Discussion Naming

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Faaldara, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faaldara

Faaldara [Fire Goddess] [Apathy] [Anon2.0's] [Sweets Thief]

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I think about writing, I always have trouble thinking of names for the people, places, etc that appear. So, how do you (or your favorite author) go about naming? Do you focus on meaning? Make something up? Reference something else? Pick something common (or not) that sounds right?
    Suggestions for how to name or examples of how you do so.
    Discuss

For example: a friend of mine suggested https://surnames.behindthename.com

(PS: for some reason I feel like this is in the wrong forum, if there is a more appropriate section please move it)

2. ShimizuA

ShimizuA the best teacher is Life.

Reading List:
    Link
    Use name generator on the internet. There are many themes out there, from just a simple nationality name to unique fantasy name. Just pick one that you feel suits your character best.

For places, it's better to just modify "the reference place's name" a bit, or just outright use them.

aoiisora likes this.
  3. Haxagen

Haxagen Fallen's|Addicted to Gacha

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya can use the WoW name generator, and then modify them yourself even further.

4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what the setting is. If you are writing on European middle age setting, it would be very awkward to use Japanese or Chinese names. Similarly, one finds it awkward (and their work becomes awkward) when the author uses a name they're not familiar with, such as westerners writing xianxia with Chinese names without knowing first hand what the culture is about or what the heck those names mean. I've seen a western author use the name Shou Yun as a male name and I was like "Dude, guys can't get pregnant."

Anyhow, I try to use names that rolls off the tongue easily. It's much easier for people to remember the character if they don't have trouble pronouncing it. Meaning comes second to me.

Anon2.0 and Bean like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.