Qidian sent DMCA notice to Patreon for all WW translators

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Chivas, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumanshi

Rumanshi 『Demon Lord』『ルマンし』

Reading List:
    Link
    I, too, was joking. Though, I am the kind who would write the paper.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow your avi makes me think you are joking 24/7... >.>

*blames Rumanshi*

3. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    Whose to say i ain't?
    I think I need a better hobby....

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    :sweating_profusely: I was sincerely worried for a minute. you can write one XD

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm.... per page written give me 1k nuffies and i will.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats:
    As greedy as always~ xD

7. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm poor, mercy

Westeller and AliceShiki like this.
  8. YWL

YWL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmfao, resort to calling other names now instead of admitting how your logic was flawed?
    Good job, Mr. Translators-are-all-leeches

Chivas likes this.
  9. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    I am more interested in gravitational effect of those melons

Dark Omega likes this.
  10. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The WW pseudo law patreon shills are in full force.

11. Rumanshi

Reading List:
    Link
    This constant back and forth of calling people shills needs to stop. It's an ignorant practice with no logical reason to exist.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  12. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Yukkuri Oniisan likes this.
  13. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    SnowTime likes this.
  14. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Falsification of public documents is Perjury, and when the alleged violation of rights is nonexistent it is Fraud. And when published publicly, it could be slander/libel, if "malice" is proven that it was done repeatedly to ruin the reputation of someone.

The statute of limitations does not cover Fraud, meaning that cases against them for their "fake" DMCAs wouldn't expire. Hence Wuxiaworld can even spend 10 years building up a class action/suit against Qidian suing them for billions of dollars worth of damages, and the courts may still accept them.

Nope. That kind of "apology" is unacceptable after you accused them of your malicious theories without even taking the time to research about what you're talking about. If you're sincere with that, you should have removed what you posted or strike them through. It also does not help that you've come to represent QI supporters and acted in such a bad way, as if we're all petty and unthinking bashers against translators. I'm not pro QI or WW, but I supported both for the simple fact that they brought more novels to the english market, but I disagree with QI's "thuggish" business strategy.

QI's strategy at using the full force of the law (DMCAs) might have worked against their local competitors but it's a PR nightmare when you try to defend what they're doing. Also such a strategy is simply unsustainable (not cost-effective) because the internet remembers every crappy move you take against your perceived "competitors". This resulted in the current stockpile of ill reputation, like creditcard debts, which only serve as more material for their detractors in the future. This blowback might not have been apparent to QI because they developed in a sterile environment where opinions are rigidly controlled and doing these things are typical. I'm dismayed to see how their forums are filled with such hate & vitriol by their very own readers & "supporters".

I'm not for this black vs white, QI vs WW thing, because people come & go but business interests remain the same. Just look at what happened with Uber & Grab. I've donated to WW (CD&Breakers) and even paid for SS in QI. There's not much difference to me as long as the novels I read are high quality and continued.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    care to explain? I only see it more toward aerodynamic~
    as for gravity? hoahem seem big boob have good potential flying on standing pose and if it on superman mode da article too bad not see it~

16. Raobihr

Raobihr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to inform you but my "malicious theory" is in fact a fact that both WW and QI have admitted. The only part wrong about what I said was whether it was just WW claims or if they have provided actual evidence instead of the nonsense they have been blurting out. The link that I provided is WW post that happen little over a week ago that has part of the contract translated, nearly over a year after the incident and more than enough time for someone to start to ignore the whole thing, especially with WW consent libelous and nonsensical claims. The only thing I am apologizing for is not having all the information because it seems they do in fact have rights to sell the initial novels but nothing more.

I was going to strike them through but I couldn't find the option for it, and nothing in my statement was actually wrong so I just made it smaller. At the end of the day the link that I provided only makes WW look a little better because it isn't the whole thing, however, it is still possible for QI to be in the right so it is still claim vs claim but WW looking more in the right with the initial novels and QI being in the right for everything else.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  17. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I normally don't like what QI does, but this time I kinda support them. Patreon is a business model where we (the consumer) support them (the artist/producer) so they can concentrate and produce a better result. It can be more output or higher quality.

One of the good example is Rainbow Turtle. I don't know if she give "future" chapter but she set milestones which when reached she will churn out more chapter.

most of the patreon right now is "donate X then you'll get to enjoy Y chapter in advance". I'm not saying this model is wrong, but it doesn't push the TL to become better while the patreon only got 1 time benefit.

18. Rethorian

Rethorian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI isn't stopping Patreons because it's going to benefit consumers. They're doing it because THEY WANT MONEY. Or arguably, to prevent people from profiting off their IP. There are plenty of Qidian translators who aren't happy they're going to lose a giant chunk of their income. Something tells me people aren't going to start buying thousands of dollars worth of spirit stones a month when they shut down either.

atomic_fetch_add likes this.
  19. atomic_fetch_add

atomic_fetch_add Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "There are plenty of Qidian translators who aren't happy they're going to lose a giant chunk of their income"
    do you have any evidence that back your claims?

buying spirit stone to read novel earlier is just a new patreon system without the middleman

20. Rethorian

Rethorian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't really have much evidence apart from the fact anyone would not be happy losing part their income. Someone mentioned that some Qidian translator was going to lose 30% of his income earlier, but maybe I misread that. It's also probably much more annoying for the translators who moved to Qidian, as opposed to ones that started on Qidian because their patreons are larger.

I mean, maybe people are just itching to spend real money on spirit stones as opposed to just using free stuff and leeching. Maybe it's more profitable to milk every user for nickels and dimes as opposed to having a bunch of rich people donate $100 a month just because they're rich and they can. I don't believe so, but I guess we'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.