Wuxiaworld Ending HJC Translation...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by rwxwuxiaworld, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    By golly! I am the OG villain around here and no one can top me! Fee fie foe fum, I am [okay this would be really bad, I'll stop]. :p

In general it's really bad to have multiple translators on one novel @Fermi. Case in point -- Doomed to be Cannon Fodder had eight translators (give or take) on it and I was the master translator in charge of making sure all names were correct, writing style was similar, terms translated consistently, etc. It was absolutely painful work, something I don't want to repeat again, and that was only 293 chapters with a team of really good translators. Multiple translators is only possible when someone is running the ship with a steady hand, and even then it's a mind numbing task for the person in charge.

2. Devshard

Devshard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta up your game @etvolare. Get on EFT's level.

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  3. BloodAdept

BloodAdept Blood Sacrifice Practitioner

Reading List:
    Link
    They must have read the wuxia dream versions. oh wait! they hired those idiots :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::blobpopcorn::facepalm:

4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't Like this post enough. I actually forgot about that! :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

5. BloodAdept

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right? I had to stop and think who the group was prior to remembering they got hired by them.

Edit: if I actually used their forums I'd totally point out that fact to them...

6. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    The really bad thing, though, is that they fired them.. and then rehired them! At least, that's what I heard.

Last I checked, they're still working for them.

7. BloodAdept

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably during their initial "we don't use mtl here" phase, then decided it was close enough probably

8. Fermi

Fermi 〔 ALT+F4 〕

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. I think it's okay if there's more than one. Maybe not eight like in etvolare's case, but it definitely can work. And I say this as someone who has worked both as a solo translator and as a team translator. I think the key is to have a good editor that will smooth out the discrepancies and to have a glossary that will keep terms consistent. I also think more complicated novels will have a tougher time, since there's more to keep track of. It would need the right conditions to work, but I don't think it's a terrible idea all around.

So many novels get dropped without even being completed. Personally, I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of literary consistency if it means that the novel I'm reading at the very least gets completed. I say this especially as someone who prefers reading more niche novels, which have a more unreliable release rates than novels on sites like WW or Volare.
    Yes, I have worked on online group projects. They can be a horror if you don't have a good leader and good communication. If a member is slow or inexperienced, I'd lessen his burden. Instead of having to translate 1 chapter every week, I'd shorten it to 1 chapter every two weeks or whatever is appropriate. Then pace wouldn't be that big of a problem. But yes, you hit diseconomies of scale when you have too much people.

Massive respect for that. Eight translators is a lot to manage, and Doomed to be Cannon Fodder turned out really well. You took on a lot by both translating and running the ship.

Westeller likes this.
  9. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I agree. It can work fairly well. WuxiaWorld's collaboration on this novel will no doubt serve as evidence of that. I only meant that for the *best* quality, a single translator is the way to go. Sometimes the flaws in a group effort can be subtle, but I dare to guarantee there will be flaws that are caused purely by the conflict between multiple translators working on the project.

.. And that's just when good translators cooperate.

For novel translations around here, though, it's downright impractical due to the wildly varying skill level of fan translators. Some groups could do collaboration projects, but wanting it to be a common thing is a pipe dream, y'know?

Fermi likes this.
  10. BloodAdept

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest now that I remember WD, i'm amazed they aren't the translator poaching HJC to begin with.

Shield Loyalist and Westeller like this.
  11. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    1 chapter per week? That isn't enough for me to put up with all the problems that managing a group makes. I normally publish 4 chapters per week. It wouldn't make sense to get a translator and manage him or her for a mere 1 chapter per week. The time I spend chasing that 1 chapter would be better spent just doing the chapter myself. Also, how would you split the Patreon money when some people contribute a lot less than others?

But the real problem is that there are very, very few people who will consistently put out even one chapter per week. Just take a look at all of the inactive projects. I'm guessing that projects with inconsistent/slow updates are much more numerous than the fast, consistent ones, especially if you don't include the big guys who make a lot of money.

