[Poll] What do you think your RPG stats would be?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
?

Do you think most people overestimate or underestimate themselves?

1. Severely overestimates themselves

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Significantly overestimates themselves

25 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. Mildly overestimates themselves

41 vote(s)
    38.7%
  4. Neither overestimate or underestimate

10 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Mildly underestimates themselves

14 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Significantly underestimates themselves

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Severely underestimates themselves

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it started attacking your brain cells xD
    No seriously i feel sorry for you mate :blobsob::blobsob:

2. Quitutatur

Quitutatur [He Who Desires All That Be][Catgirl Lover]

Reading List:
    Link
    undeads do everything for me because i'm insanely lazy

3. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    high cha and decent wis/int, [Summoner] and [Healer] classes seem appropiate for you
    Don't worry, we'll throw you in the front lines, I mean if the top [CON] is true then you seem to be a fine tank and you'll be fine, if you aren't fine, we'll learn that it was the bottom [CON]

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. Artusar

Artusar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    STR 9 } (What even is exercise)
    DEX 12 } ^
    CON 11-12} ^
    INT 20 (must.consume.knowledge)
    WIS 18 (though I am socially inept people often ask me for advice)
    CHA 16 (I don’t know why either, but nearly everyone in my school knows about me and because I’ve changed school, now about 400 people know me irl but I don’t know them xd)

2nd it’s a 40-5-55 split I think

3rd Well I have no feeling of self worth, but I am fairly logical in most of my decisions so I’d say 70-20-10 (under-realistic-over)

5. Trabca

Trabca Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Strength: 8
    Dexterity: 11
    Constitution: 8
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 10
    Charisma: 8
    Might have overestimated my strength and dexterity...
    I'd guess that most people underestimate themselves, unless they're like me and overestimate certain points to make themselves feel better (can't push a door open with one arm and have it swing out, even if I have momentum from walking into it)

6. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you should consider gaining weight then xD

7. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the same for me xD
    Everywhere i go people tend to remember me ... for my weirdness :blobcry:

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Str :12-17 / 1-3 Depending on what you define as 'heavy' and long distance
    Dex : 16-19 /2-4 , depending on i'm using to 'hit'
    Con : 16-17 /3 , most of the time maybe
    Int : 18-19 /4 , if you're pretty vague with 'new processes'. For me, it's more like finding easier ways to do something old
    Wis : 14-17 /2-3 at best
    Cha : 12-13 / 1 , but noone in this city is a 3 unless a) the person addressing them is drunk / trying to sell something / want their time b) knows them from before

And yes, I would say this might be a bit of overestimations, considering they're from my best times

9. Quitutatur

Quitutatur [He Who Desires All That Be][Catgirl Lover]

Reading List:
    Link
    weird is good right? at least they don't randomly hate you for like nothing...

10. Artusar

Artusar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I am always remembered as either Thor(don’t ask) or “the dude with the really long hair” or I get mistaken as a teacher. It’s fun to confuse new students *snicker*. But it could also be my weirdness. Dunno.

11. bloggbigg

bloggbigg Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, as stats go, your 'distribution' is broken.
    The original D&D made 18's 'Olympic class'. and 19-25 were within the realm of legends/dieties. At the very least 18 was the threshold for humanity without magic/special exception/intervention. In any case, allowing severe advances 'up', without equal advances 'down' further skews accurate representation, as it's probably true that at least as many people 'slack off' as 'work hard'. This is even assuming 'hard work can even lead to an appropriate stat increase.
    I find thinking about the charisma 'stat' also suggests a LOT more about local culture and personal choices than individual personal ability/appearance. It's pretty much a 'gamey' resolution value. The fact that it's mostly useful (in game) within the same 'race' backs up this quite a bit I think. In truth, a 'charismatic' person is bound by knowledge of the other person's desires/culture- otherwise 'drawing them in' is limited- even if they're stunningly good-looking.

That said my stats would approach 'higher' mental, 'slightly above average' physical.
    Sorry to not use those numbers- but I think they misrepresent in themselves.

Second, self-appraisal requires a few factors to be accurate:
    • Awareness of recognizable 'standard' (you just enforced your own)
    • Experience with standard in context (or ability to accurately estimate, as people must 'convert to' yours, so some accuracy is lost)
    • Ability to be objective and avoid conversion and presentation bias
    Seeing as most cultures are 'self-promotion' positive (sales, job interviews, even dating), it's more likely than most people will habitually over-estimate on top of any other errors. In most situations the 'punishment' for over-estimating is delayed if ever enforced, while the 'punishment' for under-estimating is immediate. For example- getting scolded or fired from a job where you lied about your abilities when they finally find out (a few paychecks later) vs not getting hired in the first place because someone else seems better (even if they lied).
    Anyway, the poll results seem to indicate most people realize some aspect of that issue as well.

Finally, I think 'life experience' teaches people to not overestimate themselves (too much). After all, 'falling short' is a good corrective lesson (if learned). Well- it would be if people never had cause to blame anything else...

As an aside, I drop the CHA stat & use APP for Appearance, then leave the rest to role-play as it is a knowledge/presentation dynamic. Even then it's still a pretty useless stat against those who care about fact/logic, etc. (in most situations).

Recouer likes this.
  12. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends but people tends to avoid me soo... i don't really know what's worst.
    Well having long hair can be considered weird as you're not following the trend.
    As for the thor part i can somewhat guess where this is coming from xD

13. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    STR 8
    DEX 9
    CON 12
    INT 13
    WIS 15
    CHA 9
    Whether a person overestimates or underestimates depends on their ego. People with large egos or high self esteem will overestimate while those with smaller egos or low self esteem will underestimate. The most telling stat in telling this would be the Charisma stat.

14. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i took on a truck before and it gave me a week/month at the hospital. And even though i have low intelligence(due to science class and stuff) my wisdom pretty gave me a good intuition and a bit high in logic...

15. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    So... science class makes people stupid ?

16. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to try to work this out by those examples.
    Str: 16 ~ 19 since i can pickup 140lb weight one handed and can punch thru 2 inches if wood.
    Dex: 18 ~ 19 I'm light on my feet and can sneak up on people.
    Con: 16 ~ 17 I can shrug off most illness that people catch and never had the common illness people get, also I can go a full days worth of labouring since that was one of the job I have done.
    Int: 16 ~ 17 I can pick up tasks very quickly and priblem solve easly, I can solve university level maths.
    Wis: 10 ~ 11 I can make reasoned decisions, since i have behaviour blindness I can't say it's higher.
    Cha: 8 ~ 11 i can do polite conversation but generally a bore.

Going by those stats I would have to say, I'll have to chose spellsword as my class.

17. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i'm not good at memorization so i'm pretty much stupid...

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Being weird is fun! \(^^)/
    I disagree with you about the stat system being broken.

Just because in D&D it's done like that, it doesn't mean it has to be like that here.

And well, Charisma is basically knowing how to talk to people IMO, you don't need to know anything about the topics they tend to talk about if you're a smooth talker. Trying to reduce it to appearance is kinda... Eh?

Bielt likes this.
  19. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    If we talk about the D&D system we are all at most at 10 or 11 in all of our stats, because... as we all know we aren't adventurers or legends but commoners, if we were a legend we could be above 20... if we were a barbarian our str and con can go relatively high too... but we are commoners, scholars at best, so...

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be easier to say charisma stat is the measure if a person's force of personality, in how present themselves.
    Appearance can only get a person so far, I've meet some beautiful girls that a sponge would be more interesting.

Quitutatur and AliceShiki like this.