Discussion Poll: Show or Hide Strength

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cosmic_, Dec 16, 2017.

?

Show or hide strength

1. Show

41 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Hide

83 vote(s)
    66.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctis

Noctis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes the perception of "low key" and "Humble" from MCS are generally distorted as hell

2. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Either way it's going to be one of two things. 1 low key mc lets himself be ganged up on until all the baddies show up then *boom raid wipe* "omfg how did mc do that!??? How could we not see through this insignificant junior" or 2 "honest" mc uses a fraction of their power, maybe even back themselves into a corner and waits until the big baddies show up and then kills everyone. Rinse and repeat for 2000+ chapters until finally the mc gets their macguffin

3. Anikiman

Anikiman Sloth From The Land Of Silver

Reading List:
    Link
    Sun Tzu said feign weakness when you are strong and strength when you are weak.
    If you're gonna fight you hide your strength, if not you just don't worry about showing it off.

4. GreenCaps

GreenCaps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hide it.
    People around mc shows their true colors when mc looks meek and vulnerable.
    At least he can see which ones can be true buddies and which to take precautions to.
    Were not talking about mental masturbation OP powers yeah?

5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    why not both? A mc who is trying to show off, but accidentaly hide his strenght instead....

6. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    I like reading stories where the protagonists act reasonably according to their strength. On the other hand, if I were in their position, I'd be seriously low-key. I think the problem with a lot of MCs who supposedly hide their strength is that they're just really bad at avoiding conflict and leveraging their influence. How many novel describe alchemists as being frightening because of their connections, but the MC is a genius alchemist who seems utterly incapable of attracting anyone stronger than themselves?

StuffedDuck likes this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Act as a waifu to eat the MC. :blobwoah:

8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't matter which as long as there is good reason for it.
    Characters hiding their identity/strength when showing it off would prevent bad situations are dumb, but likewise characters showing off their identity/strength when hiding it would prevent bad situations are equally dumb.
    Also I wouldn't count it as low-key in cases where the mc simply refuse to tell someone that they are strong and then just show it off 5minutes later, that is just the author padding words with stupid filler fight scenes.

Arcturus and Sabruness like this.
  9. H0RR1BL3CPU

H0RR1BL3CPU [Hotline to Shiroyukineko] [白酒鬼]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hide it till the point nobody knows you exist. That way no one can hassle you.

Read1212 and StuffedDuck like this.
  10. Silverfrost

Silverfrost Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends actually. its pretty annoying reading those unrealistic mockings in chinese novels. i prefer showing it at these times. but i like hiding it more when the novels have normal people and mobs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends, both have their charms.

Some people just prefer to live inconspicuously, so hiding it is best then... If you don't mind standing out, showing off is best.

I like both tbh, depends more on the author's execution than anything.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hide cuz it troublesome
    unless I have some aim then show one or two thing is okay~
    if you can show why you not show it?
    that depend on situation~

13. Riff

Riff Squirt Like a Turtle!

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends, if there are some reasonable reasons for MC to hide his strength, i would prefer that. Mostly a sudden burst of strength, it would be suspicious like having found sacred artifact, got an old grandpa spirit, or ancient inheritance. without being lowkey and the powerhouses got aroused, those things could be taken from MC instead, or even dragged their family off if MC doesnt really have big background. A gradual showoff level would be more suited.
    I also like showy MC like Yan Zhaoge of HSSB, since he was already a young master with big background from the start.

14. MagicPill

MagicPill Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a lazy person, there's nothing more troublesome than people relying on you, especially if you're somewhat special

SilverFeather likes this.
  15. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have "absolute" power, then show it and get everything.
    But if you don't have that much power yet, hide and exploit till you either get everything or became stronger.

16. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    ... I just have Smooth Che and Zhang Xuan as my role models for the low-keying ... or the master of all: Don Diego de la Vega

... hmmm ... I don't get it ... going to ask Che'er and Xuan'er about it ...

17. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time it seems the MC gets in trouble because he hides his strength but not his assets.
    Some normal-looking guy who's relatively weak and denies having connections is rich(has great items at least) and accompanied by city-toppling beauties.
    It only sounds suspicious to you because of all the novels you've read...

SilverFeather likes this.
  18. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    Best is having two or more identities and act like the strong identities are protecting the weak one (main) so they never expect where the hit is coming from, of course keeping some of your cards hidden even in the strong personas

I am probably not poisoned enough by CN novels but it feels wise to do so, that way people would understimate the weak persona and the achievements could be given to one of the strong personas this would save from conflict with small fries as well as some strong, as they would believe you are backed by, not one but many persons they would not want to mess with

19. goofydude

goofydude Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both can annoy me, but I look at it like this.
    Laid-Back option.
    You are calm reasonable and generally easygoing, however staying low key when being harassed isn't relaxing, so you show enough power to easily end that situation. (or maybe you feel like going a more devious route and you don't overpower but instead outplay)

This is how it should be done. Your power will be hidden but it won't require effort of to hide it, and eventually after each situation people will start underestimating you again. (although if you don't have to use your full power to clean up the situation they will be underestimating you the whole time still anyways).

20. Read1212

Read1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Showing your power is like how people in real life ask you to help them move a recliner up some stairs. If they know you can handle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.