

Shikon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno... With the shit most MCs pull, if I discovered that I had the same name as one, I would get a name change ASAP lest I be killed by their enemies :blobdead::blobhero:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  17. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay now I want a story of a mc whose troubles start from having the same name as another mc like character that caused shit to go down everywhere and how he deals with it and maybe surpasses the other guy.

Manor and SayMrrp like this.
  18. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh, I hate that actually.

Too many novels where the MC rebirths or transmigrates to another world or timeline to a body with the same name...

otaku31 likes this.
  19. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    right? each big city usually has billions of ppl, but I too can only remember one novel that someone has the same name of the mc, but its only a side character... in Legend of the Cultivation God, its on still untranslated chapters.

there are a lot of slips/situations the authors doesnt think through, with how big the city usually is and with how poor the botton of the pyramid is (this should be more than 70% ppl), it should be impossible for the survive, forget about feeding them, the poor ppl shouldnt have enough to buy food even if there is supply in the market.

The core (monster core or whatever is called in the novel), alchemy (or whatever main profession the mc has) and weapon market is unlimited, there is no law of supply and demand whatsoever.

somehow the main market is a auction house where 99% of the guest ppl are only there to watch the show, and are supposed to pay a very high fee just to do that, to watch.

the ppl richness is inconsistent, like:
    realm 0 ppl are supposed to have between 1-99 ss (spirit stone or whatever its called)
    realm 1 ppl 100-999
    realm 3 - 1,000-9,999
    but it doesnt work this way, there should be a very big difference between ppl who amass richness and those who dont, like, every someone of the botton food chain would be richer than someone on the top if he is a gifted merchant... I'm not sure if I made my point clear, anyway, the CN authors love to use the cultivation realm as a range of how much riches one has, but it doesnt really work like that.

The excuse of how ppl are unable to advance in cultivation sucks.

The mc enemies who are old, somehow seems to be the most afraid of death, I have never seen or know about a elderly turning into a psychopathic who is afraid of death.
    Ppls mood is supposed to be something really important in cultivation, and the higher ones realm the more easy-going ppl should be, but no, the higher the realm the more they seem to resemble mortals... in fact, the entire novel is so, the conflicts is usually for things like power and riches not much different from the secular world... only the scale and destruction is a bit higher, though I htink they still lose to us.