Discussion Qidian professionalism (Nightfall)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Drawyvern, Mar 22, 2018.

?

Do you think all Qidian novels should be of high quality?

1. Perfect quality

15.3%
  2. High quality

49.1%
  3. Low quality

3.1%
  4. Never read from qidian

10.4%
  5. I don't give a damn

22.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drawyvern

Drawyvern Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I previously posted on the discussion page of Nightfall the following:
    I was wondering if it is just me but I am getting more and more bothered by the fact that the official publisher of the novel is willing to present such (not high) quality translations. Most chapters have language errors that can be quite immersion breaking especially when they are describing something in detail but suddenly you get confused with the sentence due to mistakes. They are also not doing enough explanations for stuff like joke or the like. For example
    a quick google search and looking at the raws shows that they are more like Chinese crepes and not hamburgers. I also don't quite understand the underling meaning of the translation of "you have no good Guozi (ends)!".

Don't get me wrong, I am happy there are translations but this is not an unofficial translation so these mistakes keep building up and knowing that they may not clear these mistakes is quite displeasing as I feel that it is not doing the story justice.

I also know that this story is not as popular as there is less face slapping or OP MCs. Unlike, popular LoHP where there is good translation and editing so it is not like the whole site is bad. However, it does not mean a low rating novel should be of low quality.

Although small mistake once in a while is understandable as we are human but having mistake in almost every chapter or having many in a chapter is saddening.:blobcry:

TLDR Do you think all Qidian novels should be of high quality as they are the official translation and how do feel if they are not high in quality?

EDIT: PS: If you can please bring this matter up to the Qidian side. Thank you!:aww:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. godedz017

godedz017 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On my end, I appreciate anything that is better than google translate but as Qidian is the official translator they should be held to higher standard.

I haven't read the qidian version yet so i have nothing to compare it with

Jed1, chomer, NinjaStyle and 10 others like this.
  3. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    If this community were to start enforcing quality requirement then it would dry up overnight

Jed1, Rumby, vlue and 16 others like this.
  4. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Unofficial or fan translators might be willing to spend the time to explain the jokes lost in translation, whereas official are paid for just the chapter content, so while they might, they have less reasons to do so.

Jed1, Rumby, LeeEzekiel and 17 others like this.
  5. Serendipity

Serendipity No one, nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Complain on the qidian discord or forums, they won't see anything over here.

6. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    as someone who reads mtl all the time qidian is... okay?... by comparison atleast the names dont get translated and your like wait was that a persons name this entire time and realize youve been reading a persons name for like 300 chapters and had been thinking it was a talking item or something

lilysmith, Jed1, Rumby and 7 others like this.
  7. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Qi quality doing it's Qi thing. Nothing new here
    *rolls away from the thread*
    #meatbunwashere

Jed1, Rumby, asriu and 12 others like this.
  8. Flamemaster

Flamemaster [TheCakeIsALie][LordOfTheDivineFlame][ThePinkPuff]

Reading List:
    Link
    They should be of high quality but mistakes can happen even japanese translated licensed novels/manga get lots of details lost in translation, try translating a japanese gag manga damn the jokes are really hard to translate unless you can come up with new ones.

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  9. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
  10. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    but as thet stated. . . .
    they are a Corporation!
    and not a fan based group. . .

11. RobotLord

RobotLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I read a TLed Chinese novel that translated a side characters name to "Hairy Balls". I just froze there and processed what I had just read.

Jed1, Rumby, dritch124c and 8 others like this.
  12. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, problem is that qidian is a huge company with a large amount of novels while most fan translators struggle with 3-4. should their quality be higher? yeah. can it be higher right now? no, because so many people are unwilling to even watch ads, so they're making almost 0 money, which is their goal.

13. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    While i do hope that any translated work that i read will be of the highest quality possible, i also realize that people are human and can make mistakes. To me personally the translators and editors are important to the point that i look up tranlators and editors when i am trying to look up for a new story to read. When someone continually does good service they build a brand off of thier name. As of right now the brand of qidian i don't expect anything.

14. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    Its very simple logic, they converted the thing into pure business , i.e. a contract has been signed with the translator to translate x novel for y amount of money/chapter with equal penalties and all. In summary, all's well till they pushes out chapters and there is no big mistake on part of translator. Translator going deeper into such idioms and slogans depends solely on the choice of translator. So far there is no such clause in contract, thus Qidian can't force the translator to do that ...

15. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    it happens to me with this trashy translation(
    Apocalypse Meltdown
    )which made me feel fking annoyed the whole day by the quality of it, i feel like even reading mtl would not make me that much irritated
    sorry even though im a leeching out of it, it just feels like a quality lower than Mtl
    IT FEELS INVISIBLE DRAGON QUALITY FOR FUCKS SAKES.

16. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They sleazebags who just care about fucking money and not the work of they have the audacity to ask for money for tl chap then they better give the damn best but do they NOOO they only care about there fucking money
    While this community should have a leeway that only applies to fan transl or unofficial ones they are a corp and they don't have the right for that leeway

17. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Not this community but Qidian,
    Qidian's is official translation, which mean that quality is expected,

The translator might have less reasons to do it, but the publisher should have more

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  18. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because Qidian isn't a part of this community? Half the threads are about or related to them. That's like saying the left leg isn't a part of the human body

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... I understand the OP's feels, seeing a poorly made official translation is a huge disappointment...
    That couldn't be more wrong.

An unofficial translation might just say the joke was lost in the translation and let you move on with it.

An official translation has to explain it to you... Or rather, they have to try to localize it and make it make sense without a footnote. If they can't do that, then a TN should explain it.

If there is one thing that shouldn't lack in an official translation, is quality, and localizing jokes, puns and the like is definitely something that requires a good translator... Which seems to be lacking on Qidian.

20. Drawyvern

Drawyvern Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind not explaining but if you can't explain than don't give a halfassed explanation that confuses people.It is like someone is saying that there maybe a joke or something smart about this comment but I am not explaining it to you. That is just unpleasant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.