Vornado Air Circulator - Does it work?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by TooLazyToThink, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it really work in cooling down a room? I'm thinking of buying one because it's already summer in country. 30 ºC. I don't want to use the aircon since the bill doubles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Iiche

Iiche Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly those two images look pretty "artist's concept" and not any kind of actual physics from the fans. Why show the twister thing reflecting off in all directions and not show any reflection from the regular fan. Regular fan doesn't just blow into an object and stop like that.

Demonic Poring, Blitz, Noor and 13 others like this.
  3. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Check Amazon review or something. You have Google sensei to ask too

Cutter Masterson and LiF3tim3 like this.
  4. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like hi-tech electric fan :D

5. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep in mind that these devices also use electricity and you may not save as much money as you think you may.

Blitz, mir, Noor and 9 others like this.
  6. kkngs

kkngs Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a fan. If your humidity is relatively low, then fans work pretty well to make you more comfortable. You could probably get a box fan that works just as well for 1/3 the price. As a side note, I have one of their heater products. It's ok, good build quality.

7. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
  8. RayPeest

RayPeest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone else read that as Vornado Air circulation and thought about cultivation immediately afterwards? Also try to find videos of how it circulates and hits something like paper since most fans blow very little air out of the sides.

That guy, Orion-kun, Cite and 5 others like this.
  9. viktorianus

viktorianus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might feel cooler when the fan blows the air on you, but they can't actually lower the temperature in the room.

josh_15 and LiF3tim3 like this.
  10. Corvo269

Corvo269 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They aren't gonna lower the temperature of the room. And if your country is a humid one. You just made a bad problem worse.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  11. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an older model it works well for me, as for air circulation I can't say I mostly use it to bring a/c into my room or when not using a/c have multiple fans going pointed directly at me.

12. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    there are some things to relieve it...

get naked, open all windows and doors, fix the fan on your and try building a cooling box though I not sure it works. There are a lot of videos on how to do it.

13. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    Might as well a box fan, the noise it would generate wouldnt be low either. To pick up the speed of a smaller fan to move the amount of air this is talking about, itd have to move relatively fast. But such a thing isnt always good, it generates alot of noise, the motor itself will release heat as it runs at high speed for long periods of time. The air circulation even if it moves in a column form like the artist rendering, would scatter within the first 1-2 feet after leaving the muzzle. It will definitely generate a breeze, but unless your truly cramped for space, just get a box fan or two. This only moves air after all, doesnt change its humidity, or temp.

14. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    buy a normal fan
    it's idiotic to buy the thing you showed us cause it won't change anything. the only use I see for it would be as a fan when you don't have the space for a regular one or want some wind to blow from below :blobsmirk:

S4TY4 likes this.
  15. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    AC for life

Shaiole likes this.
  16. thorlong

thorlong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just understand that cycling air in a closed space does not reduce heat, it just speeds up entropy. So an open window at night with a fan blowing air into the room will fill the room with at least marginally cooler air that you can trap during the day by closing the window. Aiming a fan at a large block of ice will use entropy to force the ice to absorb the heat in the room reducing the ambiant temperature. There are a lot of ways to cool a room, research is nesisarry, check out passive cooling. Even a wet towel works to passively cool your body. You can always get a ceiling fan to improve air circulation.

SpecTreX, asriu and EienMugetsuTensho like this.
  17. Prolux

Prolux [Specifically Lazy] [Weirdly Motivated]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's decent as long as it's not in a living room or something of equal or greater size. I have one in my room an it's really rather nice for the price.

18. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you aren’t staying in a humid place, consider buying a desert cooler. It’s super effective too.

19. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hot air rises while cold air falls.
    Best way to cool down is to have an open window up high and it has an exhaust. This will force the hot air out and the cold air in through stack effect. Electric fan would be cheaper and help circulate air.
    It helps if you actually have wind blowing though your window.

20. eksentrysyti

eksentrysyti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That little toy fan won't cool anything, don't ever buy into the marketing, they will always try to up-sell you. The only rule for more cooling from a fan is that you get more air movement from a fan with bigger blades and a higher RPM motor.

As to whether a fan will actually cool you depends on the humidity in the room. Fans make you feel cooler by circulating dry air over your skin, causing skin moisture (sweat) to evaporate. This evaporation pulls heat off your skin (liquid water needs to absorb heat to shift into water vapor), making you feel cooler. If the room is too humid, the water on your skin can't evaporate, and you won't feel any cooler.

The answer: If it isn't too humid where you are, get a BIG fan (higher the rated airflow the better). If it is humid, use your air conditioner (or dehumidifier) to dry the air (make sure you seal the room the best you can) and THEN use the big fan. You don't need to set the air con to cool too much, the main goal is to dry the air as much as you can. Last resort: keep a bucket of ice water nearby so you can wipe your face with an ice cold towel.

mir likes this.