Discussion Qidian professionalism (Nightfall)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Drawyvern, Mar 22, 2018.

?

Do you think all Qidian novels should be of high quality?

1. Perfect quality

15.3%
  2. High quality

49.1%
  3. Low quality

3.1%
  4. Never read from qidian

10.4%
  5. I don't give a damn

22.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is an industry that does not ay well. I believe interpreters make more money. It is a consequence of our low cost culture. Professional translators can charge up to $500 per chapter. The best readers can hope for, is that the translators get better on the job.
    Quality control will be nice, a dedicated them of editors or something, but you have people blocking Qidian, Qidian ad block etc
    I think if the venture was earning enough money then they can focus on improving quality.
    Now they are relying on quantity to generate revenue by pulling in as many readers as possible.
    Also the translators might actually be good but Mao Ni's works are usually very difficult to translate.
    Being fluent in Chinese and English does not work
    even being bilingual might not work either. You might need to have studied Chinese literature in school

PS You had people complain about English licensing companies like Yen Press taking too long to release English translations. Quality takes time.
    You have to give up something, quality if you want quantity

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian is a platform for amateur translators who want to try their hand at machine translation and earn a few bucks. Neither fluent English nor Chinese is required. In fact, many if not most of their translators do not even speak Chinese. It's pretty much impossible to expect accuracy from them. The lack of quality editing, on the other hand, is just a bonus.

Nino Sasou likes this.
  3. Drawyvern

Drawyvern Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THAT IS HOW I FELT OMG!! You said how I felt exactly! Leecher me feels that I should not complain but there must be justice for such a work with great potential!

4. phoenom

phoenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well that happen because QI strategy to get mind share is "Quantity over Quality" . tbh it perfectly good strategy because most of community wanted "big quantity with okayish quality" over "low quantity with Perfect Quality".
    the only few translator that i can think of that can do "big quantity with perfect qualilty" is Ren and Deathblade (which is the only exception on translation community)

5. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure it depends on the translator group. Some Qidian novels have amazing translation. And some are shit with primary school level grammar.

6. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

The real problem is a thorough lack of quality control on Qidian's side. They do have good translators. They're just mixed in with what you could only call "the ten year old neighborhood kid you paid $5 to try translating a novel for you."

7. Drawyvern

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also goddess Rainbowturtle with her good quality and great speed for free too.She is the best imo

Nino Sasou likes this.
  8. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    It's *not* a perfectly good strategy because it ultimately limits your readership. If the goal is to earn any kind of income, they should not be targeting the two out of ten people who can read choppy, extremely poorly edited machine translation and not bat an eye. That's especially true if they plan to reach for an audience outside of the current community, where it's even *more* unlikely that the average consumer is going to be OKAY paying to read something that looks inferior to their middle schooler's homework.

9. Drawyvern

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope the good translators and the shit translators do not get the same pay as that is quite sad for those who work super hard for good quality stuff.

10. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TransN is a terrible translation group on Qidian, their grasp of the English language is faulty at best

11. Gihn

Gihn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For a very good novel, i wouldn't mind watching a 5 minute long ad if that gets them revenue enough to do a proper job of their translation.

Westeller and Drawyvern like this.
  12. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    WuxiaWorld > Qidian in terms of traffic, multiple times over.

Part of this is their business ethics driving away readers, but, ultimately, Qidian's quantity doesn't mean jack shit without quality.

Even if they could attract more readers with quantity, it would still ultimately limit their potential readership. Only a minority of people want to read what amounts to machine translation with terrible editing. It doesn't even matter if it's free. Don't be fooled by the vocal cries for 'faster releases' and public 'I don't give a shit about quality' remarks. The real numbers don't lie.

13. phoenom

phoenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh shit, sorry
    how can i forget our goddes rainbowturle ..
    forgive me goddess

i said to get "mind share" which is to promote QI to reader .
    after that how you can convert your "mind share" into "market share" which lead to income is another problem ( for example upgrading their quality control or that premium chapter etc ).
    for now i think they just want to expand and to beat another translation site mindshare (ie Wuxiaworld)

14. Drawyvern

Reading List:
    Link
    That what I was thinking and currently on the Qidian community there is a saturation of what seems to be people who care only for FACE-SLAPPING KILLER OP MCs or EXP sects, I don't mind too much about them as each their own but there is a lack of other audiences, which I feel would like novels such as Nightfall which is slower but builds the environment. They are missing out by giving lackluster translation which chases people away.

Westeller likes this.
  15. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    Its QiShit even care with professionalism ?

*nah forget it* *im just passing by*

16. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is they can't do that without quality. LNMTL has more translations than anyone! That doesn't mean everyone knows about them or that they're in a position to make money from what they have. Rather, most people don't even want to read there for free. Qidian is ultimately facing the same problem. They're caught between being a peer to WuxiaWorld and being a peer to LNMTL. They are *not* on a good path for the future, and recovering from their current position means just outright deleting a lot of their content and starting from scratch, which becomes more and more implausible as we go. In other words, they're backing themselves snugly into a corner with no good options, and "more quantity!" is definitely *not* a way forward.

Don't think they're suddenly going to improve. No, what you see is what you get.

PotatoZero likes this.
  17. gojinpai

gojinpai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now that they want our money but they keep feed us some half ass translation

18. Drawyvern

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel tempted to drop the novel when the translation is so half ass so I do not think they will profit if they continue like this in the future.

19. Zorgh12

Zorgh12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as I don't pay any bucks for it and they don't go down to MTL level, then I am cool. I mean even if they're giving me a bad translation I wouldn't have known anyway. CN is not something that I would come back reading, they're just stuff that is fun reading in the moment.

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    A good deal of readers are not from English speaking countries with English as their third, fourth or even fifth language. I would argue they do not care or even see much of a difference in the quality. I would argue that it is growing pains as I have seen poor quality even on Wuxiaworld but I compared the releases between them and QI and QI has more releases.
    According to statistics, translators make peanuts, there is a limit to the number of quality translators that any company can find. We have had Apple casegate. Samsung phones exploding. To me it is not a surprise, especially when dealing with a large company.
    Competition will be nice, Crunchyroll also had horrible subs at the beginning or stole fan translations ( see the similarity haha)
    People are mocking QI but these bad practices are pretty standard until they gain a foothold and start chasing quality when they have the quantity they think they need

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.