Novel Orc Lord

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by docemoon145, Mar 4, 2018.

1. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo~
    I can't post links yet, but it'll come up if you search Orc Lord on RoyalRoadL.

So, I like writing from fun templates and putting my own spin on them. My story Orc Lord is based on the Isekai template, with the "reincarnated as a non-human" sub-template~
    Volume one has already been drafted at 571 pages. Volume two (when I'm writing this) is 126 pages. I think there's going to be 5 volumes, so I'll be at this for a while.
    Currently, I'm writing the web draft of volume two while also writing my other story, editing volume one for its ultimate ebook form, and attending 18 hours of classes. In short, I'm pacing myself. I guess if there are things I'd like advice on, it would be things to fix in the first volume, fun ideas for the following volumes, and, uh, concerns.

Also, I'd just like it if this thread helps more people to find and enjoy my work~

Synopsis: A young (reasonably well-adjusted) woman from earth dies in a car accident. She finds herself waking up as an infant, and soon realizes that she's been reborn... into a fantasy world... as an Orc. She proceeds to do stuff. The story has a heavy emphasis on what people are thinking when they take specific actions. There is basically no romance, let alone a reverse-harem.

For those who aren't bothered by (major) spoilers, here are more details:
    Well, it turns out the woman had something called the Lord Spirit attached to her soul when she was being reincarnated. It picked her out, out of everyone else, as being the most likely to cause a lot of conflicts. Thus, the new Orc Lord was born! And it seems like it made a good choice. Without even being a year old, the woman usurped her village chief, nearly genocided more than one race of Monsters, has engaged in brainwashing, enslaving, cannibalizing, resurrecting the dead, and (very soon) will create a new form of undead. Not to mention the fact that she's encouraging the reemergence of a dead race that will literally kill the Gods if they are allowed to live, all while being a fairly friendly, cheerful woman who doesn't particularly mean any harm. That gap between her character and her actions means that almost no appeal will be able to permanently correct her actions.

kyuukestu, Sharudeis, Neiden and 2 others like this.
  2. Belgarion_V

Belgarion_V 『The Supreme Chuuni』『Explosion Loli』

Reading List:
    Link
    docemoon145 likes this.
  3. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, that helps a lot! :D
    I was gonna set up a thread for DCS right after this. They're both multi-volume stories, so I figured (hoped) that things would get too crowded if I tried to bunch them up into one thread.
    I'm always thrilled to find readers where I'm not expecting them! Such a pleasant surprise!

Damyabo likes this.
  4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean by reasonably well adjusted?

5. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She has a good sense of humor, can hold a job, likes cute things, and doesn't want to kill herself. But at the same time, she would be one of the first to devolve into a murderer if a purge was legalized. Basically.

Lyanah likes this.
  6. asdf123

asdf123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im pretty sure im autistic since i form ridiculous opinions off of pointless biases but your stories pic is terrible and im never going to read it because of that.

also any english story with shit grammar/spelling unless the author says esl then i can pretty much forgive anything. ya it makes no sense, im sure your story is great though ive seen it pretty high up on best rated. im still not gonna read it though, pic is bad, ruined my mental image etc. basically i just wanted to type some stuff for a bit. also change your pic to something better google search + any photoshopish thing is op

7. Rui

Rui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye sounds interesting, i don't want to read major spoiler but is it shoujo-ish story style? I don't mind shoujo/shonen thing as long as they are pick my interest, just curious :)

8. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, that means it'd be good for a (younger) female audience, right? Sorry, but I don't know about that. The MC has a pretty lighthearted personality, and that much should be fine, but the things happening around her (and the things she does) are usually... not so much. (If I could be so bold) I would say it's somewhat like Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka? in terms of tone. I wanted it to be a little more Overlord, but I lack ability.

You could always read a bit just to be sure. You won't have to read much (past the prologue) to get a sense for the mc's part of the narrative.

9. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, what about the picture is bad, though? Is it the subject matter? The coloring? (The stupid blur thing I did instead of shading?) The lighting? The balance? The quality? The fact that it's not a realistic/photograph picture?

I was planning to make a better one, but I hadn't settled on any ideas yet. I can change just about anything besides the basic style, since I'm the one who draws these, and that's how my style is.
    So, um, if it's that, then... too bad?

10. kyuukestu

kyuukestu 『Q』『Vampyre Imperatrix』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, it's not often that Authors for RRL books I read appear on NUF~
    Well done with your story btw, it's probably one of the few novels on RRL that I keep up with. Keep it up~

11. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get all warm and fuzzy every time I hear things like this~ It's a good thing that only the text goes through. I'd just embarrass myself if my face was shown. I do that thing where you press your cheeks and dance a litt--why am I describing the embarrassing thing I wanted to hide?!
    Ehem. Thanks, I'm touched. :)

kyuukestu likes this.
  12. asdf123

asdf123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oo i was thinking of a different orc pic.

but yours turns me off as well. too bright, too purple. either go minimalist, iconic, or high detail deviant art. but i also know nothing about art, ya your post has pretty much confirmed that im probably autistic haha

13. Rui

Rui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh now you've done it, overlord and kumo chan-ish? I have high expectations of your work, I'll give it a try once i got home!!!

14. Wolfick

Wolfick Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best I can give you, and try not to take too hard, but the artwork is childish. Not the design or anything, but the quality of the picture itself. As fan art, it's not bad, but for a book cover it's nowhere near good enough.

You need to be careful when doing images of people for cover art, the standard needs to be extremely high. If you can't do that yourself or get someone to do it for you, you should stay as far away from it as possible. In such a case, sometimes the simplest things can be the best things. A nice texture with your book title embedded on is easy, neat, and looks good. If your confident and can do a clean job, then include some cartoon figures of your work, but stay away from realism.

I could critique the rest of the image, but I'm sure you understand my point of standard of quality.

15. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I won't improve if I let my pride get in the way. If the design is fine, then I think I'll experiment with a bit of recoloring. The current cover was made in paint (with some photo-editing effects thrown on top to compensate for my lack of ability), but I've learned to use gimp since then. I think I could do a bit better.

Also, here's what the cover looks like now, for anyone else who wants to throw out an opinion.
    [​IMG]

16. Wolfick

Wolfick Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to try improve your current picture, first you need to work on shadows. Next is detail, pants are too basic, your orc girl also has overly fat thighs, maybe thin those a bit. add some detail or texture to the clothing as well. The skin is also too unitone. The orc girl appears to be standing up rather than sitting on the chair (from her bottom half perspective). The throne is also very basic, I would expect some gilding or something if its a throne, not just a fancy homemade chair I'd buy off etsy.

Well, keep tweaking it, one small improvement at a time. Don't try to do too many things at once or you may end up going backwards.

17. docemoon145

docemoon145 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the good ideas! I'll take it a little bit at a time and, hopefully, something good will come out.

18. KSanty

KSanty Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read the story's first 29 chaps a few years ago and am going to pick it up now
    Came to this forum and somewhat upset that there won't be any romance...
    I guess i'm just used to reading romance but my brain that came to love the heroine is like... She deserves love too!!!!