Novel The Nine Stars

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by ThaneD, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ThaneD

ThaneD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey Guys!

I'm just a simple author that dreams crazy stuff up. =w=''

Sometimes I find writing bitter, a hole you keep digging not knowing whats going to come out of it. Will people like it? Hate it? Even notice it? But at the end of the day, I find that you have to keep pushing forward digging into that hole until something breaks. And I feel like it won't be me! Haha!

Anywho, I figured it's time to throw my story somewhere else besides RRL to get some more eyes on it! This story has been something I've been working on for awhile and I hope you guys enjoy it. >w<''

If you have some leave a cake, cookies, tea, and or well-oiled memes that make me laugh and cry!

I'll try my best to give you guys a good story for I am endlessly dreaming, now onto stuff!

The link over at RRL that holds my story! (I'll try to update these two at around the same time)
    The Nine Stars RRL Link

Art Links!

[ Cover Page! ]
    [ Artist Link: Who did the cover page! ]
    [ Oracle125's thread who did Nena and Concepts of Vince and Rune: Great Artist ]
    [ Nena ]
    [ Concept Art of Vince and Rune ]

The synopsis I look at with disdain! (For I lack a good one):

In a time where mortals constantly fight for the favor of the new gods, the children suffer as war orphans with no hope to live a good life are used and discarded. In the worst city where corrupt nobles run rampant over a weak king who refuses to help the citizens change; lives a band of nine siblings under the care of their foster mother.

Nine siblings, forced together by circumstances beyond their control, managed to live a some-what bearable life thanks to their kind foster mother. That is until one of them awakens to magic. In which this moment sets in motion the chain of events of despair, hope, struggle, and slaughter.

Come watch these nine youths on their path to become immortal where kingdoms fight in the millions against one another be they mortal or immortal!

=========================================================

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. ThaneD

ThaneD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 - Scene 1 - A Daughter’s cry

Rune and her companion Hoss, both donned in ragged patchworks of metal and leather made to resemble armor, clutched sharp spears as they patrolled a tavern within the slums. Hired by a noble to keep the riff-raff out, the brown-haired Rune glared at every drunken fool that crossed her path.

“You need to stop glaring like that Runey or you’ll never get married!” Hoss teased as they watched each other’s back.

Rune gave a long look at Hoss. A bald man with various scars over his face and a bare chest he showed off as war trophies.

Indeed Rune had grown the habit of glaring, yet that didn’t mean she had to stop. Snorting harshly Rune turned her head forward keeping pace, “You’re the one who taught me to be tough Hoss. Remember when you said that the moment I let my guard down came the moment I’d lose my life. Besides, there's only one man for me!”

Hoss chuckled at Rune’s response, “I remember when you were so tiny that they threw you my way… Never did I expect you to grow so fierce little Runey!”

In a low whisper, Rune asked what was on her mind, “Whatever Hoss, what do you know about this noble Dezmin? Are the rumors true that he’s trying to become king? Is that why he’s trying to coax the slavers on his side?”

“Lower your voice girly, the nobles men and slavers informants have ears everywhere,” said Hoss. “One wrong word and we will both be found dead on the street. And yes I believe the rumors are true, and more so why we are guarding this tavern where I think the two leaders are meeting.”

“Hmph!” she pouted, “It’s just as well sin-” Rune stopped moving and her face turned pale.

“Ah? Runey you ok?”

She didn’t respond, and within moments her long brown hair lit ablaze. An inferno turning her dull locks into a scarlet red, and her once black eyes now shone emerald green. Mana emanated from Rune’s body and heated up the air by twenty degrees. Anyone within five meters of her fell sick.

She felt closer to nature as the transformation took place, the mana flying into her eyes, ears, nose, and pores, bathing her in a red and green flame. The change happened quickly, with the phenomenon vanishing within moments.

When the change ended, she glanced at her partner with a mixture of surprise, shock, and fear in her eyes. Hoss sat stupidly on the ground, his face turning an ugly shade of green, as he pointed at her with a trembling finger and wide eyes, “Awakened…”

Rune’s face paled with fright as she feared... She had awakened to magic, “I have to go Hoss… Don’t tell anyone! I’m taking a sick leave!”

Her hands shook as she abandoned her post. Now was not the time to guard this shifty tavern run by that disgusting noble. She had to hide, and fast!

Rune ran home to where her Mother and siblings lived, trying her best to hide her hair with a dirty blanket but having no luck as it burned away in flames. While she fled down the road, Rune never saw the thug that eyed her with greed.

Sprinting down the main road, even though she knew this would expose herself more, Rune didn’t waste a single second of her precious time. Unable to take the side roads that were filled with treacherous gangs, she tried her best to hide her face with the remaining pieces of the dirty rag, ignoring the strange looks that turned to awe when residents saw her flaming red hair.

Sweat poured down her face as she thought to herself, ‘Why did this happen to me? I don’t want to be taken away by slavers… I don’t want nobles to treat me like a delicacy, I don’t want to be used like a toy until I have no use and thrown away. Why are the gods cruel to those without the status to carry the power bestowed?”

Dark thoughts filled her mind, for she’d heard the rumors of what happened to newly awakened mages.

Gasping for air, Rune made it to a shabby building hidden within the mess of shacks that made it look more like a landfill. This shabby building was her home. She entered to find her mother still preparing to go to work in the dragon wheat fields.

When the mother saw her dear daughter, she quickly decided to hide Rune away for a few days, telling her that soon the Royal guard exams were going to take place and that everything was going to be alright.

SCENE 2 - Crushed Dreams

Living in slums such as these made a person tread very carefully lest they end up face down in an alley with a knife in their back.

Rune, her mother, and her eight siblings waited for an attack all night yet nothing came. One day passed and then another. The family hoped against fate that no trouble would come to their little shack as they waited for the day of the exams to finally arrive.

With no other choice, Rune had to take the Royal Guard exams to become one of the kingdom's elites since being a guard in the slums meant nothing to the nobles and the rich.

If she became a Royal Guard, Rune and her family wouldn't have to worry about the slavers and evil nobles and could obtain a better life.

Nena smiled patting her back, “Don’t worry sis! We’ll be fine. Vince will protect us!”

Her smiled warmed Rune’s heart against the ever creeping darkness surrounding her thoughts, and she gave a deep gaze to her eldest brother Vince who was off in the corner sharpening a blade, ready to fight at any moment.

Her Mother arrived, picking Rune up by the hand from the chair she sat in, “Sweetie it’s time to go. We need to move while the sun is on our back.”

Shaking her mind away from the darkness Rune remembered a line her little brother Saren spoke about often in his weird stories,‘Once a fish jumped over the gate of heaven becoming a dragon that all feared.’

Ren, Rune’s younger brother, and a fellow slum guardsman accompanied them. Ren had already planned to take the promotion exam to become a member of the Royal Guards on the account of his outstanding sword skills and the recommendation of his commander. Neither of them were confident they’d pass the test, but this was the only option the family could think of.

