Quick vacation advice (Mexico (Money))

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gameboy6666, Mar 1, 2018.

1. gameboy6666

gameboy6666 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So this will be my first time out of the country without my parents and I am just wondering about what would be the "perfect" ratio of money to bring to Mexico.

I've done my research and it was informative, but I wanted advice of people who have traveled alot. I will be going for 4 days and was wondering should I convert money while i'm still in the US? The rates might not be the best but it is easier and more comforting to have pesos going in. My debit/credit should still work (right?), but some places would only deal with pesos, but then it isn't good to have too much cash on hand.

Basically, should I convert in US or Mexico, and how much pesos should I keep on myself at any one time. I am a stingy person so I shouldn't need that much.

2. doomeye1337

doomeye1337 /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Incubator, the messenger of magic~

Reading List:
    Link
    dunno specifically about Mexico, but lots of other countries don't do credit cards *shrug*

3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    No money required, talk to the cartel and they will pay for you, but remember you might need to carry something with you through the border

gameboy6666 likes this.
  4. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd propably exchange beforehand, better to be preprared, but you might want to ask around about where to exchange your currency, in order to get the cheapest exchange.

5. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should always remember when going into another country that the ones with higher crime rates will have people who look at the currency exchanges for potential targets to rob. So better idea to take pesos with you rather than convert them there.

Also watch out for what you buy from street stalls. One of my teachers in high school had a nice story about when they went to mexico once and saw a bunch of starving dogs, thought they'd toss them some tacos to eat. Person selling the tacos yelled not to feed them the tacos as they're made of dog.

6. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good point too, I'd second that, though I honestly don't know how bad of a problem that is in mexico.

7. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I would question where you are going in Mexico, as to what you should bring with you. Mexico can be drastically different depending upon where you go.

BlackCat137 and Darkanlan like this.
  8. Tnyhy

Tnyhy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Talk to me and pm if you need more info.

Its not that expensive around here, if you are going to spend a lot, carry around 1 or 5 bills of 500 pesos, normally you can go by with around 2 or 3 bills of 100 pesos and 2 of 50 pesos (migth want to add at least 1 of 20 pesos so you dont have to break the big ones)

As for coins, grab a few (not more than 5) of 10 pesos and/or 5 pesos.

Also, try to get a travel credit card/and debit for the big expenses. Some cards dont work in another region unless your bank states otherwise, check that first with your bank or get the travel card I was talking about.

Where are you going matter too, forgot about that.

Greater thunder and WorthierSky8 like this.
  9. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Should also consider some places may use card readers to steal your credit card information when out of country. As you're already making charges outside the credit card companies wont catch onto things as fast when someone steals your information. Though that's in countries with worse crime prevention. Mexico is largely a cartel country, so it's not uncommon to have stuff happen when down there. Use pre converted pesos the whole trip and keep away from using cards down there unless you get a prepaid card that way you wont get your information stolen.

10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you actually plan on going to town or are you staying in a resort? And which part of mexico?

You don't want to end up in a Mexican prison, that place is totally lawless and you are more than likely to get killed or injected with some crazy drugs.

Darkanlan likes this.
  11. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have an international credit/debit card you don't need to worry~
    But you should plan where you are going, don't use your card on small stores (just precaution).

12. gameboy6666

gameboy6666 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    guaymas

guaymas one of the cheapest motels, my friends are poor af

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2018
  13. ninish

ninish ✿Fujoshi✿ [#224~] [Dʀᴀɢᴏɴɪsᴛ] [Lᴜʀᴋᴇʀ Lᴇᴇᴄʜ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't been to Mexico, but I'm from Chile, and people who look a lot like tourists are always targets for muggers over here XD even I, when going in vacation to another city, try to be careful in this:

Never carry all of your money in one place. So if you're mugged at least some of your money will remain in your person. If you can, use a money belt under your t-shirt to carry your documentation and some essential money.

Well this is all based on that you'll be moving on your own, and not with someone who actually lives in Mexico and could show you around and keep you away from suspicious areas/people. If you're going with a guide, listen to what they instruct you and you should be fine, but do consider the money belt thingy.

Same with your mobile. Try not to have it in hand when walking around.

I mean, of course 'going to Mexico' doesn't equal 'getting mugged', but being cautious doesn't hurt, it just helps ensure you will have a more enjoyable vacation.

gameboy6666 likes this.
  14. JohanneBrandt

JohanneBrandt Friendly Neighborhood Treehugger

Reading List:
    Link
    On the note of your debit and credit card I would suggest you contact your bank before you go. Not only to make sure that you they will work across the border but also to notify them that you will be in Mexico and which dates you will be there. As someone who works from a bank I can tell you that sometimes when we notice money being spent on debit or credit in a foreign country from where the client lives, we will often close accounts or not let the money go through.

15. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmh Guaymas is relatively small compare to the big cities , so i guess you don't have to worry much about pick pockets or cloning your cards, still you don't lose nothing being careful. You won't need a lot of money either.

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You want to go to a neighbouring country why not try Canada?
    Even their most friendly and safe town had a murder on CNN a few years back.
    It is not worth it, especially when you are still naive about how the world works
    You want to test the waters, fine, take a smaller easier challenge
    Try Canada or even Puerto Rico: you still meet hispanics there and all the chica calientes that you can see :blobnosebleed:

doomeye1337 likes this.
  17. Liger01

Liger01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you want to bring pesos, also there is chance of you being held up so bring enough money to pay them off, it actually quite common, there's good chance that you might need to pay the cops if they stop you.

18. Tnyhy

Tnyhy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guaymas, hmm... thats just a neighbor state from where I live. Ppl there are very frank but they have a respecting way of talking. Stick to safe areas, dont go to the red distritc (seriouosly, dont)

Like other had said, keep some money hidden (in the socks works)

I dont know how good or bad is there, and no... México its not a cartel country... common, thats exagerating and let me tell you I live in the middle of one of those zones, its normal here.

As long you keep a normal toi low profile you are good. Dont flash money, if you are going to buy something and you sorta know the price, keep it in your pants instead of your wallet.