Discussion What puts you off when reading a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by IMM, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    to be fair, logically speaking if the standard of dishes is that of middle age where people barely know how to combine spice to make decent food and only use salt and other basic ingredients then something like Pudding/ice cream/spicy chicken wing or any modern dishes in general would be otherworldly delicious

but yea I agree that often the heroine just fall for the MC because... reason, it is just childish and embarassing, forced harem is just meh, I love harem, but often it was done wrong, Good harem example would be Seventh

2. OddJobs

OddJobs Daoist Spendrift

Reading List:
    Link
    • MC's beaten like a pig every damn time
    • genius/clever MC's yet they act dumb at the most crucial times
    • MC's who fall in love after meeting a jade like beauty with slender thighs and plump breast for like 2 seconds
    • MC's who got transported/reincarnated to another world adapting fast to their new world real quick, assimilating so fast that it feels as if they're a fucking native of that world and not someone who came from earth
    • MC's with level-up systems(with stores) yet sometimes not fully utilizing the fucking shit out it just because the shits in the systems are damn expensive *cough* ultimate scheming system *cough* and even sometimes totally forgetting that they have an OP shit with them for like more than 100 chaps *cough* Leveling Up And Becoming Undefeatable and Invincible Leveling King *cough*
    • And every damn stupid antagonist who where hailed as a genius in the fucking story yet looking like a bumbling fool when dealing with the MC

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmmmmmmm... Bad writing I guess?

There aren't many tropes or things that particularly bother me, I just dislike bad writing I guess.

4. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    The word is repetition!
    Certain words or phrases get over-used. Certain situations are repeated. Certain characters get copied endlessly like there's an arrogant young master or jade-skinned beauty factory out there somewhere. A running joke turns into a marathon.

That bothers me, and so does the "And Now For Something Completely Different" kind of plot twist (Like a lot of Chinese novels where an arc starts and the MC discovers a new area with new laws of physics and new characters and new skill sets that completely replace the old skill sets and everything has to be explained of course).

alexfilia likes this.
  5. cherryclan

cherryclan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    before I say anything, I would like to share something with you all. *ahem ahem* When I first started reading Chinese Novels (cancer that is TDG) I came across that term 'Jade like skin'. I looked it over and continued on for a solid minute before I suddenly realized that the girl's skin wasn't green. Story over.

I've recently started reading Female protag novels after I got tired of the harem xianxias, so expect the list to be quiet long.

♣ When the MC (reincarnated individual who used to be an assassin or a mercenary) spends a solid paragraph emphasizing how the MC has seen a thousand different beauties and women don't affect him anymore but in the next second they start talking about how this girl he met is making his heart (more like his dick) jump all over the place. Okay, that's alright. It's not too much of stretch to find ONE beauty that makes you stir, but what the fuck are you doing if you practically have a heart attack every time you run into a woman and her mother? Fuck you Assasin McMercenary.

♣ When the ultra smart MC does some stupid ass shit that even I, the ultra dumbass, knows is an act of utter tomfoolery. Kinda starting to suspect that the MC has a superpower where anyone who comes into contact with him loses half their IQ.

♣ When the MC travels back into their past and they have this 'love of their life' who died or NTRed against her will in the future. MC spends entire chapters highlighting how amazing she is and all the sacrifices she's made for him. Then he turns around and... please refer to spade point one you ungrateful bastard.

♣ Deus ex Machina. I like an OP MC as much as the next person but COME ON. There is no way the MC broke through 4 in a week before his big face slap gathering when his entire cultivation up to that point was based on him deepthroating his golden finger.

♣ Harems. Just harems. Never had a good experience.

♣ MCs with justice boners. Whenever there are dudes to slap and babes to collect, justice is near.

♣ MC's injuries. I get that the author wants to make the battle more believable by leaving serious injuries on the MC but you need to understand what SERIOUS means. The MC should not be able to go around slapping others with his justice rod or even be able to get out of bed with some of these injuries. In fact, he should be fucking dead with how serious some of these injuries are made out to be. I'm no doctor, but you shouldn't be romancing that Tsundere jade bed ornament if some dude just lodged his magical sword in your stomach and spun you around like a fucking fan a week ago.

There's other stuff but that kinda starts going for female and BL novels too. Post it later

6. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    The harem.....

Fiftyshadesofsucku likes this.
  7. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Translators opinion on the novel.

example:

Sentence (TL Opinion on what the MC is doing)
    Sentence

I can tolerate it, BUT to appear in almost every chapter and sentence, My god... :blobdevil: I'm glad i only encountered that kind of translation once and if i recall correctly that group is dead.

8. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    That novels didn't have my taste and I have other novel on my list that must be read first.;)

9. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    1 chapter full of only the peanut gallery's reaction.. and also Harem

10. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    The deus ex machina cycle of bullcrap. It's the mixture between repititive plot and nonsense.

11. Verethragna97

Verethragna97 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad writing. I don't expect much, but strong inconsistencies or bad storytelling really gets me.

