Qidian's Paywall

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ragnar, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FutureBoy

FutureBoy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant they will not be released on regular frequency like 3/day

2. Ice Witch

Ice Witch Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm.....

3. marksteele

marksteele Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WRONG. They reduced free chapters to 1 a day down from, in some cases, 3 a day.

Free users get 1 free chapter a day (for all current beta novels). This is one free chapter INCLUDING the free ss for login. This is due to the fact that free chapters are not account specific. So if I get one chapter on day 1, and unlock the second chapter (also on day 1) with ss. Then on day 2 I don't get a free chapter since the free chapter IS the second chapter I unlocked on day 1 with ss. Thus, if I want a chapter on day 2 I have to use my daily ss from day 2

4. wilico98

wilico98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which makes no sense at all, either you go all the way in spending scam stones or it's not worth at all

5. Grand Architect

Grand Architect Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This also ruins the shared experience of reading at the same daily pace as everyone else. Before most readers were on the same translated chapter and can share about it afterwards. Now most are going to be spread out over the gap between free and stone chapters killing that share experience. This lack of care for how this change effects the readers as a whole is why I drop that site.

6. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    Chances are sooner or later (since the way it is now prob is not doing that great in people buying scam stones) will change to full paywall

7. Sancrea

Sancrea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm confused i'll admit when 10 chapters of release the witch appeared, i spend real money on ss to unlock them(it wasn't really much in dollars it would be wat? 1-2 dollars?) From that time author released over 10 chapters, when i counted today it was about 16 and i have yet to see that good ol' ad which unlocked chapter. Meaning, i can only use spirit stones and more than normally that is 7-8 to unlock it, am i the only one who experience this shit?

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That is how it works actually, you need to spend more spirit stones to see the new chapters, or you can wait one more week or so to read the chapters for free.

Free chapters are still being released for RTW, but only at 1/day pace, so you need to wait 10 days since your purchase to go back to reading.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    @AliceShiki you understand how this works better than majority of people here and you don't even go there:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shield Loyalist and AliceShiki like this.
  10. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what doesn't make sense at all, it either forces you to go all out or don't buy at all since if you do buy 4-6 chapters you need to wait 4-6 chapters to receive free updates again. It would be much better if you bought 4-6 chapters ahead of the free instead

11. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess they're trying to make the dividing line between payer that they can milk out and leecher

12. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but it just doesn't make sense to make it worse for the "casual buyers", it makes people stay away of buying it

13. Sancrea

Sancrea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean that was my initial thought, that's why i stopped reading and waited until the amount of chapters accumulated to over 10, i mean since 10 chapters were 'premium' behind paywall, then once it exceeded that number we would be getting 1-2 chapters free daily i believe, but now i really wonder how it will be. Seriously if they want to make paywall make it subscription membership and be done with it, everyone would be happy. No wait the most popular authors wouldn't be happy unless they did something specifically for numbers of viewers, not sure how though.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I did read the whole thread... Qidian Drama is good for nuffie farming after all~
    Hmmmmmm... Let me try explaining it in a way that makes sense... I should note that I honestly don't care about Qidian, but I think that their strategy isn't illogical in the slightest.

Imagine that you were at Steam, and bought Left4Dead2 in 2013, all was nice and dandy, you played the game, enjoyed it, had your fun and... Bam!! 2014's Christmas present, everyone can download and play Left4Dead2 for free and forever! For as long as they download it between days 23 and 2 or something.

I may have gotten the dates wrong, but I do know it happened... And yet, the people that already had L4D2 on their PC didn't get their money back, nor did they get another free game.

This system is essentially a purchase of a chapter, you purchased that chapter and that chapter only, and you won't get anything back once it becomes free.

It is a bit unusual for the scene of novel translation, but not that weird if you think of it as just a purchase of a separate novel chapter.

Shield Loyalist, GonZ555 and Blitz like this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck with the farming:blobhug::blob_pompom:

Shield Loyalist and AliceShiki like this.
  16. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    I do understand the scheme but in the novel scene you get 1 free chapter a day, and if you do buy a chapter you do not receive your free chapter a day understand?? it's like let's say Overwatch gives you 1 box a day, and you buy 10 boxes cause you want the skins but you stop receiving boxes for 10 days. In the novel scene it doesn't make a sense, especially since there will always be 1 free chapter a day ( at least for now). It just milk those who cannot wait 1 day for a chapter (which is a good tl speed) or those who have money to spend on it

17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    But on the day you didn't receive a box, you can buy 3 other new boxes, while free players are still limited to one box per day.

You are exchanging money for time, you can slowly go through it freely, or use money to get it more in one go.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  18. GonZ555

Reading List:
    Link
    Business standpoint says this makes better money..

AliceShiki likes this.
  19. wilico98

Reading List:
    Link
    It does make money but it milks only the heavy buyers while they could also milk the casuals, it could be let's say a qidian novel releases 3 chps a day and releases 1 free chp every day, so every day the gap between buyers and leechers increase by 2, if instead of spending 7 scam stones to buy 1 chapter so 14 scam stones to the 2 chapters, you could make 7-14 scam stones to buy 1 chapter ahead of the leechers or smth like that since the gap is always increasing and you could have a bigger gamma of spenders. That way let's say I discover the qidian novel when the buyers are 300 chapters ahead, I would need to spend 2100 scam stones in one go to make it worth while I could spend little by little to get ahead of the leechers. The way it is now it pretty much feels like a commitment to buying the chapters.

My point is denying the 1 free chapter a day from the casual spenders don't make any sense, since the heavy spenders won't feel a difference and would continue buying, the leechers won't buy anyway but those who wanted to buy just some chapters will need to think if it is worth it or not, that way people who would have bought 3-5 chapters ahead cause it ended in a climax or smth like that will be thinking 2 times before buying it

Yeah but why I as a buyer should be denied 1 box just because I bought boxes?? this is what I don't understand

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2018
  20. GonZ555

Reading List:
    Link
    From what i could see, qidian is an idiot at this. They want to slowly force the casual buyers into a full time payer. But they didn't account on what degree of privilege they should give to full-time payer, casual payer and free user.
    I can only say that they fail to adapt their business model of selling products into selling these chapters..
    You can buy a full game and continuosly sell dlc, but trying to sell updates of an incomplete game? *shakes head*

Luk2048 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.