Edit:

Just realized that you probably did mean the big websites with lots of money, lol.

They probably just can't find a lot of really good and really consistent translators.

Westeller likes this.
  12. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

:facepalm: Somehow I feel like the whole shenanigans with QI, really is them acting out the stories they publish.

It's like, "As the Notable Villain, we have every right to misconstrue words and agreements we make; past, present and future for any profit, pleasure and ultimately for reputation self-destruction."

It's almost as if, they wanted to go down a villainous route full well knowing the outcome.

But as we've seen countless times with their words and actions, they fail to grasp that the western community, doesn't really conform to eastern logic(specifically whatever their business model is).

14. Fermi

Fermi 〔 ALT+F4 〕

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry if I didn't write clearly. That 1ch/week was just a hypothetical example trying to illustrate my point. I wanted to show that if the burden is too much for someone, I'd just lower the burden on them to keep the pace up.

That's a good point you bring up about Patreon though. Maybe split it by how much each person translated? Or split it evenly if everyone meets the quota they were supposed to translate? I'm not too sure, and I think the decisions will vary between groups.

I agree with what you said in the last paragraph.

15. Ma_Gi

Ma_Gi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So.. Qidian is posting three parts as one chapter at once everyday... while WW are posting two parts everyday.
    This is WAR, and I like it. :blobpopcorn:

16. Ryogawa

Ryogawa Translator on Volarenovels and Liberspark

Reading List:
    Link
    There's something interesting you might want to note about splitting income from Patreon or any other source. A novel's readerbase (and consequently, patronage) grows only when there are frequent releases, so splitting income based on weekly chapter quota alone is a little unfair to the one doing more of the quota.

E.g. say a translator does four per week and the other only does one. One might be tempted to say that the second translator should receive a fifth of the income, but it's harder to decide on a proper figure in actuality, as without the first translator's huge effort in 'carrying' the novel (essentially building up its readerbase through heavily increasing weekly release frequency), the overall patronage wouldn't even grow substantially to begin with the one-per-week update frequency the second translator is contributing. It's not a simple matter about the amount of work, but rather, the significance/impact of the amount of work.

I hope I'm making enough sense here. XP

17. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    The chapters are divided into "parts" on both WuxiaWorld and Qidian's side.. the difference is just the numbering...

They're like that because the chapters are posted that way in the raws, originally. .. I mean, I don't know if I'd say they're "parts," honestly, but they all follow the Chapter Title (1).. Chapter Title (2)... Chapter Title (3) .. New Chapter Title (1)... format. So I can see why Zen considered them parts instead of using the same numbering QI does.

EFT did release their last two "chapters" as all the "parts" together, but they released a number of individual "parts," too, and all of this was done today in the form of a mass release as part of their big "announcement," so it's too early to say they'll continue doing that. They probably won't. .. Rather, they shouldn't. Seriously.

I mean.. It's honestly sort of stupid. If they want to translate all the "parts" of a "chapter," they should release them individually, because that's the way they are in the raws. If they stack them together it not only accomplishes nothing, but also makes each chapter much, much longer -- inconveniencing readers in terms of keeping up with where they stopped.

Imagine if another novel, with more conventional numbering, just randomly stacked three or four chapters together into one mega chapter for no apparent reason. That'd be pretty much the same situation. .. It's just.. Why?

In what way would Desolate Era, for example, benefit from having three chapters stuck together on one page.. Book 43 Chapter 3, 4, 5?

Would that *improve* the novel in some way? Why not just keep them split?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  18. Oburi_Rozu

Oburi_Rozu ʅ(◞‿◟)ʃReinedKahel( ̄∀ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    Zen or WW can actually post HJC at such a fast rate. So QI actually made it a good situation for HJC fans? Or am I seeing this situation in a wrong view?

19. swordman009

swordman009 Destroyer

Reading List:
    Link
    In wuxia world we trust! Screw QI and their crappy translations! Lets end it!

20. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    What did Qi do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.