News volare welcomes our first print wuxia 'Song of Exile'!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by etvolare, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    I invite folks to leave positive welcomes/hype about wuxia/curiosity about the novel on our original post. I will be sending it to the author's family, and if published authors get excited about international readers, we might see more published novels in the scene!

Original link here: http://volarenovels.com/volare-welcomes-our-first-wuxia-song-of-exile/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You heard it in the new year, you heard it in the spring. You glimpsed it a few weeks ago, and today, we are incredibly delighted to announce that our first ever print wuxia novel has arrived! Song of Exile was written by Yun Zhongyue and is translated by Guan Zhong!

[​IMG]

Song Of Exile was originally published in 1965, and the 60s in general were known as the Golden Age of wuxia literature. Being a novel that went through the process of a publishing house, SOE comes with a tight plot, solid character development, and pacing that will draw you into the world of Cai Wenchang. This is also revisionist wuxia, a type that takes a more realistic and somewhat cynical look at the idea of heroes and villains.

Not only does SOE balance out the MC gender ratio on volare a bit XD, but it’s being translated by the very talented Guan Zhong. GZ is a veritable fount of translation knowledge and a fantastic writer himself. Such a combination of engrossing story and magic with word means that not only is this a song of exile, but a siren’s song commanding all of our attentions as well.

From the novel itself:
    SOE launches with 21 chapters today and a daily release schedule. And now, some words from translator GZ!
    Please, a warm hand and sparkly confetti for Song of Exile! Please say hello to the Yun Zhongyue’s family as well! I’ll be sending this post to them.

I invite folks to leave positive welcomes/hype about wuxia/curiosity about the novel on our original post. I will be sending it to the author's family, and if published authors get excited about international readers, we might see more published novels in the scene!

Original link here: http://volarenovels.com/volare-welcomes-our-first-wuxia-song-of-exile/

Ruyi, Slayerwolfx2, Kuro_0ni and 12 others like this.
  2. Ryogawa

Ryogawa Translator on Volarenovels and Liberspark

Reading List:
    Link
    Kyaaaah *guanbro fangirling*

Guan Zhong likes this.
  3. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah, looks awesome!

4. Princess Renesmee

Princess Renesmee Cry baby

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you !! There are many people, especially of Chinese descent with keen interest of classic wuxia novel yet limited by language barrier (especially proper translation from mandarin). I hope Song of exile became a sign of good start. :blobphone:

6. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woot \o/

7. RenarDusud1

RenarDusud1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A mediocre work from a mediocre author... Why not start from something shorter?

8. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Yun Zhongyue mediocre? No. He is an author with very much a style of writing of his own. Although that does make him much less mainstream an well-known compared to the bigger names, it does not mean that he's a mediocre author.

Compared to other wuxia novel authors, his works are far better placed in history. In fact, he actually does extensive research before writing his novels to ensure that his descriptions of the dynasty would match.

Unique? Yes. Lesser known? Yes. Mediocre? Hell no.

9. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice~!
    Congrats ^^/

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    19656.png
    later~
    wut~

11. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    +1000 support!

12. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the support everyone! :D It's always fun to celebrate good news together. May this be the start of more print novels in the scene.

I'm personally excited for SOE because Yun Zhongyue is a peer of Jin Yong, but we often only hear of the later. Hidden gems FTW! Yun Zhongyue is also well known for his historical accuracy as he does reams and reams of research for each novel. Realistic novels really appeals to me these days, given the sometimes fantastical numbers and distances we get quoted in webnovels sometimes.

And, since SOE is only 160 chapters long, so GZ actually released a good fifth of the novel for his launch. Don't save up too many chapters before reading! You'll potentially miss out on a raging comment section, like some did for DCF.

Kuro_0ni and gggo like this.
  13. RenarDusud1

RenarDusud1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read some of his works. In terms of Wuxia itself, there're not many initiatives in his works. Unlike Gu Long, Huang Yi, he didn't construct a unique power system, or give out some impressive opinions on Wugong. When it comes to the stories themselves, it's no surprise if you have already read Jin Yong and Huang Yi. I found the storyline somewhat boring and predictable. He's not a bad writer, but not an excellent one either.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.