Premium on QI acually more expensive than actual Premium books on Kindle

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Xu Sanduo, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    By the sound of things they plan to have mass releases once in a while for the premium content. And in the end it is still a win cause we get more chapters. Also by the sound of things, the author will get commission from the premium chapters, so there is that.

It isn't a loophole at all, just owning an account.

2. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    You get more chapters if you're premium because it's cannibalized from regular releases.

It's a loophole if you have to maintain multiple accounts to read.

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys, he was just stating a fact. He didn't say screw Qidian or whatever. He was merely stating that Qidian premium is more expensive than Kindle premium. And it's true. It's simple numbers, whether you value one more or less, that's your opinion. He wasn't stating an opinion, he was stating a verifiable fact, a fact that you could've disputed yourself had you run the numbers.

So don't go around insulting people just because you disagree. If you disagree, fight back with your own numbers.

Asf likes this.
  4. Random lurker

Random lurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    It really isn't hard to see that the OP is right, considering the Qidian premium chapters are priced at 1 spirit stone per 200 words.

Also, Premium Chapters on Qidian is not Patreon. Sure, you get to read ahead on both, but the way it works is completely different. On Patreon, you pay for essentially 1 month of 'subscription' and stay ahead that month, while often contributing to the sponsor chapter queue and whatever goals the translator has set. On the other hand, Premium Chapters are... essentially chapters you just unlock ahead of time. You don't get to stay ahead. You don't get to contribute to anything else.

Also, Qidian Premium Chapters is just the company's way of essentially taking a share of what was the money given completely to the translator through Patreon.

6. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on how often something is released. As I pointed out you can read 2-3 premium chapters per day for free with 1 account.

7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    From my understanding, for the premium chapters you contribute to the author. At least that is what the statement from RTW author implied.

8. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you link me to that post? Cause i don't remember it says what you say it is..

9. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure:
    https://forum.webnovel.com/d/2786-introducing-the-premium-program-beta-giving-you-advanced-chapters

Hello, my dear readers. I'm the author of 'Release That Witch', Er Mu. I'm very grateful for the support readers all over the world have given RTW. I will continue working hard in the coming days to create a more attractive story for everyone. Today, RTW will be going Premium on Webnovel. It's truly exciting news for me. As web novelists, per-chapter subscriptions have always been the foundation and guarantee of our income. I also wish that overseas readers will continue to give your greatest support when RTW goes premium. Please join the Premium Program for my work. Your subscription is the greatest support for me as an author!
    No matter how I read it, it sounds he gets commission : /

10. GonZ555

Reading List:
    Link
    The link you give me didn't seem useful to conclude how the commision works..

And for your quote, it seems the author gets payed somehow. Nothing anything conclusive tho..

11. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said I knew how much or any such detail was divulged. All I pointed out was that the author earns some sort of commission. So it does contribute to the author. How much, I don't know.

12. GonZ555

Reading List:
    Link
    ...that's a pointless information then..
    We don't know what helps the author get those commision, and what doesn't..
    for all we know, qidian can hog 99% of the money and leave 1% for the author and you can say that the author "still get commision out of it"

Ps: this is an extreme case to point out what i mean

13. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure they do. The percentages are questionable though. Authors get paid 0.01 RMB per 1000 words each time someone pays for their chapter, while the chapters are coated at 0.02 RMB or 0.03 RMB per 1000 words depending on their VIP level. So that's either 33.33% or 50%. That's when there is only the authors and the company to split the revenue. For Qidian International, they also have to split it with the translator too, so the percentage is definitely going to be tiny. Heck its entirely possible that they might be paid at the same rate as they get paid in China.

Also, technically speaking, Qidian International should be paying the authors even when they were running purely on ad revenue. I don't know whether they do or not, but only paying the authors when someone pays for a premium chapter doesn't sound right by me.

noob_senpai and Ai chan like this.
  14. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nevertheless, this method actually supports the author as opposed to other sites that only supports the translator (and the site owner in some cases). And while you can expect that author to only get a small share, it's still better than nothing. Translator also gets some apparently, but I expect the majority to actually go to qi.

15. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    seriously??

I don't read any qidian novels but damn, the qidian authors are using word count to make money, then paying to read the words is the best way to pay for their premium...

damn, what a great strategy

16. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I could buy real dresses with the type of money you need to buy all of the equips in Chinese games. Which to chose: $100 on a virtual dress for my char or $100 on a real dress for myself? :aww:

17. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather spend $100 on a virtual dress for my char over $100 on a real dress for myself. :blobsmirk:

What? It's not going to give me +1000 attack damage. :blobhero:

(Edit: It was a joke for me, but I've played with people who spend $100+ a month on outfit/mount sales in MMOs)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  18. linnil

linnil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I must say I have never buy anythings in the game using real money before. And this dressing game show me beautiful dress that must use Crystal(real money) to buy.
    This dress design change every week and I can't... I can't endure it anymore and buy them all LoL.
    And many of the button make me easy to loose the crystal I buy. It went to zero without me realizing. LoL
    Shouldn't play this game I guess, the design is too evil.

asriu likes this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    eh it depend on how much a person like the game~
    I mean was spend more than 100 usd just for sake "make up" character
    stat? oh depend how serious I wanna play~
    which meh~
    oh look wedding dress seem cute~

20. QI_Meh

QI_Meh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this would be a valid comparison if you also got a chapter of that kindle book for free every day, and the book itself was as interesting as RTW, and the book was over 900 chapters long and still growing.

GodBrandy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.