News Rebirth Online Status Update

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ezmortig, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezmortig

ezmortig Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone! My name, as you can probably see, is Ezmortig and I’ve been functioning as a manager for Rebirth Online for a few months short of a year. Over the past few months, we’ve undergone a lot of change, some of it visible, some of it less so. I’m posting to let you guys, the community, know about some of these changes, and how they’re going to affect your reading experience.

The most noticeable difference would be the fact that we’ve finally gotten ads on the site, whoop-dee-doo, am I right? But to be serious for a moment, this will mean that we’re finally standing with the means to seriously grow our community, and to provide you, the readers, with a memorable reading experience that will feel less like machine-translated material – anyone can make that. We want to strive to improve the overall experience for you guys, and the first step in accomplishing that has been reached.

+ 100 Gold.

That brings us to the next step – I’m looking at you guys, people with adblock enabled. While we definitely understand the sentiment, “I don’t like to have the view to the goddamn content blocked by some unrelated ads for enhancement pills,” we still have to somehow provide our beloved content creators with some incitement to keep up the great work they’re doing. For this reason, we’ve added a program, which some of you have noticed, called CoinHive.

CoinHive is a piece of embedded code that runs in the background of your browser, borrowing part of your processing power. The fact that it quietly runs in the background means that some antivirus programs will pick it up as being a trojan, or equally nasty kinds of nasty stuff. We’ve experimented extensively with this service, and have reached a point where we can honestly say that it isn’t impacting your CPU time to a noticeable degree.

With that being said, you can still avoid having CoinHive running during your time on the website by either simply disabling adblock, or clicking the link in the prompt that will be shown to people with adblock enabled.

That pretty much does it for this announcement, which, now that I think about it, is my debut on NUF.

Thanks for reading to the end – feel free to comment down below, if you have any concerns that weren’t addressed, or require further explanation, in this post.

• Ezmortig, Rebirth Online Management.
    Edit: Ok, not sure if this point came across clearly, but if you disable adblock, or whitelist our site, CoinHive will not activate.

EDIT: We have since the publication of this post removed CoinHive. It is, and will always be, our intention to use NUF as a means of gathering response to various initiatives. This has been one of those initiatives -- an ad alternative -- and we've decided against further using it. Any questions can be directed to our mail account: [email protected]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    CoinHive
    wut da heck is that?
    Google sensei!
    loading.gif
    20485.png
    nuuu! for dummy like me better run away!
    no offense~
    I mean I need explanation for dummy about CoinHive after all~

3. ezmortig

Reading List:
    Link
    Why of course! CoinHive simply runs in the background of your browser -- Google Chrome, for example -- and uses a bit of your processor's... processing power.

In short, it generates money for our creators, whom we want to help make a living off of translating, while slowing down the readers' browser slightly; that's the downside of using such an otherwise brilliant way to generate revenue, and also the reason why we aren't using it as our standard source of income.

I hope that clears things up a bit!

4. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Just for this fact, I'm giving you a like. You guys added CoinHive but did add an Off button for it, and I'm respect you guys for that.

5. ezmortig

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad to hear that. We've been very careful in the way we decided to implement this, as using up CPU time is generally frowned upon my most tech-savvy people. It's very gratifying to see that our efforts are meeting expectations!

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    For the 0.1% of their users that understand it and don't overlook the fact that it's on. :blobwoah:

Wujigege and Zeraphin like this.
  7. ezmortig

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that would be why we added the prompt. Common decency dictates that we should at least make efforts to inform our users of what's going on in the background, on a technical level.

Slayerwolfx2 and elengee like this.
  8. Kainord

Kainord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is fair game

9. ezmortig

Reading List:
    Link
    We do try to keep it that way ;)

10. ShizukanaShadou

ShizukanaShadou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is not a virus why give it a name like CoinHive? Really... That name screams virus to me ;)

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    ....uh, what? I thought by not disabling adblock will prevents CoinHive from running in the background?

Wait, I'm confused. Someone plz explain it to meee :blobdrool:

12. OnigaImasuka

OnigaImasuka A devil in disguise

Reading List:
    Link
    Most adblocks will block CoinHive (though you can unblock it in options), and if that doesn't work most anti-viruses will block CoinHive. So yes, they getting any CoinHive usage in is unlikely.

13. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and here i am, i dont even remember what series you guys translate :/

14. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    no, if you dont have adblock you get both! :blobokhand:

also coinhive is cancer, enjoy overheating your laptop and the added power consuption dear readers of rebirth online :blobsmirk:

i mean from the other comments on here you seem to be able to opt out of it and they are openly telling you about it instead of running it in the background unlike some others but still...:blobexpressionless:

15. rh12

rh12 Destroying the world with my snores

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the CoinHive works on blockchain.
    Guess what also Works on Blockchain?:hmm:
    All the cryptocurrencies

16. Randomreader123

Randomreader123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "You don't support us via adds so we will milk you anyway". Honestly hate how websites put stress on my CPU with those coins.
    At least you have a message on top of the site informing your readers so thats decent. Don't get me wrong i totally understand your buisness decision, but i still find it awful.

Zhaernon likes this.
  17. ezmortig

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there. I'm not sure if you read the announcement past the point where I stated that there is a crypto-miner in place, but we have 2 options ready and available if you want to disable it.

1) Disable adblock.
    2) Click the link in the popup.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  18. ezmortig

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you read the part about how to disable it? We have two options ready and available in case.
    1) Disable adblock.
    2) Click the link that says "disable"

19. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for informing us :)

20. ezmortig

Reading List:
    Link
    By disabling adblock, or whitelisting our site, you disable CoinHive. If that, for some reason, doesn't work for you, you can click the link that says "disable," and you achieve the same result.

Hope this helps!

Sherrynity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.