Discussion Words that just break the immersion

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kokuyasou, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    I lately decided to read God of Slaughter( DONT JUDGE ME BRUH:sweating_profusely:) and couldn't help but notice some...weird word choices the translator makes like : Upanishads:blobconfused:?(whatever the hell do Hindu scriptures have to do with a CN novel?), Demogorgon:blobawkward:(apparently something from Dungeons&Dragons?), but what kinda annoys me the most is the term "hotshot":blobsweat_2: he uses to refer to strong people which feels out of place to me...Well anyways that's just my subjective opinion so take it with a grain of salt:blobsalt:.
    Back on topic, I felt like knowing if other people also stumbled upon words that just makes them hit the brakes.:cookie:

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  2. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Does a missing comma count?
    not from your post but in novels.

I can't give examples because most are already pointed out and I won't remember a novel for a missing comma.

3. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the words might seem odd but they fit in with the context the author wrote the sentence in~

4. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh I know what you mean. Chinese novel with no modern interaction somehow describes projectile attacks as bullets, cannonballs, shells, and whatever else that smashes immersion into oblivion.

readerz and Kokuyasou like this.
  5. DarthOu

DarthOu 《Lord Vader》

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, I don't like the word "Fuck" in fantasy novel. It feels out of place but I read anyway.

runsing and Kokuyasou like this.
  6. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How I expect to see that word a lot in killing. Hell in wars and fights just about everybody cusses.

7. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Worst for me are translators who insert "smartass" comments in the middle of the chapter. And even worst is when the editor jumps in to insert a second "smartass" comment in reply. So unprofessional.

8. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any phrase that's overused.

For example "In the blink of an eye" in Coiling Dragon. Used so much like it was the only way to measure a span of time, drove me insane.

Kokuyasou likes this.
  9. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon maker using they instead of it,he or she. It hurts my head just like mtl does. Seriously, is this the translator avoiding to misgender characters? Or is it written in gender neutral form in KR?

10. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of the early words in true martial world. It’s easy to break immersion in those early chapters

11. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea I just filter out expletives since we wouldn't understand the "intensity" of the cuss word if they just came up with new ones

I feel ya(#nohomo) doesn't make any sense to compare attacks to freaking projectiles that don't even exist in that world
    I have seen that type of expression so damn much in CN novels that I honestly just ignore them now. I wouldn't be surprised if someone wrote a whole chapter of stuff happening and just added "this took time to explain, but happened in the blink of an eye" at the end.

12. Mopeah

Mopeah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not a translated novel, but I read a series of books where there's this whole dark mystery going on about newly discovered ruins, an ancient civilization, and this horrifying event that occurred that no one can speak of. The main character has a psychic connection to this event, this creature and the mystery is built so well and the tension is so thick that I was just immersed in the setting. Until literally the last word of the second book revealed the forbidden name of the terrifying creature...

Cthulu

fucking ruined me

GDLiZy and runsing like this.
  13. brioche235

brioche235 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This. I mean, if the TL or editor wants to make a quip about something in the novel, at least have the decency to do it as a footnote.

14. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
    "Half a day" in some novels (apparently it means "a long time") - I have to pause and think if it's literal or not ("He stared at it half a day.")

blablabla12 likes this.
  15. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    That's more of a language thing, english isn't meant for un-gendered things, while asian languages are generally much more supportive for this kind of writing

aoiisora and runsing like this.
  16. faerro

faerro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Ultimate Evolution the author sometimes gets really excited over his own story and will end a sentence with four freaking exclamation points out of nowhere!!!! It drives me crazy!!!! Are we like three years old all of a sudden!!!!

And also; jade-like hair, jade-like skin, jade-like teeth, jade-like forehead, jade-like elbows, jade-like jade-like jade-like.................

17. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate when authors do that. It always makes me think that they just randomly start screaming for no reason.

18. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst is when the setting is European but the translation has people speaking -san, oneechan, and such. And why would a commoner be calling a duke "something-sama" or whatever. It should be "Your Grace."

It's not that I hate it but it does ruin immersion for me.

Eques, blablabla12, Rumby and 2 others like this.
  19. DarthOu

DarthOu 《Lord Vader》

Reading List:
    Link
    lol the TL is overexcited, he/she cannot bother to put it in footnote because of over excitement.
    aa, this too. Title-sama. Feels weird, if it's a name it's fine, eg Satou-sama

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the worst, IMO. I hate that.

So all the nobles in Victorian England are speaking Japanese? Lol. I just can't... :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.