Question What do you want most in a translation's website?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LysUltima, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I like being able to make text larger but it's not necessary on my PC; it just i put my phone font at largest but sites override it so sort of difficult to read on my phone if I can't make the text bigger.

I would like to hover over words I don't understand and get a translation like in historical novels with the titles of niangniang and wangye (so I don't have to jump to the bottom because lots of ppl do footnotes )......... and distinguishing character names to not confuse them with titles.
    Novelsreborn does that well http://www.novelsreborn.com/chu-wang-fei/chapter-107-part-2-su-qings-fallout/

2. I Shall Steal The Heavens

I Shall Steal The Heavens Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Semi-automated next/prev chapter links and an option to hide/show tl and ed notes.

Maybe an option to toggle between english and pinyin terms.

3. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Says Lys "12 Footnotes in a Chapter" Ultima :blobcheeky:

4. blablabla12

blablabla12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mobile Reader mode available

5. Too Honest

Too Honest Creature of Repressed Desires

Reading List:
    Link
    Malware and pop up ads.

6. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ctrl+C and V all of the answers

7. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    What about customizing text size?

8. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but...
    There was another thing other than communication that I require in order to not hate the translator.
    Don't translate a novel with a pace of 1 ch a week when the novel has over 1000 chapters. like seriously just dont.
    There is a really good novel that that has been done to, and the quality is good, releases are stable, but seriously. Just fucking get someone to help you out with it dont ruin a novel like that, because since you are translating it other translators wont pick it up, even if it will take you over 20 fucking years to finish. JUST GET SOMEONE TO FUCKING HELP OUT WITH IT. dont do a 1 chapter a week schedule with a novel of over 1000 chapters. just dont. Also dont do something that is similar (for example, a 2 chaps a week schedule for a 2000 chapter novel, or a 2 chaps a month schedule for a 100 chapter novel). If you can't get the chapter out at a reasonable pace, either get someone to help so you can do it faster or drop it and pick up a smaller novel that you can finish in a reasonable amount of time. please dont ruin great novels for no reason.
    rant over for now.

9. Kudaranai

Kudaranai                                                   

Reading List:
    Link
    TL notes I guess :blobpopcorn:

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah? Good luck in finding someone that has the same taste as you, is also willing to translate, and can replicate the same style you do...

Ah, and if you are working with donations and the like, you also need to split up the money and all that.

More than one translator in a single series generally doesn't work out... It can work, it's just not the norm.

Ah, and please don't give me that "Other translators won't pick it up because you're translating it", most series never get picked up once they're dropped, a slow pace is a lot better than no pace.

LysUltima likes this.
  11. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Find me a reasonably good translator, and they can help one of us. We won't decline. Go. Do it.

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how I would add these...

13. TheLewdOtaku

TheLewdOtaku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Multiple themes, next/previous chapter, fast translations, good translations, community, Profiles you can make to keep track of what you're reading etc., Somewhat customizable profiles, actual moderation in the comments for spam (No "first", or comments that are just there to be first, comments need to actually add to discussion about novels.), reasonable ads a good idea of what not to do is kissanime, mobile sites, dedicated translator/s for a novel so it never goes on a random hiatus for a month or something, communication with the audience if something does end up on hiatus or dropped, also Lys, you being a smart ass about WeaselLords reasonable concerns are pretty off putting too. He raises a good point, you shouldn't pick up a novel if you can't upload at least 3-4 chapters a week. Novels drag on like crazy with un needed information and redundancy that cause literally nothing to happen for chapters at a time and reading one chapter a week is just going to put everyone off the novel and make them lose interest. It's cool that you translate and i'm sure were all thankful but it doesnt give you the right to be an ass

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck in finding someone that can translate 3-4 chapters/week without compromising their RL, do send them to Lys-chan, I'm sure she'd love to work with them.

I don't know what is wrong with this community these days, people tend to think that weekly chapters are slow? What a joke, how many people can dedicate 4h of their day everyday to translate 5 chapters/week? What about their work? Their studies? Their other hobbies?

The vast majority of translators don't make a living out of this, you know? You can't expect someone to deliver something that they don't have the time to deliver.

Don't wanna read weekly chapters? Stack them up and binge it, problem solved.

Don't wanna wait 20 years for the novel to be completed? Then wait 20 years to start it.

Stop complaining about slow translation speed when you don't do anything about it, Lys-chan is already a rare case of translator that is willing to work with someone else on translation, most people don't do even that.

If you really want fast releases, go pay some company like WW or Qidian, I bet they'd be more than happy to translate for you. Or go translate yourself, then you try talking about the release pace when you suddenly see yourself giving up on all MMOs you play because you don't have time for them anymore.

Tsk, calling Lys-chan an ass, what a joke, and people wonder why I call people here entitled.

