Programming Question

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by SageRozenburg, Mar 9, 2018.

1. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    what language should i uses if im to create a online ordering system? somewhat like ebay.

2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you going for something easy to set up and configure? Or do you have a custom layout in mind that no one else has ever done before?

Do you have any idea how many sales you plan to make over a month? How soon do you need it?

Will you be catering to smartphone users or desktop users?

3. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly java.

justmehere likes this.
  4. TamaSaga

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell jokes after the OP gets his answer...

justmehere likes this.
  5. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm serious, yeah they use various programming like phyton or c++, but they mostly use java for the website foundation.

Edit: i'm talking about ebay website.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Xhzero, TamaSaga and justmehere like this.
  6. Zurkei

Zurkei Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you looking to actually program this? Or would choosing an existing system meet your needs? I ask this because I have often had clients ask me to program them something similar, and the solution is almost always to get them set up with an existing e-commerce software, they are just unaware that there is a difference.

7. asdf123

asdf123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    need more specifics lol

8. Zurkei

Zurkei Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He isn't joking eBay uses what they call eBox which is built with j2ee as the foundation, however, they use more than just that as all major tech websites do. Though I would mainly disagree with telling a user to seriously use java to build an e-commerce website.

kjoke, TamaSaga and justmehere like this.
  9. TamaSaga

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I was surprised to see that this was possible.

10. kjoke

kjoke Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SQL, PHP, HTML, CSS, JS
    I don't know much about server-side java but perhaps that as well...but you probably can't do without the others for a project like this

11. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites

And from my person experience, it depends if you're building your own CMS.

If not, learn Javascript. Basically, need that no matter what for a user friendly interface.

As it's a website, you'll of course need to know HTML and CSS.

And then, you pick your serverside language.

Java is becoming outdated, so there is PHP, C++, Scala, and Ruby, Perl, Python.

Going to have to do your research to determine the limitations of each. But, PHP is the most flexible.

I wouldn't use ASP.NET just because it may prove difficult in flexibility.

And then there is me not knowing anything about Scala, Ruby, Perl, and Python... so...

Oh, and knowing SQL for databases is good.

Honestly, it depends on what you are building. The sky is the limit.

Have an idea. Think of how you can scale. Find what you need to build it and scale it, and then do it.

Otherwise, this question will not be answered seriously.

12. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a prototype, for presentation, the language i used in the past are assembly, c++, c#, java, php, html, another question, is java in eclipse different for java in websites?
    edit: sql

I just need a prototype for presentation, i cant possibly make this on my own unless a have a long schedule, c++, c#, java, php, html unfortunately i dont know javascript

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018
  13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can use just about whatever you want for the server-side backend. Of the languages you mentioned, Java or PHP would be your best bets. Since they're commonly used server-side, there should be ample resources online if you have any issues. The backend just needs to interface with your database solution, perform whatever you need it to do and send it to your frontend. Both languages have their pros and cons, so you'll need to research which one would work best for your case.

Whatever backend you decide to use, you can continue to use it for your frontend or use something else. Based on the languages you know, a combination of PHP and JS (you need to learn JS) would work well. The frontend basically just converts your language of choice into something a browser can display (HTML, CSS, and JS).

Making something usable from scratch will probably take you a while, especially if you've never done anything like that before. As @J-Mitch said, you'd need to give us more info about the project to get any better answers than vague suggestions.

If you're in a hurry, I recommend using something pre-built.

Edit:
    Forgot to mention. If you're familiar with Java, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up javascript. While you're learning JS, take a look at node.js.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  14. TamaSaga

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're just going to make something quick for presentation, try using something like Magento or some other ready-made E-Commerce framework. PITA to modify if it doesn't meet your requirements but it's been designed to fit like 70% of the use-cases out there so it might be usable for your purposes with a little configuration.

Magento uses PHP and lots of it. I'm sure you can look around if you need it in another language though.

15. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you had to ask this question, then just pick anything you're comfortable with and go ahead. If you're still not comfortable with anything in particular, pick something that looks easy.

*When* you finish your prototype you'll know if it's enough, or if you need to improve performance.

Try not to ask this kind of questions because programming is very subjective. Some people have it easier to grasp C-like languages, others ML-like languages. Some people grasp easier imperative programming, others functional programming. Heck, I've even worked with programmers who graduated from college understanding threading and shit and still struggled to understand JavaScript's event loop.

I bet there's someone out there who finds bash+sed the fastest way to build a website.

16. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    It would require several things. First you'd need the "front-end" (what people see, and how the webpage works on the surface level), which is done with Javascript (nothing to do with Java!), Html, and CSS, or with a bunch of things that eventually become Javascript (like CoffeScript, and even things like Scala.js).

Then you need some "backend" to do most of the things that are actually going on; transactions, handling the database, handling requests, validating things, etc. This is where you can choose pretty much any language, even Javascript (with nodejs), but certainly also Python, Java, presumably C++, etc.

You would probably also need a database. I'm not an expert on those, but there's several. SQL? PostreSQL? MySQL? Again, you'd need to look into this on your own.

If you're actually planning to do something concrete, I'd recommend against "reinventing the wheel"; there's tons of libraries out there that can do a lot of the heavy work. A lot of cool application programming is just finding the right tools and gluing them together. In those cases, you probably would want to use a programming language that has just the right tools and libraries you need.