LCD Martial Arts Master

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Series link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/martial-arts-master/

For those very strange people who come to the LCD to find out about the series:
    Don't expect this to be an action series. It's got action in it; multiple chapters in a row dedicated to it even, but it's definitely not the main theme. It's about romance, slice of life, action and training in that order, with a very heavy emphasis on the first two.

The romance is between two college students who have never dated before and is of the super sweet and innocent variety, thought I expect they'll wind up having sex long before the end of the series. The slice of life aspects are of the realistic, non-comedy variety, so don't expect K-On or whatever. The action is on a fairly small scale, person to person, no city destroying powers here. I expect that at high levels of attainment, a person being able to crush a tank into paste would be fairly normal, but the MC is very, very far from that level, and will likely remain that way for a very long time. And the training is fairly generic and low key with some visualization stuff tossed in. Honestly, it's the part that gets the least focus by far.

This is a slow series, and some chapters definitely feel like they've got a lot of extra padding. That said, the chapters are quite long, so even if you skim over the padding, it'll still seem longer than most other works listed on this site.

It's also worth noting that some chapters have truly terrible translation. Just power through it. It'll get better again in 1-2 chapters.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is it with web novel authors and having their protagonists punch people's fists? It's quite possibly the single stupidest thing you could do in a fight.

I kinda wonder why the author gave him a cheat item. It's kinda out of sync with the rest of the series, and there's enough supporting lore for him to actually be the genius he pretends to be. Was it just to pull in fans who were expecting the cliche or what?

I 100% disagree with her parents. I think you should have as many monogamous relationships as you can while your still young enough that your partner will forgive your mistakes. That way, when you meet Mr/Mrs Right, you'll be able to catch him/her and develop a relationship that can last. The important bit for protecting her future is multiple types of contraceptives and a strong sense of what her priorities should be.

I wonder if the coach's dream of his team losing will finally happen this time ;)

By the way, please don't respond to any of my posts with spoilers from the locked chapters.

2. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    Because without the cheat he wont become strong fast,since he already miss out the best time for training.

As for the fist on fist, its better than having enemy fist landed on your body. Plus info and advantage can be gain with this confrontation. Well its only my opinion and it rarely will happen in a real fight

3. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, people in universe don't think his growth rates are unbelievable, just rare. This means that the cheat item wasn't really necessary for him to be this kind of late blooming genius.

The bones in the fist are quite weak. Much weaker than your ribs for instance. Anything that your chest couldn't take, would straight up shatter your hand. So when two people throw enough force to smash stones into each others fists, both fists should turn to paste.

4. PenguinXeus

Reading List:
    Link
    Rare like those in the legend, or current great one.
    With out the cheat MC is only average or below average talent.
    if it was only an average MC without cheat it would be boring to read,
    MC need some kind of edge over stronger enemy that will show up later which i assume and predict,
    it always exciting to watch David vs Goliath match with MC as David

Keyword 'should', who knows maybe the fist in those universe are harder

5. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, it's true that punching a punch is absolutely retarded in real life but since in martial arts novels their bones and skin are much more durable it obviously won't end bad for them.
    As for giving him a cheat, I think it was necessary. And author didn't go too far with the cheat so I am perfectly okay with this one. I mean, his cheat sure made it a lot easier for him to get past the initial stages of martial arts and body building but now that he's past that initial point, everything depends on how hard he practices, how talented he really is and how good his strategies are.

But I just wanted to say that I am SO glad this series is being translated. I love novels with romance as the main point supported with action the most. And this one is like the perfect example of how it should be done. Of course, it can be argued that fluff scenes are a bit too many in number but I personally like it this way so I am glad there are a lot of romance scenes.
    Right now my only concern with this story is the side characters. Casanova is OK and all but the rest might as well stop existing. There are several characters I feel should get much more development, especially Lin Que and MC's 2 biggest fans(can't remember their names right now). Even Yan Zheke and Casanova didn't get enough character development in my opinion.