12. Marbles

Marbles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate the stupid antagonists in martial art novels. The one's that are deemed as 'arrogant genuises' like in AGM. They are just so retarded and one dimensional it makes me dnf. :facepalm:

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Time travel, body swapping and game elements would be the red flags for me before starting to read.
    Aside for that it would be things like unnecessarily complicated plots, you don't need a freaking reincarnated world traveller when a completely regular person works just as well for the story.
    And recurring characters that are too dumb to live, especially if it is the mc, it isn't exactly fun to read a story where the one character you wish would die is the one you know has the plot armor.

14. RTS

RTS ☀┩ îИϑîℂ✞υƧ ɛӼքʊɢռǟȶօʀ┡☀

Reading List:
    Link
    The repetitive plot of a novel really gets on my goat.

15. Xieljhane

Xieljhane Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem...!!!!! And with a rape tag!!
    Not comfortable with it"" !! :blobangery:

16. MagneticMagnet

MagneticMagnet Well-Known Magnet

Reading List:
    Link
    General categories:
    -NTR, yaoi. Not my cup of tea.
    -Rape. I can stomach it if there's only a minimal amount, it has a definite purpose in the story and it's skippable but anything more is a no. The novel needs to have quite a lot of positive qualities for even that much, though.

The story makes no sense:
    -Deus ex machina, asspulls. The MC came back to life when he remembered he left the oven on and he didn't want to burn down the house his parents left to him so he defeated the bad guy that just had killed him without effort. Wat?
    -Overly complicated plot for the sake of complicated. A and B are at war. C and D join B. C turns coat and joins A. B and C make a truce. A was a good guy all along, C was the bad guy! D joins C. A an B fight C and D. Suddenly alien robots, everyone are the bestest friends. D was actually alien robot scout unit!...
    -Plot that goes nowhere or is entirely made out of templates. A story needs a goal for the MC to work towards, any goal. Just floundering around aimlessly doing this and that for no reason isn't a proper story. Repeating the same cliches over and over is hardly any better.

MC:
    -MC is a gigantic douche. I'm not sure why I would want to read a story about someone I want to punch in the face.
    -Everything is overly convenient for the MC. MC was given what he needed for beating the bad guy on a silver platter yet again. Now he can spend more time getting praised by the king and his elf slave waifu. Hooray!
    -Questionable powerups. MC awakens a legendary power no one has seen in hundred years in the time of crisis just because he remembered something his master said to him years ago. Fifty chapters later everyone is using these powers and MC awakens another legendary power. Bonus points for MC being an ordinary high school boy.
    -Excessive cringe. MC tips his medieval fedora and says "M'lady". Suddenly all nearby females start fighting who gets to sleep with him.

alexfilia likes this.
  17. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    When the Mc bends over just to satisfy a potential harem member. It really annnoys. Here we have a so called op and intelligent mc, but he is willing to get humiliated, become an errand boy or make enemies for no reason. It makes it so much worse when the female tried to kill the mc or looks down on him yet mc is still willing to forgive her and make her his harem member

18. MarxDarkBear

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuckboy Mc's. A mc that goes around flirting with several women and try to hookup eventhough he already has a fiance/girlfriend. Seriously what is the difference between the mc and the so called young masters he is fighting against.
    - overcomplicated harem (I genuinly don't like harems, but when 60% of the novels on the site are harem I just have to deal with it). It's still okay if there are 3 or 4 harem members. However when there a kingdom toppling beauty introduced every hook or cranny the mc visits I will drop the novel faster than America starts a war when they hear the word oil.

19. Sablecaballero

Sablecaballero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots of things I hate have been already said, so there is one new: every time someone uses a legendary technique or takes out an artifact there is this guy who recognizes it: "Oh My God, it's the lost martial art of the whatshisname sect which dissapeared one billion years ago!" "And that's the sword of the first saint of Whatever, nobody has seen it in eons!" Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah right ¬¬

Oh, and OF COURSE everything was better in the past: they had better weapons, better techniques, and better potions. As ages pass everybody just gets dumber and dumber (probably why every antagonist is a bloody idiot)

alexfilia and Fiftyshadesofsucku like this.
  20. MarxDarkBear

Reading List:
    Link
    - The same fkng summary in these female asassins transmigration novels. I will understand if you take certain parts of a novel and use it as a reference for your own novel. But even the fkng sumary.... Really??. For example: the 124th good for nothing trash miss from the duke/general whose engagement got anulled by the 77 prince kills herself. A strong genius asassin from the 21st century who is suprisingly really stupid eventhough she is supposed to be an asassin takes her body. She will show all these people her place. Divine beast want to make a contract with her. She becomes the biggest genius in pill making. Bla bla other achievements.
    Handsome male lead that loves the female lead and is her biggest cheat: I watch you sleep and use sexual harrasment and stalk you to make you fall in love with me.
    Female lead:......
    Any novel that has this description or along the line definately goes on my not to read list.
    -Female leads who are supposed to be genius, strong asassins/mafia/poison doctor/businesswoman/spy, Yet are really fkng heavily reliant on the male leads. Without the male leads they would have already been long dead. It is even in the freaking title. Ghost kings wife. The emperor's consort. Demon king empress etc.

Moonpearl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.