Discussion Arc-Exclusive Characters

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Alyuna, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alyuna

Alyuna Tactical Dove, Best Birb

Reading List:
    Link
    Arc-Exclusive Characters are side-characters that mentioned in a certain arc in a novel but never make another appearance in other arcs.

Usually, they are used as a plot device to push forward the story. I don't have a problem with that, but when authors give them too much spotlight in one arc so that they can be forgotten in the next arc, it makes me grumpy.

What are your thoughts about Arc-Exclusive Characters, guys? And tell me your favorite forgotten side characters?

OP will be away, I'll check this thread tomorrow... maybe I can get new reading materials out of this. Bye!

2. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate them
    Example: Desolate Era

0000000 and Black Frost like this.
  3. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Montavo is the best thing to happen to Chikyuu Tenseisha no Koroshikata

AkunDami likes this.
  4. DavidKim

DavidKim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only arc-exclusive characters should be dead characters.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially the NTR childhood friends.

6. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    #gameofthronesremembers desu~

7. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind it if there is a decent resolution to their plot arc and there is a good reason for not seeing them again.
    What I don't like is when authors feel forced to introduce an entirely new location and plot for each arc just to underdevelop, rush and throw it away without mentioning again.
    Often I get the feeling that those arcs should have been done as full novels in their own right rather than bit parts of a larger and thinly stretched story.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    And new girls to love MC after first looking down on him or something. Like in SOTR. :facepalm:

9. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    Haer-who? that the best arc-exclusive one :blobamused:

10. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think immortal mortal has literally the most arc exclusive characters they give them so much spotlight u think to urself "yeah they are important" and then he goes to new place and just that's it but the worst part is it just left hanging with no resolution for most characters

11. Salexe

Salexe [Procrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    There is good and bad sides to arc characters. They are good if they get ended correctly. I mean you cannot always have the same people around and some you just briefly have in your life. Also never fading out side characters isnt good either especially when it is foreign names that look alike. Example: martial arts master. It gets really hard to keep track of who they are.

It just needs to be done right and then it is good.

12. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres a level above "arc exclusive" I've seen plenty of as well. Where they do a great big introduction on someone, only for them to be cannonfodder and removed from the story within a few appearences if even that. Why do hou need to go and do the huge background introduction of an unimportant chqracter you lewve behind a few pages later?
    This is particularly apparent in xianxia tournaments or competitions. Where there can be a whole damn chapter dedicatdd to describing some guy that dies in the next chapter with no lasting impact to the story.

Nimroth likes this.
  13. Bluejay13

Bluejay13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the reasons that antagonist characters dont show up again is because they are dead. As for competitors or fellow cultivators, it is because Ji Ning has out-cultivated them and has other people/organisations to worry about. I don't believe the author just dropped characters for no reason, the books move forward at quite a fast pace to continue world building and progressing through all his challenges. Not to mention that at this stage, anyone that hadn't cultivated to a high enough cultivation level would be aged to death at this point.

14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst part is when those throw away characters are more interesting than the ones they are replaced by...

Rumby and Phantom Starlight like this.
  15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is about the same thing I feel.

I don't mind arc-exclusive characters, they have their own reasons of existence and their own goals and things to do, it's not like the world revolves around the MC, so it's nice to show someone that is by the MC's side mainly due to the circumstances than because they want to... So, once the problem is solved, they go back to their own lives.

They need to be well done, and need to have a clear reason to not reappear... If it's done like that, I like them.

... Sometimes though, the author just gives them an excessive amount of highlight, which makes the fact they'll never appear again quite depressing...

16. ExQAlph03

ExQAlph03 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Well, same, and really, it's quite hard to find novels that did it properly, most just disposed of the arc-exclusive characters with reasons that aren't really good, or just some random reasons, or that the mc is always the center of the universe and others aren't that important. lol.

Though there are still novels that did it greatly, there's really few ~_~. Just saying... but there popular novels that didn't even did this properly so other authors are also doing it even though it's obvious that proper conclusion and solid story, characters, lore etc. will bring results, they aren't doing it properly, I don't know if they are lacking knowledge, time or maybe just plain lazy. Dunno..

I did noticed though that there's more in old novels that did this thing properly... But I don't really read much of those..

17. Haxagen

Haxagen Fallen's|Addicted to Gacha

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read Katahane no Riku...plenty of arc-exclusive characters, and most of them die after the arc is over...tsk tsk

18. ExQAlph03

ExQAlph03 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol.!! I think it's a given in Katahane no Riku.
    hmm.. Now that you reminded me of it, I'm wanting more of something similar but it's hard to find ~_~.. or more like none.

19. Haxagen

Haxagen Fallen's|Addicted to Gacha

Reading List:
    Link
    Genre like that is hard to find...just go read Overlord for the nth time or something...

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, doing it properly depends on the author's skills... Not all of them can do it well.

I just trust my filtering capabilities for that though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.