Discussion Why so many Koreans novels are translated and not japanese ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tsuru55, Feb 4, 2018.

?

KR novels better then JP ?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you should say the same to anyone who answers that that Korean novels or Japanese novels are better. I’m sure they haven’t read all the novels either~

Terepi likes this.
  2. Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im your average emo boi, average looks, grades, family, dog, cat, all. I get throw in a another World but Im still average... Better be lowkey... I'm so average but why Im loved by the most beautiful of girls?

3. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    Then stop reading JP isekai novels and look for different tags.

Seriously? Just read LN version instead of WN if you complain about story quality.

True. But mostly for cultivation. Try some drama (No, I was just joking. Don't.).

1. Are you Japanese? If not, then don't say "sorry for my english." There's no need to apologize for that with your English skill.
    2. And don't forget JN language has a different syntax then CN which is very much the same with English. ( I don't know about KR language.)

Baka-tsuki is going to be 12 years old soon while amazon will be 2 decades old on 5th July 2018 (founded in 1994 ^_^).

Because you're a skeleton and she's a dog-kin girl. :blobrofl:

4. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    It's simple: Japanese novels are being translated, they're just being translated officially and being sold in bookstores and on Amazon. So they don't show up on NU.

And that's the reason people don't fan translate JP light novels usually: if a light novel is popular enough to get a fan translation, it's almost guaranteed to be popular enough to be licensed by people who would DMCA a fan translation.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not a stereotype if it comes from extensive experience. Some JP novels are good, but for the most part if I have to read one more chapter about cooking I'm going to shoot myself.

otaku31 and Wujigege like this.
  6. Kari_translations

Kari_translations Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe the reason some believe that Japanese novels are bad, besides the cliche thing, is that many translators pick whatever novel they find at the top of Japanese rankings.
    What's popular for Japanese people might no be so well received in other countries.
    Also one reason I think the Japanese novels have a bad rep is that many people try to translate what they perceive as popular and not something they like.
    At least for me, I wouldn't translate something I haven't read. Which is what some people do.
    And as for the thread's question, I believe there are more Japanese translations compared to Korean ones atm in NU. But I also agree that many of them are bad, be it the story or the translation's quality. For me, reading Google translate quality translations of an awesome novel is the same as reading a well translated piece of crap. Not enjoyable.

7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Very wrong.
    I doubt any of your favorite Korean author have won any international literary awards compare to the Japanese who have won a lot.
    Stop comparing amateur Japanese authors to published Korean and even Chinese ones.
    If people translate Japanese novels that are published at publishers that are equivalent to munpia eg Alphapolis that require money to purchase the novels you can see the difference in quality.
    Unlike China and Korea, Japanese media have a lot of artistic freedom. As early as about 20 years ago, smoking lead to comics getting banned in Korea. Any comic drawing style that was similar to Japanese manga was also banned.
    If you compare boys with men. Of course the men will look better.
    Compare men with men and Korean media doesn't touch Japanese.
    China thrived because you had authors like Louis Cha who reside in Hong Kong and could operate outside the influence of the Mainland.

Wheee!!!
    That was cathartic had to deal with a lot of snotty brats on here.
    Don't mind my tone, it wasn't directed at you
    TD;LR You are comparing Korean novels by authors who earn money from their work with Japanese novels written by Average Joes and Janes just starting out

Ddraig likes this.
  8. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    it's easier to translate???

it's easier to translate...

Ddraig and Wujigege like this.
  9. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate questions like these. people start throwing around generalizations.

Ddraig and AliceShiki like this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wanted to point out that the biggest amount of novels on NU are actually Japanese.

Someone made a thread with a graphic on it in the past~

11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said otherwise though. Just to be clear I am not implying that jp novels are superior to other language novels but they are neither inferior.

That's just poor choice of novels on your part coz there are plenty of novels even completed ones that dont have such chapters. Your argument is similar to saying that person A has only read the cn books with rapist mcs and they conclude that all cn books have rapist mcs which is false.
    It might be just difference of opinion between us but give them a proper try.

12. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    As @Wujigege and others pointed out, it's more a matter of the state of the novel industries in the different countries. The Japanese stuff that gets translated and put on here is mostly the amateur, Syosetu stuff; you're basically looking at the equivalent of fanfiction or RRL. On the other hand, the KR and CN stuff is generally written by people who actually do it for a living (though webnovel business models in those countries encourage certain flaws, like the endless tedium of CN novels or the abrupt endings of KR novels).

Japan has some incredible literature (and for historical and societal reasons, in my opinion a more vibrant and varied literary scene than Korea and China), but very little of that authorship is going to be done via webnovel.

Ah, plus, and I'm just generalizing here, but most Japanese translators seem to be weebs trying to learn the language, whereas most Korean and Chinese translators actually learnt it as a primary language.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz~
    there more pop up KR translator for reason IDK~
    similar with when CN translator pop up for reason I don't care~
    raccoon bread.jpg

14. the_cheater17

the_cheater17 17 is not my age

Reading List:
    Link
    1. No.
    2. I don't forget, because I don't know. Thanks for the information.

This is true.

sweed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.