[App] Notifications for NovelUpdates

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by inv3rse, Jul 16, 2017.

1. inv3rse

inv3rse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Small update:
    I just released version 1.1.1 to the store (should be visible in around 30 minutes).
    It comes with notification grouping by novel. A click on the summary notification will link to the oldest update within the group and only dismiss that part of the notification. If there is only one update left within the summary notification it will "ungroup" and show that notification normally.

Unfortunately each android version behaves somewhat differently and it was quite some amount of work to support it down to android 4.x.
    Please let me know if something is not working as intended or if you disagree with the intended way.

Currently I am working on support for usage of public lists without logging in. After that the next thing on my list are notifications settings/modes per novel.

@noisypixy thanks for your suggestions

noisypixy likes this.
  2. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    And another update (Version 1.2.1):
    Now it is possible to use the public reading list instead of login with username and password.
    It will again take a couple of minutes before it is live because the first version I put out does not load images correctly.
    (The novel detail page is slightly different when logged out, which is why my image selector failed)

3. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    Now a bigger update (Version 1.4):
    New design of the reading list with unread chapter count badge.
    Detail page to open releases and track progress.
    Ability to enable notifications per novel and settings for the notification behavior.

Unfortunately you will have to login again.

4. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, has anything changed with the sign in process in the last two updates? because I can't seem to log into my account since the previous update.

I even reset the password a few times, but nothing works and I'm always getting the wrong username or password error.

I also tried the public list, but I get an error that it failed to find chapters for Against Heaven and it ends up not loading anything (this particular series among most of my reading list is at 0 chapters because I haven't started it yet, not sure if that influences the application)

5. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    The login process should be the same it was before. Could you try deleting the app data or re-installing the app to see if that fixes it?

You are correct about the error with Against Heaven. The synchronization will fail if the chapter on your reading list is not found on the detail page. I believe that only happens if the chapter you put on the reading list has been deleted. As far as I am aware adding a novel to a list will always set the progress to the first existing chapter.

For now you would have to manually update your progress to an existing chapter. I will however address that in a future update.

6. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I reinstalled it a few times before, but now I also performed some cleaning with the default Android space manager and it worked, but it seems it's unable to add any of the novels, despite not receiving any errors.

Were the novels I was seeing in previous versions the ones which the app already received notifications for or were they the novels from the list added by default after the sync?

Sorry for all trouble, but ever since you've launched this app it has been a life saver :) it helped me manage my work time a lot better throughout the week. It'd be awesome if there was even a pro version so that everyone who appreciates your work could contribute.

7. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah the list of novels in the older and current version are the ones on your reading list that you will receive notifications from.

If the synchronization fails there should be a snackbar message including the series that caused the error.
    In case that the reading list is empty a message saying to use the website to add series to the reading list should be visible.

What i failed to take into consideration is that you can put a novel without chapters on your reading list that will be displayed as v0c0. I am currently working on a fix for that.

8. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, that's what I'm currently getting, the message to add series on the website, not sure what I'm doing wrong as the list was retrieved without any problems prior to the last updates. I added at least the 1st chapter to each novel in the reading list, but it seems that it still can't retrieve the novels.

I'll try to install it on another few devices, maybe there's something interfering with this app on my phone somehow.

EDIT: Found the problem, I'm updating the reading list manually and the application now wants strict chapter numbers as they are published on the website (previously this did not appear to pose a problem, it accepted both 0 - which you mentioned to be coming in a future fix - and also different chapter names which I assume is also tied to the rules specific to allowing 0 chapters). I had V31c1 for example, but the exact entry on Novel Updates was V31c1-2.

The public list also works, it seems the problem for both was that having even one novel for which the latest chapter in the reading list isn't recognized, would cause the entire list to not be loaded into the application.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  9. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    No the problem is not with your phone.
    Since the last update the app has significantly more capabilities and is trying to save as much information locally as possible to avoid spamming NU with requests and creating loading times.

Unfortunately I have to rely on web scraping and combine information from different pages. In case that a release on your reading list is not found on the detail page the error is thrown and cancels the sync operation.

DChewie likes this.
  10. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the info. I edited my last comment with some information, but thankfully it works now :).

11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Best of luck

12. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    @DChewie nice to hear that you could work around it and thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    I have now simply added a fallback if the progress chapter can not be found, that assumes that none of the chapters have been read.

The update is deployed to the store, but will probably take an hour or so before it is live.

13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    So I got a new phone (asus zenfone 4) and seem to have stopped getting notifications. I'm logged in and everything, I've made sure my phone isn't blocking anything, and I've looked through all the settings. It was a great app on my previous phone (Acer liquid z630), so I'm hoping you could shed some light on the issue. Also it's a little difficult to test whether or not I'm getting any since that requires a new chapter coming out, which is a little unpredictable. Thanks.

14. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for the late response.
    The app subscribes to firebase push notifications for novels at the same time as they are written into the local database. Meaning that you should be able to receive notifications for all novels that are shown in the app. (You could try to log out and in again to force an update to the subscribed novels, although I do not think that it would help).

Have you looked into the ASUS Auto-start Manager? It appears to prevent apps that are not white listed from starting in the background when a notification is received: https://inspiretech.zendesk.com/hc/...cation-I-m-using-Asus-Phone-or-Xiao-Mi-phone-

To test push notifications you can install a dev build (different firebase project which I use for testing purposes) and message me to manually trigger a notification. Or if you have curl, postman or something else for http requests I can give you the necessary information to trigger it yourself.

15. UnbarredStream

UnbarredStream Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Easy, for iOS programming and publishing you need iMAC and pay an annual fee of $100.... for android development you need... any SO (Windows/MAC/Linux) and pay a fee of $0 because google give you the tools for free, and for publishing (in play store because you can upload your app totally free in other sites) you need to pay a single fee of $25 (lifetime)

16. availchet

availchet Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this open source? Anything I can do to contribute?

17. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently it is not open source. Although I am considering making it public as you are not the first person asking that question.

18. inv3rse

Reading List:
    Link
    The long awaited support for multiple lists is finally here :)
    But just because it works on my device, it does necessarily mean it works for everyone or fits every use case. So if you like to, join the open beta and test it out. Feedback or bug reports are greatly appreciated.

Update (version 1.6):

Currently in open beta. You can join it here.
    Added support for multiple lists. They will appear in the drawer, where you can also disable notifications on a per list basis.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  19. maky369

maky369 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, love the concept for the app.

However I'm not getting the badge for unread chapter counts. Push notifications work when updates are released, but pressing the notification brings me to my reading list with no badges on any novels. Additionally, every novel in the app will say the chapter progress is up to date (I.e. New chapter already read), but going to NU on browser will show my reading progress as behind the newly released chapters.

Any ideas?

20. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are in the beta, delete your app, find a previous version of the app from somewhere on the internet (not the playstore), install it, then go to the playstore and update it to the beta version. Once you log back in, that should fix most issues

AliceShiki likes this.