How Not to Respond to a License Notice: Roxism HQ and Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sam Pinansky, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OxySempra

OxySempra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read the latest chapter released for this novel. I will be mad if I paid 100$ a month for this translation quality as well. The translator also blatantly ignore words that are tough to MTL from the story too.

2. voiceburner

voiceburner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think you i thought op was testing this communitys jaw as well

3. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    they have done it, just that this is the first time they got ignored?

LordFatCat likes this.
  4. Atamahead027

Atamahead027 Pleasure Research Club President

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk if its already became the current culture, but is charging someone money for something free that not even yours is a right thing to do?
    In my opinion translating free stuff like wn should not have anything to do with money making in minds. If u need money for website maint, then make them in a bare minimum needed be it from ads or whatever.
    But what more insulting is labeling something that not even yours as your own fanfic....

5. Tebix

Tebix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, just because it is free doesn’t mean it is creative commons and you can especially not profit from it.

I don’t know why there are so many “the source is free” type of comments here, it still as copyright like everything.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Rumby, AliceShiki, Shirobane and 2 others like this.
  6. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

They don't need the rights to DMCA the patreon though. Translating WN's is technically illegal without the authors permission....so you're already breaking patreons TOS, which can get your account banned.

7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Urgh, I read until page 7 and gave up. So many people making legal assumptions without actually knowing the law.

First of all, DMCA would stand. DMCA is for protection of copyrights. It doesn't matter if the offender makes money or not. It doesn't matter if the offender doesn't harm the commercial viability of the commercial product. If the author or the copyright holder of the author's work wants to DMCA or deliver a 'cease or desist', they can. Because they own the copyright. It's plain and simple. They own the copyright. They can do whatever they want with their copyright.

You're mixing up different laws. 'Sue for damages' IS NOT the same law as DMCA! 'Sue for damages' can be put forward under commercial law. DMCA is under copyright section. They're not the same thing!

I repeat, if the author wants to DMCA Roksism despite J-Novel having only the license for LN, he can. It doesn't matter if J-Novel only has the license for light novel. J-Novel DMCA on behalf of the author. And if you guys have tried even once to put a DMCA report, you will see that the DMCA will stand if the reporting person can prove that he has the backing of the actual author. J-Novel clearly has the backing.

Sorry that I'm only tagging you. There are other people with worse misunderstanding than you, but your comment was the last one I read before I gave up reading the rest. I couldn't be bothered to go back pages before and quote every single person.
    Also, my ekusu button is still broken.

8. RobotLord

RobotLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    EA and Roxism HQ would get along.

9. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    My only response is this let a court decide

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus [NUFs cutest Panda][Pandesu~][BootyFul][Hungry]

Reading List:
    Link
    So... roxism is like android while j-novel is IOS?

11. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    No more akin to sony and the dev of yellow dog for ps3

12. Atamahead027

Atamahead027 Pleasure Research Club President

Reading List:
    Link
    But Roxism is still wrong morally

Sabruness likes this.
  13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read this particular novel and don't know much of anything about the situation over at Roxism, since I honestly don't read any of the novels they translate, either. So I won't say anything about this situation exactly. I will say this, however:

Patreon advanced chapter reading is, and always has been, complete garbage. Patreon should be seen as a method of donation to support translators spending their time and effort to bring us novels that we may never get to read otherwise. While giving a sneak peak of work-in-progress chapters in advance as an incentive to donate was not necessarily a bad idea, the progression from unedited "preview" chapters to outright selling chapters in advance was taking things too far. Especially so given the downright absurd rates many Patreon accounts have set up for advanced chapter reading -- there is absolutely zero justification for monthly subscriptions allowing you to read ten or fifteen chapters ahead at the price of $50... $80.. $100 or even more!

When the point of using Patreon is to sell chapter access, you've gone way, way too far.

When you let a bumbling idiot set the prices on top of that... Blegh. :blob_coughblood:

14. kavinh

kavinh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't really get the point of this drama, if they were really far ahead and were translating the LN then ya sure, but they're translating the inferior product with MTL if what the original post is saying is true and on top of that only have like 30 chapters out which i'm assuming is about the first volume.

The problem'll just solve itself when the official translations pass them by the first volume, and there's a better quality translation anyways. It seems most people hopping on to bash them are just kinda doing it to mock the 100 dollar patreon goal which tbh you'd be a pretty big sucker to pay for to begin with.

Not exactly taking sides but it's kind of a waste of time on both ends, whose going to read a slower worst quality TL even if they try to avoid dmca.

kenar and Westeller like this.
  15. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...I think it's a good thing that J-Novel is putting this out there because if a DMCA does come, at least we have the other side of the story this time. With how quiet and heavy-handed they tend to act, some of us forget that there's a human side to publishers too.

That said, I do like what J-Novel is doing a lot. i.e. This kind of action can definitely backfire if done by an unpopular company as we've seen when Q* tried it.

Akashura and AliceShiki like this.
  16. Touma212

Touma212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wn, dmca , fan fic and patreon. Wow, idk what happen to jp translators nowadays.
    Before was Ln, dmca, fanfic and free to read. Sigh.....

17. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I think J-novel it just making too big of a deal of this case. This is exactly the example of finding one bad case to make themselves look good. By putting themselves as the one's who look better in this situation, this was done in order to improve their public image so in the future, they are able to "take down" novels with licenses easier. In the end, rather than being a kid, quality and quantity are the two main factors any novel reader looks at in the end despite the salt mines. Please respond by releasing more and higher quality chapters instead of trying to make yourself look good.

cherries, voiceburner and zentetsuken like this.
  18. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I read so far, if these were game publishers,

EA would be QI
    CDPR is WW
    Larian must be volare
    Bungie/Activision fits JNovel (this thread is their Destiny2)
    Steam Greenlight Asset Flippers must be Roxism.

Thats a fair assesement I would say.

Westeller likes this.
  19. Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to support the authors, they need to eat :v
    In my opinion I think a lot of people in this forum also love to support the authors if they can do it, I mean, we enjoy the story that the authors made. Paying some bucks so they can be motivated to create a better story are totally a stuff that we as the reader want it.

Well. . as long as its not too expensive of course :v

For me as University Student, 5$ is worth as 2 days meal lel, but i can still afford it, i'll just change my menu from chickens to potatos and vegetables for 4 days and its cool~ :D

But then again attacking and shaming people on public is bad :(
    This is like the premium bait to lure the haters lel, ahaha. .

voiceburner and kavinh like this.
  20. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    courts don't have to decide anything, any one of the people here in the thread could report the patreon account and it would be brought down pretty fast.

It wouldn't make a difference in how 'easy' it is to bring down novels. Like at all, them having a good or bad image is irrelevant.

AliceShiki and Jaspaaar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.