The three exited the house together after covering Rune’s head with a huge sack that was formerly used to store flower, hoping to disguise her from any greedy eyes. But as soon as they exited the house three armed men wearing grey robes confronted them with less than honorable intentions.

Rune, scared witless, put her hand on the pommel of her sword, “Wha… W-what do you want? W-we want no trouble here.”

Greedy eyed, the man in the middle laughed, “Ha ha… We want you, Awakened!”

Hmmph!

With weapons drawn the men blocked the family’s path. Then without a word two of the men lunged forward slashing at Ren. “Come at me rats!” Ren growled and clashed blades with both of the assailants, parrying their blows while forcing them backward. But the two attackers were a mere diversion as the third robed man standing still suddenly lunged behind Ren...

...and jammed a short sword through his mother’s lungs…

“Mother?” Rune muttered in disbelief at the blood streaming out of her mother’s wound. Rage followed closely behind as the disbelief faded with Rune turning her head to the sky with a heart-wrenching scream,“MOTHER! NO!”

Filled with rage, Rune unsheathed her guardsman's sword, “I’LL FUCKING KILL YOU!” She charged forward, cleanly cutting the head off one of the murderers.

Her brother Ren recovered from his shock, and wielding his own guardsman sword, impaled the closest attacker who had stabbed his mother… and pulled the blade upwards, gutting him like a fish.

Moving forward Ren and Rune moved in union on their third attacker and they cut off both his arms making them bathe in blood of their enemy. To the last man let loose his bowels from pure fear as brother and sister ferociously howled for revenge wanting the price of blood to be paid ten times over.

Fresh blood and bowels pooled around them adding their stench to the already disgusting air of the slums.

The last attacker ran away laughing to himself, “Haha… wait till the boss hears there is indeed an Awakened! The info was spot on! I shall be rewarded handsomely! Just you wait girly, a noble will buy you right up! HAHAHAHAhahahah…” His laughter trailed into the distance, not caring in the slightest for his fallen companions.

Vince came out of the house and saw the aftermath of the fight. He noticed Ren was about to go after the man and held him back. Ren only struggled for a bit before Vince growled in a chilling voice, “Don’t be a fool, who knows if there are more of them!”

Rune shivered at the final words of the fleeing assailant whilst holding her dying mother in her arms. The dark thoughts came back to her mind, and she cried her eyes out as she thought back to the rumors.

The various nobles in the kingdom would pay a high price for a newly awakened mage they could use to fulfill their obscene fetishes... Some believed that if they eat the flesh of a mage they would awaken the magical properties that lay dormant inside their own bodies.

Others had perverse ideas such as selling mages as pets to be played with, until they were mere husks of their former selves. The broken mages would then be discarded away for a new playtoy. To make it worse the common people knew of these rumors, but were too powerless to do anything about it.

Instead of chasing him down, the two siblings took their wounded mother back into the house. With the knife lodged her gut they couldn’t do anything to save her. They couldn’t even afford to pay for a doctor… Rune cursed the cruel gods.

Why? Rune asked herself. Why did she have to awaken? Why couldn’t she remain normal and weak? Then she wouldn’t have to watch her mother die. She hated this… She hated this world.

SCENE 3 - A mother’s wish

On a bloodstained blanket within a dark room lied a young woman on the brink of death. Her skin had a leathery appearance that came from working in the fields from noon to sunset, and her face was deathly pale from lack of blood.. Her hair was black as night, and her blue eyes brimmed with tears as she stared at the nine figures surrounding her.

On closer inspection, the figures were weeping youths, too powerless to do anything to help her. They could only stay by her side in the little life that she had left. She showed them a gentle smile, knowing full well she was going to die. At least she knew her loving children cared so much for her.

She thought back to the beginning, how many years has it been since she took these children in? It had been so long now they only knew her by the name mother. To her, they were like nine stars that shone in this city’s hellish embrace.

Staring compassionately at her beloved family, the young woman didn't know what to say in her final moments.

Sol and Luna were holding each other's hands, sobbing in broken sentences, “Mum… you can’t… go you just can’t you can’t… you can’t!”

Sol, “You can’t die, you can’t! Who would make your special rye soup if you died?”

Luna, “Don’t go mum, we’ll be good!”

Len sat their silently with tears streaming down her cheeks, her hair covering her eyes, yet her mother knew she want to say something but couldn’t bring herself to.

Their adoptive Mom wiped away Len’s silent tears and smiled, “Stay strong, my children.”

Xue’s face was twisted in pain as she wept silent tears, uttering three words, “Don’t die… Mother!”

The minds of the nine youths were filled with a sea of sadness, only wishing for the heavens to save their mother. Yet the gods gave them no answer, watching on as the world rotted away until only sand and ash remained.

Desperately the mother tried to push away the feeling of death. The moment she was stabbed replayed in her mind, but she knew she wouldn't choose differently if it happened again. She wouldn’t hesitate to risk her life for her dear children! Coughing up a mouthful of blood, she chuckled knowing her end was nigh.

Still, she didn’t fear death in the slightest, only fearing what awaited her family when she left them. The thought terrified her so much that her life flashed before her eyes within a moment.

As the brief moment passed, the woman's vision began to fade from the lack of blood, making her mind wander. ‘These children are the stars that lit up my hellish life in this horrid city... I can only hope they continue to shine brightly after I'm gone...’

Her breath turned shallow and blood flowed from her lips as she opened her mouth, facing her eldest son Vince, “Vince my son… I don’t have much time… left in this world… my wound… is too deep to heal… I can’t even see you kids clearly anymore… My time grows short...”

A coughing fit hit her, and another mouthful of blood stained the dirty blanket. Some of it even splashed on the children that surrounded her in her final moments. But they paid no mind and moved closer to their dying mother.

She weakly lifted her hand to wipe away the tears coming from Vince’s sky blue eyes, “Mother you can’t leave! You can’t! Soon, mother, we’ll have enough money to move out this godforsaken Kingdom and then we can live on a little farm like we always talked about, right guys?”

Suddenly with trembling hands, Vince grabbed his mother's hand, praying that things didn’t have to be this way. He prayed but the gods did not answer. One by one the siblings placed their hands upon Vince’s and smiled. None of them wanted their mother to leave them, but fate wasn’t kind to those who were weak.

Only the strong can do as they please.

with shaking hands he held it, “My sons, my daughters listen… all the money I’ve saved up is hidden under the cabinet, take it. I know… it’s not much, but it should help you wherever life may lead you.

Next is… by chance before the kidnappers came by to take Rune away… I met a man wearing brilliant blue robe when walking… home from the field’s saying,” she pauses, gasping for air. “He was looking for a person that had just awakened their magic and was likely looking for you.

I… I didn’t trust him, but he might be the only chance you kids have… to save your big sister Rune. Now go, pack up your things… and leave this woman to meet her end.”

Sadness showed on the faces of her children, and some started to sob. With the last of her strength, she moved her free hand to silence them.

“Don’t worry about me… Take this card and head to the Tavern of dragons. Ask… ask for Master Mo *gasp* leave together your brothers and sisters. Now go, or even in death I shall not forgive you for forsaking your family!”

Vince wiped the stained tears off his cheek and nodded fiercely to his mother's words, bowing his head towards her over and over again, “Your son shall carry out your will or the heavens shall strike me down trying!”

Then Nena, Sol, and Luna protested but were given a cold glare from Vince, which was made all the more terrifying by the jagged scar underneath his chin that ran up his cheek, shutting them up instantly.

Everyone but Rune followed Vince’s lead and bowed to their mother before gathering everything they could carry on their backs. Rune kept holding onto her Mother's hand the entire time….

‘Rune must feel like it was her fault for this injury,’ Mother thought.

But who can blame the heavens for being too weak?

The mother could only blame herself for her powerlessness. Shaking these useless feelings away, she motioned Rune to come closer.

Startled, Rune moved her ear above her mother's lips, still wet with blood.

With her dying breath, “I don’t blame you for my death… live on for me in my stead and take care of your brothers and sisters… You’re… their… mother... now……”

Her thoughts drifted towards Vince, she knew he would keep her children in order after her death. He was the second child she had taken into her home and turned out to be the eldest of her children.

Taking everything seriously and doing everything she told him to do with no backtalk, Vince always moved with a purpose. Of the nine he was the most mysterious, arriving before her door covered in countless wounds. Rune cared for the boy for weeks while she went to work in the fields. She felt that the wounds were too much for such a small child, but surprisingly he survived his ordeal. Eventually the children looked to him for guidance and he was accepted into their family. These kids had come one by one into her life. Out of all the years she had lived, these last few had been the happiest few years in her life.

‘Please… may the… heavens… watch… over my… beloved children…………..

SCENE 4 - The passing

Rune watched silently as her mother passed away, smiling blandly with tears running like rivers down her cheeks. Her face soon turned demonic as she clenched her hands into fists, drawing blood as the feelings powerlessness and hatred washed over her in waves. Rune's fingers twitched as the urge to go on a blood-soaked rampage started to consume her reason. Her mother didn’t deserve such an end.

But remembering the words her mother left her and the smile on her mother's face as she died, Rune's urge for slaughter fell away. Cooling her thoughts for revenge, she focused on how to keep her siblings safe.

The room went silent as the packing ceased. It was visible from her face that their mother had passed on.

Tears once again streamed down their faces and in at that moment, Rune realized something. The true meaning of the words ‘the strong rule the weak’. If she was strong enough Mother wouldn’t have died... If she was strong none of this would have happened… If she was stronger... she could have killed those men without anyone dying. If only...she was stronger...

Rune’s cloudy eyes transformed into a focused glare shining with an eerie light, “But we shall move on, as mother wanted… I shall focus all of my energy to become stronger, to protect you all in her stead!”

Rune and Vince, moving with newfound determination, led their brothers and sisters along the east path.

The sun was slowly sinking into the sky as the siblings walked with their stuff held within ragged sheets.

They moved towards the Tavern of Dragons, their only sliver of hope.

Looking back at their former home she could see through the shabby window see the blood-soaked blanket covering her mother. She clenched her teeth, knuckles whitening, but there were no more tears. Only pure hatred danced within her green eyes while holding her left arm that underneath her clothes lay a small silver bangle embedded nine water lotuses into the frame shined with a streak of light for but a moment.

One thought rang inside her mind, a searing blade twisting her and her beliefs into pure madness.

Rune walked forward vowing to get stronger, to never lose anyone she held dear ever again…

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. ThaneD

ThaneD Member

Reading List:
    Link

Chapter 2 - Scene 1- Vince’s Worry

The world was nothing more than an amalgamated mess of stench. Of rot. Of disease.

The slums were a place where crime ran unopposed, unchallenged, and unnoticed. Being killed for no other reason than being in the wrong place at the wrong time was commonplace in this den of detritus. The inhabitants tried their hardest to get ahead in life, even if that meant walking over the corpse of friend and foe alike.

Buildings were made out of anything that the people could swindle or steal. Shacks made of shabby stone and scrap with nothing more than bits and chunks of wood holding them together. Roads were nothing more than muddy ruts of boot prints and bile.

What should have been canals leading to commerce and community had deteriorated into nothing more than promises of woe and misery as passersby had turned to disposing of their litter and refuse haphazardly into crudely dug ditches, perpetuating the unbearably overwhelming odors of decay and death.

He often wondered why Mother took them in. Why did she take the chance to raise us? Maybe he would never understand why she did, but she saved both his life and Rune’s by doing so. For that, Vince swore that he would forever cherish the time spent in their small shack.

The siblings had wrapped themselves in cloth, trying to hide their features.Though this disguise would work for a little while, it wouldn’t take long before the kidnappers came for Rune. Vince took charge, keeping his wits about him. People both dead and alive lay on the side of the mud and stone roads. They all wore dead expressions you couldn’t really tell who was alive. Vince guessed there might be informants working for the slavers hidden within the shadows of the shacks.

They had to tread carefully while taking the main roads. Even in the slums, the slavers wouldn’t dare attack out in the open when light still burns in the sky.

Vince knew they couldn’t count on the corrupted guards, and by trying to contact an ‘innocent’ guard, he would be risking the lives of his siblings. Most guards were a righteous bunch that spoke ideals, but they never helped clean up the streets and instead curried favor with those lying nobles. The only reason why this city remains still standing is because the guard director Yang Sei kept the guards in line as much as he could so that the city didn’t have flowing rivers of blood running down the streets.

Two-headed crows flew in the sky and hovered around bodies, landing upon the dead and picking even the bones clean. The crows flew lazily from body to body, and a few children even tried to catch the crows to eat them. Vince watched on, not caring in the slightest about the common scene in front of him.

The siblings passed by a church with a boy speaking fanatically about his great god Maou and how the ‘caring’ church treated him with insanity clearly contained within his voice. Vince noticed that the boy was missing an eye and an arm and turned his head away in disgust. Anyone with half a brain knew that the church of Maou ate human flesh as a way to *cleanse* the body.

The church of Maou, spreading far and wide since three hundred years ago, didn’t help the poor souls in the kingdom, but were one of the tumors that spread like cancer. The greedy priests and nuns all gave into their desire for human flesh and gold.

Why did you think no one ever went to the shelter they offered? Because they would be killed slowly, eaten piece by piece while being 'cleansed from sin'. Cases of parents selling their children to the church was a common practice.

That’s why Mother said this place was the city of hell, where many of souls had been swallowed whole by the demons that lurk within both the shadows and the light. The nobles, the church, the slave traders, many both good and bad had joined them only to die by their hands.

Vince never wanted this for Rune…

Nena pulled his hand, shifting him away from the thoughts that drowned him and giving him a small smile. He held his tears and pulled her close, he had to stay strong for his siblings.

He thought to himself, ‘Mother was our light in the darkness, keeping us out of trouble. I don’t know where we would’ve been without you. I just hope the path you set before us is the right one…

What is this Tavern of Dragons anyway? Why haven’t I ever heard of it before? I should have asked before… Never mind I can only believe in my mother’s words.’

The group moved east, coming ever closer to the city’s center, with each step towards where they hoped the Tavern of Dragons lay.

Xue’s blue eyes shone under the rags, “Elder brother, why not have Ren and Rune take the Royal Guard exams?”

Vince sighed, “There are reasons; First we can’t wait for three days outside the exam’s doors. Second, if we go back to the house we’ll be kidnapped and used by the slavers as leverage for Rune, then they’ll kill us after getting her.

Everyone grew silent and continued on the path.

Scene 2 - Fatty and Slim

The slum’s buildings got better looking as the group moved towards the center of the city, and as they moved close to their destination they prayed the rest of the trip would be safe. It took them a total of two hours until they finally saw the outline of the Tavern of Dragons. By now the slavers should have already picked up their scent, time was not on their side and they could only hope that this would work.

This wasn't a place made from cheap stone and trash off the street. Towering over eight-stories, the building's azure dragon design gave off a majestic feeling of warrior spirit and caused both Nena's and Luna's eyes to light up.

It was impossible for the slums to have such a high-end place, and if Vince remembered right, this building wasn't here before.When did it get here?

The front of the building had a huge sign hanging from the gate reading ‘Tavern of Dragons’. A statue of a black obsidian dragon fighting a fierce white jade tiger was placed in the seen through the open gate and two guards stood in front, one tall and skinny, the other short and fat. They were dressed in black robes and carried fierce expressions, scaring the three little ones, Nene, Luna and Sol.

Unmoved by their threatening gazes, Vince moved forward not worried in the slightest, but the two guards stopped him in his tracks.

““HALT!”” The fatty took the lead and spoke up, “What business do you people have here? If you have nothing then be gone before we become impolite!”

Nena gripped onto Xue’s clothing; she was scared of these frightening men. In response Xue stared coldly at the two men, as if her gaze could kill the two. Without a single thought everyone surrounding Nena, like fierce tigers protecting their cub and ready to pounce on Vince’s order.

Standing calmly with a smile on his face, Vince spoke, “I wish to speak to Master Mo, he had given this card to my late Mother. He told her if she found an awakened mage to get in contact with her. The mage is my sister Rune, so sirs is Master Mo in right now? The matter is very urgent.”

The fat man was shell-shocked as he stared at the card in Vince's hand, his face instantly changed from fierce to humble, even a tad bit pale. Who knew this fierce fat tiger would turn into a little fat kitten just by Vince calling the name of his boss!

The skinny one bowed a bit, “Please follow me! I shall take you all to the guest room. Brother fatty, go tell Master Mo that guests have arrived!”

Without another word, skinny led them into the tavern, and Vince felt that weight had been taken off his shoulders. He had long ago noticed the hundreds of shadows lurking in the surrounding buildings, their cold greedy eyes watching every movement he and his siblings made. Hopefully, Master Mo could help them, otherwise...

Scene 3 - The slave trading leader

A small headed man made haste, bowing towards a man in white robes, “Boss the awakened girl just entered a blue building called Tavern of Dragons, what are your orders?”

The nicely dressed man with a sinister expression picked up his goblet. The goblet was white, made out of a man's skull and the handle was made of various bones, glued together by hardened crimson wax. Tipping the skull to his lips the stench of blood overflowed as the man savored the blood like fine wine.

He placed the goblet down on a buff slave’s back, and snapping his fingers another slave filled the goblet to the brim with a ruby stained bottle, “Oh? Excellent work Number Five! I shall reward you ten silver coins for finding the awakened little girl!”

Number Five bowed to his boss, “Big boss is too kind, and lowly one does not deserve such fortune.”

The white-robed man chuckled while nodding faintly; he had groomed Number Five in the great art of boot licking and it had obviously borne fruit, “Mhmm, good job Number Five! Nonetheless, I shall reward you a night with the finest of women from the Purple Jade Palace.”

Number Five kowtowed to his boss excitedly, “Long live the Big Boss! What are your orders?”

Smiling evilly the white-robed man picked up his skull goblet and with a single gulp greedily swallowed all the blood within before crushing it with his bare hands, “Kill all the little shits! Leave none alive except the awakened girl. Humph they dare run away from me! They shall pay with their lives!”

Scene 4 - A swordsman's wish

Ren didn’t know what to think, his mind kept drawing blanks midst walking till know, ‘Why? Why did mother block the knife? Out of hatred he had killed the man who stabbed his mother, but what now? What was his goal now that there's a hole in his chest.’

Ren sat there with a torrent of thoughts as he and his eight siblings waited, ‘What can I do? Can I protect my brothers and sisters? Ha! I couldn’t even protect mother, so how could I protect them with this pathetic strength? It didn’t help that this Master Mo was a magician afterall he was a swordsman.’

He sighed, faintly wishing this Mo guy turned out to be a master swordsman so he could learn sword arts and kill all those who dare hurt his family… so he wouldn’t be helpless once again.

While seething with anger and self-loathing, despair engulfed Ren's mind while watching the little one sit their as if their souls were missing. The shock of their mother dying in front of them was still fresh in their minds. They wouldn’t have moved it it weren't for Vince forcing them to move to escape the slavers; even Ren felt a heavy weight atop his heart.

Turning his head Ren gazed at the youngest, Nena knowing that it had to have hit her the hardest afterall she was the most attached to their mother. The grief washed over him it was all his fault, if only he was strong if only he had been faster! Mum had kept them kept them safe, showed them how to read, fed them, and damn well tried to keep them dressed!

Holding back his tears, Ren remained strong and showed little emotion. He had to stay strong for them, as the second oldest brother he would show that even when things go bad you must move forward!

There would always be time later to mourn for their mum, but right now was not the time! They needed to get to this Master Mo to take them as apprentices, hell even servants would work! This was the only path for Rune’s survival that they could think of, and Ren could only pray that it worked...

That freak Cao wouldn't let them get away, Ren knew of him as one of the top ten most dangerous men not to mess within the kingdom. Cao led three over three hundred thugs and was under the protection of a noble, making him one of the most powerful figures in the slums. The worst part that Ren remembered was that the man liked to turn skulls into wine glasses, drinking blood and eating flesh out of them in some form of sick pleasure.

Ren returned from his thoughts and he sat respectfully on the couches provided by the skinny black-robed man, calmly drinking the tea served to them by some black-robed maidens.

After about the time it takes to boil a kettle of tea, the sound of footsteps coming down the hallway could be heard. The siblings tensed up as the sound approached them; this person had their life and death within his hands.

The first to see this ‘Master Mo’ turned out to be Ren, who was sitting closest to the door. Unexpectedly the first thing he noticed was the sword carried on Master Mo’s waist, which piqued his interest. Then he gazed up and caught a quick glimpse of the man’s face before feeling his soul tremble violently.

Master Mo had long, thick black hair; with dancing crescents hanging in each eye, one green, one blue seemingly tattooed to his light purple pupils. His eyebrows were as sharp as swords and he walked forward aloof and proud. His expression was bone chilling, not like killing intent but more like a cold winter that never stopped snowing.

His robe contained various eye-catching patterns but loosely hung off his figure, as if casually thrown on. The robe seemed to tell a story of a war between a Winged Lion and Land Dragon, fighting to the bitter end.

Hastily Ren cried to his siblings, “Don’t look at him in the eyes!” He feared that they would be injured permanently under Master Mo's gaze, the lucky getting off with serious injuries while the unlucky could lose their minds, becoming permanently stupid.

Hearing his cry Master Mo noticed the problem. Much to Ren’s relief retracted he his aura slightly and bowed his head slightly in apology. He spoke in a deep voice that loomed over the room, suffocating the youths with a faint pressure, “My apologies young ones, did I frighten you? I forgot myself, having just left my training room. My fat guard told me… Ah yes, you are the newly awakened magician and also… you correct?”

He pointed towards Vince, the oldest of the siblings, making the sibling’s minds reel with a thunderous boom!

Vince was a magician!

Vince smiled warily, not moved in the slightest, “How did you…”

“Notice?” Master Mo smiled at him, “You need not worry; most low-level mages wouldn’t be able to detect you, seeing as how well you’ve hidden yourself. Not unless they have my eyes that is.”

Sensing the air turning awkward, Ren spoke up, “Master Mo, the three of us have come looking to become your disciples. I hope that you don't mind that we brought our siblings, as there was no one at home to look over them.”

Master Mo was startled and glanced at Ren, sizing him up before speaking, “You want to be my disciple? When you’re not even awakened? Why should I bother considering you?”

Ren rose up and bowed to Master Mo with his eyes blazing, “I wish to spar against you Master Mo, one swordsman to another, to prove my worth!”

Master Mo, as if suddenly understanding, gave a faint smile to this hot-blooded youth and consented, “You have no chance to win against me, but I shall allow you to spar against Fatty. If you win, you can become my disciple.”

Bowing his head once again, Ren felt he had to do his best to show his abilities, “Thank you for this chance Master Mo!”

“Yes yes, Fatty, take him to the training room and test him.”

Seeing how eager Ren was to test his skills, Fatty’s blood began boiling and his small black eyes shined as he led Ren to another room.

Scene 5 - A simple dream of a swordsman

Ren and the fat robed man entered the vast hundred meters long training room; the floor, walls, and ceiling were all made out of a crisp redwood that smelled like apples. There were various types of weapons on the weapon’s rack, from light to heavy weapons everything both long and short was available.

Fatty walked to a rack and picked up two wooden swords, throwing one with a grin towards Ren. Without batting an eye, Ren caught the wooden sword and took a stance, ready for anything fatty would throw at him.

With a stern expression, the black-robed Fatty pulled out a stick of incense and stuck it in the middle of the room. With a snap of his fingers, a black-robed maiden appeared from outside apparently waiting for his command.

Fatty moved to the other side of the room, holding his sword causally by his side, “You have until this stick of incense burns away to impress me! Understood?”

Ren nodded vigorously, “I understand Lord Fatty! Please be on guard, I wish not to injure you too much!”

Fatty’s face flushed with anger, “What! You, little brat, think you're stronger than me? Fine! Let's see your ability. Begin!”

With the snap of his fingers, the black-robed woman lit the stick of incense, officially starting the battle. Charging forward with the sword in hand, Ren placed his killing intent into the sword, and with his eyes gleaming he yelled, “Let’s FIGHT!”

Fatty stood there unfazed, ready to receive Ren’s sword. With his guard up and eyes shining, Fatty dodged backward with ease.

Cut. Slash. Hack. Stab.

No matter what he tried, Ren couldn’t land a hit on Fatty despite the man’s large size, seemingly he turned out to be agiler than a fish in water… A fat fish at that. Yet, Ren wasn’t discouraged in the slightest as he was still testing out the waters!

He thought to himself, ‘I need to move Faster. Even Faster than this. FASTER!!!’’

Banishing his sword all the distracting thoughts went away, thoughts such as his fate, the fate of his siblings, and even thoughts of his mother's death. He let it all go and became one with the sword. Eyes streaking with the gleam of enlightenment, Ren’s sword became faster, becoming more dominating and pushing Fatty into guarding whilst keeping a perfect pace.

This made even Fatty, who had a calm appearance inwardly praise Ren’s swordsmanship with awe, ‘He’s just a mortal and yet his swordsmanship is so rhythmic and natural to the eye that even I, who has trained in the sword for ten years, admire this youth’s level of insight.’

*Wack!*

In the mists of Fatty’s thoughts, Ren had found an opening and landed a hit on Fatty’s arm! Fatty became angry at himself for his utter carelessness and raised his sword, slashing towards Ren. Startled, Ren hurried to block, he didn’t think the Fatty would attack back! Ren took a sword blast to the gut, pushing him back a few meters and taking the air out of his lungs for a moment. The two began to start fighting seriously, hitting each other with no regard to safety, blocking blows when needed and dodging when things grew too hairy.

The bruises and welts built upon their bodies, for the rest of the stick of incense the fight went on as such. That is until the black-robed maiden broke up the fight after they kept going when the stick burned out. Ren didn’t want to be the first to fall! They both nodded, as if a manly bond united them, and fell heavily on the floor sweating as the welts started swelling. They were both sore and didn’t want to move as much as an inch from the pain.

Fatty turned to the back robed and politely asked, whilst breathing heavily, “Junior sister! Bring us some wine to ease the pain!”

The black-robed women hesitated for a bit, making Fatty’s face turn dark; terrified the women quickly left and in a few minutes had brought two jugs of wine. Fatty smiled as he took the jugs from her and gave one to Ren.

Ren took it and weirdly asked, “This is wine? Why do we need to drink it?”

Fatty, who was just about to drink his jug after popping the plug off, looked at Ren shock as if he was looking at a weird creature.

“You haven’t drunk wine boy? Were you born under a rock?”

Ren merely nodded, his family was poor and every penny was used to buy food, the wine was a luxury they couldn’t afford. Naturally, he had never tasted such a drink, when he told fatty this Fatty looked pained as if he thought of him as something pitiful.