And author seriously needs to start caring more about how to write fighting scenes. He uses some words and "moves" so many times that it gets boring after a while and at some point I started to completely skip fighting scenes because most of the times half of it is complete bs. Like, what does "springing his spine" even mean? You should NOT move your spine too much for;
    1. it's fucking dangerous man
    2. moving your bodys center so much would completely destroy your balance and would lose you the match instantly against a good opponent. And considering these guys are like gods compared to normal people, moving your body so much should cause you to lose the match with like one well timed and placed punch.
    Martial arts side of this story need to be much better. In my opinion, that is the reason this novel isn't as popular as it could've been.

zman likes this.
  6. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Cheat = faster progress. Without it he can't skip over amateur pin that fast.
    That old master still haven't manage to teach his disciple the sense of defeat. Lol

Ran ahzu likes this.
  7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are you assuming that I mean that he should be an average MC just because I said he didn't need a cheat? I was saying that the cheat could easily be replaced with actual talent since he's yet to do anything that people in universe don't believe is possible without cheating.

8. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i thought the cheat was weak at first but at that time i thought is was a godly artifact. see how it's just begin stage of a cultivation inheritance we can't completely judge it

9. PenguinXeus

Reading List:
    Link
    Good point,
    Because with Cheat the author can have BS reason to power-up MC whenever the author want,
    otherwise with only talent it kinda fixed,
    its kinda a backdoor insurance for author i assume

10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but for me, that's just another good reason to get rid of the cheat. I'd prefer it if the MC actually earned everything, and maybe lost a few fights here and there. I mean seriously, the fights he's having now aren't even ones he cares about winning, and losing would open up some new romance plot lines. Though it is funny to see the coach's frustration every time the MC fails to lose ;)

11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how long he'll be able to maintain the myth of infinite stamina.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking forward to Lou Cheng's Girlfriend's response to the forum posts about the super beautiful girl on the team ;)

13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I expect they'll lose here, then win the next one. Lin Que doesn't really have enough energy left and the third guy is too weak to have much hope of winning even if Lin Que wears the last guy down a bit.

I wonder if they'll blame the coach for his poor preparations, and if they'll wind up needing to do a tiebreaker.

14. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if Coach Shi would still feel so happy if he knew that his disciple didn't really feel like his loss was a setback at all, and that his speech had about as much effect as it would have if he'd just given it before the first competition.

15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh Oh, Coach is in trouble now. His team has figured out that he was a spy! Well, either that or think he's incompetent due to laziness. Hard to say at the moment.

16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're wearing matching rings, then it will likely give them away to anyone paying attention. At the moment, that doesn't really matter since everyone around them already knows, but it could really screw them over during summer break.

I wonder how long it'll be until he manages to get or create a fire based visualization technique. He's not likely to be able to bring out the full power of his cheat without it, and I'm not sure that his current Severe Warning really counts if it were to be compared to a technique from the Fire Sect.

17. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Im at chapter 103 and the couple of chapters before had crappy grammar, and sentence structure.

Does it get better? I like the story, but i wont enjoy it like this.

18. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes,
    It gets better,
    Its like some parts are left unedites and forgotten, seriously.

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I have this strong feeling that Dirty Tong is writing yaoi fan fiction of Lin Que and Lou Cheng...

"His presence had subdued the relatively few crowd in an instant. " Why would the crowd be small? The university's stadium should be quite large and is much, much easier to get to than the other teams' was. Considering the importance of the match, everyone in the school and quite a few people from outside the school should be trying to attend.
    Yes, this is why I made sure to mention the variability of the translation quality in the first post. I'm not sure why the quality sometimes goes into the gutter, but it's usually pretty decent.

Shance likes this.
  20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    "Asking a girl for contact on my own accord would damage my image! " So, he intends to die a virgin then? Or is he planning to rely on his parents to arrange his marriage for him? Because I can already tell that he's the sort that would think that a girl who asked him out was beneath him by default.

I'm curious if, during the three minute greeting, any of the competitors have asked the other out on a date after the competition, and if any of them have said yes ;)