Do Insects know that they're ugly?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shin Ah, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Roboglobo

Roboglobo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ....this is seeing things from a human viewpoint, individual insects don't have a personality or sense of individuality, while they have the same self preservation instinct as any individual of any species, for them the colony is their real body, and the queen of the colony (insects don't have kings) is the most important part of the body, imagine an insect colony as a multicellular animal, each insect is just a cell, if one cell self destructs to prevent a virus or bacteria from harming your body that's not self sacrifice, that's your immune system doing the job nature has programed it to do.

Aizelf likes this.
  2. Roboglobo

Roboglobo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    insects do not think and do not feel, the simply don't have the biological structures to allow such behaviors, your emotions and thoughts are product of a very specialized series of biochemical reactions, they simply are amazingly efficient and effective survival organisms some of their behaviors may look like intelligent decisions but they are just supremely refined instinctual responses to outside stimuli, no thought and no emotions involved, just a matter of efficient use of resources, nothing more and nothing less

3. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, psychologists have raised questions like "do humans have thoughts and feelings?" - saying that maybe we just act based on instinct and use words the same way chatbots use words - we respond to the stimuli in appropriate ways. As you put it, some of our behaviors may look like intelligent decisions but they are just supremely refined instinctual responses to stimuli.

I'm sure insects also prefer not to think about how they might not really be thinking.

mir and tottiy like this.
  4. Jastolus

Jastolus [Anti-Nihilist] [Captain]

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with this thesis is that things like problem solving can't be done with just instincts. It requires connecting knowledge, observation and instinct logically. And knowledge about stuff like physical laws isn't exactly grainierend into human biology.

5. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I was mostly trying to say that maybe we're underestimating insects. :)

Vilidious likes this.
  6. Shin Ah

Shin Ah Dope'n

Reading List:
    Link
    We're underestimating animals in general, thats human nature (arrogance)

mir and Vilidious like this.
  7. I Shall Steal The Heavens

I Shall Steal The Heavens Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does a post know that it's dumb?

8. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree.

Personally I'd rather not claim to know anything about what insects know or how they feel.

I'm not a real insect, only a conceptual one.

Science can sure measure biological activity and such at parts of brain etc., but claiming to know subjective feelings on basis of external measurements feels arrogant and vain to say the least.

Science isn't omnipotent, it's a social construct that just happens to be a sufficiently reliable *model* of world.

Not objective truth.

If a funding government or company says so, the results get skewed f.ex. tobacco's health benefits from last century.

I'm at least taking scientific 'truths' if not with a pinch of salt, then a bowl.

mir likes this.
  9. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Way of perception :dd i am sure they would humph each other

10. Jastolus

Jastolus [Anti-Nihilist] [Captain]

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. Either way, talking about insects as a whole is already not a good starting decision, because of how much diversity there is within the type of being. But it is truely amazing how complex the processes in even the most simple living beings are.
    It depends. Some people make animals in specific or general out to be more human or intelligent than they are. On the other hand there are plenty of storys about researchers finding unexpected cognitive capacity in animals, though it's not comparable to humans. Octupi for example are pretty smart damn smart.
    +Some animals actually suffer from psychological problems like depression.
    It's true that scientific studies aren't entirely beyond doubt, but some things don't need ten years of research and ten published papers to be certain off. Insects just don't have the neural structures/brain for complex thoughts. Physics imposes limits on how much you can do with limited space/material.

11. Too Honest

Too Honest Creature of Repressed Desires

Reading List:
    Link
    Insects are Nature's masterpiece.

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think so, because if they do think they're ugly, they wouldn't hover around me. They'd be too ashamed to be getting too close to awesomeness. I'm looking at you guys, overactive flies. Be good boys and die within a day.

mir likes this.
  13. Roboglobo

Roboglobo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in biological processes there is no interpretation, believing and knowing are two different things. And while i'll admit that there is no absolutes in knowledge, 2 meters are 2 meters in any place in the universe, biochemical reactions are the way they are in any place in the universe where the laws of science (both chemical and physical) are constant. Emotional response, the ability to learn, the ability to problem solve, and many other skills of the mind are intrinsically related to the biological structures that form an organism,a frog cant fly because it doesn't have wings, an antelope cant breathe underwater because it doesn't have gills, an ant can't think like other animals do, can't learn like other animals do and can't show emotional response like many other animals do, because they don't have the hardware to do so. Having a critical mind and a sceptical mindset is good but, questioning everything for the sake of questioning it is not only not productive is downright a disservice to oneself, it prevents you from learning anything that goes against your own preconceptions and limits your personal, emotional and intellectual growth.

14. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Snakes and fish fly without wings, you can argue they are just gliding, or falling in a fancy manner, but they are still believed to fly, as do spiderlings....

15. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Do insects know that they’re insects? Maybe they call themselves humans and to them we’re called insects...

Up-chan likes this.
  16. Roboglobo

Roboglobo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there's a very real difference in those two locomotive processes, flying is a sustained movement for a long period of time with the ability to change speed, altitude and direction, and gliding is just the ability to ride air currents for a limited period of time and while you may be able to change altitude and direction you must certainly can't change speed, and you just can't gain height without help from other ascendig air current son no, they can't fly, and for spiderlings they are at the mercy or the very same air current, they can't change anything so that doesn't count as flying, so no matter how much one would like that life wasn't limited by the reality of its shape it very much is.

Jastolus likes this.
  17. Roboglobo

Roboglobo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the simple fact that you ask this question should be enough response to yourself, and insects not being capable of thought it's not an opinion it's a fact, it has nothing to do with anything i believe it has to do everything to do with the way they are constructed, they dont think because they don't need to, in nature everything's the way it is because it has to be that way to survive and thrive and i'm not underestimating them a bit, they are so well equipped to survive most of their structures are basically the same since the very first specimens encountered in fossil records, emotional response and the ability of abstract thought are a necessary survival strategy for us humans and it has nothing to do with superiority or inferiority it just has to do with what our bodies are capable of, nothing more and nothing less and any feeling of superiority or inferiority anyone garners off of this knowledge is just personal interpretation and experience.

Jastolus likes this.
  18. Up-chan

Up-chan ★Anti-Bullying Brigade★

Reading List:
    Link
    no!! they're horrible!! if i see an insect ill scream and burn the room down!!

19. Haxagen

Haxagen Fallen's|Addicted to Gacha

Reading List:
    Link
    Insects see us exactly as how we see them. *Shrugs*

20. Up-chan

Up-chan ★Anti-Bullying Brigade★

Reading List:
    Link
    if they did then they would run away whenever i see one..