“I’m not that pitiful!”, thought Ren.

“Enough! A man who hasn’t tasted wine is no man at all! Come, let us drink!”

*hiccup*

Ren never knew wine was so good! And brother Fatty said to him that there is even better wine than this! He must try them!

Clenching his fist to the sky he swore an oath to the heavens, “I will one day search for the greatest wine in the entire world and taste it!”

Fatty laughed, “If you do, I wish for a taste lad haha!”

Embarrassed for saying that out loud Ren kept drinking the wine in silence...

Scene 6 - Apprentices

After Ren and fatty left, Master Mo laughed and glanced at the other eight, “Which of you eight wish to become my disciple?”

Without hesitation, Rune bowed, “Disciple greets master! Only Disciple has one request!”

Master Mo looked at Rune then the children around her, “You wish to take the rest of them as well?”

Rune bowed even deeper than before, “Please, they are my Family!”

Master Mo looked at her, his eyes suddenly turning sharp, “Even if that means you have to work six times as hard?”

Vince didn’t feel odd about what Master Mo had said and bowed deeply, “I shall take half, no… all the burden from my sister! I wish to become your disciple!”

Master Mo stared deeply into Vince’s eyes, trying to see if he was serious.

Vince saw this and rose to his feet, yelling to the heavens, “If you let me become your disciple and take in my younger brothers and sisters in, I swear to the heavens I shall never betray you and will become your most loyal disciple or may the heavens strike me down!”

Master Mo looked at him with surprise and then nodded deeply, ‘This brat knows how much a promise to heavens means… good. Good! He is worthy of becoming my disciple. Even if that witch is forcing me to take them in.’

Master Mo nodded gently, “Such resolution at such a young age… No need to swear to the heavens, you are too young and too weak to do so. I shall take you nine in as my disciples. Now kowtow to me children, and we shall enter a bond of master and disciples.”

Vince was happy that he made the right choice, nodding to his brothers and sisters, they began to kowtow.

With a kowtow from both Master Mo and the eight they became master and disciples.

After a half hour, later Fatty and Ren walked in.

Both of them were beaten black and blue but were smiling and laughing while drinking from bottles of sake.

Master Mo, surprised at the scene questioned Fatty and his response was, “A genius, an absolute genius! If I used my cultivation base in the fight I would have no doubt won, alas even then he would give me half a fight haha!”

Ren chuckled with a red face, clearly drunk.

Rune was not happy about that and neither was Master Mo.

Veins popping from his headMaster Mo yelled, “WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO DRINK WHEN IT’S NOT EVEN YOUR BREAK TIME!”

“Eh?” Fatty turned pale from fright; they had such a great fight that he had forgotten he was still on guard duty!

Despite his size, Fatty moved faster than a three-tailed cheetah and bowed his head, “Master Mo, please forgive Fatty for drinking on the job. Ren is a genius swordsman and after a great battle, Fatty had forgotten he was on duty! Please spare Fatty from punishment!”

Skinny was snickering at the sight of Fatty getting a severe tongue lashing, yet he dared not utter a sound unless he wanted Master Mo’s wrath centered on him.

Master Mo calmed himself and sighed, “Is that so… Your name is Ren is that correct? Since you’ve passed, kowtow and we shall become master and disciple.”

Ren instantly sobered up with a slap across the back of the head from Rune and kowtowed to Master Mo. Fatty was sentenced to spend a week in the punishment room, with no food to eat for three days. The nine could only hear the Fatty’s mournful cries as he was dragged away by some other black-clothed men.

Master Mo sat there thoughtfully, eyes glinting fiercely, “Now that I have taken you as my disciples, your master shall take care of the pests outside!”

4. ThaneD

ThaneD Member

Reading List:
    Link

Chapter 3 - Scene 1 - Strength

Master Mo led his disciples outside followed by a dozen black-clothed men and women; his aura suppressed into a point. Every motion he made seemed to carry a bone-chilling purpose. As he exited the Tavern he seemed like a tiger in human skin, ready to tear his prey asunder.

He turned back, facing the black-robed outer disciples, the crescent tattoo in his eyes dancing like blades made for reaping, “Protect them if anything should occur or I shall have your heads!”

The black-robed men bowed their heads, clasping a hand over their hearts in a single smooth fashion, “May your will be done, Master Mo!”

With the fading daylight, shadows played upon the buildings like demons ready to devour man and beast alike.Three hundred men stalked out from within the darkness with eyes bathed in greed, armed with swords and knives made out of bone and steel. Their expressions reminded one of wolves and hyenas ready to jump on a fat lamb in the fading light.

After the mob appeared, a man sitting on a throne made of bones and skulls appeared with an expression of ecstasy. Six men and women carried him forward on their bloodied backs and hands, their expressions dull and lifeless, devoid of all emotion.

Master Mo had made preparations beforehand to conceal his aura, not wanting to startle them; he wanted to destroy the evil that ruined his good time. Yet despite his best efforts, his voice resounded in a domineering manner, making some in the mob shake with fear, “So you are the people troubling my students?”

The man sat in his throne with arrogance, not the slightest bit scared. He even leisurely took a sip of the blood within his goblet. He smiled, lips and teeth stained bloody red and shining in the fading sunset. He stared at Master Mo, eyes filled with scorn and ridicule as if he found an annoying fly.

The man stood up from his seat and laughed heavily, eyes changing from scorn to filled with coldness, staring directly at Master Mo, “I don’t know who you are and I don’t give a shit! I rule these streets, but since I’m a handsome and understanding leader. I’ll give you to the count of three tails to hand over the little shits or you'll regret pissing me off in the netherworld!”

Cracking his knuckles, Master Mo’s blood boiled, he turned his sideways towards the siblings, showing them a grin, “Lesson one my students! Always remember your bottom line!”

With his left-hand Master Mo slowly unsheathed his sword from his side, and as he did so the sword began to flicker in a frosty golden light. It wasn’t a long blade, merely a one-handed sword that seemed simple to the eye. No furnishings were on the blade and hilt, but its glow gave off a majestic air that couldn’t be called simple.

With his free hand, he summoned a snowstorm across the street, making it a winter wonderland... Of Death!

Wherever these snowflakes landed, various ice flowers a meter wide would bloom on the streets. The street started to fill with flowers that would bloom rapidly on top of each other, enclosing the space around the men. Soon, the street was filled with the sound of shouts and screams of three hundred men as the flowers squeezed and cut apart their body parts with ease.

Blood and limbs started to fly around, staining the icy flowers red and causing them to appear like blood lilies. The lucky died without knowing why; while others were torn limb from limb by the razor-sharp lilies.

One person was extremely unlucky and ate a snowflake only to have his body directly explode into a mass of blood and gore, dying the flower bloody red. The massacre was both beautiful and terrifying, lasted for just a short minute.

