Question Wtf is it with jp novels and food?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mk5099, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oI_Io

oI_Io Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the first time I heard Chinese peasant eat gruel. Most of time I actually read that ancient Chinese peasant was eating good food compared to the world. Pork and duck based food are common, so does noodle and rice.

2. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    HP is considered to be in our world, so its ok to see our food there.

but most jp novels is ppl going to another world, how to find the same types of food and seasoning there?? if it was substitutes, it would be ok, but no, they find and make the same propaganda of rice being the best food in the world! and ofc, they are using chopsticks!!

runsing, otaku31 and readerz like this.
  3. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard the japanese have a very stressfull, strict and demanding lifestyle.
    Theres lot of expectation going on from the people around them in their society.
    So the novels they make are usually a form of relaxation..
    Something about having fun with cheats in another world, having a harem, slice of life..
    And ofcourse, food plays a big part of their culture.
    Enjoying good food and taking baths in an onsen is the ultimate form of relaxation for the japanese.
    So its only natural that we see it a lot in their novels.
    We as foreigner might not be able to relate with it at all..
    But then again, the novel isnt written for foreigners.. theyre written for their own countrymen in a japanese laguage.
    Not to mention that every people in each country have different taste buds palate.
    What you think is delicious might just taste like plain food for people of other country.
    Ofcourse the oposite is also true.
    You cant stand it you say?
    Then dont read..
    Were the little fishes that is out of the target of audience anyway.
    We do nothing to support the authors.
    We dont even raise their view count on syosetu, much less buy the japanese light novel when it is printed..
    Do people streaming an anime ever buy any japanese's anime blue ray ?
    People still complains anyway..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  4. Zeroni

Zeroni Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good O' Japenese food circle jerk. Every country has it 'cultural' food, however the oriental countries are not very adventurous when it comes to food so they mainly eat their cultural food. Western culture is open minded and adopts food from a variety of cultures. It a little annoying to read about mediocre food constantly praised as the best thing since sliced bread, but it is understandable when you realize that the author hasn't been exposed to as many foods as the average westerner. That being said... They love Jasmine rice... Why? because, it is clucking delicious.

Ai chan and TheNewGuy like this.
  5. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of rice is it then? The rice i know that is sticky is glutinous rice....

6. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The complaint was why does these novels always mention something about their native food and make it sound like only Japanese do it. That is not true, not true at all, as my examples provide. Mentioning food is so common with any fiction. It is always there.

As for how those MCs find them... a lot of these things like rice and seasonings are available in the ancient times.

Japanese rice or uruchimai. Also known as sushi rice. It is sticky.

7. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    They will eat all sorts of stuff we would consider garbage, you can't say they aren't adventurous, and the rice isn't ordinary, it's been selectively bred throughout recorded history, not something you can find in a medieval ages otherworld, unless someone brought it over.

otaku31, readerz and TheNewGuy like this.
  8. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HUH? How would you know what oriental countries eat. Did you actually live or even just visit there? Like, Chinese eats cockroaches... would you? And how about Tofu... many westerners hate it. And have you tried eating silk worms... no?

9. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well my japanese friend eat anything i throw at them when they visiting me, and getting homesick after a few month and end up carry me to the japanese restaurant, of course i'm not complaining, free food have no sin

CountryMage likes this.
  10. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever had Japanese mayo~?
    It has different ingredients that american mayo and tastes different.

runsing likes this.
  11. gaulby

gaulby [Space Rabbit] [Rappy Slaughterer] [Eviscerator]

Reading List:
    Link
    First, as stated, the food from medieval period (which most WNs and LNs takes place) is vastly different from what we have today. Especially equipment. Other than that, the cross-breeding of plants to yield the better and more tastier fruits and grains we enjoy today came from the base plants. Which is where those people from the medieval and the past generations started with. The same is true with cattle and other meat sources. They don't have the high quality feeds we use today to produce the best meat we can enjoy.

Second, you're not the target audience. Accept that. Most of the WNs and LNs are written for Japanese people, so if you could not let that seep in, you can't enjoy what they wrote. To be honest, them writing about their food shows a bit of their culture. I mean, complaining about a story where you're not even the main target of the story is pointless. It's a like pointlessly rambling about a food to be given to others but you refused to think that and wanted that to be yours.

Third, if you'll watch anime, they usually have home economics class where they were taught how to cook. So them remembering some recipes is not a huge issue. After all, we all have different curriculums based on country and school.

12. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    or thermite alates lol, or cow guts, chicken (almost all part of it including foot and the other part westener usually throw lol)

13. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chopsticks.
    Sticks to chop... food.

14. oI_Io

oI_Io Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously saying oriental countries is not adventurous? Oriental countries are much more adventurous, as they have much more type of food sources than western cuisine. Chicket guts, cow guts , blood, tons of spices, many kind of fishes, quickly adopting chilis and tomatoes, teas, snail, snakes, insects , fermented soy based foods including soy sauce miso and tofu, various kind of grain (except corn), and esoteric food westerners mostly not eating (dog, cat for example). Various kind of way of prepare it and mix and match.

otaku31 and readerz like this.
  15. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really sure what's behind this phenomenon, but I suspect that it has something to do with how so many Narou novels are written in a conversational 2ch-esque style. The protagonists of these stories travel to a world of near infinite possibilities, but they all seemingly end up using Dragon Quest as a base and make bringing the creature comforts of Japan to their new home a priority.

runsing likes this.
  16. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz the Japanese people really love their food :aww:

Now waiting for other people to make threads about:

Wtf is it with cn novels and raping women and making them fall in love with the mc? :blobamused:

Wtf is it with kr novels and grinding grinding grinding grinding grinding grinding grinding grinding

runsing and Nino Sasou like this.
  17. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    I want sushi

18. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    I seen this one recently, I think....

readerz likes this.
  19. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese mayo is different from Western Mayo. It's sweet and taste really good with fritters.

Well... I think most food depiction is because of the nostalgia value.
    I mean, I do enjoy westerners food but I still will miss the humble coconut rice and tempe bacem...

20. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    They grew up with chopsticks. Personally, i'm not that adept with them, but if you are, they can be a lot more handier than normal utensils with some foods. And to some degree might be more sanitary, and some of the civilizations might not have metal utensils.

As for how they find it... the isekai worlds tend to have very similar climates as our world, no ? And most of our foodstuff were one grown in the wild before started being farmed, no ? So it makes sense that with a similar climate, similar plants would grow. And with similar plants, they could recognize them.

99 others, runsing and Ai chan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.