Discussion (RANT) Stupid mc

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ChickenBakuba, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenBakuba

ChickenBakuba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok every one in a while you see a supposedly smart mc making fucking stupid choices. For example, let's say in game novels where the mc doing stupid deals like giving away all the loot for some lousy reason which the author tries to justify with. Why the hell must the mc be so fucking considerate? He did the most work, he led them through the dungeon and he jolly well get at least 60% of the deal. But no, he finds ONE good item, keeps it for himself and forgets about the rest of the loot magnanimously. Bruh this isn't salvation army, and you'll never get competitive being a nice guy. He should always grab the most his arms can hold. It's fine to be a nice guy but it's certainly not fun when his niceness conflicts with all mcs' goals -- power.

The mc can be nice, and I wouldn't mind if he's a bit slow or stupid in the head but HE MUST NEVER BE NAIVE/IGNORANT. The worst thing is watching your mc be ignorant to the affairs of the world or not knowing how the world works. Then he doesn't make the most out of deals or draws the short end of the stick/be scammed by some common hoodlum before finding out it's a divine item from the gods and he was just under plot armour

Take one of those isekai novels. In that notorious smartphone isekai anime the mc is offered 100 vel/gold/currency for his shirt. The mc naively agrees on the spot. Why for the love of god would you do that you pretentious dickhead? That shirt made by modern technology could have gone for a much higher price if you asked another tailor down the road. Or maybe if you bargained you could get it for ten extra digits. Perhaps you could even auction it off. You don't even know if he was selling it to you in zimbabwe (100 trillion dollars of zimbabwe is 40 us cents) and blatantly exploiting you. Then again this is very understandable since it's some comedy slice of life genre bullshit and I'm just nitpicking.

Being a charitable man in a dog eat dog world? Pfft go feed that kindness to the dogs. This is partially why I love Leylin. His character never strays from rational. Kys mc

--

Ok that was unsightly but i really needed it

EDIT: Bois in case you don't know I'm just using smartphone isekai as an extreme example. There are a thousand different ways it could have gone for that mc to earn one more cent or a thousand different ways he could've tripped up (Gets raped and gets his shirt stolen or some other retarded shit) but that's not the point. My main point is mcs having their kindness conflict with their goal.

Im talking about where the mc clearly does something out of altruism, something out of pure good intent, with little to zero benefits. He does this wrongly because it conflicts with his goals or interests. The author pulls out a half-assed reason out of his ass in a poor attempt to justify his reasons.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    GrimVeilRule, Celes, Eques and 2 others like this.
  2. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I almost want to rant about all the people that keep mistaking niceness with stupidity.
    It is a personality trait, not a sign of either having or lacking intelligence.

Vocah, Fluffums, StuffedDuck and 9 others like this.
  3. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I am just here because I am here.

4. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's only stupid when it's detrimental to themselves or people close to them. Otherwise it's just being a nice person...

5. GilgameshX2114

GilgameshX2114 Eccentric Gil, Almighty Immortal, God of All

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than stupid mcs, what pisses me off more are the idiotic villains...

Shirasaya, StuffedDuck, Zerak and 3 others like this.
  6. Celes

Celes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to rant too! MC once smart and ruthless but he become stupid instantly to the point he easily taken advantages yet he still claim to be the smartest person! OH GAWD! and there is also a MC that has a great ambition but what the heck? it becomes a slice of life wtf. Same with the revenge plot, MC forgive them for a lame reason OH GAWD Y U DO DIS

7. Robinxen

Robinxen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see the problem with the Smartphone example.
    It's not like he has anything else to sell, and he needs money before he can do anything like finding another tailor in another town.
    (Not to mention sticking out like a sore thumb if he doesn't switch to match the locals)

8. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    I 100% AGREE WITH YOU!, of all the shits i hate the most would be the stupid mc they proclaim them smart while doing the most irrational action i ever seen, and author be like its "Plot" and they do it without explanation on the mc action why he ever though of doing that.

zman likes this.
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I partly agree and I partly disagree.

It depends on the situation. One thing you don't want to do is incite greed, if you take too much, even if you did most of the work you could be backstabbed and left for dead as they loot you. Second of all it is sometimes important to build relations with people that can be worth more than the items in long term.

Of course in some novels MC can be a bit "too generous".

Well if you are in a different world, it isn't strange to be naive or ignorant about stuff or how the world works. Of course you shouldn't be naive by earth common sense though.

I personally would do same thing as the person from Smartphone. I'm in a middle ages world, some guy who seems to be rich enough to be a noble offers me a good sum of money for my shirt which I know isn't anything special. May I be able to sell it for more? Maybe yes, maybe no. By the time I get to town the shirt could be ripped up and worthless. Getting some money, being on good terms with someone rich, getting to town and not picking a fight with someone who seems rich enough to be a noble is worth more than a shirt. (Sometimes you need to value your gains and losses)

10. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Idiot MC’s don’t piss me off unless there’s a ‘genius protagonist’ tag..

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Superioreos

Superioreos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although I get what you mean, when a protagonist whose goal is to stop some huge evil gives things which could help him become stronger to others who would get less use out of it, that doesn't make the MC nice, it makes him stupid.
    If the MC is fighting for the sake of saving the world (like in many novels) refusing power out of "niceness" is just selfish because the MC should do everything he can to get more power (as long as it is not evil, if we are dealing with a "good" protagonist). Sharing power or items with useless people when the world is relying on you is stupid. Putting the world in jeapordy to satisfy your own impulsive kindness is ridiculous and borders on an evil act through sheer stupidity.
    These heroes don't understand the concept of utilitarianism, and it pisses me off.

12. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some you are mixing up kind and nice.

13. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So in the same alley as you. Yes I get it with the pride shit, but if you can burn down another tribe and rape and enslave the women, you probably have more brains in dealing with MCs. I hate authors who write villains to be hated and killed off chapters later.

zloi medved likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted to say something but this thread is so dumb reading it gave me eye cancer
    And we wonder why poverty still exists in the 21st century
    :facepalm:

0000000 and Rickymex like this.
  15. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He also got a free ride to town, free information and a friendly connection to a decently high level merchant.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Nadjiran

Nadjiran New Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    That doesn't mean people should be calling characters stupid for being nice even in stories where it doesn't matter.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hindsight is 20/20 hence why going back in time novels are popular.
    That genre has spoilt readers who now expect Protagonists to be seers

0000000 likes this.
  19. ChickenBakuba

ChickenBakuba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your points, but as for the first one, inciting greed? Jesus if his teammates are getting more THAN THEY THINK THEY SHOULD, then the mc has went wrong somewhere. I'm not talking about 90-10 splits, I'm talking fair, rational splits where everyone agrees that the mc got his fair share that he worked for. Say, 60-40 and in extreme cases 70-30. If even then the people pick a fight with you for being too rich then mc has got more asses to kick that's all. I mean, he's the op mc.

And btw guys I'm not trying to say that the mc in smartphone isekai was really fucking stupid i'm using him as an extreme example in case you don't know. The point isn't that mc could've done a thousand more things to earn that one more cent but the fact that mcs keep having their kindness and goals clash.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop calling it free, that fuels the misunderstanding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.