Your top 3 translator

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lineage, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Littledragonlady

Littledragonlady The last member of Ancient Tomb Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow, I got a feeling that Ren is winning the race (if there is any)

2. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    it would be wierd if he wasn't for a lot of people

3. Demn_Ryt

Demn_Ryt Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah..gotta agree to that..
    Flowerbridgetoo

Miss that wave realeases..

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
    Astaroth likes this.
  4. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translator from Baka-tsuki were amazing too. There are lots of novel which would never be translated without them.

ln_, LazyLuong, SnowTime and 4 others like this.
  5. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    Translation Aggregator

GM_Rusaku likes this.
  6. TheNoraShinki

TheNoraShinki 『Cryo's Esper』『Cryo's Silly Husband』

Reading List:
    Link
    Kidyeon and estelion like this.
  7. MataMelirik

MataMelirik *wink*wink*

Reading List:
    Link
    1.ren,deathblade,FBT,yellowlaw,etvo,pika,he man( basically all wuxiaworld translator)
    2.gravity tales translator.
    3. Lnmtl and google translate

SnowTime and Lineage like this.
  8. Boy and the Beast

Boy and the Beast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1st : Deathblade (well he is THE translator of my best novel )
    2nd : wyhcwe (WoC - I like his witty and profound ramblings)
    3rd : Turtle ( for continuing LMS)

I should also mention Just a Normal Guy for continuing with Juvenile Medical God ( My relaxation read)

9. Lineage

Lineage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The people in noodletown is quite hilarious... i love their humor...

Astaroth and SnowTime like this.
  10. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    The translations I like the most are, WoC's wwyxhqc/wyhcwe, TTNH's itsumomisora and HJC's Zen. In no particular order.

Honorable mention to WDQK's Yeow & Law

ln_ likes this.
  11. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    My number one definitely has to be Estellion! I think that my first web novel might have been Otoburi, but I don't even remember anymore. I love all of Este-sama's works, so there's that too. Second... Hm... It's Willful Casual! Sadly s/he hasn't updated in more than a month, and chapters aren't exactly the most consistent, but still. I loved the way that the chapters read. Or maybe I just simply like Chu Wang Fei that much (I can't deny it, Chu Wang Fei is amazing o3o). And then third... wwyxhqc/wyhcwe, probably. I'm not reading WoC, but I've read Just One Smile is Very Alluring and To Be a Virtuous Wife, which I loved. Although a lot of people criticize the use of all the Chinese terminology, I personally liked it and thought it added to the experience.

Aki95, SnowTime and estelion like this.
  12. THE READER

THE READER Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. The person/s who translated Mahouka. I really don't the name of the person/s but the they are number one because they introduce novel world to me. Mahouka was my first novel and boy that was a hard read.
    2.bakahou/yoraikun and the other people who help translating shield bro.since shield bro is the start of my web novel experience.
    3.bagelson and the people who help translating duolou dalu. First Chinese web novel.

Does not read Korean novels YET like LMS or ARK. Gotta binge read it if there are like slow updates on other novels

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Upheaval likes this.
  13. Leonzell

Leonzell Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anyone remember taptap? no? (first set of 3 are my favorites for doing fantastic translations of novels that brought so many into the LN/WN community
    1.Taptap (Sword art online)
    2.code-zero (High school DXD) (though not the current translater)
    3. Krytyk (back before it was DMCA'ed, anti-magic academy.) (also does only sense online that seems popular, though i havn't read it yet)
    this set is current translaters
    1. Ren
    2. Thyaeria
    3. blue silver grass translations
    4. Deceptioning
    5. Hyorinmaru and CKtalon for translating Martial world and True martial world (idk if they are the only translators on the project i just checked the latest chapters to see who translated)

Lineage and Astaroth like this.
  14. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • teh_ping/hell_ping for translating gundam unicorn, baka to test, IS, clockwork planet, hikaru and many more :*
    • js06 index, waltraute, heavy object, horizon and harem series
    • C.E translation team sayonara piano sonata, mushi, etc

15. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll go with a slightly different list. Here are ones that I think are the most influential:

1. Ren - A very reasonable guy who ends up mediating a lot of things in the community. He made it "okay" to do sponsored chapters. I think if anyone else tried to do this, they would have not been so successful. I'm not too sure about this part, but I think he certainly played a role in popularizing Chinese novels as well. On a slightly personal note, leaving his job as a diplomat to do translations full time... I could never do that (between you guys and respectable stable do$h, I'd certainly choose the latter). I don't think anyone can doubt his dedication to this.

2. re:Translations - I credit them for really popularizing novel translations for the community at large. Sure, Baka-Tsuki had always been around (and yaoi novels...) but they really brought the medium to a newer audience... and they also brought the medium to newer would be translators, especially those who never did scanlations (aka "fresh blood").

3. Este (oniichanyamate) - Popularizing female protagonist novels to those who aren't necessarily in the target demographic. The novels he chose were a breath of fresh air compared to what was popular at the time (and still are maybe). Certainly, Shusheng Bar (note: Shusheng doesn't do translations, but a lot of translators use that site) has been around for years, but they are still very niche, whereas Este's translations ended up having a wider appeal.

-----

As for my personal "favorite" translators, I have a quite a lot. In general, I appreciate the translators who have been around for a long time and (try to) keep their promises, or apologize when they can't deliver. (I'm not talking about translators who habitually don't keep their word and apologize all the time because of it). I value consistency and forwardness over speed. It's not that I don't enjoy speedy translations, but stability is much harder to come by on the net.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Aki95, AnarchyDev, estelion and 7 others like this.
  16. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In no particular order.

Untuned Strings: Not the best in terms of accuracy (because of translating from Korean translations of Japanese novels), but makes up for it by being one of the best writers out of the translators I've read, and in my opinion writing skill is even more important for a translator than translating. I also like the translation style; when reading Allison and the related series, you can hardly even tell that it's a translated work and it doesn't need translation notes of any kind, it's more like reading an original English novel from a professional author.

Grand Arbiter and 5th Holy Sheeprabbit, Kilimanjaro Estelion Sharlulu Asheel Vinchance Celenalia di ef Falufiluu'Luufilaafee (The 35th) aka estelion: Overall good translator, no problems with translation quality, writing quality, or speed, but what really stands out is the choice of novels. It's not as bad now, but a couple years ago the selection of novels with female protagonists (that aren't filled with cheap fanservice) was a desolate wasteland, especially if you exclude romance novels. Estelion brought over quite a few of them, all of which were good stories, and also made a list that brought even more interest and got other translators to pick them up.

Yoraikun: Good translations and writing, excellent consistency and speed. ...I don't like having just that one line here after how much I wrote the first two, but I can't really think of anything else to say.

And of course, the most important quality all of them have is that they translated things that I like.

Special mention for teams of translators: Skythewood and NanoDesu.

17. Kidyeon

Kidyeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm definitely unbiased...

1. @etvolare - One of the best people I've worked with/been around. And consistent work with both SOTR, GDK, BH (When the coalition was still together), and a decent pace with Lazurite.
    2. @TaffyGirl13 - Great person, great translator.
    3. Kuro - Great person, great translator.

I almost feel like 2 and 3 are blow off answers... but those are my sincere reasons... *shrug*

18. erichninja

erichninja Don’t think about it

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I vote for myself?

Jk

19. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    No one mentioned He-man? I believe he deserves an honorable mention, otherwise, Ren might not be here now :p
    My fav list is... way too long
    Oniichanyamete, Deception, Deathblade, Yoraikun.... etc

Oh! I gotta mention Annie who's still doing her best TLing Zhan long.... Even I gave up on it :v

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
    Astaroth likes this.
  20. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Deathblade, Bao, and the translator of TTNH, all reliable and high quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.