Discussion RANT:Please don't encourage Aggregator Sites

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MangoGuy, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Is this a sh*t post/unhelpful?

1. yes

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. no

31 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they literally did it without the permission of anyone at Wuxia World. They took all the Qidian translations at WW and ripped them word for word and pasted them on webnovel.com. This is an indisputable fact. It's not a matter of interpretation. There's no point of discussion that can lead to QI not being an aggregator website until they work out a deal with WW('s translators?) or take down those works.

2. AtratusImperator

AtratusImperator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd almost have to think its worse for a TL for you visit a TL's website with adblock on than it is for the TL if you to go to an agg-site. Just more empty traffic for the TL site. They get no revenue off the bot from the agg-site and they're not getting any revenue from you. At least if you go see the agg-site with adblock on they're getting cost from the visit but no revenue.

I'm not advocating adblocking TL sites or visting agg-sites by any means and I don't personally use them. But like I said I've thought about this exact example. I dunno what hurts the TL more.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think giving traffic to the aggregator is worse, AFAIK (I know nearly nothing about this, take it with a grain of salt), sites with more visits can appear more easily on google search.

So... Increasing the view count of aggregators would also help them I think.

Ideally, I think we shouldn't adblock any translator site, and never visit aggregators... So far, the only TL I have ever blocked was WW, because I can't read on a site if it crashes my browser even when I'm on PC.

The only times I visited aggregators was when I wanted to see if they got my novel releases right... I ended up having a few good laughs about it and even made a thread on it~

AtratusImperator likes this.
  4. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where did this whole buy argument came from...? QI didn't paid anything to WW its the other way around, WW paid Qidian a lot. Then Qidian stole WW works for QI.

That sounded like an agg site to me, technically or literally. I get that QI do release their own translations BUT that doesn't means QI can just stole other translator works.

5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Again with the people desperate to label Qidian an aggregator? I thought this had died down already...

If you think Qidian is wrong, then wait until WW wins on court or something, if it does win that is, there should be no issue if everything the pretend-lawyers that appeared on NUF said is true.

Wujigege likes this.
  6. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    did you not read what i wrote? i said qi bought the rights from the AUTHOR not the translators...... gosh

7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Great point. Traffic is almost as important as ads or even better.
    I used my traffic to negotiate with ad companies
    I can show them my traffic stats of millions of views and ask for more money
    So whether you use adblocker or not, the traffic helps aggregators @AtratusImperator

zentetsuken and AtratusImperator like this.
  8. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you are on the wrong thread. Everyone here is talking about agg site that steal from translators not authors.

Please go make another to debate/talk/discuss/trash about agg site stole authors work or in better term, those raw pirate site. (Which ironicly were left alone by Qidian)

9. deluks917

deluks917 Lady V

Reading List:
    Link
    My thoughts exactly (I read manga on aggregators), but NU makes novel aggregators redundant.

10. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    I was stating since they technically have rights to it they dont count as an aggragator site, tbh I dont really care ..... and am honestly wondering why I am even replying to this post..... but eh.....I digress...

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I stopped bothering with replying to those people a long time ago.

When someone puts a site that translates some 50 or so novels on the same footing as any other aggregator, then that person has enough hate to not accept any argument from the other side, so... Might as well not bother with arguing.

12. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, so just because they translate 50+ novels, their action of illegally hosting WW's novels is somehow fine? Where's the logic in that? If anything, it's because they translate 50+ novels, that their act of illegally hosting the translators of others makes them way worse than other aggregators, since they already have means of profiting from their own translations, yet they still go after the existing translations of others.

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait for the court to say that, then you can say that it's illegal.
    So...

If I donate 10 million to a charity, but steal 10 thousand from a company you like, I'm worse than someone that steals 10 billion from all companies you know of, including the one you like?

I fail to see your point.

14. CodeZero

Reading List:
    Link
    How is that the same comparison?

If anything, it's you as a drug company donate $10 million to charity, and then steals $5 million from your biggest competitor, saying that it's in the best interests of the public to have their technology shared rather than being used solely by one company, vs a local drug dealer who steals $8 million and offers you sweet deals on the street.

