LCD Zhan Xian

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Keon, Dec 24, 2015.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When he was refining the Heaven Seizing Pill. It was part of the reason why Elder Wu chose not to use the pill.

2. Llamia

Llamia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no. Elder Wu chose not to use the pill because he had an unnatural reliance on it that would cause problems in his cultivation later on. Its like a negative psychological influence. Nothing to do with the pill itself. I'm sure he could've used it if he didn't place so much hope in it rather than in his own abilities.

3. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yea and wasn't that a pill for ascending and not rank ups

4. Llamia

Llamia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a little uncertain on that, but I thought ascension was a rank-up that gave him the ability to ascend. Maybe ascension is a byproduct of the rank-up.

5. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    No, if you re-read that arc, there's a section in one of the chapters where it clearly states that the further you can climb without the assistance of pills, the further you'll be able to climb. It further stated that that was why people who use money and connections to acquire pills to boost their cultivation rarely amount to anything in the long run. Sadly, I don't remember the exact chapter.

6. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    vaguely remember that but I think it was talking about the impurities inherent to low class pills. Having a 3x refined pill have greater effect and largely fewer impurities than regular pills. [3x and up refined pills being rarer since very few alchemist can do that, Medicine Hall Master being one of the few if only present within the PY Sect]

7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, honestly don't remember the exact reason why the pills were supposed to be bad, but even thrice refined pills will still have impurities in them.

8. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    oh right but WAY less than a reg pill. so yes technically eating a 3x foundation pill MAY cause a 'weak' foundation but the chances of that versus taking a reg foundation pill is so low you have a better chance of winning the lottery than having a 3x pill backfire

Llamia likes this.
  9. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if impurities were the problem, then its more about the residue left in your body than the failure rate of the pill, but yes, the problem would definitely be much less for a thrice refined pill than for a normal one.

Also, I think the failure rate is still fairly high compared to winning the lottery. I'd have to find the exact chapter, but I think it was still like 30% or something.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I really wish the author wouldn't focus so much on the MC's BS luck. It just shines a massive spot light on the Deus Ex Machina at play and makes it much harder to ignore.

11. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    what part has been luck? so far I have seen it as prior + acquired knowledge = OPness

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    The sudden development of an ability that the originator of his cultivation technique didn't even suspect dispite practicing it for eons, which just so happens to be the exact ability that the MC needs at that particular moment in time.

13. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    what like making 4 different foundation pills from an untested formula and technique with a 100% accuracy

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  14. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    No, the ability to create perfect replicas of those pills in his spiritual sea that can be studied an manipulated at will.

The 100% accuracy thing can easily be attributed to 10k years of practice combined with his recently acquired guidance from the some of the strongest and most accomplished immortals who ever lived, his extremely high quality stove, the relative simplicity of the recipe and the amount of thought he put into the process beforehand with his thousands of mental simulations. It still has its problems, but it doesn't break willing suspension of disbelief.

When the author goes on and on about how lucky the character is or how fortuitous and unexpected an event is for the character though, that makes it hard for me to mentally sweep it under the rug and ignore the BS nature of it. Though this series still isn't as bad about this sort of thing as a lot of other series out there, or I would have dropped it already.

15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how he's going to explain "wasting" the wood? Ignorance isn't really going to cut it anymore.

16. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    yea considering he's read the entire library then he cant say "oops now what was that stick I saw on the ground really that rare?!?"

jacobpaige likes this.
  17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like he did just plead ignorance. I guess with how hard it was for even the elders to identify it, him not being able to was believable. Still, I expected them to be a bit more depressed that his first thought was "let's make a pill" and not "maybe I should ask someone else what this is."

I hope he isn't able to refine that flame yet. It would just be stretching believability a bit too far if he could do that before jiedan.

18. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    you know whats been bugging me; why is GHS giving YC so much shit? I mean I could understand once Yang Xi becomes a hallmaster or something him using his sect to get at YC but the first case of GHS obstructing YC, YX had only been in the sect a year at best so why? Why would GHS care if PYP had a former executioner as a disciple?

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If the whole point of the formation is to draw power to a single point, then why couldn't he just follow the flow of the power?

Can't help but think that if someone notices him using a technique like this, it'll lead to problems for him.

They didn't. One of their disciples used it as an excuse to persecute him because he was jealous that the MC had received a relatively worthless gift from the girl he liked. It was an extremely petty reason that snowballed into this. Though the jealous actions of that jiedan who didn't want some other sect setting an unbeatable record on the stairs certainly didn't help things. Now the actions that they're taking are mostly to protect their own image by tarnishing his.

On a fundamental level, they couldn't care less that he was an executioner. Even if he was an renowned mortal saint, they'd still have behaved in the same way. Him being an executioner is just the excuse they chose.

The basic problem here is that the GHS is filled with arrogant idiots that think that everything belongs to them, everyone not in the sect is beneath them and that they can do whatever they want to whoever they want for any whatsoever, including none at all. If you just think of them as being extremely petty and overbearing while believing themselves to be invincible rulers of heaven, then their stupidity starts to make sense. As does the desire of the MC to destroy their sect down to the smallest stone.

20. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    oh I get the snowballing effect but didn't he kill the dude that coveted the pill so why did the GHS know or get involved. Besides it was "Uncle Lu" that directed Chu Heng's disciple to give YC a hard time at the entrance ceremony