Is rebuilding my blog. Help?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Erothur, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Erothur

Erothur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I'm rebuilding my blog to look even better than the current one so I want some help in php programming.

can anybody help or maybe lead the way to place where I can ask for help?

BTW, already watch some video tutorials for this so I am asking for in depth use like script, css and such.

well, for now, already browse a bit and found codingforum but still, too timid to just ask there. it'll be good if there are some user who could show me the ropes hehe

2. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just a thought...

I learned programming and know a few about php... but in the end, I built it under wordpress/bloggers/squarespace...
    Its less time consuming and has a better look overall imo...
    If you need to do something, just inject javascript in there...

3. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Every programmer I know tells me to avoid PHP like the plague.

4. Erothur

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I used blogspot for my blog and build up using that but I want to use my own frame so I can put ads wherever I want and some yet to known features of php programming.

well, lets just say it then.
    [​IMG]

I want to make the left part (ads part) become static even when I scroll the right part. that's the mysterious part that I haven't found solution lol

5. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    sacrifice 7 chickens to PHP God, cover yourself with newly washed white blanket, light 10 candles and chant "php, java, html, sql" repeat 50 times, with luck PHP God will enlighten you.

ferosaito likes this.
  6. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats really bad from design point of view you know

Because people usually see the left side first, thats why most sites would just put the ads either on the bottom or right side, because you would want to make people remember about your logo/website titles first before the ads...
    But hey, if you want people to see the ads first, its your cup of tea.

In the old days, you could use regular html codes. (PHP uses these anyway)
    just split the page into 2 frames first, the ads as the left frame, the content as right frame.

7. Erothur

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to make it like in manga reader sites where the manga are sandwitched with 2 ads

and yeah, want to make the ads always be seen. that way, I can just put 1 ads lol

8. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that's a html+css problem rather than a php one. You might want to look into the "position:fixed" attribute. With CSS, it's easier to break things than to fix things, so be careful (e.g. you could mess up the layout of the rest while trying to fix the ads). You also have to take into account sizes and such, which may be tricky and have only "hacky" solutions.

Erothur likes this.
  9. Enchantress

Enchantress Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Goodluck

10. Enchantress

Enchantress Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice

11. Erothur

Reading List:
    Link

yeah that is the problem that I struggled with. I don't have the dictionary on mostly css tags so when I want to do things like this or that, I stumbled lol.

and thanks for that tag. that might be the key for my problem. gonna try that

12. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm no expert in html+CSS, but when I've had to look into it, W3Schools proved to be rather useful, both as a learning place and as a reference. Mozilla might have another guide (I know they have a very good one for JavaScript).

You might also want to learn about using chrome/Firefox (?) Dev tools, they're super useful in understanding html and CSS, as well as for finding and fixing problems, once you've got to know them. I think it's as easy as pressing F12 in Chrome.

Erothur likes this.
  13. GekkoZockt

GekkoZockt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agecaf's solution with "position=fixed" will most likely do the trick. If you want to stop the ad from scrolling again (preventing it from overlapping the footer) you'll need to add some javascript, easiest accomplished with jQuery. To put the add on the front most layer of the website you want to add "z-index=99999" or some other high value into the css class. With the "margin" tag you can give the element some space from the boarder of the screen.

Keep in mind that depending how you treat mobile users, the 'position' tag can stop working and break the layout partly.

Erothur likes this.
  14. Erothur

Reading List:
    Link
    ah. dammit the mobile version! I forgot about that. how to make a different version for mobile? gonna search some tutorial first

15. GekkoZockt

GekkoZockt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what you are going for. Responsive design, dynamic serving or a separate site.

But let me give you a piece of advice. If you are planing to rewrite everything from scratch, you should be prepared that it will take an enormous amount of time. I'm talking about months of commitment with multiple hours a day working. As long as your primary goal isn't learning how a website is structured and works, it will not be "economical" to rewrite it manually.

If your goal is to learn, you can pm me if you have any questions regarding JavaScript, jQuery or not to complicated css.

16. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use Bootstrap. It's much simpler that way. It'll also take care of your mobile problem, so you won't have to make a different version just for mobile. There are many free themes you can use out there, too.