Discussion Dropped vs New Korean novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Chamber, Mar 11, 2018.

?

Would you like to see more new Korean novels or see dropped ones picked back up?

1. more new novels!

34.6%
  2. Please pick [ ] back up!

65.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamber

Chamber Mecha Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, NUF, Chamber here.

Someone asked me for a Korean novel recommendation recently, and I browsed through some of the Korean novels on NU.

Then, I found a huge problem.

We have a huge influx of new dropped Korean novels.

Yes, people, I used 'new' and 'dropped' together.

Among the 50 latest additions to the list of Korean novels, with the exception of translations on wuxiaworld forums and completed novels, more than half of them are 'dropped'. Either by the unspoken 3-month rule or the declaration from the group/translator.

I, as someone who is translating formerly dropped novels, find this very displeasing.

I also keep reading new Korean novels on Munpia, and find multiple series that are very interesting, but I hold back for the sake of the readers.

That's why I want to ask you,

Let's say that there are more Korean translators (very unlikely to happen.).

(1)Would you like to see them pick up dropped novels (like me), or keep introducing new Korean novels that they will likely to irresponsibly drop later anyway? (Yes. I'm salty)

(2)What is your opinion on this matter?

(3)Do you think Korean translators are mostly irresponsible?

(4)Do you think it's just as common in CN and JP (btw, that's a bad thing, consider the ratio of KR novels on NU...)?

(5)If you want a series (KR) picked back up, which one do you wish to see read again? (I might consider doing it...)

P.S. I'm watching you Myoniyoni, LiberSpark, Kobatochandaisuki, and LightNovelsBastion...

P.P.S (6)Should I try making a munpia ranking's list?

P.P.P.S I'm sorry for asking too many questions, I've put numbers so just answer them in numbers too if you wish...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2018
    Fuyuneko, Blitz, Cfourify and 8 others like this.
  2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Kr novels dropped easily...... *remembers lms has gone through 7 groups*
    1.Maybe something like one dropped followed by a new one followed by a dropped one and so on. Also I recommend doing something like teasers for new ones to gauge popularity and avoid more novels getting dropped
    2. I would like new ones but the old ones also need to brought to completion.
    3. Not really, but considering the low amount of kr novels here and low amount of kr translators, dropping every novel contributes more to the overall view of irresposibility than for cn and jp
    4. Yes
    5. Let me think about this
    6. Yes

3. SayMrrp

SayMrrp 抱抱爆爆宝宝

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I'd like to see dropped novels come back.
    2. It's a shame good novels with high ratings/potential are dropped.
    3/4. Nah and yeah, I think it's normal for people to give up on writing/translating, especially if they don't get much attention.
    5. I really want Elqueeness, since it's a good book, one of my favorites.
    (I'm not asking for you to translate them unless you want to, but here are some books I haven't read but am interested in with few chapters translated and seem dropped: Luna, Reincarnation of a Superstar, Doctor of the Demon World, God Hunter, He's the Legendary Guard, Isn't He?, Lucia, Hello Brother, Running Away from the Hero (Remake), The Scholar's Reincarnation, Magician of Insa-Dong, and Eating an Actor's Book.)
    6. If you want?

PS: It's nice that you've noticed the issue of dropped novels!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Ullio likes this.
  4. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    I would go down from a Munpia ranking list and choose what you like from there to translate

SayMrrp likes this.
  5. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    1.depend i dont really want you to burn out
    3. Not really, some japanese novel also went thru many hand
    4.yes
    5.there is one KR Possessing Nothing, in a sense those 47 is just prologue. I am wondering how would the story progress
    6. I rather you choose what KR novel that you want to translate,

however my top KR priority is still God of Music

Nino Sasou likes this.
  6. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    1- I want to finish the novels! (pick the dropped)!
    2 - The dropped also are interesting!
    3 & 4 - Not really, but the problem is that they are fewer than CN and JP translators.......
    5 - Elqueeness!!!! My baby must be finished!!

