Recommendations looking for warhammer or warhammer 40k novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Dkaepa, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Dkaepa

Dkaepa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I'll explain a little why I'm looking for warhammer history and I'd like your help.

so I read a story about the zergs the only one I found :blobcry:(https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7080862/1/The-Swarm-of-War) hence she has the warhammer 40k universe together and since I do not basically understand anything about warhammer I got kind of understood and did not understand what the story is talking about when it's about the characters and names of the warhammer things.:blobdizzy:

give as of the little that has on the warhammer in this story ended up taking my interest on the universe of warhammer.:hmm: I know that Warhammer is a board game and that there is a lot about it,:sweating_profusely: but I'd like to know a little bit about the Warhammer and about the history that goes on it.:aww:

So I like to know, does anybody know some stories that goes on in the warhammer / warhammer 40k universe?:cookie: preferably the Author speaks and explains about warhammer?:blob_grin: if you can indicate a good amount of history I would greatly appreciate it.:blobsmilehappyeyes:

I already apologize if some sentences will be harder to understand because I used google translator to write and I modified what I found strange in the phrases for me:blobawkward:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dkaepa and gary0044187 like this.
  3. Bagelson

Bagelson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main thing to keep in mind is that Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are entirely different universes. If you're looking for the lore, I'd suggest Youtube. Warhammer and 40k have a long history with plenty of fans, so there's loads of well made videos.

gary0044187 and Dkaepa like this.
  4. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    gary0044187 and Dkaepa like this.
  5. ASalesmanOfDoom

ASalesmanOfDoom Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Boy where to start on this one..... well as an avid reader of 40k novels, player of said games and hell even an employee at some point I guess I should chime in.

If you want to read the background of the current 40K universe and how they got there, start with the horus heresy series which is going on 40+ books at this point. You don't have to read them all as they are not all connected directly as many books happen at the same time as others and merely explore what happened to another chapter or whatnot. What I do recommend starting with is reading the first 4 books, the starting trilogy of Horus Rises/False Gods/Galaxy in flames followed by The Flight of the Eisenstien (which I think of as the unofficial 4th book of the trilogy). From there you can kinda see which chapters interest you and read accordingly. Basically up until you reach the novel Know no fear you can read in whatever order you like. After Know no fear if you want to keep reading the series I suggest reading all the books between Know no Fear and Unremembered Empire before reading Unremembered Empire (Dan Abnett is some sort of wizard who somehow takes all the myriad of loose plot threads, ties them together and then shoots them back out in to the universe....bastard)

Other than the Horus Heresy series however their are a number of books/series I highly recommend reading.

Gaunts Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. Some of the best fiction novels I've ever read and I totally understand why active service members have asked him in person if he's served after reading the combat scenes. That being said they are just good novels in general...even if you moved the setting the characters are memorable an engaging......even Elijah Fething Cuu.

Ciaphus Cain series by Sandy Mitchell basically the Flashman papers set in the 40k universe but much more fun and Cain is far more likable. Another way to describe it is Blackadder in space.

The Night Lords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski Bowden probably the best novels written from the perspective of Chaos in the entire black library product line. A.D.B and Dan Abnett are two authors who if I see their name on a book I will buy.

Eisenhorn Trilogy and Ravenor Trilogy by Dan Abnett. Eisenhorn especially gives you the best look at life in the imperium out of every Warhammer novel I've ever read. Plenty of action but mostly feels like and incredibly dark and gritty detective novel where you see in detail how life on imperial planets is and the grinding bureaucracy that is the imperium.

The Emperor's Gift by Aaron Dembski Bowden is another personal favorite book of mine so I'll put it here.

Other than that, they also sell a start here novel as it were for 40k that's full of short stories about 40 followed by a recomendation for a full novel that similar that can also help you. I love my 40k novels so ummmm.....yeah, for pure 'history' start with the Horus Heresy series as that sets the foundation for EVERYTHING happening in the 40k universe (should mention the heresy happens 10000 years earlier :D)

gary0044187, PenguinXeus and Dkaepa like this.
  6. dezzter

dezzter The one who knows

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Legends of The Dark Millennium: Ultramarines, it's a collection of stories of the Ultramarines one of the strongest and most honored chapters of Space Marines.

7. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    also there's this-

8. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fantasy, I suggest the gotrek and felix stories, guants ghosts for 40k. for basic info on 40k i strongly suggest going to this channel on youtube and just watching some videos. This guy breaks literally every part of 40k lore down for you-
    https://www.youtube.com/user/OneMindSyndicate

also zergs are starcraft, not 40k. 40k have Tyranids which are much more terrifying.

9. Dkaepa

Dkaepa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, but the story I was looking for was about the zerg and just had this story that I found, that one guy turned into a zerg larva in the starcraft universe and then he went on to the 40k warhammer universe because of an explosion when he was passing through a wormhole

gary0044187 likes this.
  10. ASalesmanOfDoom

ASalesmanOfDoom Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah....in a Tyranid vs Zerg fight my money is on the Tyranids the entire way