Qidian sent DMCA notice to Patreon for all WW translators

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Chivas, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YWL

YWL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s really just that one Mr. All-translators-are-leeches-we-gotta-support-authors-and-publishers that’s spouting all this bullshit.

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I don't deny that Qidian is probably being pretty scummy about all this! xD

I was just replying to a specific point of Daofox's post because it was a blatant lie, there was a reason I ignored all the rest of his post! \(^^)/
    Hmmmmmm... I do think you are probably right on this point, though I'd have to be a CN author to confirm or deny it.

But I was talking from the perspective of someone that writes in English and translates to English, and I can assure you that writing takes a lot longer is a lot more taxing.

Ah, and I translate JP WNs, not LNs, I don't have the money to buy LNs even if I do want to... T.T
    So, I'm working from the raws that didn't go through any editing except from the author's own editing...
    *giggles* Same here, I read those threads mainly because I like to be informed about it, but I don't care much about the issue in itself.

Nuffies are more important than Qidian drama~

Nino Sasou likes this.
  3. Mkill

Mkill Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you downright ignorant about the issue or just playing the role for the sake of convenience?

Qidian's premium has effectively diminished the number of free chapters released, from 2 a day to 1 (see release-that-witch and pretty much every other premium).

WW's subscription has not. It's Extra, on top of what you had.

@Edit oh fuck, just quoted something from the early pages without realising. Oh well.

GrimKitty likes this.
  4. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So the real problem is readers have developed a great sense of entitlement.
    I really don't see the 'problem' ,because as QI made their point ,that they also want to transition from " FREE WORK FOR CONSUMERS " to
    "WORK THAT PROFITS BOTH COMPANY AND CONSUMERS" .
    The system they came up with is very good. If you can prove me otherwise feel free ,I am here to shut down those haters.

5. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay.. i'm one of those "haters" so please convince me.
    My argument is this "So what if their purpose is the 'oh so holy and righteousness that benefit everyone'. If they do it by framing, stealing, and other underhanded things? How can i trust them to do what their so called 'purpose' ?"

Slayerwolfx2, Astrum91 and Sharudeis like this.
  6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

@Lovely @akki Look look! Someone is making good use of that account! :love::love::love:

7. Lovely

Lovely 『Valentines Terror!』『Cherished Kitty』『Rika's Twin』

Reading List:
    Link
    XDDDDDDDDDD

8. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, then, what use is trusting WW, when they breach contract by allowing patreon?
    How is QI underhanded, when they have signed a contract and legally can bring translations to their site?

WW first breached contract by allowing translators to publish chapters under patreon paywall.

Do you mean stealing series like Cultivation Chat Group?
    They haven't stolen the previous translator work. In this case, they released a few chapters ahead and worked from chapter one on new translation.
    Other works, not hosted on ww, which ended on Qidan or as you guys say, are "poached", were paid for.

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobReach::blobReach::blobReach::blobReach::blobReach::blobReach::blobReach::blobReach::blobReach::blobReach:

Lovely likes this.
  10. bookwormer

bookwormer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what I get for going on vacation. Need all the popcorn!! I just spent three hours reading through this entire thread and the latest Qidian idiocy. Starting from last summer, when they broke off a contract in NUF, called WXW thieves, and tried to poach WXW translators in the same thread... up until now. And then illegally copying all of WXW's translations. And then sending WXW a DMCA for the entire site, even for novels not from Qidian. This shit is better than drama LUL.

But seriously. Can you not read? Qidian knew about Patreon and was okay with it. All their actions now are like a girl whining after their boyfriend dumped them. It's all here between RWX and #1 Qidian shill CKtalon: https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/3948624/

11. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    From the facts that i gathered, Qi decided to start a public flame war while the contract is "under negotiation".
    And please remember that there is/was a no disclosure clause. So who is the one that broke the contract first?

Also.. please dont put words into my mouth. I did not say that "i'm putting my trust on WW". I am however siding with WW on the premise of WW Vs Qi.
    My reason is because WW proven that their business conduct is good. Even before their partnership with Qi. While Qi on the other hand is a relatively new company(as in the international translation site) that has acted like a tyrant in their early(if not first) business deal.
    You might call this reason, bias. But between a company with a good raport and a company with an empty raport, which do you choose?

Slayerwolfx2 and Sharudeis like this.
  12. millman97

millman97 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Putting aside whether we blindly trust what RWX said on discord or not, did you even read the screenshot? :blobsweat_2: According to RWX, QI gave him 6 months to move Patreons in-house, and that was from May 2017. I'm not a maths genius, but I have a feeling it's been longer than 6 months.

GodBrandy and gaianova like this.
  13. gaianova

gaianova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is called confirmation bias.
    *shrugs* Normal human nature. If you believe that hard in something, you'll naturally just ignore everything that contradicts it

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a bit fair with WW, they first needed their new site up before they could move Patreon in-house, and this was delayed for ages because it ended up being a way bigger effort than they thought.

It's been around 1 month only since their new site is up, they're still fixing things up.

That aside, we don't know if RWX has been in contact with Qidian to explain the delays or to give a schedule of what he was doing in regards to their agreements. Judging from his posts, I'd say he was, but it's hard to tell without a statement from the other side.

Not that the delays on his own end are any justification for him to not follow his deals, but having a delay when you have a big project on the works isn't that unexpected, so some 6 extra months leeway wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Which ends up making things weird, as in... Why make this now that things are finally working on RWX's end, WW would probably follow their agreement soon... Well, maybe this will make them speed it up though.

Sharudeis likes this.
  15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so I was reading this thread...ultimately it's just a fight between shrills proclaiming the innocence of their side while attacking the other. makes for :blobpopcorn: but ultimately pointless. Opinions are already set, confirmation bias is everywhere. No one can say something factual when all the facts are unknown. Anyways, guys, this is gonna be hard but try to check your sources and not just scream at each other. Try to get the facts that are commonly accepted and ignore the obvious bullshit flying around cause there definitely are some shrills going around sprouting bullshit like nobody's business and they are organized.

Just chill out, eat some popcorn, and wait, cause few people will remember the sins committed by the victor.

16. Raobihr

Raobihr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that WW never owned the rights(besides the one that the owner did himself), however, I don't see any reason why Qidian couldn't state in their contract that they retain the right to any translation and all translators have to agree to the terms that they give up their translation as long as Qidian follow through with their end of the agreement.

But again that claim doesn't match what the words mean. from your own link:
    Basically Umbrella agreements are flexible so in my opinion
    "we had an oral commitment from Qidian stating that we can bring new novels onto the site, then bring them under the authorizations umbrella once every quarter. "

So I believe my interpretation that
    Feels to be more correct because of the word choice of WW oral agreement claim. WW didn't claim that the umbrella gave them permission to do it they claim that Qidian gave them a oral commitment that they could bring in more novels that would later be umbrella'd in, so basically the Umbrella agreement is vague and would still need to have some type of agreement made by every quarter.

I am pretty sure we are in agreement with each other. The initial novels most likely belong to WW, and all other novels belong to QI. I also agree that QI initial post could be interpreted to be libelous and most likely is, and that it is it will change my impression of QI post from being highly more professional than WW post too only a little more professional, but both of them being libelous and WW being a lot more but in defensive mode and anger so it would be more understandable.

17. Rethorian

Rethorian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxiaworld managed to come up with a system where they manage to profit for both themselves and the copyright holders of their novels, without gating an ever increasing number of chapters behind paywalls (Wuxiaworld does have locked chapters, but it's a fixed number), and without completely screwing translators out of a good chunk of their income by banning their patreons.

As a consumer, i'm much happier with the Wuxiaworld model. The owners of the novels they translate also seem happy with the arrangement, considering they agreed to it.

How about YOU prove to ME why the Qidian model is better than the Wuxiaworld model for both consumers and IP owners?

Also, while you're screaming on about how Qidian is trying to make money for their authors, go ahead and look up the cut they take from their authors and the contracts they make them sign. Slave contracts really show how much they want to support the authors and not simply line their own pockets. You would literally be better off directly wiring an author money if you want to support them, assuming their contract would even allow that.

I'm pretty sure even the most ardent Wuxiaworld defenders would concede that they probably did something wrong on the Patreon thing. If a court decides to award damages to Qidian for that, so be it. But the damages are pretty much just money.

Hosting Wuxiaworld translations illegally? That goes beyond just money. The longer Qidian hosts those translations, the longer they benefit in ways that can't be quantified easily. Their marketshare is growing, and possibly taking readers AWAY from Wuxiaworld. Stuff like that you can't simply ask a court to undo, or even put a price on.

You can hardly compare the two different breaches of contract and say they're equally as bad.

Sharudeis likes this.
  18. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It's part of the law usually, you can't take someone to court prior to giving them a notice and a period for them to try solving it amiably.

19. Raobihr

Raobihr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But translation that are used to make money without permission are illegal. I don't get what so hard to understand that when I say illegal translation I mean translation that are used to make money and don't have permission.

Also I already stated that I don't think all translators are leeches only the ones that try to make money doing it. And even those one I already said I appreciate them(kind of like the mail man). I mean most people here don't care about the legal translators that do major project but the ones that bring them "free" stuff.

20. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like we need a monthly QI debate thread..... you know...

Slayerwolfx2, Kuro_0ni and AliceShiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.