Kingdom Building/Grand Strategy Games

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by JJ, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Could anyone suggest a kingdom building game? I prefer a less micro control game like Victoria II's population management or a game like Victoria II please. You can suggest a paradox game but it's highly likely I already played them. I could list out games that I already have with this tag but I'm too lazy to do it.

TL;DR I think I already played all the games on this genre but there might be some hidden gems.

2. Gopper

Gopper Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JJ likes this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    City builders? Ceasar 3, Pharaoh (Cleopatra DLC), others?

I'm not entierly sure what a kingdom building game is tbh

JJ likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stronghold crusader

Grandpa_World and JJ like this.
  5. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    King of Dragon Pass

JJ likes this.
  6. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are billions

Colonization building strategy game complete with zombie invations...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    JJ and Astaroth like this.
  7. zarvi

zarvi Ojisan

Reading List:
    Link
    The only one o know is civilization

And sengoku rance lmao

JJ likes this.
  8. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still waiting for the "The Guild 3" to one day actually be finished. I want the in family politics and marriage stuff + having being able to have like super duelist or soldiers fight... good old broken "The Guild 2"...

there were the really old Romance of the 3 Kingdoms games which were pretty cool. Save and reload trying to get a general to submit to you rofl

JJ likes this.
  9. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Try out "Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith" if you feel like it costs too much, you could also go for Dominions 3 or wait for it to get on sale.

JJ likes this.
  10. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm assuming you've already played most of the big Paradox titles: Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis series, Hearts of Iron, maybe even Sengoku...

King of Dragon Pass is an excellent small-scale long-term strategy game, quite unlike anything else. Highly recommended. The closest comparison might be CKII's role-playing aspects and events, but you manage a tribe instead of a dynasty. And you fight to reenact mythical stories of the gods, rather than amass land.

Hmm... Sid Meier's Colonization (the newer version) is built on the Civilization IV engine, and is an updated version of the original Colonization game. Play as one of the European powers, set up colonies, then declare independence and try to survive the war. Surprisingly difficult. I lost six wars of independence in a row, on normal difficulty.

Fallen Enchantress is probably the most interesting and RPG-like of the newer 4x games. Sort of a meld between Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic. Lead a faction of magic users, with special heroic leaders, to build up a civilization of cities, claim various magical resources on the map, fight wars or conduct diplomacy with other factions, go on quests, destroy epic monsters wandering around the map, and fulfill one of four endgoals. Great gameplay, just a bit buggy sometimes.

Oriental Empires is a cross between Total War and Civilization, but set in China. Play as one of many dynasties during China's early days, each with factional-specific bonuses or disadvantages, and seek to unite all of China under your Imperial rule. More Total War than Civilization... the only thing that's different from Total War is that you also plant cities on the map. And there are no detailed real-time tactical battles on a separate map... rather, you set the formations and strategies before engaging in combat, then the computer takes it and runs with it on the main world map to see who wins.

Surprisingly, Mount & Blade: Warband might also work, especially if you get the Diplomacy mod. But this is a long game. You start off as a wandering mercenary, recruit soldiers to be part of your band, and have to work your way up to gain lordship of a village or town, then maybe establish a kingdom, all amidst constant fighting. Great combat system, though. Best simulation of horseback archery you can ever find in a game. Or you could just wait until M&B 2: Bannerlord comes out, sometime in this year or the next.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    youseiki and JJ like this.
  11. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried it but this is not a game I'm looking for. It's not really managing but RNG fest and clicking to increase happiness? More of a point and click game.

That's city building. I've played Ceasar 3.

I'm not sure why I kept passing stronghold crusader.. you know what, I'll buy it next time. Thanks.

I played and beat it.

I know there are billions. This is the reason for the thread, to compile NUFians tastes.

I've played both. Sengoku rance has a unique gameplay. I wish there are other games like that. A similar game could be Lost Technology but it's still under translation and the publisher might've even abandoned it.

Guild 2/even the first one is a blast. Guild 3 is still EA IIRC. I've played ROTK but I'm more happy with officer gameplay.

