How to create an RSS feed reader?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    So maybe this is a dumb idea especially since I don't know much about coding except for the little I've passively been exposed to and this may not even be the section to post this.

I wish to build an personal RSS feed reader like a manga reader app, not sure if its personal or for actual publishing. I'm a bit of a hobbyist yes, so I'd like to work with easy to use app builders. If anyone can direct me to some manga updater creator videos or tutorials and some free app creation tools I'd really appreciate it. I just want to test out an idea so spending money to have it built isn't an option. A manga reader is very similar to what I want to create so that's why I specified that in-particular. Another example would be the Novelupdates (not officially associated) app found in the Google Play store (BETA). I believe these are called RSS feed readers just done in a different way, yes?

2. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    you can always download rss feed apps like feedly etc. and then enter rss feed manually to these apps for rss updates ...

Why go thru hassle of creating a new app?

3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's for practice, try getting an actual RSS feed around in Google that's open and try it out and see if you can recreate it.

4. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna try to build an app and since its something I'm interested in it won't feel like so much of a hassle. Like I said also, if its successful and it turns out like I'd like I'll publish it to a google store. Since I'm a private guy I wont detail what I want the app to be.

5. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okuri Ookami likes this.
  6. kestroll

kestroll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had always assumed it was just an XML parser, I would think programming your own would follow those ideas. You could go to http://www.rssboard.org/ If you wanted RFC 5005 has the atom spec? What language or API are you thinking??

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  7. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh... I have no clue, I'm absolutely new to coding I know its not a pick up as you go kinda thing but I'm just seeing if I'm interested. If you have any language recommendations and I feel like I can dedicate myself to this project I'll look into it.

8. kestroll

kestroll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, then then I'm guessing no html/xml experience and that is easier.
    I would say W3C.org to start, wherever that takes you...good luck.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  9. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best way to learn coding is by finding something you want to do and then making a program that can do it. It's also one of the worst ways to learn coding, if done poorly. The first thing you need to do is plan out what you're doing. Determine what language to use for your code. Determine what steps your app needs to take to do what it needs to do. Then, write the code for each of those things in isolation before combining those parts at the end to make a fully functional app.

So, first create an app that can display an image with a known file name in a known directory. Then, modify it to display an image with a known file name in any directory. Then, change it to display an image with any file name in any location. Then, add the ability to transition between different images in any single directory. Now, you have a basic manga reader for offline material. Then, create an app that parses XML from whatever site you need to grab your stuff from. Then, have it save whatever it's parsing or scraping to a directory. Then, have it zip up that directory. Now, you have a means to download your manga. Now, you need a database or something to act as glue between your two pieces of code, so that your reader can find what was downloaded by the parser. So, create a database app...

It's not as easy as it sounds at the outset, but if you break down your stated intent into small, discrete parts, and plan everything out beforehand, coding isn't nearly as daunting or difficult as it might seem.

11. GekkoZockt

GekkoZockt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty good idea for a learning project!
    If you want to publish it on the chrome appstore eventually, I guess you're using javascript, html and css?
    A (very rough) outline would be:
    1. Getting the RSS feed.
    2. Getting the website content
    3. Modify the information of the RSS feed and the source to make it fit your requirements
    4. Generate an output that is kind of user fiendly