Qidian's Paywall

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ragnar, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, Qidian behaves like shit.

But pirate aggregator sites are even shittier.

In the end, Qidian can only steal novels that were published on the chinese Qidian. But pirate sites steal everything. When you use a pirate site to read a Qidian novel, you won't just be harming Qidian, you'll be harming every translator cos you help make the pirate site popular, which then help it attract more readers. And these readers may end up reading every novel on that site, not just the Qidian novels.

If you want to 'protest' against Qidian by not reading on its site, then you can either not read at all, or use MTL. Using pirate sites is the stupid way, as you'll end up damaging the entire community.

2. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen a pirate site that only hosts Qidian stuff actually

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  3. KvnJrch

KvnJrch Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Should've brought down

4. Christianchannel

Christianchannel Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's a form of rehab for the people who got addicted ? lol jk

5. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Precisely why I'm still not reading Release the Witch even though people kept recommending it.

If anyone knows if it's dual-hosted by the translator (like how The King's Avatar is also hosted on GT) I'd be really thankful to know.

6. Kzhckz.

Kzhckz. [Sad] [Angry] [Happy]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it just me or qidian really just made micro transaction in their platform?

I mean, i save one novel till i can read it in batch, yet they lock its chapter for stones? I can get it if they just lock its chapter and unlockable by ads, but for majority of it can't be unlocked unless you pay stones... It hurts...

I really like qidian in the past...

7. Inute

Inute Daydreamer

Reading List:
    Link
    they are kinda in debt rn so theyre going paywall to get money

8. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume its locked for a day or so....I guess it's fine, no different than patreon which gives people who pay the ability to read chapters ahead of time...IF the translator gets most of the money from it...if they don't, then fuck this system.

Enigma and Shance like this.
  9. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
  10. nazmulm

nazmulm The Lord of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    you could just wait till they aren't locked anymore because they are "bonus chapters" or use something to get around it if it really bothers you that much

11. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    If only we had locked Qidian topics as well.

12. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They still release chapters for free according to their schedule. Meaning usually 1 free chapter a day. The locked chapters are extra chapters if u want 2 read ahead the free release. Like if you want to read ahead in other novels you donate on patreon for access. As for I'd tler gets anything from it, idk.

13. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    They're locked more than a day, because they release dozens of premium chapters. But the premium chapters transition out according to the normal release schedule. Also, @Parth37955 / @Westeller can't we lock this thread? It's huge :/

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  14. Crazyh3

Crazyh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like a novel and it's locked, you can use all your spirit stones on that novel and just watch the ads on other novels. You get 5+5+daily bonus+watch an ad on mobile spirit stones per day, so that's around 2 premium chapters per day for free still. This is enough to keep up to date on 1 premium novel of your choice.

^^ Thanks to this kind of stuff I'm nothing like as bothered by the paywall as I thought I was going to be.

15. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's really not the point, at all. It's the scope of their reach. Especially as they annex other novels from other publishers that the translators have been swapping to, then license them for their own sites. The availability of non-webnovel.com reads is slowly dwindling. A large portion of NovelUpdates daily releases on the homepage are now on their site.

Watching some ads to unlock a shown chapter is fine. So, when it shows up that a new chapter is availabe, you can still access it. It's when you get there on their site and load the chapter, waiting for the fading to finish showing up the rest of the text only to scroll down and find it locked that is heinous. I felt like an utter idiot for clicking and thinking it was going to load a few times for LoHP, only to remember that it wasn't a present icon on the chapter, but a lock.

QIdian doesn't differentiate the status on their Recently Updated chapters or Feed, so you never know until you click on it. You just see that it's a new one.

Honestly, I haven't felt like such a tool for the bait and switch since Rick Rolls were running rampant over ten years ago.

I have nothing against charging for reading a chapter, just make sure it's clearly labeled on the entrance. At least with something like Praetron they're all in a another area so that you don't pop in thinking you have something new to read, only to find out you're going to be waiting around like an ass.

16. xconan25x

xconan25x Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its happening now. I miss old days like the reader choose to donate whenever they want.

Now they releasing 3+ bonus chapter and unlocking only 1 chapter of that 3 ch a day sometimes unlock 2. Imagine that it accumulate a month. And they say it sake of translator.

Im not against translator want to earn a little bit of money but if this paywall bonus chapter like this keep happening Im afraid that all the translated chapter in the future is needed you to pay in order to read them in the future.

Well thats the system that qidian/webnovel made. Im afraid that other translated novel outside of qidian/webnovel will be absorbed by them also by them for copyright infringement.

No hard feeling guys its only my personal opinion. Well where the one fault here (I mean reader) who get to read and become fan of chinese novel and didnt even know how to read chinese and made it popular internationally. Well some people think this line of business can make money so guys what do you think?

17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone will just make another, though...

AliceShiki and Shield Loyalist like this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The thread didn't break any rules, so why lock it?
    Also this.
    Pointless worry.

Qidian might implement a full paywall some day in the future, but that will not make the rest of the community do, you can count on 2 hands the amount of sites that earn anything that is enough to pay bills from translations.

Nobody will make a paywall if they don't have enough readers for it.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  19. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to use both hands? Are you sure?

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, not at all.

But maybe there is some site out there that I never heard of that barely gets enough to pay bills through translation, so... I prefer to use a higher number for safety.

Most likely though, one hand is enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.