Question Why the lack of CC in mmo novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by huffygame, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    OP character doesn't need CC

AMissingLinguist and sweed like this.
  2. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    That's simply wrong.
    Crowd = multiple people/targets, so for me it's any attack that can hit many enemies.

Don't belief in this cat, just take at look at it's signature image!

3. grinz

grinz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but you are wrong CC refers to spells/skill in games that make you oponents lose control of his actions
    CC refers to how you can control a crowd not to use skills on a crowd and this crowd can totaly be a single target like a stun or interrupting a spell

AMissingLinguist and Zomula like this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    No no, not at all.

If you use a single target paralyze spell twice, it is already controlling a crowd of 2 people.

I'm not saying it's a term that makes sense though, I'm saying it's how it is used in gaming. Single target CC is still CC, even if it is ignoring the Crowd part of the word for the most part.

And well, since the term is basically a gaming term, it applies to almost everything else that uses it.

The important part is the control, not the crowd... Even if in theory both should be equally important.

An attack that can hit multiple enemies is either an AoE or Multi target attacks, it needs to have some controlling effect to be considered CC.

5. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't matter what it is for you though. Your definition is objectively false. In world of warcraft the spell iconic with "crowd control" would be sheep ofically polymorph it turns enemies into a sheep.

It's not aoe.

6. Suikeina

Suikeina Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because most of the authors have never played an MMO. They don't know what they're writing about.

I can't imagine why you would blame League of Legends though, that game is nothing if not CC and burst damage.

Glaerun and sweed like this.
  7. Black Parcher

Black Parcher The Eternal World Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    You still got Reckless Trap Magician. All he is. Is a crowd controller. That all he do for real.

8. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    You're just baiting me with your retarded comment. Did you even read the earlier posts?
    Gram-
    mar Na-
    zi hates ga-
    mers for their bad lan-
    guage us-
    age and their bad lan-
    guage skills.
    @AliceShiki Why are you us-
    ing so ma-
    ny line breaks in your posts?

9. LOTRfreak101

LOTRfreak101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Log horizon is really the only thing I can think of. other than that mcs really just cc by using AOE attacks and forcing the enemy to dodge or be hit.

10. Black Parcher

Black Parcher The Eternal World Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean flare instead fire ball right. Because fire ball is a single target attack.

11. apricotsoda

apricotsoda Shy Shy Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    I think AoE skills are just under the category of CC

12. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason for the lack of CC is that most of the novels mirror the korean MMO style which has a very limited role for CC unlike the WOW style. That is also why there is so much grinding and large money 'dark gamers' in the novels.

13. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did and now I'm baffled as to your reason for being here as you've clearly never played any sort of MMO or even games like baulders gate.

I was curious where you got close quarters combat from as it made no sense and you didn't give a reply that made sense. You then try to tell people who do know what they are talking about they are wrong while trying to redefine pretty set in stone gaming terms.

CC - Crowd Control abilities that restrict an enemy in combat. Stuns, fears, roots, silence, ect.
    AOE - Area Of Effect abilities that effect multiple targets.
    Melee characters that do damage in close quarters relying at least part on melee weapons.

Close (quarters) combat is not part of any gaming jargon and crowd control does not mean striking a crowd, it means keeping a crowd under control.

Ignorance is perfectly fine. Flaming people and trying to tell them they're wrong when you're completely clueless is not.

Glaerun likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it is easier to read if I split my text in paragraphs?

Like, sure, I could make an essay of 10000 words (I would need to be really creative about it though) in a single paragraph about CC, but...

Why would I do that if I can split it into neat and easy to read small paragraphs instead?

If I were to give any other reason, it is because I have a habit of not allowing my paragraphs to grow bigger than 3-4 lines usually, but my sense of size becomes messed up when I am on phone, so I tend to make waaaaaay shorter paragraphs then.

Like, the last paragraph had 7 lines to me, this is unbearable for the me that studied 4 years in history uni and had to read texts with paragraphs that lasted 1 and a 1/2 pages... So I prefer to make many stops over no stops.

I usually split my text less when I'm on PC though, but my sense of size is really messed up when I'm on phone, so it can't be helped.
    Depends on setting, a fireball that explodes is an AoE attack, a fireball that doesn't explode is a single target attack.

The classic fireball is AoE, as it is a spell from D&D that hits a radius of 6m.

But well... It varies according to the setting. *shrugs*

... Ah! Flare is a single target spell on Final Fantasy btw! ^^)/
    AoE damage is not CC... >.>

Glaerun and sweed like this.
  15. kevmasterzoc

kevmasterzoc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    many mmos nowadays don't have a CC specific class anymore, but instead most if not all classes have 1-3 CC skills. Like in Zhan Long, many classes have some sort of stun technique but like you say, most classes fall into tank, dps, or healer. Pure support class outside of healers that would specialize in buffs/debuffs and/or CC skills are very rare nowadays especially in asian mmos since those are the mmos that these stories would be more likely to be based off of..

16. Dethati

Dethati Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more of the fact that using a stun/sleep/root/freeze/fear mechanic makes managing a large group of enemies easier and thus is "crowd control" in that your controlling what parts of the "crowd"(group of mobs) are under your control effects and thus making fights more manageable/easier. Now it may seem counter intuitive with the context that single target control effects can be used without large groups of enemies but due to the majority of usage being either in large groups of mobs/pvp it maintains it's usage still today.

Zomula likes this.
  17. Buffelephant

Buffelephant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try the western book, the land by aleron kong. It's decent and the mc is going for a balanced build and he uses cc tactics occasionally.

18. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Crowd Control means preventing the crowd (enemies the tank isn't controlling) from getting involved in the fight. That's the standard definition as used in MMOs. Because typically a tank can only handle so many enemies before he goes *squish* or is unable to hold their attention. AOE is the opposite, it makes the crowd get involved. You might not need CC in a group with a lot of AoE damage and a good AoE tank, though. Taunting isn't Crowd Control because a taunted enemy is still attacking and doing damage that needs to be healed.

And yes, controller classes are a thing, or have been in MMOs. Enchanter in EverQuest.:blobokhand: Mesmerize, stun, charm, root, pacify enemies so they don't notice there's a fight going on. I think current MMOs are getting away from specialized classes because they're much harder to solo with, and they've been de-emphasizing the "multiplayer" part of MMO.

AliceShiki likes this.
  19. Dethati

Dethati Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the issue with CC effects in most MMO novels is that they tend to be extremely unbalanced when implemented (either ridiculously OP or completely useless and not viable). I mean there are two novels that currently have stun effects with 8+ second duration that in current gaming is a death blow without a removal effect. It seems that the novels that do use cc effects well are generally borrowing from other games for their mechanics (as well as their world building) *cough cough The Great Thief cough cough* and those that don't are generally more original stories with very imbalanced mechanics (The legendary guardian, ROT, RotSSG). The best example of the issues with this is that CoH as a game had way more ways to respond to controllers in pvp than most current mmo's have now. A good controller could easily win fights, but could just as easily be beaten by a smart opponent. Where as current mmo pvp is more around usage of cool downs, timing interrupts, usage of cc, and extreme burst/focus targeting to take down priority opponents. When these are used in novels against the MC, they almost never have a negative outcome that would be the general effect of implementing these idea's correctly.

20. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz MCs love solo'ing. Can't be a MC if you can't solo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.