To me, yes, you would be worse. Why? Because the drug dealer doesn't try and sugarcoat their misdeeds as being good for the public by showing themselves in a positive light using their charitable acts. They're simply trying to make money by whatever means, aiming at the more vulnerable people. It's clear to me that I should stay away from them.

15. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link

I just thought I should point out that even if wuxiaworld had permission from the authors in question to translate their works for non-profit, that they are still in the eyes of the law; illegally translating the novel since the authors gave up rights for their works to another source in this case qidan..... so while the author told them THEY are fine with it, they in fact cannot give them legal precedence to say its theirs..... after all they(WW) wouldn't of had to make a deal with qidan in the first place if that was the case so they are not in fact 'illegally' hosting their translations........ but hey this is just me replying to a post due to seeing me quoted in this thread again and i got curious

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmmmmm... Yep, it makes 0 sense to me!

Like, I understand your reasoning, but I can't understand why you believe it, so there is no point in arguing because I know no consensus will come of it.
    Ah, they had deals with Qidian over the right to translate, don't worry, them hosting it is legal, what we don't know (until court solves it at least) is if Qidian dual-hosting is legal or not.

17. CodeZero

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, first of all, you're making a pretty big assumption there. Why are you assuming that Wuxiaworld received permission from the authors to translate, and not Qidian themselves? That was the source of the problem, and the reason for the debate. Wuxiaworld paid Qidian significant sums of money in order to be able to translate their novels, to which Qidian agreed (it was through this contract signed between them that Qidian is justifying their hosting of Wuxiaworld's translations). So ...

18. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember reading about a post ren made that they asked for permission (from the author) granted that was a long time ago but eh. then they had to make a deal with qidan when they started to get on their case

EDIT: anyway ima stop watching this thread im not really in the mood to waste time on rants and debates atm

19. CodeZero

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, simply put, the reason why I believe it is this - when comparing between an obvious enemy and someone who you thought was on your side, but ended up betraying you, which do you find worse? To me, and who I presume are those who are so against Qidian, it would be the betrayal.

As for why we think it's a betrayal, and not something that Qidian was allowed to do, is simple. If Qidian had that right all along, why didn't they do it at the beginning of the agreement, and only wait until they were in the midst of a court case to do it? And if it was in the contract, it'd be foolish for Wuxiaworld to say otherwise and risk getting sued over it, since they (presumably) wouldn't have the resources to pay it off.

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I just think of them as companies, companies are never on my side, they are on $$$'s side. I can't be betrayed by someone that cares only about how much $ I can give them.

As for why they wouldn't do that at the beginning of the whole thing? Because they had a profitable business partner on a win-win relationship, they knew they would ruin their relationship if they did this move, so they preferred avoiding it... Once negotiations broke, and they lost their partner, they had no reasons to not clash with them openly.

Regarding the contract thing, Qi is probably trying to exploit a loophole on the contract, while WW is probably trying to say the loophole doesn't exist. So they need to solve it on court...

Personally speaking, I believe that Qidian probably made a contract with many loopholes, and WW denied the contract many times to fix those loopholes... Rather or not all loopholes were fixed or not, that I have no way of knowing.

On an ethical standpoint, Qidian is obviously in the wrong here, since exploiting loopholes on contracts is by definition, a way of tricking the other party... But well, as I said above, I look at them as companies, so I don't care much about their ethics.

What I care about is the product they deliver (I don't read novels on any of the sites btw, so this is a PoV from someone that only visited each for a small amount of time). One site has ads bad enough to crash my browser even while I'm on PC, but delivers quality content. The other has a pretty well-made site, but delivers content that sometimes has terrible quality, and at others has good quality, so visiting them becomes a lottery.

What is worse for a customer? Ads that crash your browser or content with dubious quality? I have no idea, both are terrible IMHO.

In the end, they're both bad IMO, so I don't see any reason to stay on the side of any of them... But I definetely think both are better than aggregators, which produce no content whatsoever.