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say Zeus is the best out of those. The last game Impressions made in that vein was Emperor, but it wasn't as fun as Zeus in my opinion. For one, the choice of deities in Zeus makes a serious gameplay difference instead of just appeasing the populace and raising their housing level in the other games.

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is certainly what you're looking for. But beware, it's bug central. It's playable, I still play it. However, I can't play some maps because the Diseaselands have a bug that crashed the game, so I can only play on maps without Diseaselands. The AI also cheats a god damn lot. If you can overcome their cheating and the bugs, I'm sure you'll find it very enjoyable. Sad that the developers just abandoned the game like that instead of fixing the bugs.

Dominions 4 & Dominions 5 might also be what you're looking for. You are basically a god. You choose which race you want to lord over and this race will bend over backwards to help you in your bid to become the new Pankrator, the supreme god. There's just one problem. You're not the only god who wants to take over the seat of the Pankrator. Yeah sure, the graphics kinda old school, but gameplay is where it shines. Once you've played it, you'll scoff at games like Civilization. Dominions 5 has the same races as Dominions 4, but with slight gameplay changes. Among others, you can now choose what boosts your sacred units can have now. Want to turn your priest into powerful archmage while retaining his holy powers? No problem, just train him with magical gems until he alone can handle an entire enemy army. If you like undeads, then play Mid Age Ermor and just spam longdeads and banshees until you overwhelm your enemies.

Then there's Endless Legend. I have personally never played it before, but some friends highly recommend it.

There's also Age of Wonder III, it's one of the most successful empire building game to date. It's published by Paradox, but not made by Paradox. It looks very much like Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes except that it has more similarity to Civ.

Or you can play one of Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition or Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I still play both from time to time.

JJ, Dizzcity and Astaroth like this.
  13. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the recs. You're correct that I've played all of those paradox games you listed. I've played KoDP and Sid Meier's colonization. I've also played Fallen Enchantress and liked the aspect of creating your own faction.

I've Oriental Empires on my gamelist but never explored the game except for a few turns. I'll go back to it once I have the time.

I've also played M&B: Warband with the floris/pendragon mod too. Yeah, I'll wait for M&B 2.

14. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the poster originally meant to say "They are Billions", not "There are billions". Which is more of an RTS game based on a zombie apocalypse than a grand strategy game, in my opinion.

15. Needhydra

Needhydra Everything is on Fire

Reading List:
    Link
    grand ages rome
    dont do grand ages medieval its not even remotely the same game

Ai chan and JJ like this.
  16. Sedave

Sedave «Custom Title»

Reading List:
    Link
    - Stronghold (2,3,crusader,legends) I prefer 2 the archers aren't that Over Powered
    - the setlers
    - Banished (no war)
    - Civ
    - mount and blade? (you can build you own kingdom, dunno if that counts)
    - total war

JJ likes this.
  17. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll re-try dominions. For some reason, I become bored playing it after a few turns. Maybe the faction/hero I had didn't suit my taste.

I like Endless legend's unique factions. Playing each faction gives you a different playing experience.

Age of Wonders III for some reason didn't catch on to me. I know I played it but maybe because there isn't anything unique from it or due to its similarities with fallen enchantress.

I've played ROTK/NA since the first series except the untranslated ones.

I evade EA like a plague. Thank you for correcting him, though.

18. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Dawn of Discovery
    ... Eh, wait, that's more like City Builder

JJ likes this.
  19. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've played both and "beat" grand ages medieval -- I even had an excel formula to know the best supply and demand for the game. Only to find out that the game is lackluster. The latter really has a lot of potential, though, if they kept the cities historically intact instead of you building them from scratch. The lack of variety in resources made it also meh.
    I'll take your opinion about Stronghold into consideration since I haven't played any of it. How different are they with each other? Do they cover different timeline? If taking out archers being overpowered, which is the best out of the four gameplay wise? Thanks!

I've played settlers too. I think it's one of the games I played where sleeping for inhabitants is taken into account, similarly with Rise to Ruins.

20. willuwontu

willuwontu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Northgard

JJ likes this.