The only people left alive were the man on the throne who had clearly pissed himself, and the people carrying the large chair he sat on. Master Mo had intentionally left the man alive to allow the piss stained slaver to regret his actions before his death.

Master Mo coldly snorted, “All talk with no bite, eh? Now lesson two my students. Those who lack a backbone shall forever be weak, no matter how talented they are! Take this man for example; see how he bullies the weak for his own personal gain. This is not a true man! He is the scum of the earth and must be killed before he ruins more lives!”

Sword in hand, Master Mo strengthened the veins and muscles within his arm, causing it to bulge three times its normal size. The sword's size grew, quickly becoming a giant war blade and turning red as runes covered the face of the blade. He casually threw the war blade towards the white-robed piss stained man, the sword streaked through the air as fast as lightning!

In an instant, the war blade had cleaved the man in two.

Scene 2 - Weakness and Ideals

Master Mo flicked his wrist and the sword instantly disappeared, reappearing in his hand while slowly returning to its normal frosty golden glow. Sheathing his sword Master Mo then turned to his students.

The older kids had long since shielded the three younger siblings eyes; even if they had seen countless deaths before, it was nothing like this. Xue and Len were staring wide-eyed, their faces pale, clearly fearful of their new teacher.

Saran was as stoic as ever, with a thoughtful expression dancing in his eyes, he surveyed the scene as if awakened by his teacher's words. Rune stared at her teacher's work and the field of corpses, her eyes alight with understanding and a craving for the power hidden within.

Ren wasn’t looking at the scene anymore but was replaying what his teacher had just done with his sword. He replayed the whole scene over and over within his head, branding his master's sword strike into his memory.

Vince was disinterested in the whole matter, caught up in the distant memory of his mother. The first thing he did was to walk forward with heavy steps, splashing through the blood-soaked ground. Seeing this, Master Mo cleared a path for him with a wave of his hand. He walked through the field of red lilies and corpses unhindered. Sticking out of the ground in front of him stood a lone sword. Apparently, his teacher knew his intentions and agreed with them.

Step by step, the siblings watched on as he moved ever closer to the piss stained body. Eyes cold, Vince held the blunt blade within his hand as he grabbed the top half of the corpse and threw it on the ground, laying it out before he began to cut.

Chop… Chop... Over and over again, he brought the blade down. It didn’t have a sharp edge so the blood kept splattering on him and the surroundings, but eventually, the head came off the white robe man's bisected body. He reached down, picked the head off the ground and then turned back to his siblings.

Holding the head by the hair, he raised it in front of him and said with gratitude, “Thank you Master Mo! You’ve given us peace of mind and obtained our vengeance!”

Without another word, Vince stuck the useless sword in the ground and thrust the head down on the blade's handle, making sure there was no chance it would fall off. Master Mo had a profound look in his eyes, he knew what Vince was going to say next and approved.

Master Mo knew that this needed to be done for his students or they would never move on from the death of their mother. They needed to extinguish the demons that festered inside them. They needed an outlet for their rage, despair, and hatred, and the head of the man responsible made the perfect vessel.

Finished with his work, Vince called out to his brothers and sisters, "Come release your anger!"

Out of all the siblings, the one that walked out first was actually the youngest of them, Nena! She picked up a knife on the ground, walking slowly towards her brother. She held her head down, whilst tears streamed down her cheeks. When she reached the head, Vince could see the determination that shined in her eyes.

Raising the knife above her head she yelled full of anger and wrath, “This is for Mamma!”
    She stabbed and stabbed at the head’s left eye until it was a gooey paste of blood, brain and eye matter.

The twins came forward next; they cried and stabbed the head calling it vulgar names, permanently scarring it up to be unrecognizable.

Saran came up and simply cut out his tongue.

Xue punched and punched with her bare hands until the head broke all its teeth.

Len scalped the head.

Ren stabbed the other eye out.

Rune, seemingly in a trance, moved her hand above the disfigured face and melted away all the flesh until only a skull was left.

Vince finished it off by moving his hand over the skull; making a grasping motion, he completely crushed the head into dust.

After they let had let out all their anger, everyone but Rune and Vince passed out. Clearly, they were exhausted both physically and mentally from everything that happened today.
    With a nod, Master Mo made a gesture towards the black-robed men behind him with his hand, “Move them to their new room, my disciples have had a rough day.”

The group moved into the tavern and the men moved the siblings to a large room on the fourth floor.
    Master Mo, before he left with the men in black, gave one last remark, “I’ll let you guys have a three-day rest here. If you need anything, use this bell and a servant will come right away.”

Scene 3 - Lost

The only two people awake in the large and spacious room were Rune and Vince. They laid in bed together, a habit they had since they were young, the two held each other's hand, feeling no hint of embarrassment. For as long as they could remember, they had slept close together in order to keep warm in the harsh winter seasons.

Neither of them spoke, feeling too numb to talk. They had gotten their revenge, but so what? Their dear Mother was gone, and nothing would bring her back from the dead.

Rune suddenly grabbed Vince’s holey shirt and buried her face in his chest. Surprised, Vince didn’t know what to do to comfort her. On impulse, he slowly wrapped his arms around her and whispered into her ear, “It’s alright now... you can cry now, Sister. All our siblings are sleeping… You can let it out now.”

For the entire night, Rune cried her eyes out into Vince’s shirt until she fell asleep. For the next three days, the nine siblings rested their minds. During this time, Vince requested white mourning clothes for their Mother.

Once their master knew of their mother’s death, he had the black cloth men head to their house and carry their mother back in white sheets. Master Mo then made a concoction to stop her body from rotting and closed the corpse off in an empty room.

Scene 4 - I pray to the Sky

Len sat on the fourth floor, gazing out at the endless streets of the slums, ‘Master Mo said that when we into move to the Sectless Sect we’ll be able to give you a proper burial Mum. I think that’s what you would have wanted, to finally get out of this hellhole of a Kingdom and see the whole wide world.’

Len thought long and hard about what she and her siblings’ fate would be now that they would be following Master Mo. It was a habit she picked up because of her silent demeanor and because no one ever noticed her with the exception being her family, allowing to have her too much time on her hands.

As she sat on the ledge, provoking thoughts flew through her mind in an endless stream, making her head spin until she shook herself to get rid of the useless thoughts and began to pray.

She prayed to the sky, not to a god that never helped those in need, but to the sky that so that the wind would take her mother’s soul to new and unusual places.

She prayed to the earth that her mother’s soul would find happiness in the vast world called Volkin.

Finally, she prayed to the oceans so that her mother could drift calmly and without difficulties.

She kowtowed to the forces of nature for an entire day in the hope that her mother could find happiness in the next life. She didn’t eat, drink, or rest during it at all.

When her brothers and sisters found her and asked what she was doing, she merely smiled and said, “I’m praying for mother to live happily.”

