Recommendations Masterpieces of Chinese novels in NU

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by MiP, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah its the perfect length. I put this book with my old favs such as LOTR.

2. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
    I just hate that feeling when a good novel ends...

3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope the translator gets back to it soon.
    A few chapters left:blobdrool:

4. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No real masterpieces here, but I can at least point to novels that have Real Stories and Real Characterizations, with Consistency In Application.
    Note that these are from many different tropes, including everything from light shoujo romance to dark immortal cultivation, the only commonality is that they are more complex, well-written/translated, and posses a more well-fleshed storyline then their compatriots. Most are incomplete, and are likely to stay that way, due to the complexity of the translation - but you asked for the best.

Some of the more popular / classics of the webnovel genera include: (alphabetically)

A Dragons Curiosity (OEN)
    Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Assassin Farmer
    Celestial Employee
    Chronicles of Primordial Wars
    Coiling Dragon
    Conquest
    Cultivation Chat Group
    Desolate Era
    Douluo Dalu
    Emperor’s Domination
    Everyone Else is a Returnee
    Genius Doctor Black Belly Miss
    Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki
    Immortal Executioner
    Immortal God Emperor
    Jashin Average
    Legend of the Cultivation God
    Legendary Moonlight Sculptor
    Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
    Make My Abilities Average
    Martial World
    Master of the Stars
    Monogatari Series
    Mother of Learning (OEN)
    My Daoist Life
    Only Sense Online
    Otherworldly Evil Monarch
    Path to Heaven
    Pivot of the Sky
    Rebirth of the thief Who Roamed The World
    Release that Witch
    Risou no Himo Seikatsu
    Shrouding the Heavens
    Sovereign of the Three Realms
    Spice and Wolf
    Stunning Edge
    Tales of the Reincarnated Lord
    The Silly Alchemist
    Tokyo Ravens
    Uchi no Musume no Tame naraba
    Virtual World Peerless White Emperor
    World of Cultivation
    Ze Tian Ji

MiP and aoiisora like this.
  5. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. That's understandable.
    Me too. I saw Ren mention something about him a while back so maybe he will come back?

6. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    You want works on the level of historical masterpieces, from a bunch of repressed teens reading self-insert fiction?

This is the cesspool of literature. Not some gathering of philosophers and scholars

Jarrow likes this.
  7. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds credible until you notice LMS is in the middle of the list.

And by no mean it's a bad novel but when you look at the request, it's definitively not corresponding no matter how you put it even if you justifie yourself by claiming you were only recommending according to the criterias you mentioned

8. leedalys

leedalys Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No my friend, there is no p*rn in this novel, there are only scenes that are use to shape the main character, making him BARE, and let us model this character in our image *his abs! his abs!* These scenes are used to make various character socialize together... usually in bathing time.
    Seriously enough, there was one male character who is gay. And who is interested in our MC, I swear I was like, will they? will they not? Aaaaand... they did not :'(

9. RTS

RTS ☀┩ îИϑîℂ✞υƧ ɛӼքʊɢռǟȶօʀ┡☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I apologize. I didn't know you were a fujoshi.:sweating_profusely:

10. leedalys

leedalys Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't try to run away from me huehuehuehue now that I got you.... Come see some novel title I can make you discover... hue huehue
    kidding, I enjoy all novel that are well writing be it R-18 one, Yaoi, Xianxia, Wuxia, police mystery, sci-fi ... I don't have a preferred genre, but I do enjoy a good novel. It is just funny to shock people with some gay related stuff haha :blobwhistle:

11. Yolo Swag

Yolo Swag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MiP likes this.
  12. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There ARE no true 'Masterpieces Of Chinese Literature" comparative to the legendary works listed by the OP in the existent webnovel field - the medium simply doesn't support them. The best you can do is suggest truly good novels, even if the definition of 'good' varies through the sundry genres. So yeah, I focused on the 'masterpieces available on NU' part, more than the other bit, since, you know, they don't exist, and saying "You Can't Get Those 'Round These Parts" is a statement as unhelpful as it is grammatically unpleasant. : )

LMS was a very good Korean VRMMO novel, with (1) well fleshed out and consistent characters who demonstrated reasonable and measurable growth, (2) it had a consistent and engagingly complex plotline, and (3) it possessed imaginative writing (and translation!) conducive to reader visualization and immersion. I tried to limit my suggestions to only webnovels that satisfied those three requirements, as varying by genre, and LMS certainly delivers on them.

I'm more surprised that LMS got the hate. : ) I expected people to be criticizing me for the OENs or Shoujos in the list. : D

13. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
  14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with looking for an equivalent to really famous novels is that you're at the mercy of the translator. When it comes to Chinese novels written in centuries-old language, you're not going to be able to render it 1:1 in English. Even the best of these books won't seem that good unless there's a really good translator doing all the grunt work. Many of the translations I check out can only retain a portion of the quality of the original, and this portion shrinks as the writing of the original improves.

I'm not blaming translators on NU for this; it's more an expression of just how hard this is to do. And it's one reason why the novels here aren't going to feel as good as the ones that have had professional translators.

If you're just looking for someone who's really good, there's no need to look beyond Jin Yong. He's easily the most popular Chinese writer of the last hundred years, and everyone copies him. The best place to start with Jin Yong's books is the Legend of the Condor Heroes. It's not his best book, but it is the one that all of his best books are descended from.

MiP likes this.
  15. MiP

MiP Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a non-issue for me, most of good CN works have been translated to my language, e.g. Legend of the Condor Heroes was translated decades ago.

16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In that case you still have the professional vs. amateur translator problem. The best modern Chinese writers I've come across are Tong Hua and Yue Guan. I don't know if either of them translate particularly well though.