Qidian's Paywall

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ragnar, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatalStrings

FatalStrings Admiral: Third Celestial Armada

Reading List:
    Link
    also this 1 chapter per day is it per series or does it apply to the whole site?
    because if it is per whole site then anyone reading more than one series in QI is screwed

2. Dydreamr

Dydreamr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read my post, I did give them constructive criticism (and many others did too). Many people here are not opposed to the idea of paying, they are opposed to paying In this way. If they kept the status quo and made it possible to pay a subscription fee to get access to advanced chapters ahead of time, I think many people would be very happy with them. Instead, you have to pay by the chapter, don’t know what you’re getting ahead of time, and may have to pay for thousands of chapters. Also, you have no way of cancelling or getting your money back if they don’t deliver.

EternalFall and tornberry like this.
  3. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I would probably pay if that was the case, but the current system is like a microtransaction as far as I know. Microtransactions are the worst type of business model, and on this case, we will have to keep paying $$ per-chapter in order to catch up to the latest chapter. The free spirit stones could help, but not really if people are reading more than one titles. I learnt it the hard way after spending around 1k dollars or more on one gacha-system game, when I could've bought like 2 or 3 full games instead. It is the same with this, I could have spend my money better by buying a full volume books instead of paying per chapters.

Well, anyway, I'm done with my rant. I'm definitely annoyed by the free-releases cut, but it's not that big of a deal assuming they won't change the free-releases policy anymore. I might make an account later to help with the stones, but I will definitely not paying for it.

EternalFall likes this.
  4. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, I just have to ask... $1000 on a gacha? Which could've bought '2 or 3' full games? What type of full games are you playing that costs $300-$500 each?!?!

5. wilico98

wilico98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Prob 1000$ money of his country?

EternalFall likes this.
  6. TheLonerLion

TheLonerLion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really mind with what Qidian doing as long as I can read new chapter by waiting. Most of the time I wait until the chapter hit a few dozens.... Then I'll read it... It doesn't really affect me. Just like in patreon... Translator give their patreon advance chapters. What's the difference?

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  7. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was just an exaggerated example, but still my point stand. And I'm quite sure I counted it right, though it's just a rough estimation. Around 800~1000 US dollars. It's on a gacha game called Fate/Grand Order.

edit : yep, i just counted it. 12 packs of 9800 yen = 117,600 yen = $1072. it's kind of embarrassing, but it really had crossed $1k dollars...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    rakazzt likes this.
  8. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    WIll they be releasing the free chapters (like they've been doing now) or is it those "x free chaps a week" you can read by unlocking them?
    edit: nvm, I discovered I get free chaps in the end, time to stack them all

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    I was under assumption that reading is a leisure.

Also, read this quote.

You really believe that they pay royalties to their translators?

Uhh, nah. I responded to you because your math is misinforming people.

It seems you didn't read the disclaimer when I first replied to you nor the part where it's better to unlock chapters at a later time to catch up.

I dare you check all my posts on this thread and there's not one where I praised QI. Their method is one that is likely to fail, especially that most readers would prefer free.

If you want to screw them over you should spread that paying later is cheaper, not the other way around.

QI wants people like you who read their site to feel impatient and buy chapters right away. Don't follow their plan and they would lose more than what they were losing before (IF they were indeed losing)

somnious likes this.
  10. archn3m29

archn3m29 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Summoner Wars. Battlefront 2. FML.

EternalFall likes this.
  11. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    Summoner Wars, my money ;-;

AliceShiki and archn3m29 like this.
  12. archn3m29

Reading List:
    Link
    600 USD, 4 nat 5s, and the weakest or most nerfed ones at that, because fuck you, from com2us

AliceShiki and wilico98 like this.
  13. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    6 nat 5s, 3 Teshars truly ez money

AliceShiki and archn3m29 like this.
  14. archn3m29

Reading List:
    Link
    worth every single penny!

AliceShiki and wilico98 like this.
  15. I your Father

I your Father Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm reading novels on qidian.
    I still hate the fact that they tried to f**k wuxiaworld a few month earlier but yes i'm reading their novels.I do it because i used to follow many of the novels they post on their site before they claim monopol and see no reason not to read them.
    I'm writing this post because yesterday, Qidian changed their adwall and made it a paywall and unfortunately , for me, they were all novels i currently follow.The thing is considering that we "free premium" users are always behind by half chapters a week and as long as the translator continue to translate at this pace, this novel will be fully translated at the end of this year.But considering that i am a "free premium" user i won't be able to read this novel until the end of next year providing that i haven't dropped it.
    After that i'm now considering either completely dropping it or stop and wait till the completed translation are free.
    The thing is came to read chinese novel mainly because i was tired of japanese novel male mc's(most of them were sissies) and found stellar transformation which opened that door to me. Since then i've read many others chinese novels but few of them moved me like and as i read i find the same problems i've met with japanese novels, it's hard to find originals story.Most chinese Mc's are carbon copy of each other when you've read a cultivation novel it's like you've read them all.Of course one can still find some originals novels among all of those present but they are but a few.
    The few novels i haven't ever regretted to read are: stellar transformation, coiling dragon, i shall seal the heaven, horizon bright moon saber, warlock of magic world...
    Note that i've only quoted finished novel because it's at the end that you can say that you didn't regret reading it, that it wasn't a waste of my time.
    Now i've got a few novel to read and i've dropped some of them.I'm still reading till the moment i think that i see nothing interesting anymore(when the plot is reused again and again and the novel is dying because it's same f**king thing).
    Right now considering the situation with qidian and i have no hope that the situation will improve and since chinese novels favors quantity over quality(not all of them but most) and like to have both, i will reduce the amount of chinese novels i'll read.
    Qidian new policy can only make my life better because firstly i'm not ready to pay to read chineses novels of low quality and secondly because their are countless novels better than those of qidian on novelupdates.I will read less but those i'll read will be a far better experience, i will waste less time to read on qidian and make better choice.
    I personnaly think people shouldn't adhere to their premium offer because you're just wasting money and you'll realise that with all the money you've spent on qidian you coud've used it buy better books.
    Of course i understand that the authors, translator and editors needs money and that it shouldn't be free.Still when i hear that in fact qidian put that paywall in order to get access to all the money involved in the translation process and that both authors, translators and editors are only seeing the tip of the money i can't help but be disgusted(these rumors might be true or not but considering qidian's past actions i can't help but think it's true).
    To conclude i think you should just see that paywall as an opportunity to wash your reading list and consider whether or not it's worth it to continue to follow it and try new novels and you might in fact benefits from it.I might wait for some novels until the complete translation or ask for spoilers and drop it.

16. sunnyboy

sunnyboy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a tl;dr version?

As for the premium program itself... I don't read any novels on their web anymore anyway, but if I were to... I would not buy "spirit stones" (or w/e) just to read some chapters faster. If it doesn't disrupt or change the ongoing "promised" chapters and the premium are just bonuses like if you were a patreon.. then it's w/e.

17. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone loves freemium

18. Twilightbladevorve

Twilightbladevorve Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah maybe a lot more people would support them if more of the funding we give them go to the translators, editors etc.

19. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    omg my eyes it hurts.

Shield Loyalist and Fallion like this.
  20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    there~
    really~
    when you read read novel consist of so much filler which usually on china webnovel~ you should learn skill search da main gist of a chappy, main gist of arc and main gist of da story~

same reason can used to read MTL

gah!.png also damn merge thread make me unable to post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.