Recommendations Angst Novels Pls (RRL or Western)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Katra1212, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Katra1212

Katra1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been self abusing my heart reading these gut wrenching novels. Its soo good. It really woke me up from my dillusions of happiness after reading tons of fluffy novels. Like a slap and said, hey this is reality. It just so happens that the MC from the Suddenly, this Summer really gets to me. It's actually a mellow angst but if my life were to become a drama, I'd say it would be her. Our principles in life, hesitations of the future, fear of the unspoken distance, and views in love were so spot on. As if I could see my self in her. I guess the only difference was that she was able to open her heart to exprience love, whereas mine... dunno where I even placed it.

Okay, I'm not being dramatic, the novel is just that good for me. So can you please recommend me tragic romance novels from RRL or western novel with good character development that would make you love the characters so much only for them to die later on (or maybe they can also be revived/reincarnated). Modern or Historical is fine. HE or BE only (no OE pls) if its finished, or if you know the ending (spoiled). I just want to feel the angst. I've read most of tragic novels in novelsupdate so please recommend me something outside of it.

Novels like:
    Suddenly, this Summer for NA type
    Tong Hua Novels for historical and modern
    Or if you have read any of catharcity rec and translated novels, just like her One Night, One Day, One Year, One Lifetime. :cry::blobsleepless: This novel will not leave you feeling empty/roadkilled after reading, even if its a BE, I actually feel too full till its painful. The author is so good at hiding her intentions between her dialogues. Both of the main characters are pitiful creatures. And the ending is just perfect, even if its tragic. I wish there could have been more novels like this. I really like the translators recommendation, unfortunately majority of them are not yet translated.

2. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    try naruto(Self-Insert) fanfics, the angst lvl is more than 900000

3. MrLLama

MrLLama Just a Fancy Llama.

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a feeling anything from mooderino on RRL would fit the angst bill... But probably most pronounced it would be in his story Bitter.

4. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. xjdifyx

xjdifyx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Inuyashiki - the antagonist kills people in Japan, freaking killing people in Japan, the most peaceful country with pacifist stance that makes every police to carry some bed to get some potential criminals

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  7. hammyhamham

hammyhamham Only existing and not living

Reading List:
    Link
  8. root

root Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm..this is a manga and is not as hearth wretching as I belive you are looking, but it has some drama, and wuite the sad ending
    VAMPIRE JUUJI KAI - FALLEN VAMPIRE

10. catharcity

catharcity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad you enjoyed One Lifetime ^^

I have some recs for western novels! Well, only three actually. There are a lot more angst/ tragedy c-novels than western novels. In all my years of reading western novels, the only books which made me cry & left a very deep impression in me were Wuthering Heights (but you've probably read this already?), Dangerous Liaisons (the English translation of Les Liaisons Dangereuses) and Anna Karenina.

Anna Karenina is something I've read only once, and never dared to re-read it ever again, even though the entire story is burned into my mind. I don't think I will ever forget it. Brutal character development, very, very heavy and tragic.

Anna Karenina is a classic set in Russia, about the affair between the Countess Anna Karenina, a married noblewoman, and Count Vronsky. But it's also so much more than that.

With that premise, the author does a very good job in portraying the conflicts within the characters... They were never meant to be "good" characters, but they are very human, and you feel for them, even though you may disagree with their choices. It's like watching a slow-moving train-wreck, knowing that it's going to end badly, but being powerless to do anything about it.

And the ending... she commits suicide by throwing herself under a train. I cried so hard when I read this part. But, by that time, I think that was the best ending there was for her. You can feel her despair written into every word of the novel.

On NovelUpdates: Passion Heaven

Give it a try even with the low ratings. It's another must-read for modern day angst/ tragedy novels. It's part of a trilogy.

The first novel (which has been completely translated) is the story between Xia Mu and Shu Yawang.

The second novel (the favourite of most fans, also the saddest) actually revolves around the story of the antagonist, Qu Yuran, in the first book.
    Qu Yuran was the one who raped Shu Yawang
    It's amazing how you can go from hating a character, to feeling sad for him. If this isn't character development (or the author's skill), then I don't know what is.

And one more on NovelUpdates: Cry Me A Sad River

The title & summary doesn't do this book justice. The original chinese title sounds a lot better. Our Sorrow Flows Like the River (?) It's a very famous book in China, but I'm not sure why no one has heard of it here. (??)

Anyway, some spoilers for you to decide if you want to read this:

There are four main characters.

Qi Ming (ML): the person both Yi Yao (FL) and Gu Senxiang (2nd FL) loved. Originally, he thought he understood Yi Yao very well. Later, he wronged Yi Yao (thinking that Yi Yao caused the death of Gu Senxiang), and wanted her to surrender herself to the police. When Yi Yao committed suicide to prove her innocence, he followed thereafter.

Yi Yao (FL): she has a very troubled/ conflicted childhood. Towards the end, everyone she loved accused her of causing Gu Senxiang's death. Coupled with her mother's death, she was basically on the path of destruction. She committed suicide to prove her innocence.

Gu Senxi (2nd ML): Gu Senxiang's younger brother. He loves Yi Yao, but after the death of his sister, he too did not believe in Yi Yao. Out of the four main characters, he was the only one who survived.

Gu Senxiang (2nd FL): Gu Senxi's elder sister. She was Qi Ming's girlfriend. Because of Tang Xiaomi's jealousy, she was raped, and committed suicide, precipitating the chain of events.

11. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    that's a plot twist master, I don't have any words for it when it comes to twisting everything too much twist

Paps likes this.
  12. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it was, when you though you understood his situation they threw you the Alien stuff, then the one that created the black swan magic and what used as base material, and the fact that MC knew all this things all along made me love this manga so mutch. Not to mention that he was OP as hell.

youseiki likes this.