How long until it isn't rude to request a new translator

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TheZephyrStorm, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to be rude as I am very grateful to the translators who put the time and effort into translating the novels for our entertainment, but sometimes they'll say they will translate something to be released on a set schedule like once a week or every other day, and not update for a month. A novel I'm dying to read, Yaritsukai to, Kuroneko, has had two translator groups. The most recent group that took it on started translating it, got two chapters done and uploaded them on the same day, then never uploaded any other chapters. It's been a month and a half and I'd like to know whether I should request someone new to pick up the novel or wait a little longer.

oliverthms likes this.
  2. awesomedude2215

awesomedude2215 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU rules state that you need to wait 3 months. But I think it would be fine if you contacted the translator group first and if they dont plan on doing anything you request it here.

Shance, oliverthms and TheZephyrStorm like this.
  3. wildlordlubu

wildlordlubu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Rapture244

Rapture244 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, firstly try and get in touch with the translators even if they didn't translate anything for one month and a half and talk to them. Ask them if it is temporary, if they have real life issues and kindly suggest the idea of maybe suggesting a new translator to them if they release this slowly.

oliverthms and TheZephyrStorm like this.
  5. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    The three month thing is not a rule its sort of what the community has collectively agreed is an appropriate length of time.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a month. I think around two years or so should be safe.

7. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Anytime is fine, it's not like anyone would listen to you. I want good weather for today...how much power do I have?

8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    community consensus is 3 months is a fine enough borderline to ask for a new translator.

Of course, you can just ask anyways but *shrugs*. if you get direct comment from the current translator saying you can look for a new one, then the time limit doesnt need to be considered.

TheZephyrStorm likes this.
  9. mllhild

mllhild Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can ask for a new one whenever you want, just inform of the circumstances and your motives. If you are likely to get a positive answer from a translator is another thing.

A good option before going in search of a new translator is trying to bug the apparently inactive translator directly. This works with me when the editor I'm working wiht reminds me that I should get to translating the next chapter.

TheZephyrStorm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.