Recommendations Simple-Minded MC/ML/Supporting Character

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Ruyi, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm....how do I put this. After reading a ton of smart/scheming/intelligent/genius/OP MC novels, I'm in the mood for something a bit different. Novels with so-called simple-minded MCs/main supporting characters sounds like a refreshing change of pace, but not someone who's outright idiotic or annoying. They should be intelligent in their own right but kinda clueless in other aspects, thus making them 'cute.'

Examples of novels with simpleminded MCs:
    -Unruly Phoenix Xiaoyao (Xiaoyao ofc)
    -Sansheng something something River of Oblivion (MC, kinda)
    -Our Second Master (the fem MC)
    -Falling Dreams of Fang Hua (Shao'er's cluelessness almost killed me but thank goodness the words were nice to read)
    -I Reincarnated as a Villainess something something Otome Game (Bakarina, of course)
    -Jiang Hu's Road is Curved (the MC, also man that plot twist was brutal)

Examples of novels with similar MCs that I didn't enjoy:
    Meow Meow Meow (she was a little too clueless so it got tiring after a while)

I know I've read much more but I can't recall them at the moment. Any genre will do but no yaoi please, that's too much for my fragile soul.

Thanks, NUF~

Edit: And no QI series please! They've broken my heart enough times, we're totally through dating now!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Chiiiiiiiii likes this.
  2. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    QilinHorns likes this.
  3. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The man picked up by Gods. the Death Mage who don't wanna die a 4th time. The experiment lot of crazy lich(great plot as well). That's all I can remember sorry.

4. Neydomus

Neydomus Non-Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. crow14

crow14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sound like you just need to find some light-heart one to read because unless it light hearted story lots of simple mind mc come out as annoying instead because most too naive too passive to do anything maybe it just me

6. dio

dio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    how about anime

Koroko no basket
    Magi

8. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now how did I forget record of the unusual creatures and gourmet from another world.

9. Prosperous_Food

Prosperous_Food Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does Here comes the Lady Chef fit your needs? She is simple - she just wants to change her fate. But she is smart at times too.

There are two more new novels about a simple MC that just wants to fill their bellies; they are simple when it comes to other stuff. But when it comes to food, they are super powerhouses.

1. The feast. Simple foodie who love food.
    2. Strange World Little Cooking Saint.

And about a simple father who wants to watch his daughter grow up in a fantasy world. Daddy's fantasy world restaurant,

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh geez, long reply incoming. Thanks guys!
    ....pfft. Not quite what I'm looking for, then.

The Man Picked up by the Gods - whoa, this looks interesting, I'll check it out.
    The Death Mage Who Doesn’t Want a Fourth Time - ah geez, it has a harem, hmm, those tend to bore me
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich - I've heard of this in the past, but it didn't hold my interest. Also it's on...that site. >_>

This is pretty interesting, but some of the male leads put me off. They're...how do I say it? A little stifling at times, if not outright cruel? I can't bring myself to like them and keep hoping the MC could just live her life in peace far, far away from them all. Also read a bit of stuff in the spoiler thread that further put me off. I like the MC fine tho, just wish she had a better setting/love interests!

True, but I have come across serious series with excellent happy-go-lucky protags and enjoyed them equally well. I just can't find them as easily in novel land...

"A female hero who every citizen yearned for, was engulfed in the secret pleasures of a woman."

*squints* Is this yuri? But yeah, I'll prolly skip it b/c of the R18 elements, thanks tho~

Yeah I wanna do novels because they're easier to read on the go. Can't take too much time from translation, ehehe~ Koroko was awesome though, I've seen that one.

Maybe I should've put "non-QI" in the requirements, too ahaha. I'm one of those people who don't read any of the series on their site! ^-^

Wow, are you...a foodie? *squints* Have I seen you in the comments section for Transmigrator Meets Reincarnator yet? Bet you'd love the food descs there.

Here Comes the Lady Chef - sounds really cute, I'll go check it out too
    The Feast - I like how the MC loves to eat. Will give it a chance.
    Strange World Little Cooking Saint:

Shiyu, a modern-day chef, was magically transmigrated into the body of a beggar in a strange world after dying in a car accident. Here is the catch, she knows this strange world.

This world is supposed to be a fictional Immortal world that is created by her two best friends (who are novel writers). When she begged them to include her name as a character in their novel, they agreed and create her as a beggar (as a joke).

Will take a look on the basis of its summary alone. Though, judging from the parent company of these novels, I'm kinda ambivalent too...

TSA - heard of it, thought it was pretty good, but why Qi, why = o =
    Evil God Average - I started this once upon a time! I should pick it up again.

Lightning Empress Maid - this does look promising, I've seen it but never read it yet
    Maid Will Go on Through Thick and Thin! - heck this is adorable, I'm in
    I have been reincarnated... as a love rival's friend - Hmm hmm? I'll go see what this is about too

I vaguely remember reading this series...and getting bored? The whole being a knight thing didn't hold my interest long enough, I guess~ Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Irie likes this.
  14. dio

dio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No yuri in asuka the mc is a male

Ruyi likes this.
  15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember the first one! It was hilarious, I stopped because of updates speed being slow! I'll go see it again.

Second one...hmmmmmm....it's a leisurely story, but a bit too relaxed to hold my interest. Thanks tho!

17. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair warning though that the mc's inner dialogue is something you either love or hate, its... unique because of her background

Ruyi likes this.
  18. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Why Not Soar Your Majesty - i keep seeing this in the updates, but i didn't pay it any attention b/c it was modernverse...still, lots of people seem to like it so i'll go take a peek
    An Oddette’s Otherworld Odyssey - saw this and love it too but WE NEED MOAR CHAPTERS rawr (too lazy to read raws on my own = u =)
    I Seem Unsuited for Dating - another modernverse one. is it really good? usually i avoid modern series since the setting bores me after a while, so it definitely needs to have an element that holds my interest
    Cat K - what's this?! i've never heard of it before....looks really interesting! okay i'll go reeeeead it!
    Rebirth of the Tyrant: Regent Prince is too Fierce - i've read and loved this to pieces, but are you sure the TLer 100% dropped it? weren't they just looking for people to help them translate together recently??? (btw the author's also written a modern series with a time-traveling do-over revenge female MC, and it's pretty epic too)

20. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    https://shainag425.livejournal.com/5629.html