They didn’t drag her away, instead opting to join her in her prayer.

Scene 5 - Drinking in your Memory

On their second day of mourning, the siblings had a great feast provided by Master Mo. They cried, they laughed, they sung high and low to the rhythm of the music played by the black-robed apprentices. The oldest drank fine wine with their Master while telling him stories about their mother, while the youngest drank fruit juice with a hint of wine in it. The siblings were enjoying themselves in the entertainment surrounding them.

Ren was grinning from ear to ear with a red face as he talked to Master Mo, “I remember this one time that mother and I went to the market street. And we saw the strangest thing, a man was using a frozen fish like a sword; fighting against someone using a broom handle! A crowd quickly formed around the two foes locked in combat.”

Master Mo laughed heartily, “Oh? Then what happened Apprentice, who won the fight?”

Ren gulped down another glass of wine and placed his empty cup down on the table; a thoughtful expression crossed his eyes as he lied back in his chair, “Well master, my mother didn’t like them fighting so she told me to go stop them.

Naturally, I agreed since I was part of the city guard and was told to uphold the law. I stepped in and quickly, subduing both men and giving them a stern warning not to fight in the city.

They were traveling foreigners from another country; turned out they were friends just having some fun. As luck would have it they didn’t give me any trouble and they went on their merry way.

The crowd then dispersed from the area much to my relief. I returned to my mother’s side and she gave me a hug, smiling and saying she was so proud of me. I’ll never forget that smile...”

Ren grew silent for a time, lost in thought. Vince noticed him moping and gave him a brotherly pat on the back, only to find out that Ren had passed out from drinking too much. With a laugh Vince excused himself and picked up Ren, carrying his drunken brother to bed with the help of a black-robed man.

Master Mo got up from his and said, “I think that’s enough for today, it’s getting late. Disciples, go follow your brothers to bed and get a good night’s sleep. Tomorrow is the last day of mourning.”

All seven in union spoke, “Yes master Mo!”

He watched as the seven youths exited the feast room, reminiscing about their late mother with happy expressions. Master Mo smiled as he noticed that the shadows within the sibling's hearts were noticeably weaker than before.

He then turned around and spoke to the black-robed men and women, “Leave... I wish to be alone.”

Everyone quickly left the room, leaving Master Mo alone, “So what do you think of them, Marley? Even if we were threatened by that witch to take care of them, those kids will make fine disciples. I wonder why she put on such a complex act to fool them all...

No matter, what's done is done. I know their manners need work, and that we haven’t yet tested their talents. But I feel they will go far on the path of martial dao as long as they can overcome their inner demons.”

As his words faded away, a woman wearing silver Taoist robes walked out of the shadows. An aura of grace-filled every movement she made and the scent of morning dew hung around her. A dragon bone mask covered most of her face, revealing only her charming lips and chin.

The woman smiled and nodded her head as she spoke in a melodious voice, “Indeed father, even though we were manipulated, I feel the same way. They have strong spirits, yet I think that Xue girl will have some problems... more than the rest. She fears her own beauty. If this isn't taken care of soon, it will affect her soul's foundation and she’ll quickly fall into a bottomless pit of no return.”

Master Mo sighed. With his cultivation, of course, he knew of this matter. He could see that of the nine, Xue had the most mental problems. He knew of only one item that could heal such a heavy wound was the mask his daughter currently wore.

Marley surprised Master Mo by taking off her mask without a second thought, “I’ll gift this mask to my junior sister when the time is right. I have long since healed the ‘problem’ from that year, father. I am sure I’m ready to face the world with my own power from now on.”

Master Mo suddenly moved with tears in his eyes, hugging his daughter tightly. Marley returned her father's hug and allowed him to silently weep on her shoulder; they remained like this for quite some time.

Scene 6 - Night of Tears

It was night time, and couldn't sleep with Ren's snoring rattling the windows. Wide awake, he had the urge to take his pillow and shut his dear elder up once and for all. But it was merely a fleeting thought he pushed aside as he rolled out of bed and walked towards the balcony for some fresh air.

Opening the door, he found Xue hugging a bottle of wine while looking at the stars; her yellow hair dancing rhythmically in the moonlight. Saren wondered why his big sister was standing out on the balcony. Getting a closer look Saren noticed the distant gaze in her eyes, a huge contrast from her usual cheery demeanor.

He closed the door and walked to her side, “Hey big sis, you couldn’t sleep too?”

Xue moved the bottle to her supple lips and took a large mouthful of wine, chugging it down like water and causing some of the scarlet red wine to drip down her neck. Saren tilted his head, having never seen Xue act this way.

Putting the now mostly empty bottle down, Xue took in a breath of fresh air before turning to Saren, “Little brother… Do you think beauty is a curse? I envy you, little brother. You have an average face that no one would pick out from a crowd… I hate to be made a prize of men, just because of how I look and not for how I am inside.

Mother thought the same way and maimed her features by working in the fields. I once tried to follow her example by carving up my face up with a knife when I started to work at the jade palace where I become a sun goddess in the eyes of greedy men, only for mother to stop me.

Even with our poor status, Mother didn't hesitate to buy expensive ink to hide me away. She made me promise that I would never think of harming myself in such a way again; she didn’t want me to turn into her. Now she’s gone, she never had a man court her, she never fell in love. The only thing she left in this world is us. And it scares-”

With tears in his eyes, Saren hugged Xue. He never knew his sister felt this way; it made him feel like a failure as a younger brother to not notice the pain his sister was going through.

He whispered into her ear, warming his sister’s chaotic heart, “Don’t worry sis… You have us, and we are not going anywhere anytime soon. Relax; I’ll stay with you for as long as you need me to be here.”

They stayed in each other’s embrace for a long time...

Scene 7 - Memories

Finally, on the last day of mourning, the nine siblings entered the room where lay their late mother. They each moved forward, one by one, and placed a flower on top of the sheet covering their dear mother.
    They each said something meaningful their mother had given them.

For Xue it was Love.

For Sol it was a Home.

For Nena it was a Family.

For Vince it was Peace.

For Rune it was Trust.

For Saren it was Self.

For Ren it was Honesty.

For Luna it was Happiness.

For Len it was Understanding.

On that day not a tear was shed by any of the nine. Only a faint smile spread across their faces as they thought about everything their mother had given them.

They sang a song mother had taught them, “The Storm of Lilies” and finally, they bowed and bid their farewells.

Only then did the three days of mourning end.

On the fourth day they weren’t dressed in rags or white robes; instead, they wore blue robes with patterns of white dragons coiling around the robe. They sat in the lotus position, awaiting their Master's teachings.

Master Mo sat in front of all of them, “Do you all know how to read?”

Sol proudly responded, “Mother and Big brother Vince taught us how to read!”

Master Mo nodded in response, “Good, that saves time. Now! Each one of you will step forward one by one and I shall test your aptitude!”