How would you design a rating system? (Math)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lychee, Dec 17, 2017.

?

Would you prefer a rating system that scaled scores to a user's average rating?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, no point in messing with the system, just to remove troll votes, which are easy to spot if you have half a brain.

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. Shadowwalker

Shadowwalker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not really... if a novel is really bad you'll get more low scores and average low; if its good you'll get more high votes and you'll get higher average . but i do agree there will be more average votes overall..

3. SinCity

SinCity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd make it so that you could only rate a novel by reviewing.
    This way only those who actually cares(good or bad) will spare their time to rate a novel.
    And add a word count.

4. Ogagon

Ogagon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to QI novel review section...it's less than an ideal way to get rid of troll reviews.

5. SinCity

SinCity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's because they reward anyone who wrote a review, NU didn't.

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    0~100 if I on really serious mode
    1~10 so~so mode
    1~5 lazy mode
    no rate system lazy+troll mode
    plus I will put~ stay away, bad, average, good, must read which shown based on rating system next to da title
    hmmm
    let say stay away is lowest and must read on highest and total is 50/100 or 5/10 or 3/5 then foala xxx get average score write on green text~ stay away is big bloody red text~
    easier said than done~ I'm serious here~ because of assumption~ sure thing like NTR or 1 chap 1 star can spot arguable easy but for other?
    heh I even dunno how da review system regulated there~ rather than review imo more like chatting side

7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    I think @Westeller idea before was pretty accurate
    but @Tony denied it

like for example if it's good a :blobpopcorn:
    if it's BL :blobnosebleed: or :blob_coughblood: depending on who's reading
    if it's bad :facepalm:

iampsyx, AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  8. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's where reviews should be helpful even when they don't try to be. I'm not sure any system more complex than what is available will be able to easily spot bad ratings due to tags, and especially not if it has to do with somebody's peeve with parts of the content. NU isn't Google after all.

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. kjoke

kjoke Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think a system that scales based on a user's average is a good idea. For one thing because many review too infrequently for it to scale properly and for another thing because it would create a lot of confusion.
    I do think NU's rating system needs a reform, the current ratings aren't very reliable. Many rated with 1 star solely because it's published by quidian. Then there's people voting with a reasoning like "I'd give it 3 stars but there are so many 1 star ratings so I'll give it 5" or "I'd give it a 3 but I really can't stand the many 5 star ratings so 1 it is". Others vote low because they didn't see a genre.

My idea would be to leave the current system as is but:
    1.) Only allow 1 star (and maybe 5 star) ratings with a written review
    2.) Allow active users (a mix of age of account, number of posts/comments, number of reviews) to up/downvote reviews. Reviews below a certain rating get deleted.
    3.) Only use relevant reviews to calculate the average score. For example: once more than 10% of the total amount of chapters (for completed novels) are translated, use only the newest 60% for the average.
    Or at least display a "recent" and a "total" rating like steam does.

10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably would do something along the lines of several options the rater could tick instead of a star rating.
    Letting you tick any or none of all the options and basically you would get to see how many of all the raters that ticked each option.
    Would probably look something like this:
    (1000 people have rated..................)
    (850 of them liked the overall story)
    (800 of them liked the characters...)
    (600 of them liked the beginning....)
    (700 of them liked the middle.........)
    (400 of them liked the ending.........)

11. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no effective way to account for how people rate works.

Even if you were to scale to their 'average' - well what if that person only votes on novels that were extreme? As in they either extremely enjoyed it, or extremely hated it? In that case a 5 would become a 3, and a 1 would become a 3 as well assuming that they have equal amounts of hated/loved novels. This rating system is obviously flawed.

Just let people compare their own personal ratings to the ratings of a novel and they should be able to figure if their own ratings are inflated compared to the NU rating or deflated in relation. This is what I do.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I really like this one!

I think I would make a system in which you could donate nuffies to the reviewer if you liked the review, just to see if more people would make crazy and hilarious reviews about novels!

You never know, maybe they might actually put more effort into them if they can earn a random virtual currency from it~

13. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Then people might make funny, troll reviews just to get nuffies...

Hmm as for me, I actually think that the current rating system is adequate. I give 4+ novels more priority than those below, then I read the review with the lowest given rating — usually, those that take the time to write a lengthy review (or, well, a rant) despite hating the novel have some pretty good reason(s) to do so.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

iampsyx likes this.
  15. icerror

icerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Hard to explain to users and it's a move which probably won't be appreciated. Create another rating on top of it is a better idea. One where only votes belong to users, who have rated a lot of novel/manga of the same genre, are counted or to specifically ask them to rate the series against its peer. Like rottentomato's system of audience score and reviewers' score.

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah for such thing you need to do it manually via report problem if that ever done~ tag is really easy to use to spot troll rate or something like say QIdian hater~ so troll easier to spot on those two~
    peeve? it heh~ if you mean there review point it, sure it really helpful to explain it's not troll~ maybe~
    I still say it easier said than done cuz it require more active and cooperative NU user~ still if there many of them this thread is not not needed cuz da community can clean it
    I bet there more lazybum though~

ah unneeded I mean about fixing rate vibe which I assume~

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  17. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I believe that a rating scale is inherently flawed. Therefore a simpler system is better. I'd replace it with a like/dislike button. (y)(n)

For this type of creative product, rating basically means nothing since everyone rates differently.

The only type of rating I like is when it is done by professionals and there is a simple, easy-to-understand set of criteria. For example, the hotel 1-5 star ratings is something I pay attention to when I book a hotel stay. I mean the hotel's actual star rating, not the user's ratings.

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    How about donating nuffies to a novel being the only form of rating? Anyone can donate any amount of nuffies to any novel, and the total amount of nuffies donated to a novel equals to how high is their rating~

Totally biased towards active forum members, I'd love that~

readerz likes this.
  19. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    But wouldn't people just spam or farm the board just for nuffies to get their NU project rating up? I mean, one poster said that there's a translator's Patreon with 22k per month. With just a bit of money the CN companies could hire the 10-cent armies to earn nuffies, then we would all be screwed!

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as they didn't spam, they are free to do whatever they want!

I mean, Tony-chan can remove money from people's bank accounts, null ratings (nuffies donation in this case) and ban accounts freely after all~

So, they would need to actually pay good amounts of money to hire quality shitposters! We would get an influx of people that make useless content with quality! It would be great!!!! \(^^)/

readerz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.