Ullio, araarq and SayMrrp like this.
  7. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Well some of the dropped korean novels were requested taken down by the publisher? So sort of not surprised more and more are dropping (Like munpia already made a deal with GT? so GT might just take up new ones)

So I guess it might be safer just to pick up a new one

8. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Some of the KR novels have readers so i think finishing the old ones first before picking up new ones after? Or if they can do picking up while doing new ones as side jobs would be good
    2. Its been a pain waiting for Lazy Swordmaster. Likely because its nearing the climax.
    3. Maybe? I dont criticize them but it sure is a pain looking at where they stop.
    4. Its like, 60% CN, 20% JP and 20% KR for my perspective.
    5. The Lazy Swordmaster
    6. If you can then maybe yes? But i prefer reading chapters than lists tho.

Ullio likes this.
  9. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IllI rather see them picked up again. Especially The First Hunter, Possessing Nothing, and Ark The Legend. Also The World After the Fall.

I think the ratio is just low, do it's more obvious they are getting dropped.

10. Chamber

Chamber Mecha Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    It is on hiatus on the original site. And the last announcement said that it might continue in March (soon?) But readers seem to be skeptical

Blitz and katokashi like this.
  11. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    (1) Dropped.
    (2) Isn't the main reason why series are dropped because the series over at Munpia gets the paywall? I mean, it's nice to read ~30 chapters for free, but when you have to pay per chapter afterward, not many people are willing to do so.

That's the main problem on the monetary side.

On the other hand, there aren't many half-Koreans or Koreans willing to translate. Sure, there are a lot of Koreans, but compared to how many half-Chinese, Chinese, half-Japanese, Japanese people willing to translate, not to speak of the number of people from other ethnicities willing to translate, it's quite a small community.
    (3) No.
    (4) Yes. Me, for example. I decided to go on a 2-month hiatus all of the sudden.
    (5) N/A.
    (6) It might be nice for people who are willing to pick up Korean novels(which I assume is few). Then they know which series is more popular, but will it be from Munpia itself, or based on other factors like readers?

Fuyuneko likes this.
  12. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends:
    • If I am invested in the dropped novel I would like to have someone pick it up and continue/finish it ...
    • If I didn't read the novel I would prefer someone to start a novel that would be more interesting ... *cough* <The Scholar's Reincarnation> *cough*

However, in the end, it is up to the translator to select the novel/genre he/she/it wants to translate and unless I employ/pay the translator for the work done I'll have no real word to put in ...

For translators dropping a novel ... not much to say about it (besides that it is sad for the readers). However, it really shouldn't be too much to ask for that the translator informs the readers - just some little courtesy.

Regarding the ranking list ... unless *cough* someone *cough* adds a short summary/description of the story it wouldn't be too useful in my humble opinion - most often the official summaries are ... not really telling anything about the story.

In general, I hope for more novels in the type of Heavenly Demon's Rebirth (both stories), TSR and other wuxia/martial arts novels with a slice of comedy.

13. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    1 i favour to new one. Seriously i got tired from kr novel with reincarnator like plot or like life game for humanity. Its good but too much exposure of it make it really boring
    2 imo many dropped kr novel due to irregular/ slow release, especially 1/week was not enough
    3 its their concern if they busy with rl and dropped the novels. Tler come and go
    4 its same. Many jp & cn novel dropped by translator, you can see it in pickup request
    5 big life. Kr novel really lack slice of life / relaxing novel
    6 not really care. I believe tler should work the project they really want/love

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Shratath

Shratath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think having a top list of Munpia novels would be nice if u do it :p
    Also i would love Hunter of the Ruined World being picked back, that LightNovelsBastion has 4 months that wont translate it (and i didnt see any notification of this being droped :/ sb correct me) :blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood:

15. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    P.P.P.P.S You should Join Fantasy-Books

16. Chamber

Chamber Mecha Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    P.P.P.P.P.S. Nope (military in 4 months... orz)

17. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    According to turtle the story after that dragged and went downhill, so she dropped it rather than finished with disappointing ending *cough dimensional sovereign*

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Stop fucking picking up series just to dropping them 50 chapters later!
    2) If a translator is only picking up a series because they think it'll give them views then they just drop it if it fails to meet their expectation it really fucks over the people that actually like it.
    3) I don't know them, can't say
    4) For CN I think it's more common because of Qidian.
    5) Big Life

otaku31 likes this.
  19. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    P.P.P.P.P.P.S (Good Luck, I wish you the best. Stay Safe.)

Wujigege and otaku31 like this.
  20. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    id love it if someone manages to traslate Possessing Nothing
    too bad its behind a pay wall starting ch 50 and i aint got no money

otaku31 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.