Spoiler Falling Leaves Without Trace

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Ashie, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Ashie

Ashie *Hides*

Reading List:
    Link
    Summary from catharcity’s site:
    Beyond the windows is the brilliance of the sun,
    The gathering of rosy clouds to form a frantic orbit —
    It is said that, after our death, our soul will pass by there,
    Looking down from above, we will have a final glimpse of the world of the living…

Seems to be similar to One Night, One Day, One Year, One Lifetime. So spoilersss? @catharcity

And ended up in tragedy right? ;-;

sharlnina likes this.
  2. catharcity

catharcity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think One Lifetime was inspired by this book.

One Lifetime is divided into two arcs; the first from He Yujin (FL)'s pov, the second from Gao Fei (ML)'s. Whereas Falling Leaves Without Trace only has one pov, which is from Cheng Siying's (FL). Comparing He Yujin and Cheng Siying's arc, Cheng Siying's life was a lot sadder.

Unlike Gao Fei, Xiao Huan (FLWT's ML) willingly married Cheng Siying in order to succeed her father's corporation. Whereas Gao Fei, in his pride and stubbornness, refused to touch a single cent from He Yujin. Gao Fei was loyal and faithful to He Yujin throughout their marriage, while Xiao Huan continued to have casual flings with his then-girlfriend, Luo Qing.

I don't know if you've read Pierre Choderlos de Laclos's Dangerous Liaisons, but I felt that the characters in FLWT are similar to the characters in Dangerous Liaisons... Xiao Huan and Luo Qing are extremely smart and overachieving people, viewing the world as a game, kind of like Marquise de Merteuil and the Vicomte de Valmont, whereas Cheng Siying was a very down-to-earth, unpretentious person, like Madame de Tourvel...

It ended in a tragedy. The entire book follows Cheng Siying's pov. The ending is extremely abrupt. When Cheng Siying died, the story ends immediately. There's no third-person narrator which tells us what happens to Xiao Huan after Cheng Siying died. It's just The End. The reader will never know Cheng Siying's last words, because she died before she could say them... in a way, the finality of death is very heavy in FLWT. Does it matter how Xiao Huan regrets after Cheng Siying died? She died, and that's the end of the story. There's no could-have-beens or might-have-beens...

Noenelle, sharlnina, Huepute and 3 others like this.
  3. Ashie

Ashie *Hides*

Reading List:
    Link
    But did we know if ML ever liked MC? And how did MC died?

4. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    SFLR, but yeah, he did. It's one of those stories where after realising the Cheng Siying has a terminal illness, he suddenly realises what he feels. He didn't like her originally because he thought that she was a simple woman who couldn't keep up with him (which is true), but in the end, he realised he was the foolish one, because love doesn't have to be based on intellect. He came to like Cheng Siying because of who she is.

She died from cancer. She didn't even manage to finish her last words, and the story ended just like that. It's extremely final, extremely abrupt. The author did not say what happened to Xiao Huan in the end either. It's all up to the reader's interpretation...

5. xnekox

xnekox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh my god just reading your summary is making my heart hurt D=
    I think I'll pass this one T_T

6. catharcity

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I tempt you with the audiobook though? ^^ The narrator's voice is crazy good + it's a short novel so it won't hurt too much

http://www.ximalaya.com/9480066/album/268725/

AbsoluteMeowster likes this.
  7. Deleted member 282232

Deleted member 282232 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Such is the finality of death. Cheng Siying died, now no matter who regrets, who misses, who crumbles, who remembers or who simply moves on; it would've nothing to do with her as she lays resting in peace. A very bitter novel.

8. darkcrystal

darkcrystal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how could he think he's above everything when he tricked a rich girl because of her father's property basically he used her to climb up and yet had that audacity to belittle fl but what about fl how could a person can tolerate so much I don't know one side I m crying other side I m cursing atleast there should be a chapter where I can see ml suffer his karma similarly how fl goes through all because of him Ugh.:(:mad: