Novel Yuusha Isekai! Youjo Suki! [Ch 1-152]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by eharper256, Jun 28, 2017.

1. ChrisTheAwesome0

ChrisTheAwesome0 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the new releases!

2. eharper256

eharper256 Purveyor of Dubious Medicinal Elixirs [since 1885]

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE M
    ALONE, IN PARADISE?

I guess I shall not tire of this view in all my days. The balcony overlooking the sea is truly quite serene. The morning light seems ethereal on the waves. Better than any painting can mimic. They do say art is a pale imitation of reality.

Though, in truth, I do also enjoy the works of Masser and Circen. Something about the way they work with colour is quite fascinating. It has a mathematical precision, and that is something I can appreciate.

Alas, the tea is depleted.

I guess I should get dressed. There are books to review and accounts to scrutinise.

I select the maroon and blue riding tunic and skirts with the red trim. Doubtless father will berate me again for not wearing a noble dress, but honestly, they are such a pain to adjust, and it gives me backache due to the lack of support and those insane corsets. Not suitable for work.

I brush my hair through several times with the comb that I got from Aria. The knots are painful. It's frustrating to maintain it when it is this long, but I think it suits me like this, so I bear with it.

Doubtless I could have maids aplenty to dress me and do my hair if I so wished, but I'm stubborn like that, I prefer to do it myself. It makes me feel like some disturbing doll otherwise.

Besides, if there is one thing I can truly be confident about, it is the fact that I could likely sleep in a hedgerow for a week and still have men swoon after me. That is not arrogance, it is simply fact. And to be honest, it’s actually rather tiresome.

Goodness knows whatever I would do without my intellect... but beauty... is convenient and troublesome in equal measure. Not that I would want to be ugly, for sure, but I could be fine with being more plain.

"Are you stuck in your own thoughts again, Melody? With that creepy look in your eyes, you'll never get a man." A voice stirs me from my reverie.

"I wouldn't care much either way, Cadence." I shrug.

"Tch, such a waste." My big sister tuts.

"Did you only come to taunt me today?" I ask her.

She rolls her eyes.

"Tch, of course not. Father wants you to go to the treasury. Leanne will see you there."

"Of course. I was going. You don't have to check on me, sis." I reprimand her.

"I do. Who knows what flight of fancy you'd be off on otherwise?" She grins.

Ugh. So annoying!

"Oh, and please don't forget you have an engagement with Duke Martrew this evening. Wear a dress."

"I was trying to forget. Sendervil's cock!" I curse.

"Only you, Melody, would keep trying to turn down the kingdoms most desirable bachelor. Please keep Aria's god out of your blaspheming at least. I know I'm a fusspot, but you just have to deal with it."

I sigh. She's right of course. Cadence is always right.

She rolls her eyes again and struts off. Nobody complains about her wearing a military uniform to prop out her little chest. Because she's always right.

Whatever. I have time for my true love for a while.

I've spent half an hour staring at this page.

It's wrong.

That's not the problem, though.

It's the fact that I knew it was wrong from the start.

I knew where the errors were.

My eyes flew to them straight away, instantly crossing them out, doing the calculations, and putting in the right answer.

I suddenly realised, with a start, that I even did this for the previous fifty pages.

"Is there something wrong, your majesty? Are you tired? Shall I get you some tea with mizris?" Leanne asks, ever helpful and concerned.

Wait...

Ever helpful and concerned?

That Leanne? That snarky old maid who basically raised me and Aria?

"Leanne." I say.

"Yes, your majesty?"

"What is the time of the cloud moon's roar?" I ask a stupid question from my childhood.

She blinks blankly.

Hah... I see.

I chew on my lip for a moment.

"You... you're not real, are you?"

She gives a gentle smile, but starts to seem translucent.

I grasp my head, suddenly feeling drowsy, my eyes closing of my own volition.

Wait! No! Remember! This! This is a dream! How many times have I lived it!?

No! I must resist! It will start all over again if I sleep!

Resist! Think of the truth! Remember!

Cadence is dead.

A demon killed her.

I tried to summon four heroes. That was stupid.

I thought logic would prevail over magic but...

I open my eyes, and squint with supreme difficulty, and I am now floating in darkness. Void. It seems that I am naked now.

I see. My mind must have blown out from the burden, and retreated into a shell, an endless loop of a memory.

I myself have fallen into the void. I tried to pull on the other worlds, but it was an unbalanced rope, and I tumbled in instead.

Who knows how long I was stuck there?

I guess it was a good day to be stuck in. The day before the war started. When Aria came back to me covered in mud. When I found several fraudsters in the accounts. When there was even a mildly charming intellectual gentleman who wasn't constantly staring at my breasts. Before Cadence summoned. Before she died. Before I...

Before it all started to go wrong.

Part of me wants to shut my eyes again. Would it be so bad to keep living that day forever?

Why would I go back to suffering?

I sigh.

Because… Because that's life... isn't it...?

I force myself awake. Force myself to keep remembering. Tears keep spilling off me. Over and over. I cry and cry. But no longer do I deny.

And suddenly, there is light.

I am groggy and it feels like my limbs are made of lead. It's noisy in here. Two of the maids are fussing furiously over me.

"Her eyes! Her eyes are open as well, Stephanie!"

"Holy crap! Errm... what do we do...!? It's not our fault!"

"C-call Mistress Leanne! Ser Arnas! Anybody! Princess Melody is awake!" One of them runs off squealing and the other joins her.

I guess I must have been gone some time, then.

--------
    Yes, this was Princess Melody dreaming in her coma. And now... she's awake!

3. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    And here's what Princess Melody looks like, by the way:
    [​IMG]

No wonder Aria has a bit of an inferiority complex! Poor Aria...

4. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 97
    NUMBER ONE RULE

PROBABLY NSFW

"Nii... is it warm...?"

Kiku blushes.

It certainly is rather warm in here in many ways. I'm sat in a large wooden tub full of hot fresh water. And Kiku is snuggled next to me wearing only a towel.

Just a moment!

What happened here!?!

"Isn't this a nice bath-house, Nii?" She chitters happily.

A place with marble tiles, red curtains, a bed, and a large hot tub? Yeah... no matter how you look at this, Kiku, this... this is a love hotel.

"Violet recommended it; she said one of her friends run it?" Kiku says, innocently.

That bitch.

"Err... Kiku... I don't think this is a bath-house..."

Her big green eyes blink. And then she sticks out her tongue.

"Well shit... busted..." she snickers.

I sigh.

"Um... Nii... do you... not want to be with me here?" Her lip quivers.

I smile wistfully.

"You're really something, Kiku. You know that's unfair..."

She sticks out her tongue again.

"Um... then how are my feminine wiles, Nii?"

I kiss her deeply in response.

"Is that a good enough response?" I query.

She looks vacant for a moment after the kiss, then nods.

Then she stands up in the water, and throws off her towel.

Her toned and athletic body and modest chest is covered in rivulets of water, cascading down her in trickles.

"Um... Nii... there's something for you to eat, right here."

She smiles bashfully.

I almost leap at her.

"Ouch! Shit! Fuck! You asshat, Nii... Ugh... I'm so sore..."

Kiku is splayed out on the large bed this place has in addition to its tub, breathing heavily and drenched in sweat.

I'm lying next to her, brushing her hair with my hand gently as she pouts.

"Uuu... why did I want this again?" She moans.

"Um, Kiku… do you... not want to be with me here?" I copy her taunt from earlier.

"You're really something, Elijah. You know that's unfair..." she responds in kind, snorting.

We both burst into giggles.

"Aw man... shit... I'll never catch up with Kako like this... I've become such a slut." She laments.

"Maybe... but you're my slut." I pronounce, spooning her and continuing to brush her hair.

"Eh wot? It's bad to agree with a girl over something like that, Nii!" She pouts again.

She sighs.

"But... um... hehe... if the me of a few weeks ago were to have known that I would be like this, lying with a man in a brothel, I would've have thought myself gone mad."

She pauses for a moment.

"Um... you know what... I have still gone mad, haven't I?" She asserts, snickering. "All of us girls have. What have you done to us, Nii?"

"I wish I knew, Kiku. I really do. I'm as in the dark as you. I am honestly telling the truth when I say I have no idea why this happened. But I've decided that maybe it’s ok to be a bit selfish after all, and take all the things I want." I say.

We both lie in silence for a minute.

"Being selfish... is what being a mercenary is all about. Dad's first lesson. The number one rule. Me first. Job second. Others third. Being a hero only gets you in the dead book..." she sighs.

Probably wise in their line of work.

"Kako hated that lesson. I think that's why she became a knight. She wanted others to be first. She's way more noble than me, eh?"

She rolls around to face me.

"It’s funny, then, isn't it?" She grins.

"What is?" I ask.

"Being ~with~ a hero."

Oh, I see.

"I'm no hero." I shake my head.

"You're my hero." She smiles and blushes.

"I-If you s-say so." I stutter.

She chitters happily at my reaction. She's clearly enjoying herself. Damn, in some ways she really is partly resembling Seria... and I should probably be scared of that...

She pulls away from me, stands up, and does stretches, showing off her slender but muscular legs.

"Ahhh... this contract sucks. I should have read the small print. I'm stuck on a fucking hopeless mission to kill the lord of all demons with a man who still doesn't know the right end of a sword to hold."

I stand up and go over to her as she stretches, rubbing her shoulders.

"You can still opt out at any time, you know." I say, only half-serious.

Her head snaps round.

"Eh wot?! No way! I've already been paid in full, right?" She exclaims, hand touching her midriff. "I gotta see it to the end, now. Mercenary's honour." She grins, falling back into my arms again, and looking up at me.

"Um... besides, didn't you say no one else can have me now?" She narrows her eyes.

I kiss her again briefly.

"I'm a demanding employer, what can I say?" I chortle, licking my lips.

She rolls her eyes.

"More like a slave driver. I'm glad that our future battles will have that Veranian girl as well as Aria up front."

I sigh.

"Sometimes I do wonder whether I should have gone with the sword rather than explosives. It makes me feel bad that I'm sat back when you girls are fighting so hard." I lament.

"Hehe... you'd be run through in an instant, coming from your weird peace-loving place."

"Um... but... say... Nii... shall I teach you the sword?"

That's surprising coming from a girl that was so meek when I met her. She really has changed as well.

"Hehe... you can have one of my old ones. Seria can teach you magic, and me swords! We'll make a Bladesward out of you if we try!" She exclaims, jumping around naked.

"What's a Bladesward?" I ask.

"Eh wot? Ah right... someone who combines a moderate affinity for magic and blades. A hybrid. Hmmm... they usually have Earth or Metal spirits though. Kako is one!"

Oh right, a fighter-mage multiclass then. Sort of like Aria's Paladin, but more of an arcane bent.

"Well... I guess everything helps." I shrug, smiling wryly.

Kiku chitters happily.

I'm sure I've just blundered into another cunning trap. But let's see how it goes...
    -------
    Who's doing the eating here, Kiku? It's always the repressed ones. :)

5. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 98
    DOUBLE DATE

It's getting dark again now. We wander back to the Furious Stallion, Kiku holding my hand with her new swords over her back. She's actually rather subdued, rustling next to me in the now dried dress.

"Bleh! Shit! This dress still stinks of salt and is really stiff!" She exclaims to herself, disturbing her quiet introspection.

We had another quick bath after we slept together, but I guess the fabric on that dress was quite absorbent?

"Um... do you think the others will wonder why the date took nearly seven hours...?" She fidgets.

"I'd like to say no, but they certainly will." I grin.

"Fuck! Bollocks! Uh... damn... I went too far. Now I'm going to be interrogated. Shit!"

The troubles girls go through... uh... well that sounds hypocritical from me considering I'm the source of those troubles.

"Uh... sorry?" I apologise tentatively.

She blinks at me.

"Um... you're weird, Nii. I brought on myself... or rather... inside myself!" She cackles like Seria at her dirty joke.

"Oh well... here's the moment of truth." She whines as we cross the last street.

The place appears much less busy than usual, possibly due to the day.

We go inside.

The remainder of the girls, minus Kaede, is sat at the far corner.

But I think the strangest thing I have seen in a while is the fact that the vicious tabby cat, which Violet ominously calls 'Slicer', is lying on one of the tables nearest us, between us and the other girls, belly exposed and purring whilst being scratched by the tanned hand of one of two ladies there.

That cat can be sociable!? What the heck?

"Ah, the hero finally makes his appearance, then?"

My gaze shoots from the cat to one of the guys sat at the table. He puts down his stein of beer, and stands with a clank and rustle of chain.

I have hardly ever seen someone so covered in metal. Full plate and chain, and a large kite shield and sheathed saber lie propped against the table leg. He has close-cropped purple hair, purple eyes with a steely gaze, and hawkish nose, and looks about my actual age.

"Good evening, ser? How can I help you? Though... I'm not much of a hero."

"On the contrary. You and your girls defeated a Skull Beast. It's something us mercenaries dream of!" He guffaws.

Oh... so is this four the mercenaries Simon said he’d assemble? Wow, that guy works fast.

This appears to be a team of two guys and two girls.

He turns his gaze to Kiku, but it’s a kindly one.

"And you would be Kiku, right? However your muscle of a father cranked out such a cute thing is truly a mystery!"

"Um... you have me at a disadvantage... do you know dad?" She looks wary.

He grins, and salutes with an arm to his chest, banging his breastplate.

"Right, how rude of me! I am Fortinbras Organthe. I am the leader of this group of misfits."

"He's the only misfit, though." The paler of the two girls here comments.

"You wound me, Jeanette!" He cries theatrically.

He's quite a silly chap despite his imposing appearance.

This Jeanette has very curly long blonde hair, blue eyes, a tight white blouse accenting a modest chest, red skirts, and a flowing green cape. She seems snarky. She stands and clouts Fortinbras round the head.

"Stole my thunder, bastard! Ugh… Well anyway, I'm Jeanette, wind mage extraordinairre. I was trained personally by the Wind Sage, Faris!"

She nudges the other girl next to her.

"Esraye. Metal Bladesward." This one states, tersely, standing, bowing with a jiggle, and sitting again.

Oh, this is one of those hyrbrids that Kiku was talking about? This one is tanned like Kali, but with black hair done in a side-tail, radiant emerald eyes, and is dressed in a strangely fanservicey outfit, with bare shoulders and just a gothaloli type corset-dress barely holding up her big chest.

"She's my woman, by the way. You better not get cozy. I'm Darion Argenti, archer." The final guy stands as well.

"My little brother's a dickhead, don't worry about him! Gods know how he got Esraye to open her legs." Jeanette laughs.

He glares at her. He's obviously also blonde and blue eyed, much younger looking than Fortinbras, probably late teens. He's in a maroon noble doublet with a frilly scarf. His appearance reminds me of the rival of a certain objection-happy defence attorney. Except blonde, of course. His bow is on the table. It looks a short-bow, half the size of Kurono's enormous black metal thing.

"Boy, these four are the mercenaries that will be joining us in Sandy Shore." Seria remarks, sidling up to me and taking my other arm. Kiku is still holding the other, and puffs out her cheeks.

That confirms that, then.

I nod to the four.

"Thanks for your support. It's great you came so quickly." I say in a level tone.

Actually, it's mildly irritating. I guess that means we're off tomorrow morning. Well... I guess that depends on Kaede. But no more dates!

Though I should have guessed I wouldn't have six days. Alas.

"It's no problem. Us four cut our teeth on Sandy Shore. We know a good majority of its tricks. And we still visit now and then, when the S-rank jobs don't hold us back. We wanted to meet you before tomorrow, of course." Fortinbras explains.

"Teeth cutting painful. But some fun memories too..." Esraye comments with a wistful smile.

Kiku suddenly looks like she gained some respect for this group. Was it the mention of S-rank?

"Looks like you have plenty to learn from this man, Darion. He's tamed six girls! You're still stuck on one." Jeanette chortles.

Darion looks slightly scared.

I jump slightly and feel ill as Esraye cocks her head at him, touching his sleeve gently. That... that was my danger sense, right?

"Flirting. Careful." Esraye comments, with a gentle smile. He gulps.

Haha, he seems impetuous and controlling, but she totally has him on a lead, doesn't she?

"Err... ahem! I'm not in a rush... Esraye is... my jewel, of course! Ah... of course!" He panics.

Jeanette and Fortinbras laugh heartily together, patting each other’s shoulders and sharing a knowing glance.

It's less obvious, but they seem surprisingly affectionate as well. Their party is like a constant double date, eh?

Well, they seem like quite a colourful bunch to travel with. I wonder how this will turn out?

6. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 99
    SECRETS OF THE S’TAVI

I explained to the mercenaries that there was an issue with Kaede, but it seems they were already aware. Of course, with me taking a while with Kiku, Aria had already brought them up to speed.

So, I decided to bring forwards making some new explosives. Whilst I was shopping with Kiku I also bought some putty like substance called Hezzarine from an alchemist. It's used as tough waterproof grout for bricks normally, but my explosives sense highlighted it might be usable a basic base for HDX or something similar.

Such a thing wouldn't be too practicable in combat, but it could be used as a fixed explosive. I wonder how handy that would be, but better prepared than not, right? So, no harm in making it.

Kiku was, as she expected, swept away by the other girls to the back room, chittering in distress, where Seria had purchased a new staff table for Violet. I'd rather not imagine what she's going through, but let’s hope they go easy on the tools and spotlights.

So, I'm back in the bedroom, working with my alchemy supplies again. Fortunately, Rishya left her bag up here. Kaede is still laid out on the bed.

I'm not so much of a lout to take advantage of being alone with an unconscious doll though. Hug pillows aren't meant to be used that way. Uh... not that I'd use her as a hug pillow...

Besides, as per usual, this work is taking much of my attention.

As I watch the solution bubble, the door opens. I briefly peer back and see Kali wandering in, hands behind her head casually and whistling to herself.

"You're done already?" I ask, still focused on mixing.

"Hmmm... grilling swordsgirl not interest much to Kali isn't. Has many torturers." Kali grins.

Too many cooks spoil the broth, is it?

"Ah! I came at the time rightly! This be creation of fire in a bottle!?" She bounces over to me. "Can I be watching!?"

I blink in some surprise.

"Sure. Don't expect me to explain it all, though." I say.

"Is fine! Adds mystery. Perhaps in days ahead sense will come."

I continue to work, and she peers over my shoulder, apparently enthralled by the bubbles moving through the apparatus, and following them intently like a cat chasing a laser pointer.

She's a funny girl.

"How was the arena?" I query.

She grins, clapping her still gauntlet covered hands together in a clang.

"Ah! Muchly fun, Aniki! Third prize was my bounty!" She says.

"Third? Who did you lose to?" I ask in surprise.

She looks wistful, and puts her hand back behind her head, seemingly embarrassed.

"Ah... explaining toughness... Kali idiot, notice not traps, fell in water on semi-final. Haha, silly tortoise. Kali bad habit, never check sides... mother always punish in training. But anyway, disqualified. Much silly dumbness. Some regret, but fun still. Win them all cannot."

Oh? So, it was some kind of restricted size arena over water?

Bad imagination. Kali doing Gate of Bootylon is not what happened. Well... her clothes aren't far off a swimsuit though.

"Ahem, so, your martial art..." I change the subject to get my mind off girls wrestling in swimsuits.

"Meenaora?" Kali cocks her head.

"Yes, that. What does it involve?" I ask.

“Punching people.” She says, deadpan.

I blink at her and she snorts in laughter. I roll my eyes and snicker. I suppose I did ask for that one.

"Ahahaha… Mmm... well… speaking of this is..." she hesitates, finger to her chin.

"Oh, if it's a secret, then..." I say.

"Ah, mmm that not is... It just be... ah right! Silly Kali! I will speak about this in Saskar, Elijah. The words do not exist in Jezzathan. Is that ok?"

I guess she switched mid-sentence. I nod and she smiles.

"Ahem! My people, the S'tavi, long ago worshipped the Meenaora, the Bird of the Firikan Wastes. It is a very weird bird. It has powerful feet like Megarum, but it is twice the size, with claws as sharp as diamond. It preys on Basilisks and Giant Fork Scorpions, overwhelming them with agile attacks from its beak and talons. It also forages for Fire Berries, and stores them in its stomach by swallowing them whole. It then coughs them up to attack with what our ancestors thought was a flaming breath."

Wow... I imagine this as a kung-fu emu with a fire breath. Scary.

"So, the martial art is based on observing Meenaora?" I conclude.

"That... yes... but it is also a spiritual path. A way of living."

That's fairly standard for martial arts. But it must be quite a harsh path in this case, considering how slender and perfectly toned Kali is.

"Of course, humans cannot copy the birds in eating Fire Berries. Very painful, sets fire to innards, might kill you." She looks whimsical.

"So… you fill in that gap with... magic?" I postulate, whilst stopping the heat on one of the bottles.

"Yes. We can attune to the Wind and Fire spirits to achieve the Kasra, the six points of enlightenment. This, from what I have seen, is very different to how Eastern mages assemble magic. Rather than take a spirit inside, form a bond, and use mathematical form and gesture to invoke power, S'tavi arts make you mimic a spirit. Do so well enough, and you can use your own Vi-Kasra, your life, to create similar magical outbursts."

She stops, and drinks a glass of water she pours from a pitcher we have in the room, sitting on the empty bed whilst stretching.

When she does that, it strains her modest chest against her body bandages. It's pretty distracting.

"Much explaining. Kali not teacher so gaps many; but jist there, correctness?" She apparently switches her language back.

"Hmm... that's very interesting, Kali. Thanks for..."

I suddenly feel a danger spike.

Kali leaps up in shock to rush towards me, but stops. And it's quickly apparent why. A wakizashi is to my throat.

"Stop. This one will die if you come closer, yes?"

Um... I don't understand. What? Why is Kaede threatening to kill me?
    ----------
    Well that's a thing... Meenaora involves punching people! Who would have thought!?
    And Kaede... did you really lose your memory...? (sigh)

7. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE KA3
    REMEMBER ME?

Was I taken prisoner? I failed? Some magic? Whatever happened?

I bring my blade closer to the weak man's throat. It was probably this dangerous Veranian girl that knocked me out. But they were careless, not restraining me.

"Err... Kaede, I am sorry if you're mad, but surely we can talk about this?" My audacious prisoner talks.

What is he on about?! How does he know my name!?

"I do not know who you are, but you will both stay very still, yes?" I almost growl.

Strangely, the man sighs, as if depressed, rather than scared. The girl looks surprised.

"I'm moving not Kae-chan. Sword please away stash. Much foolishness. Head of yours broken. Calming down!" The girl says, her Jezzathan rather odd.

Whatever is she on about? These people must have somehow tricked me. I need to escape.

I yank the man over to the window. For some reason, my head aches and my body feels strange, being close to this man. I hate it.

What is going on?

Suddenly, the door bursts open, and a silver haired girl holding a black steel spear appears.

"Elijah! Are you...!"

"Kaede, what in Sendervil's name are doing!?" She shouts.

Why!? More reinforcements? How do they know? I barely made a sound? I never said my name! This... I need to...

I throw the man forwards, and backflip out the window, catching the nearby roof, bounding away.

I jump and jump and jump without thinking. Thinking is dangerous. Escape!

Eventually, I stop to catch my breath. My blood is pumping furiously, but I appear to have evaded pursuit.

Where am I?

White towers? This... isn't this Hal-Castemour? How did I end up here? My last job was the capital.

What day is it? It's dark out now. It was light the last I remember.

My head hurts. I can't think.

I seem to have subconsciously gravitated to the slums. To an abandoned clock or bell tower of some description.

A low place for a low person.

I snicker to myself.

But then I sigh. I'm still no closer to figuring anything out at all.

Who was I sent to kill?

No... let's start with more basic information.

Yes... I am certainly Kaede Murasaki.

I am a thirteen-year old girl this year.

I am an assassin of the village of Murasaki. A ninja. A professional killer trained by Jubei Murasaki.

I have suffered some degree of memory loss. So... trauma.

I strip myself down to nakedness, and check myself over.

My body is slender and in fine condition. In fact, if anything, I am more fit than I recall. Well-fed. I have apparently started a growth spurt in several places. I suppose it was inevitable.

No bruises. Or crusted blood. My head is fine.

Not physical trauma, then.

So, it confirms something of a magical nature?

But something just isn't right. Why capture me and not interrogate me? Not restrain me? Nothing.

It suggests the only sensible thing, is that I was there of my own free will.

The fact they appeared to know me. That I had clearly given my name.

Magical control... like a puppet?

A terrifying concept. But wrong. It is not something the spirits do. There is no such jutsu either. No nothing.

So... I have committed an error then.

For some reason, insane as it may be, I have snubbed some people who were comrades.

I am shaking. Right... it is rather cold. I start to re-dress.

And then, because of my shivers, I drop one of my stashes of weapons that I normally secure to my midriff.

A few kunai drop out. And something else.

What is this?

A vial with white powder. Yivenbark scrapings? Why would I carry...

Nii-sama.

What!?

I drop the vial and recoil from it, slamming up against the wall, still only in my underwear and socks.

It tings, and rolls away. I watch it like it may attack me any second.

It rolls to a stop next to a large patch of dried blood.

I look up. This was a serious arc of blood. A bisection or beheading?

I did that.

Oh gods. Why here!? Why did I come here of all places?!?

I crouch into a foetal position and start to cry furiously, the warm tears pouring down my bare chest and knees.

Nii-sama. The girls. The demon woman I killed. The budding love I felt. The destroyed village. Master Jubei's body. The assassination of Marcus Hampton. The day I left.

A blade cannot choose to save the life of another.

It all comes back. It was actually never gone.

I start to squirm. Feeling hot from a blush and feverish.

He wanted me. He wanted me as a lover. And even though I would need to share, I still wanted him.

But it made me sick. I started to think like a normal, idiotic, lovestruck girl.

And suddenly all the dead came back to me at once. I couldn't take it.

So back I went, to over three months ago.

I sit and continue to cry, half-naked in the night.
    -------
    Well that amnesia didn't last long... :D

But actually, despite fiction loving it, long-term retrograde amnesia is actually really rare; you can try to force-forget due to trauma, but unless it involved actual brain-damage, pretty much any trigger can blow the lock on that stuff wide open again. Which is exactly what happened to Kaede here as soon as she saw the vial.

8. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 100
    BREAKING ALL THE TOYS

"Elijah... Kali... what happened exactly?" Aria queries.

"I honestly don't know." I shake my head.

"Please stay still, Elijah-sama!" Rishya rebukes me. She is dabbing my neck with an alcohol swab, since the Wakizashi left a cut there. It stings a bit.

We are now sat downstairs at the new staff table again. Kiku is splayed out, swirly eyed at the far end. I suppose at least we can thank this event for ending her interrogation early.

"Kaede was sort of... kinda scary when she passed out, Aria." Rishya says, now rolling a bandage round my neck.

"Mmm... 'tis not really her fault. I believe that for many years, her mind was built to function a specific way. She had cut off her empathy by merit of her profession."

"And so... suddenly, those pathways in her head were cleared, Seria-sama?" Rishya adds.

Seria nods, folding her arms across her neck chain with a clink.

"And it is as clear as a stormless day that the boy's incessant prodding of girls’ weak points has caused her to unravel at the seams, something we are all conscious of... fufufu..."

I gulp as my danger sense spikes from all of the girls glaring at me simultaneously.

Aria sighs.

"Onii-chan..." she says sweetly. I feel scared. "Would you kindly stop breaking girls... and breaking girls in...?"

Seria cackles to herself.

Speaking of breaking, it's clear Kiku quickly broke under interrogation given Aria's implied threat just now. Yikes, these girls work fast.

"I don't think I can change what I am?" I say earnestly.

Aria rolls her eyes.

"Hah... I suppose I wouldn't like that anyway..."

She puts a finger to her temple and sighs.

"Should chase be laid for Kae-chan?" Kali tilts her head and asks.

"I don't think any of us could put up a sufficient search for her if she truly wants to evade pursuit." I say.

"But we can't wait for her return, boy. Mmm... indeed we don't even know if she will return given what has occurred." Seria flicks a twin-tail.

I swallow. It sounds heartless, but it’s true... Seria is just being pragmatic. Part of me wonders if the girls are glad to down a rival. I guess that's a possibility. But I suppose they can't be blamed if so.

"The mind is such an uncertain place, Elijah-sama." Rishya nods knowingly.

"Yours especially so, Rish." Aria quips.

Rishya smiles bashfully and whispers "don't I know it..." under her breath.

Huh... she's surprisingly accepting of that. Aria is surprised as well, she was obviously expecting a rise out of her.

But anyway... what do we do about Kaede?

What is there ~to~ do?

'But the cat came back, the very next day...' starts to play in my head.

Yeah, basically, the best thing I can hope for is that she returns on her own. I've come to miss her silent presence already.

I lament the fact I can't do more, but I guess we can't let my training grind to a halt with the time limit looming on me. Not to mention its likely important to investigate the deeper parts of the dungeon.

I rub my temple and grimace.

"I guess we'll have to go on tomorrow morning. We've already had too much time doing nothing. It's annoying and frustrating, but..."

Aria takes my hand.

"I know, Onii-chan. As much as it doubtless rankles our noses to a degree, we know you care for all of us." Aria smiles wistfully, looking resigned.

"What would Elijah-sama be if not a pervert free with his affections?" Rishya laughs behind a hand.

"Just a stubborn blind boy, clinging to life. Mmm... the struggle is rather adorable, though." Seria snickers.

"Is not vision, kindness, easy to approachness, acceptance of strange things? Aniki is actually things many. But trueness... mostly pervert."

"No! Nii, don't put that there!!" Kiku suddenly jumps up from her dazed stupor with unfortunately hilarious timing.

Everyone guffaws in laughter and Kiku looks embarrassed.

"W-what am saying!? Ah... Nii's here as well... uguu... how embarrassing..." she laments, cradling her face in her hands.

Well... despite the abuse being a constant, personally I'm happy that the air is still clear with the girls. It would be the worst if our party cohesion took a dive just because of me being unable to keep it in my trousers.

"Are we ready to go for tomorrow?" I ask the girls.

"We're always ready, Onii-chan." Aria nods.

"Mmm... is your explosive done, Elijah?" Seria asks.

"Ah right, yes." I nod.

The fixed explosive was fortunately mostly done just before Kaede threatened me. I just need to stick the putty in some kind of receptacle, and give it a blasting cap. This one will be the first thing that uses my Thunder Spirit as a detonation assist. I'll need to find a length of wire from somewhere, though.

I still wonder if it will actually be useful.

I guess, with the solid base, I can use it as plastique. Perhaps there will be need to blow down a large stone door there or something.

I still have an inventory of fifteen vials as well. I should be good.

"Then, shall we not get an early night?" Seria nods.

After sleep, let's get back to the dungeon!
    ---------
    Chapter 100!!! Applause Please (technically its chapter 130 with the sides though, lol).

9. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE AA2
    LOVE AMBUSHES US ALL

I can't believe myself.

Here I am, swinging my spear in the yard in the morning sun.

I don't normally take this so seriously, and do it so furiously. Whatever is wrong with me?

Master Sigmund's voice rebukes me in my head. I'm getting sloppy with my moves, so I start again, as he would have made me.

He was the royal arms instructor, a veteran of nearly a hundred battles. A distant uncle of the family.

Parytyn spear is actually an exotic art. It is very different to the standard spearmanship taught to troops. In that, phalanx is critical. Tempered thrusts, trust in your compatriot, lockstep advance.

But Parytyn... it mimics flighty wind spirits. It is almost a dance, with the spear as your partner.

Some people think spears are only for thrusting, poking, but nothing is further from the truth. You have a long blade on a pole. Momentum and circular motions, sweeps in wide arcs, these give you dangerous reach that can blow troops away in droves, not to mention monsters.

Move like the wind. Smash like the tide.

And with my power, the wind becomes a gale, the tide a tsunami.

I originally started with the sword. It is traditional for a noble. But with my strength, snapping blades was inevitable. Even when I was seven, I could punch the head clean off a training dummy, and barely feel the pain.

The Blessing of Sendervil fills you with vital power. His light heals, enhances. So… when it is always with you, you are literally always the picture of health and strength. A deep breath fills you with power, and expelling it as I swing... well... wood can be crushed, iron bent, stones cracked.

Although, I thought it had hit a plateau when I was eleven. Apparently not. It's scary if what Elijah says is true, that it doubles again when I'm protecting him. If that’s the case, it's little wonder that even a squeeze can send cracks along a demons’ skull, and a makeshift javelin can cleanly pierce a leg bone.

The funny thing is... with my vitality... I could have slept with Elijah for hours on end. That's a use of a Blessing I never thought would be a thing.

I grin to myself, and mess up my kata again.

Ah... I see. It's thinking about him constantly that's messing up my moves.

For goodness sake. What a daft swooning maiden I've become.

I don't even seem to care that he's slept with Kiku now as well. As long as I can also have him from time to time. In fact, it would probably be beneficial for Rishya to get some. She's really uptight these days after saving his life. She's fallen so far, just as I predicted.

I snicker to myself, setting my spear down with a clang. This spear was made especially for me. Black Iron. Six Klecksels long, and it weighs nearly fifty Kilsels, as much as three Warhammers. Not very sharp, but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to not break.

I ruffle my nose. I'm drenched in sweat again, and my muscles are screaming. I sigh and roll my eyes to myself, because it’s the same feeling I got after my intense bout of sex with him. It's a good feeling.

I grin to myself. I guess the thrill... the feeling of power and authority one feels when strongly throwing oneself into a battle and winning, is not too dissimilar to the feel of a man.

"Truly a tempest. Is that Parytyn?" A man’s gruff voice snaps me from my reverie.

I look up and see the armoured mercenary from yesterday, the one with purple hair.

"Ser Fortinbras." I nod and curtsy very slightly.

"Your majesty." He returns, bowing deeply. "I apologise for eavesdropping." He says, and hands me a cloth.

I shrug, and dab away my sweat.

"Thankyou. And don't worry about it. You don't have to be formal with me, I said this yesterday."

"That will not do. I was once a royal knight, after all." He shakes his head.

"If you say so. Did you leave for Jeanette?" I ask.

He snickers to himself.

"Ah... you see right through me, your majesty. Hmm... it must have been when you were nary a babe. A fellow knight of mine, and best friend, Ferlin Argenti, died in service. It left his two children, at the time six and three, all alone." He sighs.

"So, you adopted them." I say.

He nods.

"For me to then take Jeanette as my lover last year... I do wonder where I went wrong. She practically forced herself on me. And yet... I love her intensely, despite that. So foolish." He shakes his head.

"We all are, when it comes to love. It ambushes us all." I smile wryly.

He blinks in surprise.

"I apologise for my casual glibness, your majesty."

"It's fine." I shake my head.

"Ahem! The others have gone inside already. Do you know when we plan to leave?"

"Give it an hour, I would say. I would like to bathe quickly." I say.

"As you will." He bangs his chest-plate in salute.

"I look forward to your expertise, ser." I nod.

"I shall try to not disappoint, your majesty." He says. I beckon, letting him go, and he leaves.

Hah... I wonder if we'll make it in time. I bet father is concerned over the loss of the fortress. I wonder how everyone is doing.

Well... I must do all I can to help Elijah become strong. He is my hope, everyone's hope, and I'm still not sure if he appreciates that.

But for now, let me just bathe, eh?
    ------
    Aria has limitless endurance. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 101
    THE POWER OF SAUSAGE

"Here you go, boy, the wire you requested." Violet says as she hands me a length of copper in a roll.

I look up from my eggs benedict that Kiku made and blink. Where did she get this?

"Hehe... my husband, bless his soul, was a crossbow fletcher. This crap was in a chest in the basement. Take it, not like I need it."

"Thanks." I say. "For everything... in fact."

She squints and scowls.

"Don't get mushy on me, boy. Sometimes you need a blade through the gut to wake you up. Consider it part of your free customer service."

She cackles, rubbing her hands, and shuffles off, clacking her cane and still pretending to be infirm.

"Ugh... that woman has no idea just how much trouble a blade to gut implies!" Rishya pouts.

I ruffle her head.

"Elijah-sama?" She looks puzzled.

"It must have been tough, Rishya. I'm sure you feel like no one appreciates you from time to time. It's part and parcel of being the healer, right?"

"Mn, mn!" She nods furiously. "You really understand me sometimes, Elijah-sama." She smirks, steepling her fingers.

Well, it's more that this is the standard in MMO's and MOBA's, isn't it? I used to play support so I know it’s a thankless job.

"Well, I appreciate you, Rishya." I pat her head again.

"Eh? O-of course you do. I... It's not like flattery will get you anywhere! Hmmph!"

I laugh to myself at seeing her regress to being tsundere when flustered. She blushes and looks away.

Seria is looking under her spectacles at the other end of the table at this exchange, faintly grinning to herself, attention of her book lost.

Aria and Kiku decided to go and have a bath together. Kali is intensely stuffing her face with eggs, toast and sausage, and doesn't seem to have much attention for anything else.

"Will you still be able to fight with that much food in you, Kali?" I ask, bemused.

"Eh?" She finishes inhaling a sausage, and then she looks thoughtful. "When know not good food next appear, eat. Is rule of desert."

Very sensible rule, I guess.

She belches delightfully.

"Kali does love desert much. But food of Jeraldine better so much. Happy to be traveller for alone this!" She grins.

I roll my eyes. I can totally see her going on a foodie tour.

"Why, what did you eat at home?" I ask.

"Mushrooms... so much mushrooms..." She gets a distant, haunted look in her eyes and shivers.

That must be alot of mushrooms.

"Occasionally Fork Scorpion Meat. Black bread. Everything tough in desert. Like people, Kali supposes."

"Mmm, perhaps mission future of Kali... bring sausage to desert! Glorious muchly!"

All of us burst into laughter.

"Sausage brilliant! What all growing girls needs muchly!" She exclaims.

I can't stop laughing, though Rishya stops and goes bright red at the innuendo. Kali seems entirely aware of what she has just said and is snickering.

"What's the joke, guys?"

Aria and Kiku reappear, with damp hair.

"See?!" Kali continues. "These ones are positively shining! Miracles of sausage!"

I can't stop, and Kali is howling as well. Seria is also banging the table. Even Rishya starts snickering again.

Aria and Kiku gain a flat look as they glance at each other.

"Um... I think we missed something, Aria." Kiku says.

I dab a tear out of my eye.

"Ah... thanks, Kali. I haven't laughed like that in a while." I say.

"Pleasure mine." She grins.

"Err... well if you're done, are we all ready?" Aria asks.

I nod. I quickly shovel the rest of my breakfast down, and stand up with everyone.

"Nii... um... I promised you should take this, right?" Kiku comes up to me, handing me one of her old swords in a sheath. The new ones are sheathed over her back, but she still has two other old ones at her waist as well, making her clink a lot when she walks.

"This child was... um... my favourite. It’s the best one." She grins.

"Thanks, Kiku." I say. "I'll hold onto it if that's what you want. But at the moment I don't know the right end to hold, do I?" I grin.

"We will fix that eventually, Nii." She smiles.

"Ah, right... is what she said about you trying to be a Bladesward correct, boy?" Seria sidles up to me.

"Do you not like the idea?" I say.

"Mmmm... I would say 'too much, too soon', but most don't have that peculiar power... so... perhaps it is for the best."

She glares.

"Do not start to think this will excuse you from studies, however!" She growls.

"Y-yes master!" I yelp.

Everyone laughs.

Grabbing all of our stuff, we go outside.

The four mercenaries are waiting for us, so we get going straight away.

I look back briefly at The Furious Stallion. It's certainly been the centre of a whirlwind of events, but let’s face it, when has there actually been a moment out of a storm since I got here?

I suppose Violet considered giving me the wire as her goodbye. But I'm sure we'll eventually be back.

When this world is safe, at the very least.

I will make it safe. For these girls I have come to love.

11. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE R3
    I’M NOT A TSUNDERE, BAA-KAA!!

//Rishya//Happiness//Great//

Huh... I suppose I am skipping along happily, aren't I, Michael? I wonder why?

//Flattery//Man//Love//Acceptance//

I stop.

Good lord Sendervil! Surely it isn't just that?

//Rishya//Understanding//Great//

Ugh! Do be quiet! You're saying I'm that simple a girl again!?

'Well, I appreciate you, Rishya.' Echoes in my head.

Gah! Why do you have to be right!? Curses on high! A little bit of flattery shouldn't find any purchase here!

Is this how he got Aria to fall so hard? Kiku? Unbelievable.

Why am I so conscious of this...?

Right... of course... I had to listen to Aria prattle on about her sexual woes yesterday!

W-what does she think I was going to be able to say!? I basically had to nod and grin and say 'uh huh' the entire time.

You know... I think she might have actually been boasting. She just disguised it as complaint and insidiously used it to plant this seed in my head.

All these girls are mad! Even Kali was constantly going on about it this morning!

"Ahhh!!" I involuntarily shout, ruffling my hair.

My sudden outburst causes a few looks.

"See... even Rish-chan needs sausage!" Kali exclaims, banging my shoulder.

"S-s-shut up!" I cry. "I don't!"

Something is slammed into my open mouth.

Mmmph!

I chew on the salty and meaty thing and swallow and my stomach gurgles. How embarrassing.

She was concealing an actual sausage!? What the hell?!

"Kali thinked as much. Rish-chan not eat fried breakfast, so brain fried insteads! Eating critical!" She nods knowingly.

"I... you noticed I was too nervous to eat, huh? H-how embarrassing... you... you're actually a kind gi..."

"Is practice swallowing for Elijah sausage too!" She laughs and starts running away.

"W-what!? Oi! You! Damn it all!"

I run after her, shaking my fist. But she's way too quick. Ugh.

A laugh resounds among the group.

I then realise I was acting like a child in front of Elijah and these new people and feel embarrassed.

Ah... I want to crawl in a hole now.

//Rishya//Humiliation//Great//

Yes... thankyou for rubbing it in again, Michael. I hate you sometimes.

//Rishya//Love//Instability//Great//

You should be used to me by now. I sigh.

"Uh, Rish... are you okay?" Aria comes up to me.

I give a wistful grin to her.

"Sure! Never better!" I fib.

"Please. Don't lie so much. I've never seen you so remorseful." She rolls her eyes.

"I... I made a fool of myself..." I groan under my breath.

Aria grasps me in a hug.

"Are you still thinking of your mothers’ rules of being a lady? You're an idiot." She grins.

"Takes one to know one." I insult her casually, but regret it immediately.

She snorts.

"Yup, I'm an idiot... look, Rish, I know you truly miss your parents. I know that stupid little piece of paper is one of the few things you have from her. But it’s not even like your mother followed those rules. Rhiannon was a mage from the Martrew branch family. Didn't your grandfather say so?"

I sigh again, pulling away from her hug and tapping the ground with my toe.

"But Yuuzu managed it so well... and she even had a different mother!" I exclaim. "But me... I can't be mature. I'm always so contrary! I can't be honest at all!"

"You know... I think Elijah likes that about you..." she snickers.

"W-what?!?" I almost jump at her.

"Of course, you dumbass! What are you worrying your tights off over?" She pokes me in the forehead.

"I love you forever. You saved my life so many times. And you saved him from certain death. You're so pretty as well." She nods.

"But I've got a fat face, messy hair, and weird red eyes from dad. You're like a work of art, on the other hand."

"Hah... you're jealous... of me? That's rich coming from a girl with nearly C-cups, and such a petite hourglass to die for. I'm all lanky and muscly!"

"I think you're both beautiful." Elijah suddenly appears.

I almost backflip away from him.

"You! You were listening?!" I shout.

"Rishya, I made him listen. You were so distracted you didn't notice..." Aria grins.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

I try to run away again, tears forming in my eyes, but I stumble like I'm being drunk again, and I'm caught.

I squirm and kick Elijah's foot to try and make him let go, but he won't.

I get kissed again.

I'm such a stupid girl. That's twice he's stolen my lips now! But I can only feel joyous. Moron.

"Rishya. You are beautiful. I'm a lout that doesn't know how to do anything but kiss girls, but I know at least that much."

"I hate you so much, Elijah-sama! Hate you hate you hate you. Hate!" I mutter like a curse.

And then, drool coming from my mouth, I jump up, slam myself up against him, wrap my legs around him, and attempt to kiss him like I saw Seria-sama do.

I shudder and feel light headed as he takes my tongue in his. Power surges through my body. I feel hot and flushed and feverish and my heart is roaring in sinister joy.

//Rishya//Power//Great//Completion//Soon//

Shut up Michael.

I let Elijah’s face go and feel light headed. He strokes my hair.

"I hate you so much, ser. Please take care of me in the future." I whisper.

I grin at him, and he grins back.

What a stupid girl I am.

But... I don't care.

I love him love him love him love him love him want him need him so totally stupid how will ever so dumb but love him love him love him will always be there.
    ------
    How to turn your tsundere yandere in three easy steps.

ChrisTheAwesome0 likes this.
  12. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 102
    SANDY SHORE RE-RUNS

Phew... I didn't expect that from Rishya. It was rather stimulating.

After seeing Kali pull a concealed sausage out of no-where and shove it down Rishya's open mouth, I think everyone couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if that girl learnt some tricks from Kurono?

It seems I wasn't the only one conscious of the fact that Rishya was mostly just pushing around her food recently.

Aria said she was suddenly concerned about getting fat which I thought was ridiculous, considering her smooth midriff, petite figure, and stunning curves.

I tried something to alleviate that this morning, but perhaps that just increased the problem?

She seemed happy but simultaneously terrified quite a lot.

So… Aria hatched this impromptu plan. She really cares about her best friend.

But having Rishya copy Seria's action, that I didn't expect, for sure.

We crest the ridge towards Sandy Shore temple, giving us a view over the blue lagoon in the morning light.

Set up on the few islands below, is a tent encampment, different to before.

Some adventurers are milling around.

"This is the clean-up crew. I believe that by now they should have now burnt all the bodies. Having them be consumed by the void is not ideal. That would give excess strength to the dungeon." Fortinbras comes up to me.

Right. I think Simon said something about that. Yes... all the floating zombies that I exploded are gone as well.

"They don't get buried?" I query.

Fortinbras raises an eyebrow.

"On the site of a Void manifestation? That would be asking for a rise in the undead. Even a staunch believer of Trieze would understand this. Burning them sends them to Saulm, where they can be reborn."

"Of course, sorry." I apologise.

He nods with a grunt.

"You truly are a man from another world, huh?" He whispers as he moves off.

You know what, I don't think I've ever spotted a graveyard here. I guess, with Saulm's popularity, as the goddess of creation and rebirth, cremation is very likely the norm for this world. Even mausoleums like this temple are built to contain cruxes of Void, rather than store bodies.

We head on down to the lagoon.

In the morning light, the blue seems quite serene, despite being disturbed by ripples every so often.

A short orange haired woman in a dark leather getup comes out of the tents. She very much seems like a rogue-type, with a black head-scarf and side-rapier.

"Ah! Ser Fortinbras! You arrived!" She practically coos, dashing over.

"I'm here as well, Carys." Says Jeanette, deadpan.

Carys goes 'tch' as Jeanette wanders up next to him.

Huh... interesting. However, this Carys takes on a stoic, business-like face.

"The dungeon's upper level is cleared, ser. The layout is still unchanged."

"Confirmed deaths?" He says.

"Twenty-nine. The Lightning Bruisers, Actual Gravitas, The Griffin Guards, Rex's Wanderers, and five independents are confirmed all dead." She counts them off.

"Hah... we lost some good people, then. Send a runner to Selene with the effects." Fortinbras taps his upraised visor.

She nods. "Already done. Report to the guild-master with them too. We were about to start packing up."

"Good job. Go get your contract award, you deserve it for a macabre job like this." He nods.

"Ah... the boys will appreciate that... but I'll be all alone, thinking of you." She moans.

"Ahem... that is no longer appropriate, Carys." He sighs.

"Yah, get lost and wallow. No one likes a clingy bitch." Jeanette swears.

As usual my thunder spirit wants to illustrate the atmosphere between the two women. But then Carys snorts, salutes Fortinbras, and wanders off, shouting to the others around to get everything packed away.

Jeanette appears to puff out her chest in pride and struts off to torment her little brother, causing Fortinbras to sigh heavily again.

"I am sorry you had to see that." He turns around to apologise.

"No ser, don't worry about it." I say.

"The boy was the centre of a far greater maelstrom quite recently." Seria laughs, wandering up to my side. "It is fortuitous that we have all decided to share, however. Are we not magnanimous, E-li-jah?" She reaches up and touches my face, lilting musically.

"Err... quite so, Seria." I gulp, feeling glares on me again.

"Fufufufu... it’s fun how easy this boy is to rattle, isn't it, ladies?" She looks over her shoulder, smirking.

There is joint laughter.

"His innocent adorableness just drives us mad, so we have come to terms with each other despite everything." She continues.

Hah... sometimes I wonder just what I was thinking.

"Strange. What a peculiar thing." Esraye comments.

They all laugh wryly again.

"Don't I know it..." Aria moans, giggling.

Darion looks mildly snooty as he starts walking off, ignoring his sister prattling on about her victory. Esraye shrugs to Fortinbras and he sighs again.

"Well then, should we proceed?"

"Indeed." I nod.

ChrisTheAwesome0 likes this.
  13. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 103
    S IS FOR SUPER

We return to the first room with the Necrofire, and with barely time to breath, two Skeleton knights leap out the flames in a sudden attack, both dual-wielding hand axes.

"The twins again!" Jeanette shouts.

Kiku draws her swords, but in a surge, Fortinbras flies past her and intercepts the two before they get far, his kite shield smashing one of the massive knights backwards with a clang.

The other looks about to slam into his side, but then, three arrows smack into it, and then a roaring wave of honest to goodness shining liquid quicksilver crashes into it, forming suddenly into Esraye's shape, scythe already swinging, with which she splits the things skull in half in an explosion of blue liquid. It topples in a pile of bones.

Then, before the shield-bashed one can stop staggering, it seems to systematically split straight up the middle in a roaring crack noise. My hair and clothes suddenly billow, and I squint, as if all the air suddenly rushed in that direction. The bones and another blue spurt all explode upwards like a macabre fountain.

Holy gods.

Fortinbras didn't even draw his sword.

I look back and the girls all seem gobsmacked as well. They've just prepared to fight and it’s over.

Seria closes her fist in a gesture, and the magic circle around her shatters. She looks up to Jeanette, whose circle has just faded, and whose long blonde curls are billowing.

"Fufufu... Impressive, girl. A Vacuum Slash? I still truly envy how quick and obedient Wind Spirits are."

Jeanette's hair settles and she shrugs. "Master Faris did always say they're quick to come, but equally quick to leave. It is good for fast attacks, for sure, but in a sustained battle, it is nigh impossible to hold their interest. Holding on to them is extremely draining." She sighs.

"Wind spirits live life in the fast lane." I chortle.

Seria rolls her eyes.

"You must get used to the boy's pointless anecdotes. What does that even mean?" She cocks her head.

Kiku is frozen in a strange pose and starts chittering to herself whilst blinking and holding both her swords out. Kali also looks rather distressed.

"Are you two ok?" I question.

"Um... I... still have a way to go." She sighs.

"Hah! Stronger always someone. Mother correctness." Kali grins.

I rub both of their heads in consolation.

"This... I did wonder why you four didn't have a Cleric, Fortinbras-sama. I imagine they would feel quite useless..." Rishya comments.

He clanks back over.

"We did, at one point, a few years back, when I was the only S-rank babysitting these three, an old and dignified gent who was my friend." He grins. "But yes, Manato felt his talents would be better served teaching new clerics."

"Master Manato!? He was...!? He taught me and Yuuzu!" Rishya jumps.

"Mm, I thought so. The way you hold a staff is very much like his method." He smiles. "Honestly, though, whilst we specialise in fast strikes, there are times when I truly regret not having his enchantments and barriers."

"Err... you mentioned 'the twins' before, right?" I query Jeanette.

She blinks.

"Hah... yep. It's hard to see it when you've not come as often as us, but each skeleton here is a bit of an acquaintance to us, I guess. Like annoying relatives you can't get rid of." She laughs.

"Hmmm? So, they are the same souls, eternally resurrected here? I wasn't aware of that." Seria says.

"Many troubles some gave us. Cutting teeth ever painful." Esraye sighs wistfully.

"In any case, we should proceed. Our destination is the chasm beyond the rest area."

"Ugh... why does it have to be so far from the entrance in this layout?" Darion moans.

"Oh… stop whining, you baby." Jeanette cusses him, and he sulks.

We carry on moving, passing through several other places we remember from before.

"The void as a whole seems less oppressive now, does it not, Seria-sama?" Rishya comments.

"I doubtless say it was the influence of the Skull Beast." Seria says. "But whilst it is no longer directly snuffing your light, it is still higher than I would expect... mn..." she ponders.

"That is what we are here to investigate, is it not?" Aria says.

"Quite so, Princess, fufufu..."

"It's a shame Yuuzu and Kurono couldn't come." Rishya laments.

"This moment Kali's replacement surely they be looking for. But Kali understands." Kali adds.

"I imagine they will at least have an easier time, with their rank upgrade." Aria adds.

"Very much so's! Everyone realises surely that Yuuzu's more than beauty!" Kali nods.

"Hah... yeah, I guess she'll be fine. Well... maybe Yuuzu will even find a man she likes, hee-hee." Rishya giggles.

"Not if Kurono can help it." I snicker. Kali and Aria laugh as well, but Rishya goes wide-eyed and gapes as if she has just realised something shocking.

Sometimes she can be adorably slow when it comes to realising innuendo. It’s quite endearing how pure she is.

We reach what used to be the rest stop without further incident. The place is still covered in splatters of dried blood, but at least it’s no longer a slaughterhouse. I don't envy the jobs of that clean-up team, for sure.

"Are we going single-file down the rope again?" I ask.

"Nope. Ha! This big brute would snap it. It's what I'm really here for." Jeanette comments, going over to the ledge.

She glows blue for a second, magic symbols rushing around her, and with a roar of air, shimmering translucent stairs appear, apparently made out of densely packed wind. How does that even work?

I guess this kind of thing will also be our ticket to the lower levels, right?

The depths await...

14. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE ESKA
    BLOOD TIES

Nii-sama.

I sneak behind the ten others, invisible with the power of the Murasaki Kagami, and carefully muffling my footfalls and other traces of my activity. The lagoon was a unique challenge. The milling adventurer clean-up crew helped though. Their sloshing helped conceal my own, and I was able to swipe extra rations.

Why am I staying hidden?

It is for the best this way, I assure myself for the umpteenth time.

Much like when I initially showed interest in the group when there was just a trio, I should remain a hidden asset.

If Nii-sama needs protection, I shall be there. But until then...

I barely restrain a sigh.

Whatever is wrong with me?

They turn a corner in the distance, so I make haste to catch up.

"Who are you? Following why?" Suddenly greets me as I turn the corner. What!?

It's the metal bladesward girl. The one who staggers her sentences strangely. She is looking straight at where my shoulder is. She can't actually see me.

The others have moved on, leaving her here. Surely, it's just a coincidence.

"Can't see you. But the children on you speak to me. Stop hiding, if you are not threat."

Curses. Of course, I am carrying plenty of metal things. Needles, Darts, Kunai... some are bound to have metal spirits...

Well... this is unfortunate, I was careless.

I dispel the Murasaki Kagami.

"Ah. You are girl ninja."

"You know me?" I ask.

"Perhaps not aware. When you slept, all us saw you. Princess showed. So, you have recovered... from madness?"

I feel ashamed.

I can still hardly believe I threatened Nii-sama and Kali.

"Face honest like metal. Why not apologise? You are remorseful." She says, cocking her head.

"I cannot, yes."

"Reason?" She asks.

I hesitate.

"Because you are... afraid of love. Because you liked to think of yourself... as a weapon." She decides for me.

I nearly jump. How does...?!

"Hehe. You surprisingly like me. I too once a weapon. A rebellion. I was stabbed. But survived... And stabbed back... I killed a lot." She sighs.

I'm shocked. A rebellion? This girl is from... Aarotir, then? She escaped the bloodbath ten years ago? That would explain her tan, and her soft voice, and the time frame works.

She holds her scythe over her shoulder, and runs her hand through her side-tail with her spare hand, giving me an expectant gaze with her stunning green eyes. I wonder what she wants from me...

"H-how do you... how do you forget all the faces...?" Spills from my mouth. Again, it seems, my curiosity cannot be restrained.

She looks angry.

"You do not." She says, deadpan.

I sigh. What was I expecting?

"And you should not."

That I expected less...

"Those you killed. They died to support you. In some ways, they have become... your family."

That... that’s an odd way of putting it.

"But... unlike yourself... I was made to kill... paid to kill... it was my duty, yes?" I sigh again.

She chews her lip, turns, hoists her scythe up and carries on walking, beckoning me to follow with her spare hand. The footsteps of the others... are indeed some distance ahead, so I oblige, like a good little girl.

"Nobody made to kill. All of us... every one... eventually pays a price for taking life. All matters is how debt approached. If you ignore and marginalise... eventually it catches you. Kills you inside, in return. It is... an easy chasm to fall into."

I blink... why is she suddenly so glib, I wonder?

"But you have been saved by the intentions of another. Do not waste the opportunity. Repent for all those you have sacrificed to be here today. Recognise them, live with them."

She pauses, then turns her head back, and smiles gently.

"Blood is thicker than water. And you are already covered in it. Your family is already massive. So, what else could the world throw at you?"

I am shocked at this idea and stop, shaking slightly.

"I shall proceed. Use the brain you had previously shut off. What do you need, as a person? Fear not the dead. You have been treading with them for some time, no?"

"... yes..." I squeak.

She smiles again, nods, and walks off briskly, leaving me alone in this dark corridor, which echoes with the moans of the void.

Why did I ever follow Nii-sama in the first place?

I was lost.

Not physically.

But I was bereft of function. A blade that no longer had a sheath to return to.

At the time, I thought, perhaps... that I was simply looking for a new wielder. A new master to direct my swings.

I would cut down his foes, and be able to retreat once more into my shell of a mind, content that I was of use, comfortable in my own ignorance, able to sit in my gradually congealing layers of blood.

But instead, the blood was scraped off me, layer by layer. I was forced to face the fact that I am a young girl. And that... all along... I had just been seeking the warmth of the hearth, to sooth my tired, cold body.

"Despite the cold, I don't feel it, yes?" I whisper to myself.

"Will you all... forgive me, yes? I am merely a stupid girl. I have reaped your life, and only offered you further death, and boredom."

Suddenly my heart slows for the first time in days. The faces in my head, they no longer seem so distinct.

I see. There is nothing naturally malicious about Void spirits. They are simply... part of the cycle of things, yes? They also seek love, things they never got in life.

Nii-sama.

He loves me?

I hug myself. That is something I never did. Strange.

"Perhaps... maybe... we can try this new road, together, my family."

-------
    Esraye gets to act like a senpai to her fellow blade-chan. :D

15. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 104
    DEEPER AND DOWN

We eventually reach the area past the rest stop, which I originally thought was a dead end.

"Here, was it? How are we supposed to get down?" I ask.

"It's smaller than I thought, Fortee." Jeanette says, scratching her head. "No stairs here... I guess we'll go with plan B. Just don't expect me to fight much for a while afterwards..."

"I guess that will have to do." He looks back. "Where did Esraye go, Darion?"

Darion looks surprised and looks over his shoulder as well.

"Gods, you were so busy sulking you didn't even notice?" Jeanette huffs. "I really feel sorry for that girl."

He looks panicked, but then sighs in relief as she strides around the corner.

"Do not be. Jeanette... Darion is... still wonderful to me. And yes, our behind is certainly... safe." She nods, looking over her shoulder with a strange smile.

He looks like he swoons at her casual expression of love. Heh... it’s a pretty funny relationship they have. Unexpectedly... affectionate?

Kiku is fidgeting to herself, I notice, blushing, and Rishya has a shy smile as well. These two are funny romantics as well...? I'll have to keep that in mind.

"Then, send me first. If there is danger, I shall hold." Fortinbras says.

"Of course you will, you lug. Being a dense ball is your specialty!" Jeanette snickers.

"What are we doing, then?" I ask once more.

"Ah, right. I'll lower ya down one by one... maybe two of the girls at a time."

Taking the lift, is it?

She starts making motions again, and Fortinbras walks straight off the ledge, showing his implicit trust in her. He dips suddenly for a moment, but then sinks gradually out of sight.

"Cya on the other side, Fortee." She smiles sweetly.

"I will be waiting for you to catch up, as ever." He smiles back.

She snickers. "Asshole" she curses under her breath, though happily.

Kali makes gagging motions as she comes up next to me.

"Such sugar. Kali retch!" She exclaims.

This four are fairly diabetes inducing. I wonder if the real reason the cleric gentleman left was that he was like the fifth wheel?

Though I'm driving an out-of-control six-wheeler, so I can't talk.

"I don't think I can call them out on it though." I smile wryly to Kali.

"Enough trueness. Elijah also quite full of sugar." She giggles.

I grab her in a hug.

"Would you like some sugar?" I joke.

She squirms and blushes.

"Here!? Honestly... such pervert..."

I peck her on the forehead and let her go.

She giggles again and dashes off.

Aria sighs next to me and rolls her eyes but doesn't say anything.

I look back up at the transfer operation and see Darion has already been sent down squealing due to her deliberately dropping him for a moment. She really torments her brother. Esraye chops her on head, and goes to descend herself.

"Ugh, heavy... Esraye... did your boobs grow again?" Jeanette curses.

Esraye looks to her left, squints, her eyes briefly sparkling, and then smiles.

"What can I say? Brother of yours keeps rubbing." She says, deadpan.

"Ugh! Ugh! Not an image I needed! Ugh! Get away already!" She beckons and Esraye rapidly disappears down the chasm.

Jeanette sighs, showing some fatigue, and then looks up to us.

"Who first then? And no, you can't go together with your man." She says.

"Mmmm... send us first." Seria says, taking Kiku's arm and making her chitter.

"Kali go with Rish-chan!"

"Noooo...!" Rishya moans as she is dragged into the queue by Kali.

I laugh to myself.

"I should probably go by myself. My spear is probably heavier than Miss. Esraye's scythe." Aria says, rolling her eyes.

We all line up for the lift and Jeanette sighs.

"Ugh..."

"Flogged like the workhorse you are, sis." Darion snarks.

"Ugh..."

Seems she can't even retaliate. Jeanette is wheezing and looks exhausted. She floated down herself after sending us all.

Fortinbras pats her on the shoulder.

It's oppressively dark down here. At the bottom, it was pretty macabre. We literally landed on a floor made of tightly packed and piled bones. The air is tight and stale, and it feels like there is a thin veil of mist everywhere you look, despite the dryness on my face.

A narrow shaft of light splits the darkness from the chasm above, looking like a giant dagger thrust into a giant creature.

"As per the prior agreement, we shall stand guard over this, seeing it is the primary exit. If a situation should occur that requires our further assistance, do not hesitate to retreat to this location. At least two of us shall be here at all times."

I personally wasn't around for this prior agreement, but it seems Aria already sorted out the details, and made it known that I would have to be challenged to grow stronger.

So, they are basically here as an emergency life raft, whilst also investigating the new layout on the side themselves.

I guess that’s mildly comforting. Given what I've seen of this dungeon thus far, I doubt actual 'Safe Zones' are on the menu, and when they are attempted, it is more a calculated risk, like that previous rest stop that the Skull Beast butchered.

Let’s hope this area's not like its 'darkest dungeon' descriptor implies, eh?

16. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 105
    TENTACLES (DON’T ASK)

Why is it always the worst thing you can imagine?

Bounding out of the darkness, there is a thing mostly made of eyes and whipping tendrils. Long brownish-orange body, and a maw at the front, that is constantly open and glowing with purple void.

It's been awhile since something strictly nightmare fuel. But this world is always happy to oblige with those, eh?

And no, I've never understood the tentacles thing.

I dodge away, and so do all the others. It crashes in the wall with a bang between our formation, so it clearly doesn't have too much fine control.

A new sword from Kiku boomerangs towards it, but is slapped away by one of the dozen wildly spinning tendrils, returning in a wide arc back to her grasp. Nice to see the returning effect is really reliable at least.

Kali gulps, throws caution to the wind, and charges at it, her steps suddenly lighting with flame and giving her acceleration as she waves her body strangely.

"Don't!" Aria shouts, but the warning is too late.

Kali impacts the thing in an explosion of flames, staggering it, but then six tendrils slap her all at once, and even though she partly blocked with her gauntlets, she screams, flying backwards, trailing some blood.

She collapses in a heap, and can't get up. Me and Rishya run over to her. The advance of the thing is distracted by a large stroke of lightning searing it, blowing it backwards in a creepy silence besides the surge of electricity and crack of thunder.

"Ah! Achacha!" Kali cries, thrashing on the floor. "Why such agony?!"

Cripes... for her to feel it with her endurance?! What the hell do those tendrils do?

Seeing her up close, the slashes also have spines coming out. She is bleeding from her shoulder, midriff, and left leg, from three hits.

"Wah! Such a strong poison!" Rishya cries, grimacing as Michael glows. "Take out the spines, Elijah-sama! Now!"

I crouch, grab Kali in my arms and do so, yanking the three spines out with my gloves.

"Achhh! Gaaahhh!" She screams.

"I'm so sorry..."

She thrashes on the floor, bereft of reply, her teeth locked in a grimace, and her whipping arm cracks me in the breastplate with a clang, making feel a sting of pain. Jeez...

"Leave her to me, now, Elijah-sama. Go help the others. Don't get close!" Rishya says, glowing with rippling orange lights.

Aria is seriously skirmishing the thing at maximum length possible with her spear, still barely dodging at times.

Kiku is basically constantly trying to find opportunities to fling in her new swords. One of those finally finds purchase, and slashes off one of the tendrils in a gush of yellow pus. Disgusting.

As Aria lands a glancing stab on it, one of its fangs snapping, Seria finally completes another incantation, striding forwards and doing her impression of the emperor again, both hands acting like hoses for raw power. My thunder spirit acts tremendously excited, but I don't think this is a good time to try my shotgun thunder spell.

It finally makes a strange wheezing noise as it gets blown backward, its body turning black and shrivelling slightly from the electrical current.

I light a vial now it is pushed away from the girls, and fling it with all my power as I run up to Seria's side as her attack splutters and finishes.

"Fire in the hole!" I shout. I always wanted to say that...

It staggers as its maw chomps furiously, and it starts to charge back at us, oblivious to its apparent wounds.

But the vial impacts true, right into its gob.

Krakooom!

It erupts in bulbous ripples from the inside, and then the front half explodes.

Fortunately, the yellow pus is incinerated by the white flames, but something I didn't think about happens... a few of the spines it must have had inside shoot towards us.

Pre-emptive dodge barely moves my head to the side in time for one spine to whistle past my ear.

The corpse of the thing collapses and rolls to a stop, the maw half consumed by fire, a green tongue lolling over the remains.

"Kaaaaaa!" Seria exclaims, and collapses, grabbing on to my shoulder.

Shit! I dodged it and she was behind me.

I spin and grab her tightly. Her eyes spin and water. The spine only glanced her left arm, but I guess that still gave a tiny dose of that poison that nigh crippled Kali.

Fortunately, Rish is the light speed cleric, and has already finished with Kali, so Seria's left arm also glows with light, and the scratch heals.

She is still sweating and crying furiously in my arms. She's alot squishier than Kali, of course.

"Master... are you ok?"

"Ughhh... fuck my bony ass... that was painful. In my two hundred years..." she yelps again, grabbing my butt. I don't think I've ever heard her swear like Kiku.

"...'tis but a scratch!" I exclaim in a silly voice.

I'm so sorry, I couldn't help myself.

"Stupid boy!" She glares at me, punches my shoulder in a huff, and pulls herself away.

"I'm sorry." I apologise. She snorts and rolls her eyes.

"You are truly blessed that I am so merciful." She grins scarily under her squinted eyes.

Aria and Kiku dash up to me, breathing heavily still.

"Seria!! Um... are you ok?!" Kiku exclaims.

"The boy being a fool besides, I am fine." She nods. "Thanks to Rishya, of course."

Seria bows to Rishya, who is approaching whilst supporting the limping Kali.

"I... it is what I am here for, Seria-sama." She smiles sweetly.

We all look at the corpse and breathe a sigh of relief. As far as horrible first battles go, that one was pretty bad.

But at least it's over, now.

17. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 106
    HE’S A GROWING LAD

"What even was that thing?" Aria questions.

"I am quoting a rather old text here, but I believe this to be a Void creature called a Veloper. Its poison is similar to Gravefellica dust, powered directly by the void." Seria says, rolling her shoulder.

"This whole area is still intense with the strength of the void. Even keeping our light going is quite... straining. The light spirits just want to sleep." Rishya nods, with a frustrated expression.

"Mmmm... indeed... I would say the intensity is similar to the upper floors feeling when the Skull Beast was present. Fufufu... the fact that your light is still possible obscenely suggests you have grown still more powerful, Rishya." Seria cackles.

"I...! R-really? Hmmm... w-well... that is obviously the fault of Elijah-sama!" She huffs.

Everyone glares at me and I shrug.

"If kissing you lots gives us plenty of light... I'd do it in a heartbeat." I smile, going up to Rishya and brushing her wavy hair from her face.

"Eck! Kyaaaa!" She involuntarily recoils.

"Elijah... please stop terrorising Rish so much." Aria sighs, flicking my forehead.

"Ow!" I squeal and pull away. Cripes, even Aria's flicks are like bullets. Ouch!

The girls all laugh at me being kinda pathetic, and I have to join them after a second.

We ended up taking a passage off the right-hand part of the large bone floored entry chamber. This room is a large vaulted place, giving the impression of an underground cathedral, though minus the pews and the altar. A small amount of eerie blue radiance filters from above somewhere, but it would still be horribly dark were it not for Rishya's light.

To be honest, with the bones floor before I was expecting more skeletons. But perhaps the undead will be replaced with the otherworldly here.

If the corpse of the Veloper is anything to go by, at least...

I breath out in a sigh, and suddenly, 'Level up! 4 points awarded.' flashes across my vision. I was wondering if that would happen. My suspicion was that the Skull Beast left me quite close to getting two levels at once. Seems I was right.

Aria jumps up.

"Aggh! Again!?" She cries.

Oh right, she gets the itchies when I level. Poor Aria.

Well... what should I invest in this time?

I've already decided, so I don't open the skill forest.

'Exceptional Vitality I and II' For sure.

It's kinda embarrassing, and I think I got away with it since it was their first times, but Aria and Kiku's appetite for sex was pretty terrifying. Were it not for my Etranger bonus, I don't think I'd have even managed what little I did.

I feel a bit bad using the girl's hard work to make myself last longer in bed, for sure... but harem management aids are just as crucial to my survival as battle aids, right!?

Besides, it means that I will hopefully have more hit points and a better tolerance to pain. Passing out instantly due having my wrist severed was pretty scary. As bad as it sounds, I should probably expect terrible injury in the future if I keep fighting, and always having instantaneous healing available from Rishya is expecting too much from the poor girl.

Selecting these two feels strange. It's like my abdomen tightens up even further and my arm muscles expand a bit.

A chunk of pain spikes all at once, making me gasp and fall on my ass, but then the feeling disappears.

I stand back up, shaking my head. Seria peers at me and squints.

"Gods! Boy... you just got taller!" She exclaims.

"W-wow!" Kali exclaims.

Oh... so I just forced a growth spurt on myself at my age? No wonder it hurt so much. My arms are still sore.

"W-what... you're right... he grew half a peklecksel!" Aria's eyes are wide.

"Are you trying to make me feel inadequate, boy?" Seria grins.

"No... no!" I exclaim.

Seria just cackles, of course.

"I... um... I wonder if he grew even bigger between the legs as well!" Kiku chitters, holding her face and blushing.

"Kiku!" I shout.

"Mmm... it might well be concerning if that's the case, though. Hmmm..." Seria ponders, looking over her own small body.

"Master!" I shout in the other direction.

The girls all do a filthy laugh together. I sigh. These girls are insufferable!

Rishya is redder than a tomato and is panicking, though, at least. It's nice she at least still remains quite innocent compared to these other little monsters.

"What the heck did you get this time?" Aria queries out of nowhere, stopping her snicker for a moment.

"Uh... a toughness boost. I honestly didn't expect it to make me taller though." Nice save, me.

Aria comes right up close to me and runs her tender yet calloused hands along me sensually.

"Mm, seems about right. It’s no longer just like someone keeping fit, but rather a whole new training regimen. Hehe... its... pretty manly, now, Elijah."

"Eh wot!? Let me try it!" Kiku rushes over and caresses me as well.

Inevitably it turns into a scene of five girls rubbing my arms and midriff and giving me shivers all over. For fucks sakes!

It almost feels like twelve hands to be honest, but that must be my imagination.

"That's enough!" I exclaim, breathing heavily and throwing them all off.

"Fufufufu... shame... that was quite entertaining." Seria laments, finger to her mouth.

The girls giggle again and I just roll my eyes.

"Um, I wonder if we can scavenge anything useful from this thing?" Kiku wonders out loud, returning to business.

"I'd rather we didn't. Collecting that agony poison for sale seems wrong." Aria crosses her arms.

"Want to burn it does Kali. This place brings things back, no?"

"Mmm... you have a point." Seria nods.

I nod as well. Having this thing resurrect and spine us in the back is a bad prospect.

So, Kali sets fire to the remainder of the corpse.

What will come out next, I wonder?
    --------
    Got your priortities straight, Elijah! Good man!

18. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE MKO
    MELODY’S RESOLUTION

"Hah... to think Aria would do such a thing. Didn't you try to stop her, father?" I ask, stretching my leaden legs.

"She expected that I would. She purposefully asked Leanne to distract me with official business. I'm not sure how she convinced Leanne to help." Dad sighs.

I blink, and rub my forehead. That baka little sister of mine actually came up with, and executed a cunning plan. She even got two of the senior court mages, Darence and Flementine, to help her with the initial surgelocking.

I can't help but be mildly impressed.

She's still an idiot though, and it shows. It’s fairly clear she didn't realise she had to have a very clear intent when summoning.

So, she ended up dragging a random otherworldly civilian into our mess.

I suppose the real miracle is that this man not only chose to stay, but has apparently had some success. Although, even with his interesting power, the fact he is still starting from zero is a serious disadvantage. It’s kind of the point of summoning to instantly gain an asset you can immediately utilise to swing a battle in your favour. So just getting a slab of fresh meat seems of dubious merit.

Even so, I guess he does have a minor leg up purely by being empowered by the summoning process. It's a thin slice of hope, but I guess at this point, we must take whatever we are given.

"Hahhh..." my father sighs.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Heh... its relief. You are truly the same as always, Melody. You've descend into your own head just like that ever since you were half Aria's age."

I smile wryly.

Dad rubs his eyes. He surely looks way more tired and wrinkled and... old... compared to even what I remember.

Apparently, I had been gone nearly six months. So that means the war has been going on for a year now. The front-lines have been pushed back as far as Havan Bluff, Fejica Fortress is sacked. The demons are on our doorstep, and the hope from the early months, when Cadence's brilliant planning was keeping everything together, is gone.

It was already looking grim when I tried my summon. But now... I can only feel remorse that I left Aria and Dad in that situation due to my hubris.

I hug dad.

"I'm so sorry, father. I failed again." I say.

And we cry together for a while. Something royals cannot be seen to do. But we need it all the same.

I practice with the two cups again. My hands feel like they've been mummified, they're so slow.

I can feel my ribs through my tunic. I got so thin whilst I was asleep. My damn boobs are still the same though. Ugh.

I fail and the cups fall over, splashing me with water once more.

"Your majesty, perhaps you should stop there. You are still recovering."

I growl. Kako is right, though, I'm already feeling the spiritual fatigue.

"Do not be disheartened, you have been awake barely over a day. The fact you can already walk is..."

I smash the cups aside in fury.

"It's not enough, Kako! I put my little sister in danger! What a useless whore I became, making her little shoulders bear such a burden!" I shout.

Kako watches the water run down the wall and sighs.

"We are now both in such a boat, your majesty."

"What?" I ask.

"It appears your little sister and mine became friends at some point. They are both with this summoned man."

Kako had a sister? I didn't know... wait... of course... she is... her father is a famous mercenary. That... that little girl with green pig-tails that congratulated Kako with stars in her eyes when she became my Knight-Protector? Aria became her friend? When did I miss that...? I thought she only ever hung around with Duke Mullights daughter? Huh...

"Your sister..." I chew my lip. "She wanted to be like you?"

Kako raises her eyebrows and smiles wistfully.

"Perhaps once. But... now I'm not so sure?"

"Why do you say that?" I ask.

"It seems the silly girl had a crush on the summoned man." Kako sighs and has a haunted look to her eyes.

"And that's bad? All girls have silly crushes. It makes them stronger in the end."

"I... do they!?" Her brows scrunch.

I burst out in laughter. Kako's such a swordbrain that I bet men are a strange alien concept to her. But that's what I like about her, and why I approved of her becoming my knight in the end... the sword skills are just a formality. Someone you can trust to be a friend and a confidant... as a princess that is far more valuable.

Kako glares at me.

"Hee-hee... so you're saying a man took your little sister away!"

Her mouth opens wide and she gawks at my taunting.

"I guess..." she finally splutters.

"Ah, you're so painfully honest, Kako. I'm sorry to taunt you."

"Its fine. I make no secret of the fact that I only know the sword. Although... to be honest... even though I'm not very insightful in this kind of thing, I get the feeling that it wasn't just my little sister that was interested in this man."

That makes me stop. What?

"Surely you don't mean?!"

Kako nods.

She's probably safe though. She's cute but... She's... wait a minute...

"How old is your sister, Kako?" I query, my eye twitching.

"Ah, yes, there was a fair gap between us. She's thirteen, Melody."

Godsdammit.

Ugh! If this guy puts his hands on Aria... I'll murder him! I'll hang him up on icicle spikes!

I must get stronger and help her out as soon as possible!

"Oh!? You did it, your majesty!" Kako exclaims.

Huh?

I look down.

Swirling round my shaking fist is floating water, steaming from heat, perhaps detecting my fury.

Heh... my water spirit woke up after all. Maybe I can get better quicker than I first thought?

Let’s hope that is truly the case.

-----
    If only Kako and Melody knew their sisters were already 'accounted' for. XD

19. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 107
    CRAWLING INTO DANGER

I sneeze and something crawls over my grave. I feel strangely uneasy.

"This part is seriously eerie." I comment uselessly.

"I guess..." Aria cocks her head.

It's probably the architecture. Without sense or reason, built by a madman, or in this case, a mad spirit?

It switches randomly between resembling a crypt, a cavern and a black dungeon. A whole host of crazy, and the eerie quiet since we slew the Veloper hasn't helped.

We go outwards into another open cavern. This one is circular, with a spiked pit in the centre. Its things like this that highlight its design madness. If that is meant to be a trap, it’s totally in the wrong place, isn't it?

"Mmm... there is... something wrong here..." Seria says.

"I know right? Who puts a spiked pit in the centre of the room?" I say.

Seria rolls her eyes.

"You're right, Seria-sama. Michael is very uneasy about this room."

"Even you should feel it, boy." Seria mentions.

Come to think of it, it feels like my spirit is very quiet, like it is watching carefully with wide eyes. Paranoid?

"Hmm..."

I nod after a moment.

"Maybe something I said does occasionally fix itself in that head of yours. Fufufu..."

Seria's cackle seems nervous though.

BANG!

A thump noise resounds, echoing through the whole room, and making everyone jump.

Shit! What the hell was that?

Suddenly I notice something silently and rapidly extending down from the ceiling towards...

I dash forwards and tackle Aria on to the floor, rolling aside with her.

"W-what!? N-now is not the place for this...!" She stutters, blushing.

"Above!" I shout. "Something is!"

Thanks to my warning, Kiku ducks, spins and quickly slashes upwards. She takes off a pincer like appendage at the wrist, which gushes green pus over her.

Suddenly there is a roar shaking the chamber.

The girls cluster together instantly in battle stance, and I roll off Aria.

Now I'm looking upwards.

Oh god. What the hell is that?

A thing covers the ceiling. It looks like a massive centipede, around forty feet long, armoured in black plates, coiled around a large stalactite. But it forks into two, giving it two roaring sandworm mouths, and each heads first four arms have pincers it has extended down like dangling ropes.

"Cave Crawler!" Kiku shouts.

Oh for fucks sakes. A crawler’s relative? I should have known that my first explosives kill would eventually come back to haunt me.

"Clear! Move!" Aria shouts as she jumps up.

This time she tackles me and honest to god throws me over her spare shoulder. I cough up something from suddenly becoming a sack of potatoes.

But Aria just saved my life again.

Over her shoulder, I see the cave crawler drop from the ceiling with a boom, throwing up dust and making us all cough.

It is clearly not happy about losing a pincer.

It moves hugely fast and charges Kiku like an out of control train. She goes wide eyed, but barely flash steps out the way, raking the side plates ineffectually with her blades in an ear-splitting screech noise as it rushes past.

I get dropped unceremoniously, but manage to barely pull off a forward roll, and leap to my feet in a surprising display of acrobatics.

Heh... looks like I can dodge the ground with Precognitive Dodge as well. Handy.

This is a bit of a disaster though; the surprise attack has split all the girls up in a circle around the thing.

"The underbelly again!?" I shout in query.

"Yep, but only the back part is vulnerable in these. The pincers need to be dealt with. And Sendervil's mercy this one is huge..." Aria responds, looking uneasy.

"We've also got stronger!" I assure her, and she gives a wry smile, hoisting up her spear.

Fucking caterpillar cerberus! How damn unfair. This things like twenty-man raid material!

Showing way more mobility than the Veloper, the thing twists adroitly, avoiding the cavern wall. The girls try to consolidate, but as it faces us its damn hookshot pincers shoot out once more. Kali knocks Rishya to the ground in a cartwheel, barely preventing her head from flying off. Rishya screams.

Kali then seems to momentarily emulate it, scuttling like beetle for a second, but then suddenly somehow uses her momentum to do a rising uppercut at the 'arm' of one of the extending pincers. It is blown upwards in a burst of flames, throwing off the trajectory and causing the pincer to smash into the ground.

It roars again. Kiku doesn't miss the opportunity and severs this one too by throwing a sword.

Gods. I'm still hesitating as Aria jets off, her spear starting to glow with prismatic light.

She smashes into its side, and from her meteoric charge and super strength, pierces one the armour plates like a sentient anti-tank round.

It buckles in the middle in agony, roaring, and starts retracting all its pincers. Aria nearly gets taken upwards, but shouts and yanks out the spear, jumping backwards.

A fountain of black blood erupts from where she left a gaping hole.

Maybe that's it! It's like that Starship Troopers scene! I need to get a vial in there! I grab one and start to run as it thrashes around furiously.

"Boy! Get down!" Seria shouts out urgently.

Oh shit! It looped one of the pincers round as it retracted!? What the fuck!?

I feel myself dodging automatically as usual... but it's way too fast. Its...

It comes at me in slow motion as my adrenaline spikes. Seria incants furiously, but she's been interrupted too much already. She won't make it.

I'm gonna be snapped in half!

Then... the pincer explodes in white fire with a massive shockwave, severing it.

Kraaakoom!

What? A vial?! My ears whine in high frequency at the point-blank explosion.

But it won't be enough, still. It is severed, but still possesses the same momentum. More, in fact. I'll just be splattered into smithereens rather than chopped in twain.

"Ikazuchi no Yaiibaa!"

For some reason, even in my deafness, I still hear this strange phrase. Thunder blade?!

Then, I am then no longer in front of the pincer. I watch the now severed lump of chitin crash by.

A clap of thunder accompanies me as I fall prone on my ass with a clang of my breastplate.

Seria? No.

And as electricity surges around, the thunderbolt that was carrying me suddenly turns into something.

A ninja girl straddling me.

Kaede. She’s...

She bends forward, and steals my lips furiously, hungrily.

She's back.

20. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 108
    BACK TO THE NINJA

It's really not the time for this, but I respond to Kaede in kind, giving her the snog she is long overdue from before. Her shining blue eyes go wide.

It's a short one compared to some, but she should at least sense the passion.

My hearing starts to return with a pop.

"Nnnn... Nii-saaammma..." she cries out as I release her, drool coming down her chin.

"More when it's dead, Kaede!" I shout.

She is quick to adjust her swimming eyes, and nods, backflipping off me.

I pull up as well. Seria gawks briefly, still holding a magic circle and crackling with electricity, as Kaede dashes past her, and produces an obscene number of knives as she dashes, flinging them forwards in a torrent.

Her aim at the bug like eyes is pretty true, and it gets about ten shards of metal stabbed into them.

It roars again, thrashing furiously from losing about a third of its vision and pulling back in a temporary retreat.

Kaede's big damn hero moment is probably the trigger we need to turn this around.

The gap this time is finally enough to allow Seria to get a spell in. I see her grin. She pulls no punches, and I finally get to see use her railgun.

A crackling line of fire and electricity surges from her palm, as literally uses a spoon she had for some reason on her person as a faster than sound projectile.

But the impact is pretty much as one might expect. A massive hole is blown in the left-hand head. It also simultaneously loses two pincers. Blood goes everywhere.

I can't lose the opportunity this time.

I light the vial I am still clutching, and trust in Power Throw as it rears up, screaming.

I feel nervous, because it clinks off the hole, but apparently my luck holds, as it turns into a bank shot and falls in regardless.

It explodes promptly afterwards.

Kraaakooom!

The already wounded head is actually blown off clean at the neck. The thrashing intensifies.

But not giving it chance to recover, I see Aria take her javelin throwing stance, and she flings her massive spear, covered in light.

Unlike with the Skull Beast, this time it finds purchase, and it skewers the remaining head like one of those joke 'arrow through the head' head-bands.

It falls, crashing in another cloud of dust, its massive remaining tongue lolling. The body rolls aside, and then manages to accidently drop into the spiked pit, sealing the deal.

We did it.

Everyone exhales.

The difficulty surely has spiked again in this area. I want to moan on a forum about it.

Kaede blinks and shimmers as she runs towards me, and then she glomps my side, rubbing herself up against me.

"So, you were following all along, I take it?" I query.

"Yes... I... I couldn't forget Nii-sama after all. I am truly mortified that I held my sword to your throat..."

She pulls herself away and looks sad, tapping the floor with her foot.

I sigh.

"I see. Well... I was rather depressed you did it, more than anything else."

Her eyes water a bit and she grimaces. She really has changed.

"Nii-sama! This one is unworthy to be with you, yes... and if you hate me... I shall be content with... being your shadow... but... if you still... still..."

I grab her and kiss her again, and she squirms.

"Did you already forget what hopeless kind of man I am?" I ask, wiping a tear from her bulging eyes.

She smiles.

"Hehe... a lolicon pervert and a gentleman, yes?"

"Indeed." I nod happily.

"You shouldn't let him have everything he wants, you know." Seria snarks, coming over.

"But it seems I want what he wants, yes?" Kaede interjects, tilting her head.

Seria blinks repeatedly at Kaede's sudden new ability to respond.

"Ufufufu... you have certainly changed, Kaede." She grins wolfishly. "Though with this strange man, anything can happen..."

I laugh and put a hand behind my head.

"That was not a compliment. You are just strange, boy." She grins again.

"Speaking of strange, however, whatever was that move?" She turns back to Kaede, flicking a twin-tail.

"Ikazuchi no Yaiba?" Kaede questions.

"Yes, that. It was very much like my own Thunder Step. Instantaneous movement mimicking the jolt of lightning. But, for sure, this was something I invented. I have not taught it to others. Not even the last apprentice I took."

Kaede blinks.

"Honestly... it is something I have known the motions for... for some time. But... I have never managed it. Like the Suzaku Blazefall... it seems watching others... watching you in this case, Seria-sama, allowed me to comprehend something I could not previously, yes?"

Seria sighs.

"How peculiar. It is truly bizarre because you can, with this strange art, call upon multiple spirit types. Even without them inside you. Kali's art, it is an established... if unusual means, and it is limited to fire... but this... hah... I guess this is another Etranger mystery, if what the boy says about this 'sa-moo-raye' is correct. I must study it further."

"I will give you some of the scrolls later, Seria-sama. I may be the last user alive, now, after all."

Seria looks happy at this. She always appreciates new things to study, doesn't she?

Myself meanwhile... I look back at the Cave Crawler, which is now gushing blood into the pit.

And having just spoken to Seria, I smile wistfully as I wonder about the saying 'lightning never strikes twice in the same place.'