LysUltima and Nekorin like this.
  15. TheLewdOtaku

Reading List:
    Link

Lol, "Just stack them, wait 20 years to read them" Do you hear yourself? Do you not see how ridiculous that is to say? If they don't have the time to deliver it, drop it. Don't latch on to it if you aren't willing to translate, it benefits no one. And I understand no one makes a living off of translation, if you can't find the time to translate or just can't afford to then don't translate. It's that simple. We aren't forcing you to translate, you choose to that's not on us it's on you. So don't complain about "muh MMOS" or "Muh money" You're calling us entitled? Not everyone gets to translate novels they enjoy from home for money dude. You're calling us entitled but the only ones coming across as entitled are you at the moment. Any normal person can see you've got it made, I mean for fucks sake man you're complaining about not having time to play MMOs, that's pretty entitled

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    What? You think you'll die in the next 20 years? If not? Why does it matter? It's not like you're forced to read anyway.

Not willing to translate? I'm totally willing to translate! I just ain't willing to translate at a pace that will ruin my RL. I have other things to do, like searching for a job to pay my bills.

You don't force people to trandlate, but you expect them to follow your every demand? Seems quite selfish~

I can find the time to translate, I just can't find the time to translate at the pace you want.

And... OMG, this is hilarious!
    You can't even not contradict yourself in a single paragraph! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Look, wanna know how much I earned by translating 15 chapters in 1 month? Which is more than most translators can deliver mind you.

5$.

Yep, 5$. The equivalent of around 50 words for any official translation... I surely made a lot of money, didn't I?
    Oh dear... So... Let me break it down for you.

1) I am translating as a hobby.
    2) This hobby in particular gives me basically no benefit, but benefits you a huge lot.
    3) This hobby is very time consuming and stops me from spending the time I want on my other hobbies.
    4) And you, as a reader that gives me nothing, is trying to dictate my pace, rather or not I should continue with my hobby and saying that me spending my own time to deliver content to you makes me entitled? Because I want you to understand I'm doing you a favor?

Did I get it right? Yes, yes I did.

Get down your high horse "dude", if I were earning any money, I wouldn't bother with talking in a thread like this, I would be translating to pay my bills.

Lys-chan is kind enough to ask readers what she can do to deliver better quality content to her readers, that's way more than what I would ever do, because I have no patience to deal with an entitled bunch such as you.

I wonder what happened to the people that were happy with monthly updates of LNs... Haa, I hate how WW's monetized system made this community full of spoiled brats.

LysUltima and ayyshadow like this.
  17. TheLewdOtaku

Reading List:
    Link
    And as I said before, You choose to translate we don't force you too. We owe you nothing, It's not our fault if you need money. It's not our fault that you spend so much time translating that you have little to no time at all for anything else that's all on you. We don't owe you shit, You act like you're doing us a favor translating a thousand chapter long novel on a 1 chapter a week basis. You're just clinging to a novel that someone else could pick up and translate daily/semi-daily in the future. Like I said, I do appreciate that you guys spend so much time translating but you do come across as an entitled ass for getting mad at someone suggesting that you don't pick up a novel that you can't really handle and you come across even more entitled the more you try and defend it. Just drop it if it isn't something you can handle at the moment. You're only repeating the same two things repeatedly "It makes no money and is time consuming" as if that proves anything and makes what me and WeaselLord said invalid. It doesn't. We aren't asking you to spend all your time and resources on something that you're only gonna update once a weekly and makes you no money, stop holding it over our heads as if we made you do it and asked you to and quit acting like you we're doing us a favor by doing so

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, you need to learn how to read then!

Here, let me quote it for you.
    See your problem? You think there is an infinite amount of translators out there willing to translate for you.

Not only that, you think that there is an infinite amount of translators that can translate at the pace you want, that's laughable, go on NU, use the series finder, check how many series have daily releases, now check again while excluding WW, Volare, GT and Qidian from your search.

Maybe then you'll realize how laughable your expectatives of quick releases are.

You owe me nothing? Sure, if you don't read at my site, you owe me nothing. If you read what I translate, you owe me some gratitude at the very least, and considering this is a thread by Lys-chan for Lys-chan's readers... You end up seeming like a huge spoiled brat when yoj talk like that.

LysUltima likes this.
  19. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    $5? That's.... Kinda small... At a pace of 15c/1m, you should be getting somewhere between 60k-200k views, which should be giving you $10-100 monthly (from ads)... but, yeah, that's nowhere close to an actual professional translator's wage, considering the ~60 hours you put into it.
    Plus, most of us hobbyist translators don't make a penny...
    I may be clinging to a novel that could be translated by a faster person—huh? Did you just not read my earlier post? Go find a translator that can do that, and he/she will be entirely welcome! I don't really see your point here.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    My provider said something about how my CPM (or similar) was 0.18, which was low (the standard being 0.30), which was probably due to my low view count or something... T.T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.